AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Samsung 65JU7500. It's still in the box. I should have it up today and will report my findings on how it performs. I was going to purchase the UN65JS9500FXZA but I figured I would use the 7500 until the LG65EF9500 comes out. If you have one can you post how you like it as well and any recommendations for settings. I have never owned a samsung TV before but I am excited to see how this TV performs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just picked up the Samsung 65JU7500. It's still in the box. I should have it up today and will report my findings on how it performs. I was going to purchase the UN65JS9500FXZA but I figured I would use the 7500 until the LG65EF9500 comes out. If you have one can you post how you like it as well and any recommendations for settings. I have never owned a samsung TV before but I am excited to see how this TV performs.

BTW, I realized there was not an official 7500 thread so I created one. I hope I am doing this right. Not sure as I have never started one before.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
BTW, I realized there was not an official 7500 thread so I created one. I hope I am doing this right. Not sure as I have never started one before.
Yes ur doing it reserve the first 2 posts so you can make changes as necessary.. Take some pics and videos of set playing cable and blurays also 4k footage.How do you find pq how are blacks and colours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very impressed with this tv so far. I am coming from a 2013 Vizio 70"M series and the 3d on the vizio was amazing. The 3D on the 7500 looks just as good if not better. I never thought I would like active 3D coming from a passive set. I have not had a chance to mess with the tv but from what I have seen so far I am very impressed. If you are on the fence about this TV I will say it has met my expectations so far. No flashlighting in the corners. 4K youtube videos look jaw dropping (I know everyone says that but its true). I do notice some compression artifacts but I expect that from a streamed source. Sorry if any of my terminology might be off. I don't know if this helps anyone but I used the old wall mount (Simplicity SLF4) from my Vizio. I had originally purchased the LG 65UF8500 and was not impressed with the 3D as you had to be in the sweet spot or I would get a lot of crosstalk. In my haste of returning it I accidentally threw in my bag of extra screws and spacers from my wall mount. :( I called Best Buy and they said they couldn't see it in the box. I am sure they did not feel like opening it up and going through it. Long story short I was bummed out because I had no way of mounting my tv so I called Samsung and also reviewed the manual. The manual states that it need a M8 31.2 to 32.2mm for a third party mount. The lady at Samsung said it would take the M8 x 16mm. Maybe it would have with a different mount or not using the spacers provided with the 7500 but that is such a short screw that I decided to call again and get a second opinion. The next person at Samsung could not identify which screw to use and said to call the parts department. They didn't know either.
So here is what I figured out. I bought the M8 16mm, M8 30mm (they did not have the 31.2 - 32.2mm. The difference is pretty much a threads worth) and M8 40mm. I also bought about 24 washers that fit the M8 screw. The 7500 comes with spacers for the wall mount. Using the spacers and the M8 30mm did not work. It was too short. The M8 40mm was perfect but I did have to use 4 washers per each screw. Hope that helps someone with mounting.

·
Registered
77" A80J, 48" LG C1, X4700H, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
2,162 Posts
I grabbed the 750D at Costco yesterday, 65". Don't think there is any difference.
I will say that the colors were very close to accurate using DVE Bluray. Took very little adjustments to get all the colors boxes to fade together evenly. Only cyan was a little off in the end.

Of all the higher end sets I've tried this looks the best. I don't like the curve though. There are some lighting splotches as well as flashlighting in the corners that stand out too much if you get too far from center.

The micro dimming is fast and effect. Watched monsters university last night, and only in a couple scenes could you see it fading dark areas darker. And when you did see it, it only lasted about a second.

When playing games, I like slightly oversaturated colors. I can not get red right for this. Using the native color option red is perfect to me, but yellow is orange and green isn't right. In custom color I can't get it to match that red. If I reduce color temp all the way to cool, and jack the dynamic contrast to high, it gets close, but messes with everything else and crushes blacks too much. I eventually settled on standard color temp instead of the warm 1 I started with, and low dynamic contrast instead of off (CNET was told for another Samsung set dc needs to be on at least low for micro dimming to work properly, don't know if its still the same since this has an actual setting for dimming now).

Motion is ridiculously good. With smoothing all off, there is almost no ghosting at all, and very minimal judder. However, in 3D, even with smoothing off, it still applies smoothing giving it the soap opera effect. This is reason enough for me not to keep it. Will continue to play with it for a while though.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Good to see Costco is getting the new models in, looks like they will carry the 650,670,750 series and a 710d but only in 60".

