AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Trying to view 4k on a SE55UY04

I know this is somewhat of a dormant thread but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a Seiki 55” Class 4K 120Hz LED Ultra HDTV – SE55UY04 and want to know what/how I can easily view 4k content on it? What can provide 4k content and work with the TV, examples being Fire TV, Roku 4k, etc. I'm not sure these will work with the SE55UY04 not having HDCP 2.2.

I currently have the TV hooked up to Fios and my ol' PS3, along with Fire TV stick (or Chromecast)

Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm considering grabbing one of these to use as a monitor. One of the 39" ones.

The last thing I tried with display tech was taking a Wacom Intuos4 and strapping an LCD panel on top of it. If you Google "Wolvenmoon Bongofish let's rock" without quotes you can find my build log.

I learned a few tricks. I think there's a way to get this screen working at 60 or even 120 hz native 4k - it might be a bit expensive to do the mod, I guesstimate up to $120.

So. An LCD panel is really a beautifully simple thing when you break it down into parts. You have the panel itself, the power source/driver for the backlight, then the controller/scaler. The last latter part is responsible for handling all inputs to the screen and all outputs to the panel. They use standards just like PC motherboards. This means they're interchangeable - easily. It's almost obscenely easy to swap them out!

The google-fu you need is "4k LCD controller" sans quotes.

Granted life's never that easy. This might require a bit more than plug and play. But it might not.

Does anyone have high resolution pictures of the Seiki 39 or 50 inch LCD panels' controller boards?
I wish I had seen this post a little sooner but I was so busy over the Holiday Season (as most are) I haven't checked the thread in a while!!!

Are you still active on here? I would be more than happy to help you as much as I can! Let's do this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seiki sent me a firmware update which resolved the issue of the headphone jack when in use not muting the tv. The solution was firmware baseline 303, created on January 9, 2015. After install the tv now mutes when headphones are inserted or external speakers are inserted into the headphone jack.

Thank you Seiki. I don't know how to post a file or i would post it (the firmware from 1/9/2015).

As far as the remote control problem, that still persists (see above).
Ah darn, the one guy that managed to get a newer 2015 firmware from Seiki didn't know how to share it for anyone... Well, I'll email him, see if he's around to try to get it... I also sent an email to Seiki asking for the latest firmware, so we'll see if I can get anything from them doubtful as that is.

P.S.

My fix on the blanking problem: I did cause this when I learned how to overclock my video card with the Custom Resolution Utility to output 1080p at a glorious 120 Hz instead of 60 Hz... This TV/monitor is beautiful once you can get it to 120 Hz, that's for sure!!!

So, here's what I did wrong: In trying to create a custom resolution/refresh profile for my Radeon 5450 video card using ToastyX's CRU 1.2.6, I selected the first option under Timing which was "LCD standard." However, this was not ideal with the Seiki 39" and would occasionally cause blanking regardless of the firmware I later realized...

The fix: I edited the profile and tried the 2nd option "LCD Native" which defaults to a perfect/even 120.000 Hz (instead of 120.003 Hz) for the vertical refresh rate, and 135.000 kHz, etc. In the end, the profile should be listed as "1920x1080 @ 120.000 Hz (297.00 Mhz)" - you want even values, no fractions, e.g. 120.003, etc.!

So, if you're having this problem and you created your own profile to force the option of 1080p @ 120 Hz, you might try checking that profile again.

I would've post screenshots, but this is my 1st forum post so I can't. But yeah, that's how I fixed my blanking problem, the settings for the custom creation of a new resolution were not quite right... Don't blame the TV just yet or the HDMI wire, although you'd want a quality, heavy gauged cable and not the el cheapos to rule the connection out. I changed firmware multiple times before having another look and realizing it was something as simple as this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
SE39UY04 39" 2015 Firmware exists!

Hi, got an update to report on the 39" model. This post is mostly duplicated with the one I made in 39" thread. I know this thread concerns the 50" model mainly, but since advice came from here to use its firmware on the 39" model, you might have some people that still check this thread for info on it, etc.

