AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1898 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I noticed my X Box One S was not outputting HDR content. This was confirmed in my Xbox settings - see first photo. I was able to find an HDMI setting in the Sharp TV menu and changing this to "enhanced" enabled the HDR and other outputs on the Xbox - see photos 2,3,4. Very impressed with this TV!

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I noticed my X Box One S was not outputting HDR content. This was confirmed in my Xbox settings - see first photo. I was able to find an HDMI setting in the Sharp TV menu and changing this to "enhanced" enabled the HDR and other outputs on the Xbox - see photos 2,3,4. Very impressed with this TV!
So sorry, I should have mentioned that! I knew about that setting from my Hisense H9 days. That allows for two different permutations of the HDMI handshake to accommodate different devices.

I also have XB1S and forget to mention making that change. When set to Enhanced, all the XB1S 4k tests get the big green check!:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
So sorry, I should have mentioned that! I knew about that setting from my Hisense H9 days. That allows for two different permutations of the HDMI handshake to accommodate different devices.

I also have XB1S and forget to mention making that change. When set to Enhanced, all the XB1S 4k tests get the big green check!:D
It also enabled 10bit output which greatly improved colors. I think this TV will take the place of the Samsung 65ks8000 in the TV room! The Samsung will be relegated to the upstairs now.... The issue I had in the previous photo (magenta/red shift) has also been greatly reduced.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It also enabled 10bit output which greatly improved colors. I think this TV will take the place of the Samsung 65ks8000 in the TV room! The Samsung will be relegated to the upstairs now....
I know, right?

I cannot believe this is the TV I got for $1150 delivered. The blacks and the contrast are staggering, especially when watching a high bandwidth demo file through the USB port.

Awesome!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know, right?

I cannot believe this is the TV I got for $1150 delivered. The blacks and the contrast are staggering, especially when watching a high bandwidth demo file through the USB port.

Awesome!

I agree. I would encourage anyone looking at the Samsung 8000, 8500, 9000, 9500 series to take a look at this set as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
...and a lot of this potential was only unlocked with these latest firmware updates from about 6 weeks ago.

I know in the Hisense H9b thread many dudes (great guys over there) had that TV for months and months waiting for the firmware to unlock its potential. The H9's potential was delivered on with new firmware updates, no surprise, the same time as these N9000's (aka H10b's) firmware... just this past December.

Hisense/Sharp is definitely in stride and this Sharp is a sleeper for sure. The menu in the Sharp and the Hisense H9 is identical.

Anyone know how to replay that demo video that loaded after you completed start-up configuration?

-Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats!

Each input has its own settings which is great given the variability of different sources. I just took these settings while watching the Chess video via USB. This is totally by eye ;-)

I use Standard picture mode with:
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 40

Backlight: 45-60
Local dimming: On

Sharpness: 5
Ultra Smooth Motion: Clear
Noise Reduction:Medium
Adaptive Contrast: Medium
Color Temp: Standard

The standard settings are pretty damn good but there's a little motion artifacting happening when the Ultra Smooth Motion is at Standard versus Clear (it's basically MEMC off, low, med, high). However with HD cable I will turn brightness down a bit.

Awesome TV!

-Chris
Thanks for the settings! Looks great with my DirectTV connection. For blu-ray I've been keeping it in the default theater mode with the backlight cranked up to 60. Tried a few settings for the lower 7000U model from some sites but it didn't look quite right. Anyway, great TV! Can't wait to keep dialing it in and seeing what others do as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, it appears I do have the panel with the color shift caused by Sharp/Hisense changing panels. One easy way to see if you have the affected panel is to view the LG Chess Demo from above and look at the chandeliers. If you have the green shift, you have an affected panel. From post 6701:

The customer service from Hisense France confirmed to me that the problem was known and they are putting together a dossier that will be subsequently transmitted to the engineering department. A priori, this dysfunction may come as firmware that the hardware (defective motherboard or other ...), but they do not know more yet.

I have cleared all settings (hidden menu), then restored the factory settings, the magenta color drift is still there, and i noticed also green drift on yellow colors.

Here are two additional photos which show the candle flames which drift over the green (always with the HDR picture mode with factory settings on my TV)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hisense-65xt910-owners-thread.1992681/page-224

Does anyone else see this green shift on the candle flame with their sets?

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Well, it appears I do have the panel with the color shift caused by Sharp/Hisense changing panels...

Does anyone else see this green shift on the candle flame with their sets?
I totally see it!

Wow, great eyes. I watched that Chess clip five or six times and never saw that green shift... not even close.

Here are my pics. In the same scene some of the chandelier lights have it (the far left and right one) but the others do not. I also included a full screen shot from about 4 feet away (I sit about 12 feet away) -- as you can see when shown at full size, it is barely perceptible. However, you can see in the other shots, taken from about 3 inches away, that the green shift is there.

These were taken with an iPhone 6.

I still don't see it on several other videos that I've downloaded from Demo Ultra-HD (awesome site!). I have a USB 3.0 64gb stick in the TV right now streaming one downloaded video after another.

What is Sharp/Hisense's position on it... just that some sources will present the issue and others won't? I'm ok because if you hadn't pointed me to it, I never in a million years would've seen it :)

-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
According to the other forum, the European Hisense division did acknowledge this as a problem but nothing has been posted on the issue since. I am going to contact Sharp/Hisense support to see if they are aware of the issue and have any plans to correct it. Still a great TV and the problem only appears on certain types of content.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
According to the other forum, the European Hisense division did acknowledge this as a problem but nothing has been posted on the issue since. I am going to contact Sharp/Hisense support to see if they are aware of the issue and have any plans to correct it. Still a great TV and the problem only appears on certain types of content.
Of the 10 or 12 files I have downloaded from Demo Ultra-HD, only two have been MP4: Chess and another Samsung SUHD file about Nano Crystals. The other file hasn't had any green shift that I have been able to see.