Viper

·
Registered
509 Posts
I grabbed the 750D at Costco yesterday, 65". Don't think there is any difference.
I will say that the colors were very close to accurate using DVE Bluray. Took very little adjustments to get all the colors boxes to fade together evenly. Only cyan was a little off in the end.

Of all the higher end sets I've tried this looks the best. I don't like the curve though. There are some lighting splotches as well as flashlighting in the corners that stand out too much if you get too far from center.

The micro dimming is fast and effect. Watched monsters university last night, and only in a couple scenes could you see it fading dark areas darker. And when you did see it, it only lasted about a second.

When playing games, I like slightly oversaturated colors. I can not get red right for this. Using the native color option red is perfect to me, but yellow is orange and green isn't right. In custom color I can't get it to match that red. If I reduce color temp all the way to cool, and jack the dynamic contrast to high, it gets close, but messes with everything else and crushes blacks too much. I eventually settled on standard color temp instead of the warm 1 I started with, and low dynamic contrast instead of off (CNET was told for another Samsung set dc needs to be on at least low for micro dimming to work properly, don't know if its still the same since this has an actual setting for dimming now).

Motion is ridiculously good. With smoothing all off, there is almost no ghosting at all, and very minimal judder. However, in 3D, even with smoothing off, it still applies smoothing giving it the soap opera effect. This is reason enough for me not to keep it. Will continue to play with it for a while though.
I'm confused, is the 750D the same as JU7500? All I see on the website is HU8500's which I've never heard of.

·
Registered
542 Posts

I love this set, colors, PQ, overall everything about this set. 3D best i ever seeing and amazing to me that how well Directv channels turns out with this set (obviously good HD channels i'm talking about not SD channels at all and who watches them anyway!) I don't know my calibration how much factors in here but again love the set.

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/uploads/7940708/IMG_0955.JPG
This was my box so don't know about panels and versions and seems like this is a winner for me.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'm confused, is the 750D the same as JU7500? All I see on the website is HU8500's which I've never heard of.
HUxxxx would be last year's model.

The 750D is just Costco's version of the JU7500 (probably Sams Club and BJ's too).

I took it back already. The flashlighting, clouding, and uniformity were just too bad. The curve adds two more spots for flashlighting at the left and right side of the middle. Everything was really good, except I still couldn't get 3D to play without forcing smooth motion (even when smooth motion was set to off).

·
Registered
542 Posts
HUxxxx would be last year's model.

The 750D is just Costco's version of the JU7500 (probably Sams Club and BJ's too).

I took it back already. The flashlighting, clouding, and uniformity were just too bad. The curve adds two more spots for flashlighting at the left and right side of the middle. Everything was really good, except I still couldn't get 3D to play without forcing smooth motion (even when smooth motion was set to off).
I don't think you guys are talking about the same set here, my set almost perfect in every level are you sure 750D is same as JU7500? I don't think so and i don't think any Costco has these new 2015 sets. Please check your sources.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I don't think you guys are talking about the same set here, my set almost perfect in every level are you sure 750D is same as JU7500? I don't think so and i don't think any Costco has these new 2015 sets. Please check your sources.
Can you not check? Just cause its not on Costco's website, doesn't mean they don't have it. They had just gotten it that day, and had three of them at Mayfield Heights Ohio location. Do I need to show a picture of the receipt or something?
Display a dark scene from a 2.3:1 Blu-Ray and take a picture of that. Unless there is a large variance in sample to sample, it should have at least some flashlighting and clouding.
TV on Samsung's site.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JU750DFXZA
Comparison between the two, every option shown is the same.
http://www.samsung.com/us/compare/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279#category/N0000042/products/UN65JU7500FXZA%2CUN65JU750DFXZA

·
Registered
542 Posts
Can you not check? Just cause its not on Costco's website, doesn't mean they don't have it. They had just gotten it that day, and had three of them at Mayfield Heights Ohio location. Do I need to show a picture of the receipt or something?
TV on Samsung's site.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JU750DFXZA
Comparison between the two, every option shown is the same.
http://www.samsung.com/us/compare/#category/N0000042/products/UN65JU7500FXZA,UN65JU750DFXZA
If that is true amazing to me that my set to your can have that much of a differences one can be almost perfect and other has every problem you can name of

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
As far as I can tell, the curved sets (at least in the 7 series range) are edge lit. So there will be backlighting issues on all of them to some extent. How much someone is able to see or stand having is different person to person. To me, a $3k TV should have no backlighting issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does the UN65JU7500 have built in AC WiFi?

Nothing I read in the detailed specs indicate so.

