AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3305 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It sure would be great to get any information anyone has that Sharp is getting ready to release an 80" Elite model.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman /forum/post/21042308

It sure would be great to get any information anyone has that Sharp is getting ready to release an 80" Elite model.

I know it will not be this year.......... You would be looking at 9 months minimum, if one will even be released next year.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibleBLiNK /forum/post/21043939

Any chance we can make this an LC-XXLE632U thread?

There are 60 and 70-inch models too.

there's a 70" 632 model??

I think it would be best to keep this specific to the 80" as it really is unique in the market and there will certainly be some issues specific to the 80" relative to 60" considering it's 80% larger

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I went into the store today looking to buy a 65" Pani VT30 plasma, and they had this 80" sharp set up next to it. I just sat there and watched it and kept going through my roladex of reasons why plasmas are better, but the picture on this thing looked great and it just dwarfed the 65"er. I could give a rats a$$ about 3d, so I ordered the Sharp. They only had a floor model, mine will be here in two weeks.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I was at BB today also and took a look at this big boy and the PQ was not bad at all.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
So how are people mounting this TV's? Are there wall mounts that can handle this, or is everyone just sitting it on top of a cabinet?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I am going to use a wall mount. They threw in a Bell'o with my purchase that looks like it will easily handle it if you find the studs.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
weird got a notice about this post but now its gone. The magic of the internet

Stopped in to Fry's today in Anaheim and there it was in the middle of the TV area backed up against the Mit 92" RP TV. I must say from a distance I though it was one of the 70" models. It is just so hard to judge the size of these TVs when their placed right in the middle of a warehouse floor. In a typical home with 8 foot ceilings in a 10 x 15 room I am sure this thing looks just massive.

Spent about 20 mins looking at and here are my thoughts (remember I am in a store just visually observing. Don't crucify me as I am not an expert):

1) Up close you can see all the pixels. This TV is meant for viewing at least 8 to 10 feet at a BARE minimum.

2) I did not notice any motion blur. Although I was not watching any sports just Alice in Wonderland Blu Ray. It was pretty fluid.

3) Overall the picture looked pretty darn good. On par with the sharp 70" models. It is no Elite (X5) by any stretch of the imagination but compared to all other current 70" models I would say it looked about the same. If you are not an absolute Videophile and don't care about 3D I would say this TV would be just fine for the normal everyday consumer looking for a BIG TV.

4) I think the one piece of news that a lot of people would like an answer too is how do the corners look. Are they as dark as the 70" models. I kept forwarding to light scenes in the Alice in wonderland Blu Ray and really could not find even a "hint" of the dark corner problem seen on the 70" sets. I remember it being so obvious on all the 70" sets but here I could just not find it (unless there is something I am missing and the TV image has to be yellow for example). But in the daylight scenes in Alice with white and blu sky backgrounds and the all white scenes later in the movie I just did not see it.

5) I wished I could have sen it hooked up to Cable or DirecTv as I really would like to know how these bigger sets look for NFL broadcast games. At some point I would think the PQ will start to suffer from broadcast TV even in HD.

I have attached some pics of the set as everyone who has posted in here so far has been asking.

Image: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...11011-0903.jpg

Image: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...11011-0903.jpg

Image: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...11011-0906.jpg

Image: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...11011-0904.jpg

Image: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...11011-0906.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Stopped in to Fry's today in Anaheim and there it was in the middle of the TV area backed up against the Mit 92" RP TV. I must say from a distance I though it was one of the 70" models. It is just so hard to judge the size of these TVs when their placed right in the middle of a warehouse floor. In a typical home with 8 foot ceilings in a 10 x 15 room I am sure this thing looks just massive.

Spent about 20 mins looking at and here are my thoughts (remember I am in a store just visually observing. Don't crucify me as I am not an expert):

1) Up close you can see all the pixels. This TV is meant for viewing at least 8 to 10 feet at a BARE minimum.

