AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 5847 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks rdclark, thats kind of what i was afraid of. i can watch my networks over the air in hd i guess, and channels like tnt, cartoon network etc hopefully wont be too bad.

can someone with satelite confirm that cartoon network, tnt, scifi etc look ok and not like youtube?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone compared the 82 model to the 64 model and determined any noticeable differences between the two? I recently decided against the 82 because of the price difference, but now Frys has a great deal on both sets which diminished the difference a little.

To date, I have read next to nothing about motion blur or anything else that is supposedly more inherent to the 60hz technology. One thing about the Sharp that makes me feel a little more secure is that people seem to be getting great PQ with fast motion, while companies like Samsung seem to struggle with TBE and other issues with their new 120hz / AMP technology.

My observations indicated the 82 to be a little brighter, but nothing else seems to stand out.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffcutts /forum/post/12153105

Has anyone compared the 82 model to the 64 model and determined any noticeable differences between the two? I recently decided against the 82 because of the price difference, but now Frys has a great deal on both sets which diminished the difference a little.

My observations indicated the 82 to be a little brighter, but nothing else seems to stand out.

Id go with whatever is cheaper and has less banding..they are pretty similar that there shouldnt be a big diff in picture quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone experienced a flickering backlight right after turning the tv on?

After I power it on with a remote, I get what appears to be several horizontal flickering bands for about 5 or six seconds within the first 30 seconds after turning it on.

After that, everything appears to be fine, no flickering at all. It is mainly noticable with bright backgrounds.

Is this just normal warm-up operations of the tv, or is it a potential problem??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2112 /forum/post/12143891

I just received my replacement. So far, it does not appear to have nearly as much banding as my previous set, and I can hardly see any vertical bands.

The only problem is that I have noticed a horizontal band that does appear quite a bit. It basically is 3 inches from the bottom of the screen and goes straight across the set. I am going to tweak the settings a little more over the next couple days and see if I can live with this set.

Keep us posted. If your tweaks work, can you post them, it may help others as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For those of you experiencing various issues with your ATI Radeon card and your Sharp LCD, I'm updating to my previous posts in this thread ( here and here ) which indicated I was having problems with various ATI cards once I swapped out my Home Theater PC with a new Shuttle PC.

I've since fixed the various problems I've been having once and for good simply by switching over from ATI to nVidia.

Here's a recap...

OK, so the Intel HDMI onboard video that came with the Shuttle PC I bought in October was very weak when it came to games. No surprise there. It would choke on HL2 at 1360x768. And it would keep resetting to 1280x768 every time I switched the TV to the PS3 or Tivo and then back.

So I bought an ATi Radeon X1650GT with DVI outputs from NewEgg 3 weeks ago. Not only was it a pain to get 1920x1080 res to work in XP as I had posted 2 weeks ago (I had no probs with the Radeon X800XL in my old HTPC), it would randomly crash XP and cause my PC to reboot at least once per day. Worse yet, I couldn't see my POST screen nor Windows loading. I wouldn't get any picture until the desktop loaded (ditto with my old X800XL).

So last week I bought an ATi Radeon X1650 Pro with built-in HDMI from NewEgg. I could finally see my POST and Windows XP load screens, but once I installed the latest Catalyst driver, the entire screen looked like it had a bright, transparent pink layer over it. Digging with Google, I saw that other people reported the same prob with no solution. Plus I never got 1920x1080 working on it either. And the card's fan was VERY LOUD! SO LOUD that is sounded like a Dewalt power drill.

Fed up, I went to nVidia. NewEgg had a GeForce 8600 GTS card that ranked much higher in performance on the Tom's Hardware VGA list, and it was also on the list of tested/approved video cards at Shuttle's website. So I ordered one yesterday and RMA'd both ATI cards back to NewEgg.

I just installed the nVidia card about 2 hours ago and it was TOTALLY painless. The driver installed fine, detected the card and actually asked me if I wanted to switch over to the native 1920x1080 resolution of my Sharp LCD TV! I clicked YES and voila, no issues whatsoever.