Can UHD be streamed over AC WiFi or is a wired Ethernet connection recommend?

I am wall mounting mine, and haven't ran wires in the walls yet, so I am hoping AC WiFi is built in and will do the trick.

·
Registered
509 Posts

I talked to Samsung twice and they assured me there is no difference between the JU7500 and 750D in specs, features and design. It is merely a matter of reatiler specific model numbering. I can remember them doing this with I believe their T.O.C line. IIRC, the major electronics retailers were "750...950" etc. while Sam's, Costco etc.. were "740....930" or something to this effect. Although I am curious why it is $2,797 vs. $2,999. It came to $2,974 after tax. The rep said it's because they always negotiate with Samsung on behalf of their members to carry products at the lowest possible rate and that was the least Samsung would allow. It seems plausible to me so I went ahead.

Straight away I notice the box says "Future Ready" and will meet all 4K Blu-Ray standards through an evo kit. So this confirms for me that a future full size evolution kit will be released next year for those who were worried about these coming with a "mini-one connect" this year. Samsung reps also said as much. There is no Netflix or HBOGO. Are these supposed to be released soon? I haven't tried "Sports Mode." I thought it was just an option in Picture mode but it is a feature all by itself that you switch to. I will edit later after using it.

My initial impression is that the motion is much more natural and fluid than on my HU9000. The black levels are deep, very good even from an edge-lit panel and I'm coming from FALD. I do have some clouding, though minimal and only in a few areas of the screen. There is slight blooming. Overall I say better/more tolerable than my TH01---8550 and HU9000. There is very small dark radial areas in all four corners like when you hit "info" on Netflix. I returned a Vizio M 65 for this very reason but they are faint and much less distracting on the Samsung. They are only noticeable on fully bright, solid color scenes. Color is really vibrant as I have come to expect and a tad over-saturated as I prefer it. There is no banding that I have noticed yet and no flash-lighting. I have noticed dithering but I think that is due to DirecTV.

The up-scaling is about what I expected. Based on "Salacaks" review though I was hoping DirectV would look pristine as it does on my plasma but some channels/programs look great while others look terrible..... soft, grainy, noise---washed out. I don't have Netflix or HBOGO yet so I haven't seen any 4k on Netflix or how it handles high quality streams to really judge the picture and performance. I fully expect Satellite to look pitiful on every LCD, this is no exception. As I stated though some shows have looked impressive. For whatever reason 4k videos on Youtube that looked terrific on the 8550 and 9000 look soft and grainy like bad 720 or up-scaled 480. "Longwood Gardens" in 4k looked phenomenal on the other Samsung's so this has me perplexed. I hope support for 4k on Youtube just isn't active yet or there is a problem. My Sony X850B looked like this 750D with Youtube 4k, nowhere near actual 4k.

The new remote is so-so and I prefer last year's. I'm not a fan of Tizen so far as I was hoping so much more. It is rather annoying to hit menu and have to navigate through the "keypad" every time to get to the options above. I haven't seen a disable keypad yet, only the ability to move it from side to side. I'm not a fan of the new lay out but the interfaces look slick and modern. The adjustable settings are exactly the same as before. I was hoping there would be more options to adjust the image. I have no clue what "peak illumination" is doing and there is no demo for it. The '7 Wonders' Demo is not as impressive as the demo last year on the U9000. The picture did not blow me away and there is flicker through-out the entire thing. The scene when they are riding the camels through the caverns however is absolutely stunning. I am hoping that, that scene represents the true capability of this TV with a good native 4k source. Then I will be fully content.

The sound on this set is the best I have heard from Samsung, it almost sounds as if there is an integrated sub-woofer providing for a rich bass. The OS has been slightly laggy at times and slow to respond to commands. Not a big problem. Web browsing is indeed faster this year. I have gotten a "network cable disconnected" message about 4 times though and it clearly is not. I have to unplug and re-plug it in then it works again. Probably an early issue that will need a fix with firmware.

Overall I have to say I am not very bullish on this TV. I was hoping for vast strides from last year. I think it is pretty much a re-packaged HU9000---8550 with better motion. I really need to see 4k content to give a final judgement but this is my initial impression. I need more time with it and try more settings with more content out. Soccer on BeIn Sports looks rubbish. Lacking 4k I have not been blown away. There has been no jaw-dropping, "wow" moment. Judging from the demo I'm not sure I will ever have this moment. Hopefully with my settings on Netflix I will be amazed.

