AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 8459 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo /forum/post/20159750


Thanks for the B-day comments guys. The D7000 should have all the options that the 8000 has. If you do have backlight bleed in the corners turn Color tone to Darkest. That should get rid of it as it has with some of the other members here already.

Won't a calibration disc show that Darkest crushes black levels though? That's almost the definition of what you're doing, I think. This won't only make black "black," but dark grays will be black as well. Seems to me this is a double-edged sword, not some panacea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyingreene /forum/post/20159501


Crysis on the PC with Tri-d drivers. The 3d in this game is amazing. Dead Space 2 and Left for Dead 2 also looked incredible in 3d. Avatar for the PC as well. All I can say is wow. This is what 3d was made for.



I would love to see some images/video of Crysis on this beast. What video card are you running with?


How hard is it to get an AMD card running games in 3D on your TV?


(I already have my AMD 4890 hooked via HDMI, but looking to upgrade around when I get my D8000)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyingreene /forum/post/20159501

I am having an issue with the colors not being uniform across the full screen... for example the red on the warning screen at the beginning of the disc is lighter on the sides of the screen. Also I noticed greys looked off. Any scene with smoke looked darker in some areas and lighter in others. I will mess around with the settings for the next few days to see if I can adjust this.

Uh-oh. That sounds an awful lot like mura/clouding. Given Samsung's history with that, you might not want to investigate that any further. Still, if you do, pictures to show what you're seeing would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob /forum/post/20160760


Uh-oh. That sounds an awful lot like mura/clouding. Given Samsung's history with that, you might not want to investigate that any further. Still, if you do, pictures to show what you're seeing would be awesome.

You like plasma better no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Just had to use my lenspen vidimax for the first time on my d8000, my daughter got a hold of my TV and left some nasty fingerprints all over the screen when I went to the bathroom. This has to be the best screen cleaning kit I've ever owned, I highly recommend getting this kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadeus /forum/post/20160966


You like plasma better no?

No, I generally like LCD better, but I don't like clouding (who does?). That's part of why I much prefer full array local dimming over this edge lit stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob /forum/post/20161036


No, I generally like LCD better, but I don't like clouding (who does?). That's part of why I much prefer full array local dimming over this edge lit stuff.

OK. But I think this year the D8000 will be better than previous models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
I spent some time with the 7000 and 8000 side by side and tried to set them up to the same settings, the 8000 is much better. the 8000 has better contrast more even back lighting and deeper colors. If you can squeeze the extra cost I would go 8000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Just spent a few minutes with my 46D8000, performed a very quick & rudimentary calibration. Initial impressions are very favorable as an upgrade from my 46C8000. It is exactly what I was hoping for, namely much better black level & black uniformity in a pitch black room watching a movie late at night. My guests and I often found the C8000 almost garish in this regard. It's not 100%, probably closer to 95%, but for me -- it's good enough. And I consider myself somewhat picky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Got the 55D700 delivered today and it is indeed slick looking with regard to style. Not sure the slickness is picture deep though I'm afraid. My old set is a Sharp LC-52D62U so I am no stranger to screen artifacts. Went through several trying to get a set with minimal banding and finally got a livable set. Since then i have always been enamored of the image.


This Samsung has issues galore with the right content on screen. We watched an on-demand film about the ocean and underwater scened reveal a huge amount of backlight banding. Not just to my overcritical eyes either. My fiance asked (of her own accord) what the l shaped dark shadowy area was all about. Banding my dear. Not only that but a black screen revealed the bright corners in addition to some clearly visible mura in the bottom right quadrant and a couple of more minor splotches scattered around.


This was with settings set to movie mode. Warm1 color temp. All processing of any kind off (especially black enhancers that crush blacks).


I also notice some black crush no matter how I set the screen and a sort of blueish cast to very dark blacks (independent of the color temp) that I noticed several years ago on SPVA panels that seems to still be around. Off axis viewing increases this considerably, and is nowhere near as good as my old Sharp either.


I hate to say it, but while the glossy LED lit screen here is a dream to most average people, it isn't as good as my former sharp where tonality, shadow detail, and screen uniformity are concerned (and given the Sharp's banding problem that's pretty bad).


Is the D8000 really that much better? I may have to try it before trying one of the new Quattron TVS (which I am also afraid of because of the stupid yellow pixel nonsense).