Interesting...

·
Registered
223 Posts

Are the two middle pictures shown (2,3) Is that a bad blooming effect or is it from your camera? How bad is it in real life? Hope it is not as bad as the picture shows it though. I get my TV today and hopefully I have time to watch some HDR blu-rays as well as the demo material that's provided in here.

If this TV is as good as what Chris says, it must be great! So twin_prime, since you had the chance to do a side by side comparison with the 65KS8000, what's your overall opinion? Is it way better, a little better, about the same? How is brightness compare to it do you think it matches up especially HDR material?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are the two middle pictures shown (2,3) Is that a bad blooming effect or is it from your camera? How bad is it in real life? Hope it is not as bad as the picture shows it though. I get my TV today and hopefully I have time to watch some HDR blu-rays as well as the demo material that's provided in here.

If this TV is as good as what Chris says, it must be great! So twin_prime, since you had the chance to do a side by side comparison with the 65KS8000, what's your overall opinion? Is it way better, a little better, about the same? How is brightness compare to it do you think it matches up especially HDR material?
HDR mode is better on the Sharp due to the increased contrast/black levels from the FALD technology. Keep in mind our TV room is pretty dark - I am not sure how the HDR comparison would change in a brighter room. The blooming on the Samsung is so bad that I have the local dimming turned off on it. I do not notice any blooming on the Sharp, with local dimming turned on, when watching content. You will notice limited blooming when white litters appear on a completely black screen, but it does not cover a third of the screen as it does on the Samsung. Both are great TVs. I bought the Sharp as a 2nd TV for the upstairs but after seeing it, it will be our main TV while the Samsung will be moved upstairs. My only reservation on the Sharp is the magenta shift which is only a problem on certain content. I did contact Hisense and they indicated they would get back to me. Also, my Sharp has no dead/stuck pixels. My first Samsung had 4 bright stuck pixels in the middle of the screen so i exchanged it. The 2nd one had 2 dead pixels - one on the lower right and one on the upper left corners. These were not noticeable so I did not bother with an exchange. My contact with Hisense below on the magenta shift:

TUE 9:40PM
Hello, I was wondering if there were still plans for a fix on the magenta color issues on the Sharp 65N9000U/65H10B/65XT910 series? Well documented here with an acknowledgement by Hisense Europe. https://www.avforums.com/threads/hisense-65xt910-owners-thread.1992681/page-224
See post 6701 on the above link.

9:24AM

Hi Ryan! Thanks for sharing this information with us! I'm going to forward this to the engineering team and get back to as soon as I can.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
HDR mode is better on the Sharp due to the increased contrast/black levels from the FALD technology. Keep in mind our TV room is pretty dark - I am not sure how the HDR comparison would change in a brighter room...
Ours is in the livingroom of a 1860's Boston Victorian house. We have a giant bay window left of the TV (the front of our house) and then a big window right behind the couch, directly facing the TV.

The room is bright even at night (street lights :mad:) and I have to close the blind and draw the curtains if I want it actually dark... and then I still have light bleed from the adjacent rooms.

The Sharp has great brightness for a bright room. I haven't had the backlight above 60 and brightness is usually around 40 and contrast and color at 50 (color sometimes on 40 depending on source).

I echo the no dead pixels on my set... I am on a binge downloading 10bit HDR demos from Demo Ultra-HD with as high a bitrate as I can get. The better the source on this TV, the better it shows its stuff :)

-Chris

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just an FYI - Hisense has been in contact with me and I have sent them additional photos on the magenta skin tone shifts. A friend of mine does not have this affect on his 65H10B that he got earlier in the year. This definitely seems related to a change in panel.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Just an FYI - Hisense has been in contact with me and I have sent them additional photos on the magenta skin tone shifts. A friend of mine does not have this affect on his 65H10B that he got earlier in the year. This definitely seems related to a change in panel.
Is the magenta shift definitely tied to the green shift? That is, if you have one then you have both; and therefore you have the "change in panel"? I have yet to see the magenta, but as I posted, I do have the green shift.

What does that mean by the way, a "change in panel"? Did the H10B and the N9000U used to share the same panel, but at some point they changed it in the N9000U? That probably stands to reason as the H10B supports 3D and the N9000U does not, though if you google it you will find references to suggest that at one point it did.

I think I will contact Sharp too to let them know that it's not an isolated incident.

-C

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did everyone else TV auto update out of the box? Im not getting any hits (saying no updates available). Im setup on my network (smart apps are working fine) so I dont think thats any issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This issue has been noted on the european model of this TV - it is not only the Sharp re-badge that is affected by it. Here is the latest from Sharp/hisense - I really appreciate there quick response on this. I just hope there is a fix:

Hisense:
What input and sources did you use when you spotted the HDR issues?
Does it only happen to HDR contents?

ME:
No. It also happens on standard blu-ray as well - see photo. This is from The Force Awakens and is very prominent in this movie.
I do not have this effect on our other TVs. It is also not on my friends 65H10B model. We tried the same Blu ray using an Xbox One S. These affects are only on my Sharp version. From reading the forums I linked to above, it seems Hisense Europe acknowledge it was due to an incorrect or different panel being used in some sets.
I have HDMI set to enhanced on the TV and everything is coming through an X Box One S via the HDMI 4 port. I also tried this on HDMI 3 and had the same result.

Hisense:
It does seem very obvious. Thank you for the information!

ME:
Is this something there will be a fix for? Thanks again for the response

Hisense:
I will get back to you as soon as I hear from our engineers. 🙂

ME:
Ok thanks again! I appreciate the help.

41 - 60 of 1898 Posts