Settings:

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 10

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 38

Sharpness: 0

Color: 54

Advanced:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Native

Gamma: -2

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm 1

Digital Clean View: Low

Mpeg: Medium

HDMI: Auto

Film Mode: Auto 1

Auto Motion Plus: Custom------ Blur: 8 Judder: 3

Smart LED: High

·
Registered
542 Posts
I talked to Samsung twice and they assured me there is no difference between the JU7500 and 750D in specs, features and design. It is merely a matter of reatiler specific model numbering. I can remember them doing this with I believe their T.O.C line. IIRC, the major electronics retailers were "750...950" etc. while Sam's, Costco etc.. were "740....930" or something to this effect. Although I am curious why it is $2,797 vs. $2,999. It came to $2,974 after tax. The rep said it's because they always negotiate with Samsung on behalf of their members to carry products at the lowest possible rate and that was the least Samsung would allow. It seems plausible to me so I went ahead.

Can you tell me what was on the box about version of this set mine was TH01, i was wondering like last year models do we have in 2015 panel lottery too? Some sets are better than others?

·
Registered
17,446 Posts

Straight away I notice the box says "Future Ready" and will meet all 4K Blu-Ray standards through an evo kit. So this confirms for me that a future full size evolution kit will be released next year for those who were worried about these coming with a "mini-one connect" this year. Samsung reps also said as much. There is no Netflix or HBOGO. Are these supposed to be released soon? I haven't tried "Sports Mode." I thought it was just an option in Picture mode but it is a feature all by itself that you switch to. I will edit later after using it.

My initial impression is that the motion is much more natural and fluid than on my HU9000. The black levels are deep, very good even from an edge-lit panel and I'm coming from FALD. I do have some clouding, though minimal and only in a few areas of the screen. There is slight blooming. Overall I say better/more tolerable than my TH01---8550 and HU9000. There is very small dark radial areas in all four corners like when you hit "info" on Netflix. I returned a Vizio M 65 for this very reason but they are faint and much less distracting on the Samsung. They are only noticeable on fully bright, solid color scenes. Color is really vibrant as I have come to expect and a tad over-saturated as I prefer it. There is no banding that I have noticed yet and no flash-lighting. I have noticed dithering but I think that is due to DirecTV.

The up-scaling is about what I expected. Based on "Salacaks" review though I was hoping DirectV would look pristine as it does on my plasma but some channels/programs look great while others look terrible..... soft, grainy, noise---washed out. I don't have Netflix or HBOGO yet so I haven't seen any 4k on Netflix or how it handles high quality streams to really judge the picture and performance. I fully expect Satellite to look pitiful on every LCD, this is no exception. As I stated though some shows have looked impressive. For whatever reason 4k videos on Youtube that looked terrific on the 8550 and 9000 look soft and grainy like bad 720 or up-scaled 480. "Longwood Gardens" in 4k looked phenomenal on the other Samsung's so this has me perplexed. I hope support for 4k on Youtube just isn't active yet or there is a problem. My Sony X850B looked like this 750D with Youtube 4k, nowhere near actual 4k.

The new remote is so-so and I prefer last year's. I'm not a fan of Tizen so far as I was hoping so much more. It is rather annoying to hit menu and have to navigate through the "keypad" every time to get to the options above. I haven't seen a disable keypad yet, only the ability to move it from side to side. I'm not a fan of the new lay out but the interfaces look slick and modern. The adjustable settings are exactly the same as before. I was hoping there would be more options to adjust the image. I have no clue what "peak illumination" is doing and there is no demo for it. The '7 Wonders' Demo is not as impressive as the demo last year on the U9000. The picture did not blow me away and there is flicker through-out the entire thing. The scene when they are riding the camels through the caverns however is absolutely stunning. I am hoping that, that scene represents the true capability of this TV with a good native 4k source. Then I will be fully content.

The sound on this set is the best I have heard from Samsung, it almost sounds as if there is an integrated sub-woofer providing for a rich bass. The OS has been slightly laggy at times and slow to respond to commands. Not a big problem. Web browsing is indeed faster this year. I have gotten a "network cable disconnected" message about 4 times though and it clearly is not. I have to unplug and re-plug it in then it works again. Probably an early issue that will need a fix with firmware.

Overall I have to say I am not very bullish on this TV. I was hoping for vast strides from last year. I think it is pretty much a re-packaged HU9000---8550 with better motion. I really need to see 4k content to give a final judgement but this is my initial impression. I need more time with it and try more settings with more content out. Soccer on BeIn Sports looks rubbish. Lacking 4k I have not been blown away. There has been no jaw-dropping, "wow" moment. Judging from the demo I'm not sure I will ever have this moment. Hopefully with my settings on Netflix I will be amazed.

