AVS Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/20418181

P8H67-M EVO

What do you mean change any settings? I changed the setting only applicable to my equipments such as refresh rate for my display, extended display for my plasma and projector and 7.1 channel for the audio.

I have MSI H67MA-E35 board. By changing settings I meant did you change any settings in either the realtek driver app or w7 sound control panel? I cannot believe it is related to motherboards. What are the audio and video driver you are running? May be I can give those a try.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20420116

Newegg lists 13 Z68 motherboards, as low as $120.

Reviews

- Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review by Anand

- Virtu 1 by Anand

- Virtu 2 by Anand
I'm There!!! .... Thanks Rene

Edit: After looking at the prices & features, I'm definitely glad that I waited for Z68 release; I see no reason to pay the same (or more!) for an H67 at this point over Z68. Definitely going with a Z68. Although there's only 3 Micro ATX boards out of all those so far - Good news is that I have to wait till around 5/22 for the i3-2105 to release - hopefully by then I will have a few more Z68 mATX choices available. This is looking good & solid!!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20420823

SSD caching is looking pretty cool. But if the $110 price for that 20gb drive is true thats too much imo. $50 sounds perfect to me.

Smart Response Technology works with any SSD. Intel 311 Series is a SLC SSD, roughly twice pricier than MLC SSD (we usually buy a MLC SSD, perhaps
). It's faster in write. See the chart below (from tom's hardware ); all SSDs are used as a cache. In the combination of HDD + X25-V, X25-V is the bottleneck because its sequential write is only 35 MB/s (much worse than HDD alone!).

It looks like the best choice is still an SSD boot disk (a 32/40GB MLC SSD for HTPC / 80GB or more for a desktop PC [boot disk] + HDDs [data]).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneonefive /forum/post/20420812

I have MSI H67MA-E35 board. By changing settings I meant did you change any settings in either the realtek driver app or w7 sound control panel? I cannot believe it is related to motherboards. What are the audio and video driver you are running? May be I can give those a try.

I never touch the Realtek tab since I only use the HDMI thru the Intel Audio Device. I am using the older driver which is 2219, other Intel drivers I tried, I had nothing but BSOD problem. Please refer the thread below to see the Intel driver problem.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/...t=120&tstart=0

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant
hdmiOn (or a utility that does the same thing) might address this issue.
Thanks for the suggestion babgvant, I will definitely check that out.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdaigle /forum/post/20419417

15W idle for the cpu? Thats GREAT! Just to be sure: you are using a picopsu-80 with this configuration? Did you have to get the P4 cable to get it to work? If memory serves, the 80 does not come with a p4 cable by default - you gotta buy it separate (and more importantly know that you have to buy it :))

Yup, 15W idle for the whole system, and yes, using the picopsu-80 with a separate p4 cable. The picopsu-80 actually has a mini p4 cable adapter specifically made for it which you can buy separately, but it's too short for the DH67CF, so I bought a regular p4 adapter. Works well.

On another note...the system boots so quickly that I can't even get into bios no matter how fast I press F2. Probably going to try disconnecting the boot ssd.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phy88 /forum/post/20424596

Yup, 15W idle for the whole system, and yes, using the picopsu-80 with a separate p4 cable. The picopsu-80 actually has a mini p4 cable adapter specifically made for it which you can buy separately, but it's too short for the DH67CF, so I bought a regular p4 adapter. Works well.

On another note...the system boots so quickly that I can't even get into bios no matter how fast I press F2. Probably going to try disconnecting the boot ssd.

Have you tried DEL?

Quote:

On a very similar setup (still on the way) i ordered Premium picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC (just the 150W brick as the 120 has a fan) mostly out of the review of missingremote used that, and comes with 24pin n 4pin cpu so i figure was a simpler way to go, but seeing your setup is working great, im kinda wondering if Premium picoPSU-80/6.6A 80W AC-DC + 4-Pin P4 Mini Power Cable might be more efficient with how low the 2100T idles, even at load im expecting 60W max.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula /forum/post/0

Have you tried DEL?

Yup, tried it as well...not that I need to get into the bios, but it's still a funny issue. I probably should have just left the boot options in the bios alone since it was already booting very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula /forum/post/0

On a very similar setup (still on the way) i ordered Premium picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC (just the 150W brick as the 120 has a fan) mostly out of the review of missingremote used that, and comes with 24pin n 4pin cpu so i figure was a simpler way to go, but seeing your setup is working great, im kinda wondering if Premium picoPSU-80/6.6A 80W AC-DC + 4-Pin P4 Mini Power Cable might be more efficient with how low the 2100T idles, even at load im expecting 60W max.