Then I ran 3D Mark 2006 where I got a score of 5280 (versus a score of around 2700 on the ATI 1650 cards)! HL2 now runs fluid 95% of the time at 1920x1080 with all settings on MAX, but I dial it back to 1360x768 so there's only 1M pixels to render/sec instead of 2M. No lag at all.

And even though it has two DVI outputs, I still got the POST and Windows XP load screens before I even loaded the drivers. This card is also so quiet that I can't hear it with the case cover off. In fact, I have to put my ear about a foot away to hear it. Lastly, unlike the Ati cards, it supports DX10 should I ever decided to switch to Vista.
So in conclusion, if you are having ATI probs, then I urge you try an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS. It solved ALL of my HTPC video and gaming problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted this in a thread of my own, but I don't think it's going to get any replies. So I'm trying here in hopes of reaching a solution.

I got into the service mode of my TV and managed to screw a few things up...and I'm really hoping I could find someone willing to give me a hand with getting it back in line with how it was.

I really need the settings from page 2 and 3 of 32 from the service menu. I will greatly appreciate any help.

Just to explain why, I had this issue with my D64u not recognising the same digital channels as my Vizio did. So of course, I decided to get into the menu in hopes of changing the sens. for the tuner....whoops.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymack21 /forum/post/12152689

thanks rdclark, thats kind of what i was afraid of. i can watch my networks over the air in hd i guess, and channels like tnt, cartoon network etc hopefully wont be too bad.

can someone with satelite confirm that cartoon network, tnt, scifi etc look ok and not like youtube?

I have Direct TV and those channels are now in HD. They are terrific... The only SD channel I watch is Fox News and I have no problem with it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm such a noob at this, but I just unpacked my 42" 64U and connected it to my cablevision box with HDMI to Input 4? Or maybe its #3. Its the top most HDMI port on the right side of the set. The picture is absolutely horrible. Mind you, my GF has the exact same set connected to a standard direct tv box with the red, white and yellow cables and her PQ is better.

First off when I go to the input screen and select mine, the image comes up with about 10" cut off on each side. To get the full image I had to choose between "stretch" and "zoom" on the view mode. Both leave a lot to be desired. (If this is the way its supposed to be done, which are people choosing?)

I put on the Pistons v Bulls game and the image was horrible. It was impossible to make out the names or numbers on peoples jerseys. It looks extremely pixalated, but at the same time colors were jetting out.

Also I tried to look for my HD channels but couldnt figure out which ones they were (I also just signed up for cablevisions TV service). But no matter what the signal input always said 1080i from the pop-up box.

The cablevision tech never set up the box, he just left it there and told me to connect it and select "component" from my inputs. I have no idea what he was talking about and I never found component.

Sorry for all the questions but as you can see, Im lost.

As an aside, I'm almost certain my set has some serious backlighting issues. Not sure if its banding, clouding or what (im guessing not banding from all the pics), but I have these large circular bright spots. Almost like if I had a lamp shining against the TV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FYI- I have the phillips 47" cause I didn't want some of the issues talked about here... However anyone interested in getting this set should check out the black friday ad for CC, on sale for 1299.oo will be the 46inch (64 series).

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidus1 /forum/post/12167722

I'm such a noob at this, but I just unpacked my 42" 64U and connected it to my cablevision box with HDMI to Input 4? Or maybe its #3. Its the top most HDMI port on the right side of the set. The picture is absolutely horrible. Mind you, my GF has the exact same set connected to a standard direct tv box with the red, white and yellow cables and her PQ is better.

First off when I go to the input screen and select mine, the image comes up with about 10" cut off on each side. To get the full image I had to choose between "stretch" and "zoom" on the view mode. Both leave a lot to be desired. (If this is the way its supposed to be done, which are people choosing?)

I put on the Pistons v Bulls game and the image was horrible. It was impossible to make out the names or numbers on peoples jerseys. It looks extremely pixalated, but at the same time colors were jetting out.

Also I tried to look for my HD channels but couldnt figure out which ones they were (I also just signed up for cablevisions TV service). But no matter what the signal input always said 1080i from the pop-up box.

