AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 2821 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18625201

ugh, this isn't working, i took a pic, it's on my hddrive and the jpeg is too large... what's the deal; and i dont have a program to compress a file - law school has stripped away some basic computer knowledge haha

See if this will help you, it'll resize the photograph for you. (It's more than likely the resolution of the photograph and not the compression itself.)

http://www.resizeimage.org

Upload your image, resize (Large as possible, but not original), and then post it here!

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i wouldve taken a picture while playing dead space... however, I got too stressed out; freakin things pop out of everywhere. But the clouding was SO bad, that it was hard to see in the game... the clouding is tough to see to its full extent, but its actually primarily concentrated on the left and center (note that the picture of the scarecrow and the light to the top left, that is blooming from the camera, etc., theres no real clouding there, but everything is dead on.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18625317

i wouldve taken a picture while playing dead space... however, I got too stressed out; freakin things pop out of everywhere. But the clouding was SO bad, that it was hard to see in the game... the clouding is tough to see to its full extent, but its actually primarily concentrated on the left and center (note that the picture of the scarecrow and the light to the top left, that is blooming from the camera, etc., theres no real clouding there, but everything is dead on.

Damn, I can definitely notice that. Looks a lot worse than MovieGuy's set. Are we certain this is an issue with the size of the TV or just a bad egg in the lot?

You really should take some photos of you playing a game! Just get to a point in Dead Space where the action slows down and take some shots. That's a great game, and it should give me an idea how cloudy the picture looks with darker games. I'm mainly choosing Sharp over everything else due to input lag alone (I'm going to be doing a lot of gaming). Which is why I'm staying away from Samsung for the time being. So, unless the picture is an abomination, I can deal with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
well I can tell you that the color is great, etc., there is an issue with to motion glitch; but that'll probably be fixed through a firmware upgrade. I kind of think that the clouding I have is just unlucky, but probably more prevalent in larger screens

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still really impressed with this television. I just found some tweaks that I will try this evening, after work. I agree with movieguy. The quattron is Sharps pride and joy. They are betting a lot on this set, so they want every owner to be happy. Let them know about any issues we have.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18625303

HA! i got it...

Definitely defective. It is true that the larger the set the more it is prone to clouding, but that is just too obvious.

Just get it replaced if you can. If not call Sharp. They've sent me a replacement pretty quickly last time (700UN). Unfortunately,

I got the set with the same problem from them and had to get my money back (which was not an issue).

·
Registered
70 Posts
well, i'm going to bestbuy today hopefully; gonna replace it with a 40 inch; still pretty large, and I think red dead redemption will still look great on it haha. Hopefully it will be like movieguy's. As for PV, quite honestly, it sounds like he is "trolling" because he is sick and tired of the lack of quality control by ANY company out there; and i'd have to agree with him. I went from a samsung 640, then a b750, and now this, and each one had problems; that's just pathetic. I always talk out against the recent samsung panels, and maybe his frustration stems from the sharps (being the last straw etc). So, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape by him.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18626397

well, i'm going to bestbuy today hopefully; gonna replace it with a 40 inch; still pretty large

Your set is just defective. I would not go for a smaller screen just because your first set was like that.

People have 52" screens with no clouding here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah, but frankly, a 46 is very large for this room, and i'm only a year from graduating law school, so maybe when I do, the panasonic plasmas will be using the pioneer patented technology, so i'll get my big screen then.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18626643

i'm only a year from graduating law school, so maybe when I do, the panasonic plasmas will be using the pioneer patented technology

Congrats but I got a Q

Where did you hear Panasonic is going to be using Pioneer technology in their plasmas? Im not too up on plasmas so I assume you are correct, I just havent seen this pointed out

I was also under the impression that since Sharp bought stake in Pioneer, and around that time after that they stopped making TVs, they would possibly get some Pioneer technology in their TVs or maybe a joint venture, although this is just me assuming, I have not seen this really written anywhere to collaborate this statement

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've always shyed away from buying the newest thing on the market for a couple reasons, mainly 1. Prices are always elevated because its the "new" thing, and 2. There are usually a lot of kinks that need to be worked out with the first batch and I don't enjoy being a guinea pig.

I was really close to buying one of these sets but went with the 88UN instead. Very pleased with the 88UN, and gaming rocks on this TV. Maybe take a look at the 88UN if quattron and ethernet capabilities aren't of concern to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
can't remember where I heard it (yea i know, violation of many evidentiary rules haha, i'm on break), but it's out there! Plus who knows, maybe by next year we will have SED tvs (I can dream!) Back on topic though; does anyone have any values for the three different color settings; i messed around with the third one (cant remember the title), and the picture is looking even better! So when I get the new one, I wanted to dial it in to look even better

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluskinsfan21 /forum/post/18626717

can't remember where I heard it (yea i know, violation of many evidentiary rules haha, i'm on break), but it's out there! Plus who knows, maybe by next year we will have SED tvs (I can dream!) Back on topic though; does anyone have any values for the three different color settings; i messed around with the third one (cant remember the title), and the picture is looking even better! So when I get the new one, I wanted to dial it in to look even better

IMO, it's not worth it to worry about what this guy or that guy says are the "optimal" or "perfect" settings to get the best picture on any specific TV. Think about all the outside variables that factor in to how each individual person processes the colors/picture that are being displayed from the TV.

