AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that there were threads for the LC-E, LC-D and LC-B series 42" Sharp Aquos LCD/LED-LCD tvs, but I recently picked up the LC-42LE620UT, and I thought it deserved a thread as well to help people wanting the details on this TV; particularly with Dell's habit of cutting its price.

I bought this TV from Dell and had it delivered before Black Friday, etc. I checked its sister model, the LE810 series, at Best Buy, and I was pretty impressed. The picture popped out at me really strongly from the others.

A few details - it's not Quattron, it is Aquos. I don't think Quattron really adds anything significant but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

It's an edge-lit LED; to my eye it's maybe a bit crisper than some other conventional LCDs, but that's probably just the panel. It's bloody thin, though, weighs about 30 lbs. total as a 42" and it just sips power.

The stand is...not great. Tough to get all the screws in evenly. Unfortunately I don't trust the wall I'd mount it on, so...stuck with that.

The picture is, frankly, stunning. My first HDTV over 40", and I'm thrilled with it. The settings that come out of the box, however, are garbage. I mean really, honestly, apocalyptically atrocious. Fortunately, it can be tweaked.

Here's what might be a dealbreaker for many, though. You can set up custom settings; for which I'll create a second threat show roughly how I got mine looking normal and human - but as far as I can tell, the menu only allows for a single custom preset. There are other presets, but trying to change them jumps you back to your "custom" setting and also overwrites it. Really annoying to learn the first time.

If you need fine tune control AND a variety of presets for movies, TV, gaming - this ain't the TV for you.

98% of the picture processing effects are, as expected, pretty much garbage

Stock sound is also pretty meh - you'll definitely want a hi-fi system to back it up.

If this sounds negative, it's because I want to be realistic about the set's shortcomings. Otherwise, it does what I want it to exceptionally well. Movies look great, plugging in my laptop via HDMI looks stunning, i don't get eyestrain and i get realistic colors, blacks are deep, deep, deep black, great daytime performance, low power usage, ZERO input lag.

There's a "VyperDrive" gaming engine to get less lag, but honestly, I usually forget to activate it because it's not even noticeable. This TV has no perceptible lag on HDMI hookups to an Xbox 360 or PC. That's really key to me, and basically why I wrote off reportedly laggy brands like Samsung.

Oh, and it's really pretty:

Anyone else running this TV, in 42" or larger? Any thoughts?

Also, if I made any mistakes on my first post, please let me know. I just couldn't find a review anywhere on the web that wasn't straight PR, and I thought this would be a good place to post my experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Mariachi86, thanks for starting this thread. I also took the plunge on this model in part due to dell's shockingly low price.

It's my second aquos (my old one, an LC-32D50U, just died after 4+ very solid years)

I've been having a lot of difficulty messing with the picture settings to get it up to snuff. I agree that most of the processing effects are lousy and I know the settings out the box are garbage but I'm really struggling with perfecting the picture.

Would you be so kind as to share the settings you settled on? It would be much appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too would love to know what settings you guys are using. Just picked up the LC-46LE620UT and the motion processing is quite lousy indeed. However, the dark blacks are nice and I would love to up the ante on picture quality running via my PS3 (can you enable super white, full RGB, etc?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my LED 620 yesterday. Wow, the settings out of the box were horrible. I started on Dynamic setting, then set brightness to 73, contrast 50, saturation 40, left color temp on cool. I turned off all the advanced items except for adaptive backlight. It's much better now. I'm sure it could be fined tuned more, I did this real quickly right after I turned it on.

I've been real happy with it so far. The only thing I don't care for is the four "spotlights" coming from all four corners towards the center on dark scenes. But that's probably cause I have the brightness turned up so I could actually see what was going on in dark scenes.

Sound seems to be really good, but I don't have any surround sound system so I'm used to TV speakers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any members with this tv have any updates on how they like it they'd be willing to share? Thinking of buying this TV from Dell and would appreciate any updates that owners can offer as to reliability of this set and experiences with Sharp Customer Service. Also wanting to know if it's an IPS panel or not. Thanks for any help offered on this question.