The cablevision tech never set up the box, he just left it there and told me to connect it and select "component" from my inputs. I have no idea what he was talking about and I never found component.

As an aside, I'm almost certain my set has some serious backlighting issues. Not sure if its banding, clouding or what (im guessing not banding from all the pics), but I have these large circular bright spots. Almost like if I had a lamp shining against the TV.

Try searching the web for the manual for your box and see what it says for setup (is it HD, if so the dot-by-dot option should appear or standard def box). On my box to get to the cable box settings menu, you have to shut the box off and then press the menu button. Actually, you usually have to press it several times before it goes into the settings menu. You might be able to adjust the settings. As far as 'component input', this shows that the tech does NOT understand what an HDMI hookup is. As for your clouding, try this based on an earlier post, clean the screen with the provided pink cleaning cloth (it may just be static buildup). Download a copy of tvblink ( www.tvblink.com ) to see if you have banding. I have the 42 inch set and have no issues at all.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidus1 /forum/post/12167722

Which cable box do you have? I have cablevision, too - Brooklyn.

The standard HD cable box they are giving out now is the SA 4250HD, although the 4200HD is still around.

You may need to run the HDTV set up wizard. You have to turn off the box, then press the top two buttons on the box to the right of the display. You should have the "dot to dot" option as well. However, I found that leaving the box fixed at 1080i is better than using all the resolutions.

HD Channels on cablevision are 701 thru 786. Maybe you missed these so far. I know, they don't tell you.

If all else fails, keep calling cablevision, you may get a tech that knows something.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess I am very unlucky, this is my second Sharp TV and it exhibits banding even while watching SD TV and is very obvious watching HD DVD's.

Attached are some more pics..

I have a technician coming in on monday to evaluate the set and hopefully I should be able to get a third exchange
.. booo sharp

BTW, I checked the 5271f on display yesterday and was amazed by the picture quality and contrast. Incredible but is it worth the extra $2k ? hmm

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haevolution /forum/post/12184018

Get the 5271f home and I'm sure you will find something wrong with it also. I haven't yet seen a perfect TV - LCD or otherwise.

Agreed but at least It wont be as discernible as huge bands that go across ur screens when there is a camera movement !!.

Trust me, it sucks to see banding on an otherwise excellent TV.

I have a 32S2000 and it has no issues. My friends have Sammy 4661 and 65s and they have no issues with picture quality whatsoever.

Sure, if everyone who bought sharp tv evaluate their sets like we do, 99% of tv's will go back to sharp and with so many of us who were sold LCDs with minimal QC, we can take sharp to court easily and win the battle!

Every Sharp set has banding, some people try to avoid and push it aside weighing in the cost of this tv vs others, which is a stupid argument cos will the same people buy a BMW at 1/2 price when they know that the transmission is shot ? As much as price is an issue, quality matters too.

i am sorry to say, but Sharps suck with their banding issues and until they fix it, there will be many disappointed and disgruntled users like me.

Also makes me wonder if it really was a scam that Sharp wanted to dispose the 64Us at cost price by offering 50% off on their models !!!

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdentist /forum/post/12186567

Also makes me wonder if it really was a scam that Sharp wanted to dispose the 64Us at cost price by offering 50% off on their models !!!

I wouldn't say it was a scam, for the $1k I saved I don't mind having a defect that I notice .01% of the time. If I had to pay full price it would be a no brainer and I would own a Sony or Samsung.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone got an idea why HDMI audio out from a fatality i90-hd mb would give me errors on my tv from some videos? They play fine in windvd or powerdvd if they error out in media player.

Somehow media player is outputing something the sharp aquos doesn't like, but I haven't figured out a way to get it to output the way powerdvd or windvd are so it works...

·
Registered
21 Posts
why hasn't anyone been talking about the max volume level of the TV speakers?

I just picked up the LC-46D64U yesterday and the max volume level is pathetic.!??!

I have a complete denon 5.1/KEF system, but for times when I dont want to turn the system on, this volume level is really low. Anyone know of a fix?

361 - 380 of 5847 Posts