OK, so I decided to exchange my Seiki 39" SE39UY04 back at my local Microcenter for the last one they had in stock. The firmware was originally dated July 2014 before I messed around with it. I was ready to keep it, but my eye caught an area at the bottom left where a speck of debris got sandwiched in between the panel outer plastic. Once you spot something like that, it becomes hard to ignore if you're OCD picky and want the best for your money. But this was a refurbished model and it was a roll of the dice to begin with, some are worse, some are much better, some are almost new where you can't tell the difference.

To the point, the new Seiki SE39UY04 I picked up today shows me that Seiki updated the firmware and I can now confirm that daveo DID in fact receive a 2015 firmware per his claim!

Here's photo confirmation via the Service Menu:

I PM'ed daveo to try to get the firmware, and also opened up tech support exchange with Seiki to get it from them, but they stalled me yet again, now asking for the screenshot above when I already gave them the model and both serial numbers since refurbished models get a 2nd one... I will email them back and ask for anything newer, or at least this 2015 one shown here so I can share it with anybody else that wants to upgrade.

The thing is, this is now officially a discontinued model and they're not gonna be keen on still supporting it, so I wanna try to get the final firmware in an image file from them before it's too late and host it for others as they have removed any and all links to existing firmware on their website... Past this year, they're really not gonna care about these [email protected] models anymore I suspect...

Anyway, yeah, I will post the final firmware for this model if the agents I'm emailing with give it to me or daveo gets my PM... We'll see... :/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Download the final Jan 09, 2015 firmware for Seiki's SE39UY04 here!

Alright, to those that still own the 39" model, I scored what I believe is the final firmware for it! :)

FileName: "ATSC_THTF_SY15053_ST2975C_CMI_V390DK1_LS1_20150109.zip"
Firmware Date: January 09, 2015

I posted all the info and download in the 39" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/145-h...ki-39-4k-display-se39uy04-3.html#post40868538

It's preferable for any hackers/modders to be working on the final version should they be able to come up with something interesting in the future, so I'd rather have this one floating around and tested. Please report any improvements/bug fixes or if it has the opposite effect.

There definitely is one aspect they took away, the old 2013 firmware that said backlight, allowed you to control the backlight from the regular menu and RGB values instead of going in the service menu with the code. But, no big deal since anybody that knows how to upgrade the firmware already knows how to access the service menu.

Anyway, hope it helps someone out, take care!

Oh, and please mirror my download links to preserve the downloads for a few years. My mediafire account's been around for 7 years, so I don't expect a problem with that, but it's always good to have backup/mirror links, etc.

I likely won't return to the forum, as I just wanted to get the latest firmware and learn how to activate true 120 Hz mode for my PC, but I did my part as a cautiously proud new owner of this fine (when tweaked) TV. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
FileName: "ATSC_THTF_SY15053_ST2975C_CMI_V390DK1_LS1_20150109.zip"
Firmware Date: January 09, 2015
Did anybody else lose their HDMI audio with this firmware? I tried two sources, my PC and my boxee box. I had to flash back to the firmware with backlight support in the user menus to get the sound back.

I'm thinking when they built it, they seemed to have changed a line in the project file from:
#define Board_AMP_default
to
#define Board_AMP_NULL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seiki SE39UY04 won't power up - transient red blink

Cheers friends!

I purchased a used Seiki SE39UY04 that 'worked' for about a week. One day I powered it up and noted that the LED bar below the Seiki logo only gave an occasional red blip about every 1.5 seconds. This is the LED that is red when the unit is off and then turns blue when the TV is 'on' or powering up. There is also a subtle click on the TV speakers in sync with the blip.

I've tried various combos of power button press while power on thinking there may be a factory restore or reboot sequence but to no avail . . . but I really don't know the sequence or if there even is one.

These things are usually power supply. I opened the back of the TV face down and observed the various circuit boards. I moved a few cables about then I powered it up. To my surprise, it powered up! So what else could I do but reassemble. After reassembly, the TV does the same red blip and does not power up.

BTW, the PS showed no obvious component failure, bulging caps or transformers or other component issues.