Edited: Someone on another big forum said only LG or Panny use IPS panels, is this the case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has video settings for the LC-42LE620UT, I have tried the one listed in this thread (thank you) but, the color still seems off. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all....I just took the plunge on the 55 inch model. Should be here on friday. I have the disney world of wonders disc so I'll see what settings I get and post them for everyone.

I have a lg 47 inch led which i love the picture on. I wanted to go a little bigger so hopefully this picture is atleast just as good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 55 620 is on the way as well. Should be here Thurs or Fri. Can't wait!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do any of you guys know what kind of panel tech this set has? The website doesn't say X-Gen, but "The LC-55LE620UT utilizes a high-performance LCD panel providing ultra-dark high Dynamic Contrast Ratio and fast response time".

There has been a couple other Sharp threads questioning whether or not their model is an X-Gen. Their site is all over the map with info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just picked up this set and it's gorgeous! We are very ahppy with the crispness of the picture, so glad we got it before Dell bumped the price back up by almost four hundred bucks.

EDIT Its back down to what we paid for it so if you want this set from dell snag it soon! Its fantastic!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so you can actually set separate user visuals for each of the 8 inputs.

For my XBOX, I have it set to:

AV Mode: User

BRightness: 75

Contrast: 46

Saturation: 31

Hue: 3

Sharpness: 0 (it's post-proces=ssing, so...)

Color temp:

R Gain: -10

G Gain: 17

B Gain: 26

Advanced:

DNR: Low

MPEG NR: Of

Adaptive Luma: ON

Fleshtone: On

Blue Stretch: On

Game mode: On

Adaptive backlight: on

Motion judder is locked down by the Game mode, so it defaults to off.

For the HDMI to my computer, same settings. I've played videos on both screens and they look functionally identical on both; perhaps the greens pop a bit more on the TV.

For regular TV (HD over-the-air broadcast)

Brightness: 63

Contrast: 50

Saturation: 33

Hue 1

Sharpness 1

R Gain: 46

G Gain: 1

B Gain 15

Same settings for advanced, but no game mode

Your taste and mileage may vary; I'm not a pro. But this worked for me.

Also, didn't touch sound settings, because the speakers suck. I just ran it straight to my NAD receiver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the 46" myself. Very decent right out of the box. Dont have HD hooked up yet but even the few OTA HD channels look very nice. I do notice the backlight bleeding in the four corners when the screen is pure black but perhaps that will reduce as I dial in the settings. I have not found a lot of detail on calibration settings.

Im also right now looking for a Blu Ray. Wondering what everyone's take is on whether I should specifically get the AQUOS blu ray player or just a good model from Samsung, Sony or anyone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*bump from the dead*

So I've had the lc-42le620ut model for about 3 months now. Great picture but just ran into a bit of a problem... I just upgraded the firmware to the latest v205 and now my PC over HDMI doesn't work anymore!!! Anybody else experiencing this problem? I guess it's like the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Also, it's stupid that the TV reports to the computer of having a native resolution of 1360x768. It's a 1080p screen for crying out loud! I can force the resolution to 1080, but anytime I restart, windows takes it back to 1360x768. Stupid!!!

Update: It looks like I fixed it by doing the old unplug TV for 30 seconds trick. The firmware still really didn't improve anything. It still has the issue where you adjust the backlight manually and once you change inputs it doesn't remember what the backlight was set to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 60-inch edge-lit LED Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE632U

I bought this unit from BB two days ago and not only is the picture quality bad, it is unwatchable. I have tried different settings, turning motion controls and power savings on and off.

I have not tried the Aquos Live support yet.

It's going back by the end of the week if I can't get it to look as good as my entry level plasma Panasonic (RIP)

Any suggestions? Forum page that would walk me through the adjustment process? Alternative tv selections?

Thanks

Dbidbi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts