Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have just taken 55 screenshots of my PLV-Z1. Some of them look pretty damn good. They are all off angle I'm afraid, not level, but should give some of an idea as to what the machine is capable. I also took shots of the menus to show all of the options for tweaking the picture. They have not been altered, just copied to my site. They are all 1024x768.

The projector was 104" from an off white/greenish wall. The image thrown was 77" diagonal.

Since I can't seem to figure out how to post an image, heres a link to my gallery:

http://homepage.mac.com/herb/PhotoAlbum6.html

Thanks,

Herb

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got the Z1 yesterday but still like to see great screen shots.

thank you

I noticed a bit of green too and reduced the green color of three points.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice pic gallery Herb. Thanks for sharing your screen shots and enjoy your new toy! :cool:

Regards,

Anthony

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very nice pics Herb. I liked your selection of DVD's !! I can't wait to get my Z1 this next Tuesday. I am going to be in movie heaven !! Enjoy your new projector and keep sharing info on what you think about the Z1.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking a look at my shots everyone. Anything else you'd like to see? I'm taking requests:)

I forgot to mention that the camera was about the same distance from the wall as the projector - 104".

I'm really looking forward to watching the Bucs beat the Saints on the big screen Sunday night.

Herb

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Herb, wish I was there to see that game on your screen, I bet Sapp is HUGE on FP! Can't wait to watch ESPN in HDTV next year. Anyway have a beer for all us BUCS fans!!

Anthony :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very cool Herb! I wondered if it was possible to watch anything other than cartoons on a PJ. I should have my Z1 next week, now I already know what some of favorite movies look like on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is something I do not understand in the way the PJ displays dvd image.

first of all the Z1 has thee screen modes:

normal, full and zoom. The last two modes digitally modify the image and corrupt its quality.

Watching a couple of my dvds (they both are wide screen version) collateral damage and John of arc I notice that the DVD is not using the full screen but somehow is displayed using the 4/3 mode in the NORMAL screen mode.

I repeat the dvds are windscreen but the PJ uses only the 4/3 portion of the screen.

consequently to fully use the screen i have to select the ZOOM screen mode.

what is going on here? is there a way to fix the problem.

I am using dvd player with rgb.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crapulent,

lol

I thought that the PJ would power off if I fed it any other live action other than Gladiator.

Thanks,

Herb

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
If you're an OWNER of the new Sanyo PLV-Z1 , this is the place to post your reviews, comments and information about the projector based on your ownership experience.

OWNERS: We'd appreciate it if you'd also check out the PLV-Z1 info thread to help provide information to those who are interested in this projector.

If you're not an owner of this projector, and your question doesn't specifically relate to something posted here by an owner, please post in the PLV-Z1 information thread.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Herb

Thanks for the pics. How's the fan issue I've been hearing about? (no pun intended)

Are you running in Cinema Black/Eco/whatever they call it mode? If so, people are saying it is near silent most of the time. But sometime times the fan kicks into high for a few minutes and is quite annoying?

Any heat issues?

My basement ceiling is only 6'-9" so the unit will not be far away from the seating position...

tia

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's some of my thoughts from another post, i'm movinfg it over here to help consolidate. I am loving my Z1. But the noise can be annoying..

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok I have had a bit of time to watch the Z1. Overall I like it a lot, and i dont regret giving up my 1800 Ansi, XGA, Sony. The blacks on this baby are nice, though not DLP levels, they are impressive and with tweaking they can only get better.

Lets Talk about the good first.

Size: The unit it small, sexy, and all that good stuff. Feels well built, and the lens on this puppy is crystal clear and feels well constructed.

Tweakbility: The Unit provides an awesome level of tweekability. You can adjust Red, Green, Blue all independently which is huge. The usual color, contrast, brightness, tint. You can also tweek Gama which is another big plus. Color Temp is also there. Both Autogreyscale and Fleshtone are defeatable as well. These are huge options, which will allow you to get a picture that pretty much fits your tastes.

Screendoor: I sit 13 Feet from the screen and its not apparent to me. The image size is 106 diagonal. I don;t see a visiable difference between this and my other XGA machine. I;m feeding it with a Prog Scan Toshiba 3800.

Noise: On the Theater Black mode, its near silent. The projector is 4 feet above the viewing possition. But sometimes... (see Below)

Sharpness: The whole image comes in together, and the unit has a very sharp focus, and if the screendoor does bother you, you can do a slight defocus.

Brightness: Dont let the 700 ANSI, throw you off. There is plenty of light coming off my 106 inch screen I am using a Matte White, 1.0 Gain screen and its great. During the day I do not have complete light control, just blinds and the back of the screen, so light leaks, but I found that the picture held up well with no direct light hitting the screen.

Remote: Nothing special. Its backlight. it works. I;m programming all its functions to my AV-3000. But should you want to use it, its functional.