Still thinking it's the PS, I ordered one on ebay. I easily swapped the PS board, its AC input and the 3 connectors. I then powered it up and it came on, once again, display side down on the carpet. Thinking the problem solved, I reassembled.

However, once in the normal viewing orientation, it went into the same failure mode.

So I'm assuming I do not have two bad power supplies. I also note that simply placing the TV in the face down position does not make it work. It seems to like the back panel off but that may just be a fluke as I have only twice disassembled.

For all the trouble I would have been better off just buying another, new unit or a different TV. Did not have my heart set on Seiki, just wanted a TV, 39 or 40" or so that was 4K, HDMI in and had an audio (aux) port. I will be using for simple HDMI input. I also using the Chromecast device, which, btw, plugging it in or out does not change the malfunction.

Ha! It won't let me post a link to my YouTube of the problem. So you will have to search for it. Go to YouTube and search for this string:

Seiki SE39UY04 - blinking red light - not working

If I wanted that TV again, I can find it for $249 Amazon. Bad luck. I generally don't mind buying used electronics.

1) Any trouble shooting ideas that aren't too much work? I hate to go on replacing boards and spending more money. I paid $200 for the TV (before I found it for $249). Is there a reset sequence that might help? I have read on this forum that folks are upgrading firmware. Would that help, assuming it is possible in its current state. Any other recommendations.

2) If I choose to start over with a new 4K 39" TV, what recommendations do you have?

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SE50UY04 FIRMWARE QUESTION
I have what appears to be an early model of this TV based on the serial number. After reading all 449 post I'm still a little Leary of trying a firmware upgrade even though I have many of the same problems as others. The only way that worked for in contacting Seiki was through their facebook and using messenger. After providing them with the version Info, release version and the serial number, they sent me what appears to be the original firmware as the image file is dated the same as the "Produce date of 3/3/2013". They said it was the only firmware available for my unit.
The zip file they sent is: SEIKI_2975_SY13036-1_20130303_094520_496698_install.zip.

I'm wondering if the SE50uy04_20130528.zip file(Seiki Austrilia) which contains the disc image file "install.img" dated 5/28/2013 would work and help solve some the problems.

Here my information:
VERSION INFO
Baseline Ver: 496698
Customer Ver: 1.0
Order form: SY13036
Board ver: ST2975K_R10.3
Panel: Info: CMI_V500DK1_LS1
Customer:SEIKI
Produce Date: Mar 03 2013
Produce Time: 09:45:20am

RELEASE VERSION
Boot Ver: 0001.0716.1017
Linux Ver: 000
Video Ver; 496203
Audio Ver: 494203
AP Ver: 496698

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
SE50UY04 FIRMWARE QUESTION
I have what appears to be an early model of this TV based on the serial number. After reading all 449 post I'm still a little Leary of trying a firmware upgrade even though I have many of the same problems as others. The only way that worked for in contacting Seiki was through their facebook and using messenger. After providing them with the version Info, release version and the serial number, they sent me what appears to be the original firmware as the image file is dated the same as the "Produce date of 3/3/2013". They said it was the only firmware available for my unit.
The zip file they sent is: SEIKI_2975_SY13036-1_20130303_094520_496698_install.zip.

I'm wondering if the SE50uy04_20130528.zip file(Seiki Austrilia) which contains the disc image file "install.img" dated 5/28/2013 would work and help solve some the problems.

Here my information:
VERSION INFO
Baseline Ver: 496698
Customer Ver: 1.0
Order form: SY13036
Board ver: ST2975K_R10.3
Panel: Info: CMI_V500DK1_LS1
Customer:SEIKI
Produce Date: Mar 03 2013
Produce Time: 09:45:20am

RELEASE VERSION
Boot Ver: 0001.0716.1017
Linux Ver: 000
Video Ver; 496203
Audio Ver: 494203
AP Ver: 496698

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
@panyeye I know this is an old post, but seeing as I still visit this thread after 2 years with my Seiki, I figured it may help someone else too. Flashing on this model is very easy and I've even managed to even repair a softbrick after flashing a bad rom.

I personally have not experienced blanking or frame drops like others have reported, but I have had a few of the other annoying issues. The most annoying being the backlight setting reverting on every boot :mad:. I've successfully installed @NightWolve's most recent firmware and it's working swimmingly for me.

TL;DR, It's an easy an relatively harmless process. I'd try the firmware linked above by @NightWolve. Just make sure to follow the instructions and wait patiently for the flash to complete.

And shout out to @NightWolve for hounding Seiki for the "final" version of the firmware for this unit! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
@panyeye I know this is an old post, but seeing as I still visit this thread after 2 years with my Seiki, I figured it may help someone else too. Flashing on this model is very easy and I've even managed to even repair a softbrick after flashing a bad rom.

I personally have not experienced blanking or frame drops like others have reported, but I have had a few of the other annoying issues. The most annoying being the backlight setting reverting on every boot :mad:. I've successfully installed @NightWolve's most recent firmware and it's working swimmingly for me.

TL;DR, It's an easy an relatively harmless process. I'd try the firmware linked above by @NightWolve. Just make sure to follow the instructions and wait patiently for the flash to complete.

And shout out to @NightWolve for hounding Seiki for the "final" version of the firmware for this unit! :D
Redforest, Thanks for the input. Do you have the exact model that I have; produce date etc? and what do you mean "TL;DR"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some help troubleshooting my SE50UY04. When I turn it on the logo comes up and the LED turns green, but then it is blank. You can hear sound, but no picture. Any ideas on how to fix? I was thinking it may need the tcon board replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

:eek: I have a 50 in seiki that will not start. I press the power button and it opens with the seiki logo and then freezes on the logo! I cant even turn it off normally after this I have to unplug it from the wall. I was thinking it could be the eepom memory since I have seen the same thing happen to vizio tvs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever get that amazing modded firmware to not bootloop? I think he said he only had to change 1 encoding from mpeg1 to mpeg2 and it would work. Has anyone accomplished this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a copy of the official Seiki Firmware for the SE50UY04 that has Backlight setting in the main menu?(not service menu)

Thank you,
Monnie

·
Registered
650 Posts
Anyone still owning this set might want to try the LG 4K Blu-ray player in Best Buy's Black Friday ad. I've tested it to work on the 39" and 55" ones regardless of the HDCP 2.2 which I am fairly certain neither set supports.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody.
I think I bricked my SE50UY04.

Before I read that the "flickering problem" was caused by the supplied blue cable, I tried to solve the problem by trying different firmwares.

I inadvertently upgraded to a SE39 firmware, and now the TV turns on but the screen remains black. Since the TV responded to the ON/OFF command of the remote, I desperately tried to blindly redo the sequence to do another firmware update, back to one that worked.
I tried MENU-0-0-0-0-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-OK-RIGHT-OK., and MENU-0-0-0-0-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-RIGHT-RIGHT-OK. Nothing works.
I think I passed the initial dialog box questions that appear after an upgrade, but I am not even sure if the menu appears.
Can somebody help/advise? Or should I kiss it goodbye?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, my SE50UY04 seems to have bricked itself tonight. :( I've been using it daily for 7 1/2 years, upgraded the firmware maybe 5 years ago.

Powers on, red light turns to blue, Seiki logo appears and vanishes (so nothing wrong with backlight), then the screen is blank. No menu, no source selector.

The infrared remote turns the TV on and off, but it seems that's the only thing the remote can do now.

Left unplugged for a while as manual indicates - same problem remain when plugged back in. Tried this a couple of times.

But this is a different problem from the occasional blank-screen unplug & plug-back-in problem. If I recall right, when that has occurred in the past the unit would not even turn on until I unplugged and re-plugged.

If anyone has any idea about a fix, I'd love to hear it. I might try re-flashing but with no menu I don't expect much. Anyone ever have luck with reviving a bricked Seiki?

I guess I'm also looking for recommendations for another ~50 inch 4K display for an economical home theater PC + monitor.

441 - 460 of 461 Posts