3D was pretty good however. Despite some dizziness and eye darting that may just be an issue with me the crosstalk I saw on demos of last years sets is almost completely gone. Very interesting that I am so dizzy when viewing though. My eyes just have this urge to dart around. Seemed to get better as I viewed but aside from that the depth was incredible. Definitely neat.


So, anyone with the D8000 seeing similar issues? Should I just return this or try the big brother?


No trolling here. I've been reading about how great Samsung is for years now, and admit I have been dazzled by a store demo or 5. Maybe it's not the set for me though I so want it to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 /forum/post/0


Got the 55D700 delivered today and it is indeed slick looking with regard to style. Not sure the slickness is picture deep though I'm afraid. My old set is a Sharp LC-52D62U so I am no stranger to screen artifacts. Went through several trying to get a set with minimal banding and finally got a livable set. Since then i have always been enamored of the image.


This Samsung has issues galore with the right content on screen. We watched an on-demand film about the ocean and underwater scened reveal a huge amount of backlight banding. Not just to my overcritical eyes either. My fiance asked (of her own accord) what the l shaped dark shadowy area was all about. Banding my dear. Not only that but a black screen revealed the bright corners in addition to some clearly visible mura in the bottom right quadrant and a couple of more minor splotches scattered around.


This was with settings set to movie mode. Warm1 color temp. All processing of any kind off (especially black enhancers that crush blacks).


I also notice some black crush no matter how I set the screen and a sort of blueish cast to very dark blacks (independent of the color temp) that I noticed several years ago on SPVA panels that seems to still be around. Off axis viewing increases this considerably, and is nowhere near as good as my old Sharp either.


I hate to say it, but while the glossy LED lit screen here is a dream to most average people, it isn't as good as my former sharp where tonality, shadow detail, and screen uniformity are concerned (and given the Sharp's banding problem that's pretty bad).


Is the D8000 really that much better? I may have to try it before trying one of the new Quattron TVS (which I am also afraid of because of the stupid yellow pixel nonsense).


3D was pretty good however. Despite some dizziness and eye darting that may just be an issue with me the crosstalk I saw on demos of last years sets is almost completely gone. Very interesting that I am so dizzy when viewing though. My eyes just have this urge to dart around. Seemed to get better as I viewed but aside from that the depth was incredible. Definitely neat.


So, anyone with the D8000 seeing similar issues? Should I just return this or try the big brother?


No trolling here. I've been reading about how great Samsung is for years now, and admit I have been dazzled by a store demo or 5. Maybe it's not the set for me though I so want it to be.

Don't waste your money, trade it for the 8000. At first I thought the plus in local dimming was a waste and gimmicky until I spent 60 minutes with a 7000 and a 8000 side by side. I could not remove the blue cast from the blacks on the D7000 and there were many other issues like washed out grayish blacks and colors, the blacks on the D8000 were as black as anything I have seen. The difference was so great I thought the panels must not be the same. Also do not use the movie preset, on this set it sucks. Try the following: I am not trying to attack 7000 owners and and hoping there might be a quality control issue on the 7000, all the sets might not be this bad.



PS: I have owned three Sharps including their 10K back lit LED, the D8000 smokes any Sharp.


Standard Mode:

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 43

Color: 60

Tint: 50

Sharpness: 30


Color Temp: Warm 2

Black Level: Dark

Led Dimming: ON

Turn all Noise filters off
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
173 Posts
Hello,


I installed a new receiver today with the D8000 - a Yamaha A2000 and I have the TV connected to the TV via the HDMI monitor out. When launching the smart apps I can't seem to get any audio out of the apps - Netflix being a great example. I have enabled ARC on the TV and Receiver, the TV does not have a lot of other audio options. Any ideas on something I can look at here?


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
I've noticed a bug with my 46D8000. I wasn't able to adjust the backlight level until I turned the TV off and then back on. By this -- I mean I could literally choose any number I wanted for the backlight, it simply wouldn't adjust it. So I turned off, then on, and it was then changeable.


Also had a line going from the middle right side of the screen right to the center, a black line perhaps a couple pixels in height. That persisted between turning off/on, but went away when I chose Picture mode: Movie, then back to my default of Standard.


There are definite firmware bugs in this beast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
In fact, I have a hardware problem in part. The line in the middle of the screen goes away or gets worse if I put a little pressure on the right side of the bezel. Looks like my nirvana is on hold till I get this rma'd. Hopefully Vanns will cross ship.
 
761 - 780 of 8459 Posts
Top