AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine will be delivered on this Wed! So excited!

Ordered this with a SHARP LC46D85U together at Amazon. Can't wait to try the BD Wall-E and Dark Knight!

Does anyone know how to make it region-free

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, but I just discovered last night that it won't play 'Narnia - Prince Caspian' even with the latest firmware update. Like others have said on BD-HP21U, after the trailers it just goes to a blank screen.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuroray /forum/post/15457494

Ordered this with a SHARP LC46D85U together at Amazon. Can't wait to try the BD Wall-E and Dark Knight!

What made you go for this player over the one of the Panasonic or Sony models?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreyb /forum/post/15462065

No, but I just discovered last night that it won't play 'Narnia - Prince Caspian' even with the latest firmware update. Like others have said on BD-HP21U, after the trailers it just goes to a blank screen.

Get the firmware update -

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...86,229,00.html

I want to take the adventage of the AQUOS LINK design to have one seamless system between the 46LC85U and BD-HP50U
Also, the Amazon combo price made me very difficult to resist

Need to know the trick to make it region free

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:

I got the same model and its been working well Great indeed

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuroray /forum/post/15463568

Get the firmware update -

I want to take the adventage of the AQUOS LINK design to have one seamless system between the 46LC85U and BD-HP50U
Also, the Amazon combo price made me very difficult to resist

Need to know the trick to make it region free

Official reply from Sharp (Narnia won't work):

Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corporation.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on developing a firmware to resolve this issue but I do not have a time frame for when this update will be released. Please continue to check the website for further updates.

We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with this information. If you need additional information include all information from prior e-mail messages and replies.

Julia Sandefur

Customer Assistance Center

As they say 'strong letter to follow from me!

I am writing to the President of Sharp USA today.

If you want to do so here are the details:

Sharp Electronics Corporation

Sharp Plaza

Mahwah, New Jersey 07495-1163

Attn: Toshihiko Fujimoto

President

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BD-HP50U arrived!

I have not received the SHARP LC46D85U yet so I "HDMIed" it to my old SHARP LC37D4U (1080i) but the pictures (Dark Knight and Wall-E) look stunning already!

Also, updated the latest firmware from the SHARP website.

Only thing that I don't like so far is that the unit takes a bit long time to read the BD discs. Also the remote control looks kind of cheap. It looks like it was made by RCA in the late 80's!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I received a call yesterday from the 'Office of the President' at SharpUSA following my letter about their lack of urgency about getting a firmware update out so that 'Narnia-Prince Caspian' will play on Sharp Blu-Ray players.

She obviously did not understand what the problem was and promised to 'get the technician who liaises with the warehouse' to call me on Monday. I told her that Sharp Blu-Ray players were being bad mouthed all over the web for not playing this disk and what it needed was for the President of SharpUSA to call the head of the technical division and say 'get this done'.

If anyone wants to write to him the details are:

Sharp Plaza

Mahwah, New Jersey 07495-1163

Attn: Toshihiko Fujimoto

President

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey. Just got the same combo for my living room. I've already had a Panasonic, Samsung, and PS3 for my dedicated Home Theater movie watching, so I am very familiar with the goods and bads of Blu-Ray.

So far I am pleased with the Sharp. The loading is super slow, but besides that, I have no complaints. It's a very large unit, but that's good, because it makes stacking another piece of equipment on top.

I'm glad to see Sharp keeping up with firmware even if they aren't released monthly. Samsung on the other hand is VERY slow about supporting their existing products. They tend to stop releasing firmware when the next model comes out. I'm hoping Sharp isn't the same way.

The picture looks great though. And the Aquos Link appears to work pretty well. All in all, I am pleased. Especially since it was free!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This bd-hp50u has been doing great!

All my standard DVD look excellent through this machine. Also, no problem to play any Blu-ray movies so far.

I like the AQUOS link more and more. This is a very nice design to work with my AQUOS 46D85!

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuroray /forum/post/15677595

This bd-hp50u has been doing great!

All my standard DVD look excellent through this machine. Also, no problem to play any Blu-ray movies so far.

I like the AQUOS link more and more. This is a very nice design to work with my AQUOS 46D85!

Have you got 'Narnia - Prince Caspian' to play on it?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuroray /forum/post/15685088

No. Not on that one.

Have you heard anything from SHARP?

Only this:

Dear Mr. Godfrey,

I wanted to follow up with you on your case file.

I have been working with our technical department on getting additional information on the firmware for fixing your Blu-Ray issue.

Unfortunately I'm still working with them to try to find out a resolution as soon as more information becomes available I will inform you.

Thanks so much and I do apologize for the delay.

Sarina Alesi

Customer Assistance Center

1300 Naperville Drive

Romeoville, IL 60446

P#630-378-3377

F#630-378-9980

Email: [email protected]

I sent her a sharp response (just realized the pun). If nothing happens in the next few weeks another letter to the President of SharpUSA mentioning 'class action suit'.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes they have been in contact and I updated the firmware. Told them that I couldn't tell them if it worked until I get the 'Narnia - Prince Caspian' disk back from Netflix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK this is my first post so don't beat me up too bad. I have tried search but I have not found anything that matches my problem. I have worked with Sharp and they were helpful and nice but my problem is not resolve. Using the AquosLink my pause, chapter forward, and chapter reverse does not work. All other functions work OK. Yes, the cables were replaced, the TV remote was used [and a new one was sent by Sharp], and the functions work when I am using the BR remote pointed at the player. I have the player in a closet so I use the AquosLink to control the player. Any of you have issues using this feature? I have a new 46" Sharp LCD that has the AquosLink function and remember all other functions work OK. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts