AVS Forum banner

5021 - 5040 of 8719 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352378

I am amazed that ABC is still at 720p. NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, and PBS are all at 1080i. Shoot, even telemundo is at 1080i
That is why a made the remark about 4k in another thread. Which I will love but if we can't ever get great 1080i/p from these providers yet and it has been years into the HD generation. How are they going to deliver good 4k.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352496

That is why a made the remark about 4k in another thread. Which I will love but if we can't ever get great 1080i/p from these providers yet and it has been years into the HD generation. How are they going to deliver good 4k.

So true. I am not getting 4K tv till OTA is 4K.. I suspect it will be a long time! The networks are not going to spend $$$ to update all their equipment when they can't even update to 1080p!

Reactions: nosumer

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352508

So true. I am not getting 4K tv till OTA is 4K.. I suspect it will be a long time! The networks are not going to spend $$$ to update all their equipment when they can't even update to 1080p!
I figure it will be about forever and a day.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did see a 4K TV at bestbuy the other day and while the pictures were great, the action movements were terrible. Seriously, if you are just using the 4K tv as a photo viewer, it is great but for a movie with action, no way! It is not prime time .. I will wait it out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Most of the cable services still use mpeg 2 compression and all I have to say about that is the 80's call and they want there compression standard back lol.

Mpeg 4 is much better with less degradation.

All my comments are in good fun but ture.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just got one of these guys over the weekend. I basically bought what I could afford. I currently have a Sony HX909 with the nice Gorilla glass on it and one thing about the Samsung is a horrible glare. My Sony, which was in the same spot as where the Samsung is now never had a glare problem at all. I think the screen is much better and the Gorilla glass anti-glare on it is much better but I can't complain too much since I did expect a little less quality dropping down in the hierarchy of the TV set line. I do think Sony XBR high end series are the best in the business and I just couldn't afford that this time. Even though the Samsung is an older model, I do think the picture is great and it is suiting me just fine. I replaced the Sony since it was a 52" set, I just needed something larger. Is there anything to do to cut back on the glare? I have a floor lamp behind where I sit that I keep on for the ambient light in the room and I sometimes spot that right in the TV. Of course when I start to get involved into the TV show or movie, I don't notice it as much. Sorry, there were 168 pages to read and I couldn't read them all...so sorry if anything has been repeated. I hope to keep enjoying the set and I'll get some pictures of it, since the stand that it is on is a perfect fit!

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352378

I am amazed that ABC is still at 720p. NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, and PBS are all at 1080i. Shoot, even telemundo is at 1080i
I'm pretty sure Fox is still at 720p.

·
Registered
942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbol  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352681

I thought this thread was related to the Samsung unxxf8000?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbol  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352681

I understand what you are saying. But with a lot of people talking about my picture is blurry here and in the w850a forum. Is it educational I think to some as to why they might be see this. So it really is about this TV and many others. As I have see post of people taking TV's back for this and getting other brands to try and solve a problem that has nothing to do with X TV.

Just trying to shed some light on things. So sorry if you feel it was off topic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 55F8000 should be getting delivered pretty soon and I will have an opportunity to plug it in before signing off, after that I can no longer return the TV, can someone tell me what I need to look for to make sure I have a good set with minimal clouding etc..?

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352662

I just got one of these guys over the weekend. I basically bought what I could afford. I currently have a Sony HX909 with the nice Gorilla glass on it and one thing about the Samsung is a horrible glare. My Sony, which was in the same spot as where the Samsung is now never had a glare problem at all. I think the screen is much better and the Gorilla glass anti-glare on it is much better but I can't complain too much since I did expect a little less quality dropping down in the hierarchy of the TV set line. I do think Sony XBR high end series are the best in the business and I just couldn't afford that this time. Even though the Samsung is an older model, I do think the picture is great and it is suiting me just fine. I replaced the Sony since it was a 52" set, I just needed something larger. Is there anything to do to cut back on the glare? I have a floor lamp behind where I sit that I keep on for the ambient light in the room and I sometimes spot that right in the TV. Of course when I start to get involved into the TV show or movie, I don't notice it as much. Sorry, there were 168 pages to read and I couldn't read them all...so sorry if anything has been repeated. I hope to keep enjoying the set and I'll get some pictures of it, since the stand that it is on is a perfect fit!