Yeah, I have that same 80W ac-dc adapter as well. The 4-pin mini power cable was too short though, so I bought a regular molex to p4. Works well with no issues. In terms of efficency, I doubt it's anything significant.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
 Celeron

- G540 2-core/2-thread 2.50GHz L3=2MB 65W

- G530 2-core/2-thread 2.40GHz L3=2MB 65W

- G440 1-core/1-thread 1.60GHz L3=2MB 35W

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:

Start pressing/releasing F2 every 1/2 second after turning it on.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
What do you guys recommend as the best DVR Card to install in your Sandy Bridge HTPC? I'm looking for something that would allow me to record shows from my Comcast Cable in HD Quality (Including 5.1 Audio).

So far I have been looking at the Hauppauge Colossus H.264 Video Recorder PCI Express 1x card [ LINK ]. Just want to make sure there isn't something else better out there.

I do need the ability to schedule recordings (via software) for upcoming shows. I believe the Colossus is able to switch the station to the necessary station to record the show.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/20426497

What do you guys recommend as the best DVR Card to install in your Sandy Bridge HTPC? I'm looking for something that would allow me to record shows from my Comcast Cable in HD Quality (Including 5.1 Audio).

So far I have been looking at the Hauppauge Colossus H.264 Video Recorder PCI Express 1x card [ LINK ]. Just want to make sure there isn't something else better out there.

I do need the ability to schedule recordings (via software) for upcoming shows. I believe the Colossus is able to switch the station to the necessary station to record the show.

Thanks.

Hi mickey79,

Beside what you suggested, I and most people also using Centon, see below, to watch, record and DVR the TV content from cable provider like Comcast. I have been using few weeks now and beside little bit of trial and errors and tweaking to make it to work, I am please with this product and result.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/

Asus P8H67 Evo

i3 2100

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/20426991

Hi mickey79,

Beside what you suggested, I and most people also using Centon, see below, to watch, record and DVR the TV content from cable provider like Comcast. I have been using few weeks now and beside little bit of trial and errors and tweaking to make it to work, I am please with this product and result.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/

Asus P8H67 Evo

i3 2100

Hey hlkc,

It looks like a pretty neat piece of equipment - but unfortunately it's more then double the cost of the Hauppage Colossus; that being the case I would prefer the Colossus card.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/20427045

Hey hlkc,

It looks like a pretty neat piece of equipment - but unfortunately it's more then double the cost of the Hauppage Colossus; that being the case I would prefer the Colossus card.

Thanks!!

mickey79,

No problem. If I may I like to point out few differences to you. First, Ceton is doing everything natively, hints no HDMI in, component cable out and control the DVR using IR blaster. Second, we can record pay channel contents like CNN, HBO, SHW... into our HDDs. Third, we can share up to 3 tunners using Ceton with other extenders/HTPCs in our house, hints we don't need other tuners in the extender/HTPC to record and watch live TV anymore. Last, we don't need to pay $15 per DVR per month per location, I am saving $30 right there per month. To sum up, it is easily justify the $200 different between 2 products therefore I did not go to that route and end up using Ceton InfiniTV4 today.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/20427173

mickey79,

No problem. If I may I like to point out few differences to you. First, Ceton is doing everything natively, hints no HDMI in, component cable out and control the DVR using IR blaster. Second, we can record pay channel contents like CNN, HBO, SHW... into our HDDs. Third, we can share up to 3 tunners using Ceton to any other extenders/HTPCs in our house, hints we don't need other tuners in the extender/HTPC to record and watch live TV. Last, we don't need to pay $15 for DVR per month per location, I am saving $30 right there per month. To sum up, it is easily make up the $200 different between 2 products therefore I did not go to that route and end up using Ceton InfiniTV4 today!

Definitely some big advantages there, undoubtedly. I think for what I'm looking for - the Hauppage Colossus would suffice. There's only a few shows that I will probably need to record here & there; and only need it on one TV. It's just me & my wife and this is more of a startup DVR card - for the most part we don't have a very high-end need for a DVR.

Your setup definitely sounds awesome.

Can't wait to get my Z68/i3-2105 setup all ordered & ready to build.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/20427328

Definitely some big advantages there, undoubtedly. I think for what I'm looking for - the Hauppage Colossus would suffice. There's only a few shows that I will probably need to record here & there; and only need it on one TV. It's just me & my wife and this is more of a startup DVR card - for the most part we don't have a very high-end need for a DVR.

Your setup definitely sounds awesome.

Can't wait to get my Z68/i3-2105 setup all ordered & ready to build.

There was a rumor that they will have some models soon such as external box set up like Colossus, USB and few and more tuners PCI version soon. If you are not in any hurry, I would suggest you to hold on for the least expensive USB version.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/20427363

There was a rumor that they will have some models soon such as external box set up like Colossus, USB and few and more tuners PCI version soon. If you are not in any hurry, I would suggest you to hold on for the least expensive USB version.

I can hold off a little on the DVR - I'll keep an eye on Ceton! Thanks!!

1221 - 1240 of 2223 Posts