2) I did not notice any motion blur. Although I was not watching any sports just Alice in Wonderland Blu Ray. It was pretty fluid.

3) Overall the picture looked pretty darn good. On par with the sharp 70" models. It is no Elite (X5) by any stretch of the imagination but compared to all other current 70" models I would say it looked about the same. If you are not an absolute Videophile and don't care about 3D I would say this TV would be just fine for the normal everyday consumer looking for a BIG TV.

4) I think the one piece of news that a lot of people would like an answer too is how do the corners look. Are they as dark as the 70" models. I kept forwarding to light scenes in the Alice in wonderland Blu Ray and really could not find even a "hint" of the dark corner problem seen on the 70" sets. I remember it being so obvious on all the 70" sets but here I could just not find it (unless there is something I am missing and the TV image has to be yellow for example). But in the daylight scenes in Alice with white and blu sky backgrounds and the all white scenes later in the movie I just did not see it.

5) I wished I could have seen it hooked up to Cable or DirecTv as I really would like to know how these bigger sets look for NFL broadcast games. At some point I would think the PQ will start to suffer from broadcast TV even in HD.

I have attached some pics of the set as everyone who has posted in here so far has been asking.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid /forum/post/21068089

5) I wished I could have seen it hooked up to Cable or DirecTv as I really would like to know how these bigger sets look for NFL broadcast games. At some point I would think the PQ will start to suffer from broadcast TV even in HD.

A little off topic, but since they sell for the same price to the bigger is better crowd (me/us), did you compare the Sharp 80" LCD to the Mits 92" DLP RP TV?

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21068003

weird got a notice about this post but now its gone. The magic of the internet

I have been trying to upload the pics and keep blurring out the price on the pics but it never uploads to Photobucket that way. Thus the deleted post and now re-post.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman /forum/post/21068119

A little off topic, but since they sell for the same price to the bigger is better crowd, did you compare the Sharp 80" LCD to the Mits 92" DLP RP TV?

Yeah I looked at both. In a brightly lit warehouse the Mit 92" looked awful. And the glare on that screen....whoa. However, the 80" looks big but not WOW big but the 92" just looked HUGE even in the big open warehouse. I expected the size of the 80" to just blow me away the first time I saw it but as I said earler from a distance I thought it was the 70". Not saying it isn't big (because it is) but something about that jump up to 92" just takes it too another level (speaking size only).

But I couldn't help thinking, "if one has enough room for the 92" Mit you have got to have room for a projector". If you have not seen it I cannot stress just how big the 92" Mit really is. That thing will take up some serious room as it cannot be hung. I look at the 80" Sharp and though "yeah I could hang that on a wall somewhere and it would be impressive but not take up the entire room".

As far as Picture Quality it is very hard to compare because of the reasons stated above. The 92" Mit is no where near as bright so it is very hard to compare in a bright room. In a darkened room they may be very similar in picture quality. The off angle viewing of the 80" was pretty good. Very much in line with the other 70" Sharp sets on the market. But the 80" you could put in say a rec room and would be just fine with outside light coming in.

It just seems to me if you have a dedicated home theater room you are going to just go with a projector (not either of these TV's). If you are like me and live in California (no basement or even extra space) you are using your living room as a home theater type room. The 80" would be perfect on a wall in that type of room but that 92" Mit is going to be the entire room due to its depth and screen size.

Just my 2 cents (or by the length of this post my 10 dollars)

·
Registered
6,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid /forum/post/21068171

Yeah I looked at both. In a brightly lit warehouse the Mit 92" looked awful. And the glare on that screen....whoa. However, the 80" looks big but not WOW big but the 92" just looked HUGE even in the big open warehouse. I expected the size of the 80" to just blow me away the first time I saw it but as I said earler from a distance I thought it was the 70". Not saying it isn't big (because it is) but something about that jump up to 92" just takes it too another level (speaking size only).