The best thing I can suggest is to lose the lamp behind you. Instead, try an ambient (bias) light behind the set. Can't reflect off the screen and offers an improvement in percieved color and contrast. A cheap white rope light can save you some bucks and may do the trick.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagic  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4920#post_24339366

is there a way to go back on firmware on the un55f8000.

I am running 1118.1 and would like to go back to 1116.1 picture seem better.

I downloaded it and extract it on a USB, but tv would not load it any advice please thanks.

You don't need to downgrade. The PQ is the same from 1116>1117>1118 and every version prior for that matter. It's probably your source/signal that is crappy and not the firmware. Put in a good quality blu-ray and it should look great.

After every FW update since this TV was released there are always a lot of "PQ is better" and "PQ is worse" comments here on AVS. I've never seen a noticeable difference and neither has my meter that I used to calibrate my F8000 last June. In 8 months and numerous firmware updates, I've not had to change my calibration settings whatsoever (just verified it again with my meter a few weeks ago).

That said, there have been a few forum members who experienced issues after a FW update which were resolved after doing a factory reset (something might have gotten messed up during the FW install). If you still think your picture looks worse, you might try that - just write down all of your settings first!

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352662

It is a mirror in the daytime.. I only watch it at night so I keep all lights off and the window blinds off.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352948

I understand what you are saying. But with a lot of people talking about my picture is blurry here and in the w850a forum. Is it educational I think to some as to why they might be see this. So it really is about this TV and many others. As I have see post of people taking TV's back for this and getting other brands to try and solve a problem that has nothing to do with X TV.

Just trying to shed some light on things. So sorry if you feel it was off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24352797

I agree. Even thou this is a samsung F8000 thread it is good to discuss other variables that people might mistake as an issue with the TV but in reality it is the souce. If I was watching SD on the TV, I would say, it looks terrible but if I were to switch to HD say NBC 1080i, the picture would be fantastic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my UN46F8000 few weeks ago. I couldn't find any fault with it yet. So far it's picture perfect! Except for 3D mode.

This must be a very silly question... Out of the box, the 3D mode was deactivated. The Picture > 3D option is greyed out, with the following message:

"This function isn't available when 3D is disabled."

How do I enable it?

pax

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters5  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24353711

Just got my UN46F8000 few weeks ago. I couldn't find any fault with it yet. So far it's picture perfect! Except for 3D mode.

This must be a very silly question... Out of the box, the 3D mode was deactivated. The Picture > 3D option is greyed out, with the following message:

How do I enable it?

pax
I think you have to feed it a 3D source first, then turn on 3D.  Forget, I don't watch much 3D.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters5  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5010#post_24353711

How do I enable it?

pax

You need to have a 3D signal being fed to the TV. If you have DirecTV tune to channel 107 or insert a Blu-ray DVD with 3D content. Also make sure you have an HDMI 1.4 cable for 3D.

·
Registered
771 Posts
For 3d, this is what I do, I have the oppo player and it is on hdmi1 for the tv source.

I switch the input on the TV to hdmi1 and then turn on the oppo and put in the 3d disc. It will then read it and on the TV, it will say it is switching to 3d mode once the menu for the 3d movie shows up.

(for all the previews, it is 2d so nothing special)..

Simple as that.

The sceen will get blurry and once I activate the 3d glasses, everything is in 3d!

Reactions: sideout99

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/5040#post_24354132

For 3d, this is what I do, I have the oppo player and it is on hdmi1 for the tv source.

I switch the input on the TV to hdmi1 and then turn on the oppo and put in the 3d disc. It will then read it and on the TV, it will say it is switching to 3d mode once the menu for the 3d movie shows up.

(for all the previews, it is 2d so nothing special)..

Simple as that.

The sceen will get blurry and once I activate the 3d glasses, everything is in 3d!

Yep, what he, HPQ, said

5021 - 5040 of 8719 Posts