Throw: THIS BABY SHOOTS SHORT! I know all of you know this, and its been widely known. But for us who had projectors that were mid range throws (I thought mine was short!), you will have to move either the projector or screen to meet your previous throw size. I had to move my screen a full 2.5 feet forward to get the screen size down to 106

The Bad.

The lens shift function while it works well, feels "loose" The shift is stepless but not uniform. Meaning a 1/4 turns doesnt always move the same amount. And the amount of displacement is dependent upon the amount of shift you use on each axis. If the lens is shifted full max vertical you may not be able to get all of the movement to the right as there are physical limits. The good part is that the lens shift doesnt need keystone correction as well. But how often will you be moving the lens around anyway. But if you ARE going be moving it around a lot, its something I would keep a close eye on.

Noise: I am runnign the projector on theater black mode and most of the time its silent. BUT above once every 20 mins or so. The fan kicks in big time at full fev, and runs for about 2 minutes, then cuts off. Doesnt sound like a big deal? Well it its, because the shift is jarring if you are watching a movie, and audible. Ventilation in my setup isnt an issue, the unit has about a foot of space on all sides. SO I know that can't be it. Any other Z1 owners out there please let me know if you experience this as well.

Overall:

I like the unit a lot and I don't regret getting rid of my other unit. The unit is well made, the lens cover is a great addition, both asthetically and functionally as it keeps dust out when not in use. My Digicam is still out on loan, so no pics yet. Hopefully i will get it back tonight. I am very satisfied with my purchase, and dont regret my switch. IF this is your first projector, then go for it, stop waiting do it. IF you have a farily recent projector, then I would say go look at this first and see if its a huge step up. Also, think about your light control ability and try to see the projector with some ambiet light and see if that is acceptable for your taste. If any Z1 owners have comments please let me know if my unit is the anomaly (lens shift issue, fan issue) Any other questions just shoot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I had to put numbers to my thoughts:

Sharpness: 8.5

Now am I getting this sharpness? Not yet. Prog Scan out of my Toshiba looks GREAT. But I know there is more there, It might be time to play with the idea of an HTPC.

Black Level:9

Blows my old LCD Sony out the water. I would give it a 9 (for LCD Projectors) With tweaking and the right set-up its going be awesome. But they're good enough for me that I'm going to keep my Matte White, and not switch to a grayhawk. Anybody know how to set Gamma correctly?

Picture Quality: 8.5

The picture is solid. Colors are dead on, shadow detail is great, no prevalent scaling artifacts. Smooth stable picture. The level of control is awesome at this price point. Want more red, no problem, less blue. Your DVD player feeds a little too much green? All fixable without normally going through the hurdle of tint, saturation shifts to get the effect.

Screendoor: 8

From my distance I don't see it for the most part. What i Do see, that in never noticed before with my XGA PJ, is some amount of "grain". Film grain on my older unit never seemed this noticeable. But this is looking for it, and not distracting. But I wonder is it an effect of scaling/ lower resolution.

Noise: 6

That fan spin-up is really really annoying. Not annoying enough to make me return it. But annoying, mainly because the unit is sooo quiet otherwise. I used to have my other projector shooting directly over my shoulder in the seated position, it was front exhaust you could feel the heat! And hear the fan, but that fan was quieter than this puppy four feet above me seated, when it spins up. My only thought is that running it on theater black mode, lets the heat build-up, then the fan kicks out to cool it off, then back to letting it heat up. I wish there was another option. Cause this is distracting. YOu mat want to hear this in action as this could be a deal breaker for some.

Overall 10:

Why 10 when everything else is 8 & 9's? It costs $1550 delivered overnight!!!! Native 16:9! You cant have it all for $1. This projector is an awesome value, and keeping that in mind, a fantastic performer. If you can jump to the $3500 mark, then by all means do, this projector will be outperformed by SOME units at that price point. But if you have less than $2K US, you've found your honey.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim J,

Almost all of the pictures were taken in Econo mode in Video 1(?), whatever the next setting is after Cinema.

Econo only seems to be 10%-15% dimmer than Normal, to my eyes. It's a great trade off since in Normal mode is more than twice as loud than Econo. Maybe three times.

If the PJ is going to be less than 7' from you seating, you will definately hear it, and probably be bothered by it in Normal. In Econo it should not be too intrusive.

Maybe I can record the fan noise in both modes and put up some mp3s. I'll give it a shot today.

Herb

·
Registered
46 Posts
Technically I am a Z1 owner, but mine is on a UPS truck at the moment. It gives me something to look forward to for this next week. I downloaded the manual to the Z1, and it mentions color temp settings of : very low, low, medium, high, etc. There was no explanation in the manual of the actual color temp. Does anyone know what the actual measurements for the color temp settings, and which is closest to 6500K??

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.