But I couldn't help thinking, "if one has enough room for the 92" Mit you have got to have room for a projector". If you have not seen it I cannot stress just how big the 92" Mit really is. That thing will take up some serious room as it cannot be hung. I look at the 80" Sharp and though "yeah I could hang that on a wall somewhere and it would be impressive but not take up the entire room".

As far as Picture Quality it is very hard to compare because of the reasons stated above. The 92" Mit is no where near as bright so it is very hard to compare in a bright room. In a darkened room they may be very similar in picture quality. The off angle viewing of the 80" was pretty good. Very much in line with the other 70" Sharp sets on the market. But the 80" you could put in say a rec room and would be just fine with outside light coming in.

It just seems to me if you have a dedicated home theater room you are going to just go with a projector (not either of these TV's). If you are like me and live in California (no basement or even extra space) you are using your living room as a home theater type room. The 80" would be perfect on a wall in that type of room but that 92" Mit is going to be the entire room due to its depth and screen size.

Just my 2 cents (or by the length of this post my 10 dollars)

I agree about the size & living in Cali .. another note is this display doesn't have the dreaded yellow 4th pixel as well . I'll wait till the 80" comes with local dimming like the Elites do . I have a 60" Sharp so she'll do till then
last years 60" model that was the last CFFL back lighted model they made . It's a beauty Of the 3 sharps I have owned it's the best PQ

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Amazing how B&M's environ can make a large panel appear smallish. The first time I saw the Sharp 70" it didn't seem all that big except for the fact it dwarfed the 55" and 60" adjacent to it and yet when you place that 70/80" in your HT it's pretty massive at normal viewing distance. Amazing how some set the bar for this panel with the Elite when in fact imagine the price were it in that league would certainly exceed $12K and yet it's MSRP is around $5K.

If one is too cheap to maximize HD source material and broadcasts I certainly wouldn't target an 80" panel with SD - rather foolish to do so if one is spending $5K and still ives with SD would be a HT crime. I believe this is targeted for the aging RPTV owners looking to upgrade which is a pretty large target group to cater to. Will look forward to owner feedback soon.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Saw this 80" unit at Frys yesterday and as others have mentioned did not see the familiar vignetting in the corners like the 70" displays. For folks that have a large viewing area in the den & enjoy sports & movies in 2D it appears this set will provide your needs just fine. Personally i also have a HD projector with a 120" screen and plan to upgrade it to one of the latest 3D Projectors since IMO 3D viewing is more appealing on a larger screen then on a 55" to 80" display so the lack of 3D in this Sharp80632U suits me fine. Within 6 months this set will probably be selling for around 3.5K which TBH is where it should be now.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 /forum/post/21070222

Saw this 80" unit at Frys yesterday and as others have mentioned did not see the familiar vignetting in the corners like the 70" displays. For folks that have a large viewing area in the den & enjoy sports & movies in 2D it appears this set will provide your needs just fine. Personally i also have a HD projector with a 120" screen and plan to upgrade it to one of the latest 3D Projectors since IMO 3D viewing is more appealing on a larger screen then on a 55" to 80" display so the lack of 3D in this Sharp80632U suits me fine. Within 6 months this set will probably be selling for around 3.5K which TBH is where it should be now.

Regards,

as soon as the bugs get worked outta the Sharp Elites then you will see them sell to the "must have the best crowd" & these will come down in price as production grows , add to that fact that some of that tech will trickle down as well the PQ will improve & prices will drop . look @ the 60" 1400 @ Costco . next spring & summer will these get to reasonable price . I must say going from a 46" t0 60 " was a great leap & I can't wait to get 80" into my living room . PJ's just don't work for me as it's a living room & an HT room as well . 80" is the max i can go up

seems that the no yellow pixel might drive the prices lower anyway as they are cheaper to make & the yellow pixel has not shown to the earthshattering improvement in PQ any way . local dimming is what i want

21 - 40 of 3305 Posts