Settings:

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 10

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 38

Sharpness: 0

Color: 54

Advanced:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Native

Gamma: -2

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm 1

Digital Clean View: Low

Mpeg: Medium

HDMI: Auto

Film Mode: Auto 1

Auto Motion Plus: Custom------ Blur: 8 Judder: 3

Smart LED: High

good review. i dont think there was much expectations of the JU7500 besides to basically be very close to last years 9000. if you think about it, its actually a good thing. you get a version of last years 9000 for 2999, compared to 3999-4499 that the 9000 was for most of last year. if you want a true upgrade over the HU9000, you would have to step up to the js8500/js9000, but i think you already know that. so i think 2999 for the ju7500 is a nice deal, and thats launch price, eventually itll probably drop down to 2499.

do you still have the vizio P series fald or did you exchange that for this 7500?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can you tell me what was on the box about version of this set mine was TH01, i was wondering like last year models do we have in 2015 panel lottery too? Some sets are better than others?
Mine is a TH01 as well, so were the other 2 on the pallet. I picked out the first one then put it back, grabbed the last one and put it back and ended up taking the middle one. One of the other two or perhaps both could have been near perfect or maybe worse with problems. It is such a roll of the dice. Usually what will happen is in a few months for the second run we will start seeing TS01's or US02/QS04 etc. etc. until discontinuance.

If I didn't have this network cable error and the dark radials in the corners I would be extremely content. The blacks/lighting are about as good as you get on edge-lit without getting a proverbial 'perfect panel' which is more rare than unicorns riding tricycles.

Everything else falls within the norm of every LCD I have ever owned and what is to be expected with current non-HDR technology so no real complaints, only let-down after hearing from Samsung reps personally and executives in interviews all claiming image quality was the main focus this year and Samsung made great strides to improve the line-up. I mean, it's pretty much an HU9000 for $2,000 cheaper this year so it is an extremely great value by Samsung standards but it is not a picture quality titan as I was anticipating.

·
Registered
509 Posts
good review. i dont think there was much expectations of the JU7500 besides to basically be very close to last years 9000. if you think about it, its actually a good thing. you get a version of last years 9000 for 2999, compared to 3999-4499 that the 9000 was for most of last year. if you want a true upgrade over the HU9000, you would have to step up to the js8500/js9000, but i think you already know that. so i think 2999 for the ju7500 is a nice deal, and thats launch price, eventually itll probably drop down to 2499.

do you still have the vizio P series fald or did you exchange that for this 7500?
I agree 100% Ray. It is essentially a HU9000 for $1,500-$2,000 cheaper and with better motion, MUCH better in my particular case. So by Samsung standards this is a major coup for the consumer. I wonder if the JS8500 will really even truly be an upgrade from the 7500. Without being FALD or HDR I don't see "nano crystal color" making that great of an improvement. It will still have the back-lighting issues, cable/satellite will always be soft, Samsung motion is Samsung motion. Same operating systems, same key features etc. At best we can hope it will resemble the "triluminous" engine but that doesn't warrant $1,200 for me. Color is my personal least important component to picture quality. I am most concerned with black levels, motion and contrast. I can't differentiate greater color without a side-by-side comparison. It all seems relative to me.

I anticipate this TV being $1,899 and the 7100 $1,599 at some point in the year or early 2016. Budget HDR sets and Vizio's 2015 FALD M & P series are certainly going to drop the price on these significantly. The 8550 came down $1,000 at different times in 2014 really only competing with the 850B and P series seeing Panasonic just isn't sold anywhere other than Best Buy. I think HDR is going to drastically change the market. These will soon be today's 1080p TV's in my opinion.

I did an exchange for the Vizio. Losing those black levels hurts pretty bad. That was better than plasma black. But for the web browsing, gloss screen, sound, soon to be HBOGO, adjustable motion, the many more adjustable picture options, design and remote I can handle the trade off of the 5 inches and blacks. The Vizio motion is too alien, they really need to add customization as the presets are too noticeably unnatural. If the Samsung was FALD I would be super-impressed. After experiencing FALD that is just what this TV is lacking, that added so much depth.

The only way I will consider returning this TV in 90 days is if some unforeseen event takes place or Panasonic offers the CX850 for a few hundred more. Or if the Vizio R series really materializes with specs similar to the 9500. Sony is not an option and I am not shelling out $5k for an edge-lit JS9000 so the 75000 looks like best in class for me at the moment.

1 - 20 of 488 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.