Room lighting, eyesight, the color of the paint in your room, how your brain processes the colors it's seeing...i mean show 1000 people a blue/green image on a TV and some will say its green and others will say its blue. Or, put a red image on the TV and there are some people out there that will see it as orange. Everybody sees colors differently. No two people have the exact same eyesight.

If you want to calibrate stuff for hours and hours trying to get the "perfect" picture...for YOURSELF...go right ahead...time well spent if that's what your goal is...but don't take other people's settings and accept them for "the perfect settings"...because you'll end up driving yourself mad wondering why this guy and that guy say and the other guy think these settings look "perfect", but maybe don't look "perfect" to you.

The only way anyone is going to find the perfect settings for any particular TV is if they calibrate the TV to a set of robot eyes until the robot says the picture is perfect, and then everybody goes out and buys that TV, uses those settings, and gets the same robot eyes implanted into their eye sockets. Now, you have your TV setup "perfectly".

Go watch a movie, play some video games, and stop worrying about the eternal quest for a perfect TV picture...because it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to purchase this display and i am looking on other similar displays as well. Does anyone know if the Quattron has 24p cinematic playback? i can't find it anywhere on Sharp's website.

thanks,

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had a 60" 810UN for a couple weeks now. I have been reading the reviews and rants on here and decided to drop some info on "my" view. I'm just a regular guy who knows very little about calibration other than "what my eyes like."

I'll try to organize my thoughts:

Clouding:

I loaded up some jpgs of white/black/yellow/green/red/blue. I'll try to put up some pictures this weekend if I get time. Mine has some clouding (actually it can look quite bad).

With the auto adjustment enabled, the clouding is almost non-existant. However I can't get the calibration suitable to remove the clouds without ruining the picture on my own. I'm suspecting that a formal calibration would be able to tune this better. The auto mode is so good I wonder if it can tune sections of the screen independently (I would guess not, but it IS that good).

Cosmetics:

I love the way it looks. It's not just a flat black box. The glossy trim and silver edges look great and chrome mount and glass stand make it look modern but do not distract from the viewing experience IMO.

The gloss screen is a bit too reflective for my tastes and picks up any lamps in the room. I would have liked a more matte finish.

Interface:

I'm a pretty impatient guy, and the menus are slow to respond, but not unbearably slow.

The interface is well organized and very pleasing to navigate. I'm impressed with the time they spent making it look good.

Tearing/Video Corruption:

I had the tearing on TBS/TNT thru a Motorola DCX3400 via component or HDMI (tried both).

I did the firmware upgrade and now I get very little, but it still happens. Mostly when watching SD upconverted commercials on TBS/TNT. I have not noticed it on major network broadcasts and have none when on my Sony BD.

However after the firmware upgrade, I have been getting some lipsync issues on many of the HD stations including FX. However, I found it interesting that I get the lipsync issue when watching "Justified" during its normal broadcast, but not during playback of the DVR. At this point I'm convinced it is the cable box, because the TV has no idea if it is live or DVR.

SOE

I recently started watching everything in GAME because of the SOE that you get from Fine Motion Enhance in almost all broadcasts of HD movies. LOTR was horrible as well as National Treasure.

Color

The default setting options look horrible in all formats. The crushing blacks and blinding whites are a bit too much. There are enough adjustments however that I feel anyone "should" be able to get this picture into a suitable calibration for any room or ambiance. For my room, GAME with Low color temperature and some slight tweaking on color saturation made it very nice to my eyes. It does have some issues with reds looking purple, but I was able to tweak those out as well.

Input lag

I don't have a PS3 or X360, but can say via PC and the VGA port that gaming is fine. Games like GRID and DIRT2 are very lag sensitive and I was able to play them just fine.

You will need to set the scaling to "dot by dot" or your 1920x1080 image will be pushed off all 4 edges.

Conclusion:

Overall I'm very happy with this set, all setups seem to have their pros and cons and the pros for me outweigh the cons pretty significantly.

I could consider taking mine back to get one with less clouding, but feel its pretty much to be expected from an edge-lit set, so I'm just going to accept it for what it is. My clouding at this point is almost a non-issue. And this weeks Justified had some pretty dark scenes and was a pleasure to watch. Maybe its because I'm used to hotspots on a DLP projector and this is nothing compared to that.

If anyone has any questions that they'd like to have answered, I'll do my best to follow this thread and give my unprofessional viewpoint.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegmi2 /forum/post/18626705

I was really close to buying one of these sets but went with the 88UN instead. Very pleased with the 88UN, and gaming rocks on this TV. Maybe take a look at the 88UN if quattron and ethernet capabilities aren't of concern to you.

I just wish they had it in smaller screen sizes (46" or 52").

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguy163201 /forum/post/18626674

Where did you hear Panasonic is going to be using Pioneer technology in their plasmas? Im not too up on plasmas so I assume you are correct, I just havent seen this pointed out

Panasonic acquired patents and human resources from Pioneer when Pioneer got out of the plasma business. That's why there was a lot of optimism about the 2010 Panasonics before they were released. I think Pioneer retained the rights to the "Kuro" name and possibly some of their patents, but I don't know all the details.

301 - 320 of 2821 Posts