AVS Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2216 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi. I have a stereo setup with Sonos AMP + Magnepan MMG speakers + Rythmik LV12F sub.

I know that may sound a little unorthodox but the AMP is one of the very few streaming amplifiers that could drive such inefficient speakers well. Besides, coming from a Connect AMP it was a logical

So I have been wondering if there is a way to drive my speakers each by a dedicated AMP: one Sonos AMP for left channel, one for right channel. I've checked on AMP product page but I don't see anything related. Does someone have any experience with this? Or maybe I am overcomplicating things? Can I just connect one speker to left output on AMP1 and second speaker to right output on AMP2?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Hi. I have a stereo setup with Sonos AMP + Magnepan MMG speakers + Rythmik LV12F sub.

I know that may sound a little unorthodox but the AMP is one of the very few streaming amplifiers that could drive such inefficient speakers well. Besides, coming from a Connect AMP it was a logical

So I have been wondering if there is a way to drive my speakers each by a dedicated AMP: one Sonos AMP for left channel, one for right channel. I've checked on AMP product page but I don't see anything related. Does someone have any experience with this? Or maybe I am overcomplicating things? Can I just connect one speker to left output on AMP1 and second speaker to right output on AMP2?

Thanks
Are you having problems driving the Magnepans? For what you're trying to do, I think you got the wrong product. The Port with a sufficient amp would be the way to go. There are 2 amps in the Sonos, so splitting won't help. Make sure the amp has a way to send a signal to the sub, my svs subs don't have speaker connections, just LFE.

A second gen connect would work too, it supports s2. I have one attached to my receiver.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I never mention that. Not my case. I just want to know if it is possible
It would be better to just do Port > outboard amps. I don't even think the Sonos Amp is bridgeable in a way that you could get more power out of it running mono. They need to be specifically designed that way in the first place.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts

Thanks
You are asking a question that most participants here will not have a good answer For. Why don't you simply ask Sonos Support? They can answer this question.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts

Thanks
I used to have a Magnepan system. Those are VERY fun speakers.

After reviewing the options in the Sonos apps, I can confidently say "Nope, one can't do that. In other words, running two AMPs, one as the left channel and one as the right is not a valid configuration option."

The only products in their line up that offer that kind of functionality are their "all in one" speakers (Play 1, for example) which let you create stereo pairs (and is a really nice feature; I use that in my kitchen).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used to have a Magnepan system. Those are VERY fun speakers.

After reviewing the options in the Sonos apps, I can confidently say "Nope, one can't do that. In other words, running two AMPs, one as the left channel and one as the right is not a valid configuration option."

The only products in their line up that offer that kind of functionality are their "all in one" speakers (Play 1, for example) which let you create stereo pairs (and is a really nice feature; I use that in my kitchen).
Very fun indeed.

Thanks

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
I received a notification about a new Sonos S2 app. Has anyone installed this app and tried it out? It mentions support for higher res audio. Has anyone seen specs regarding what Sonos means by "higher res"?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I received a notification about a new Sonos S2 app. Has anyone installed this app and tried it out? It mentions support for higher res audio. Has anyone seen specs regarding what Sonos means by "higher res"?
As far as I know there is no high res support yet, this initial release seems mostly to just be about doing the S1/S2 split and laying groundwork for new features in future S2 releases (and making the icon this weird mannequin-skin beige color).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I downloaded the S2 app. So far, FLAC appears to be the highest supported resolution, even for Qobuz, Tidal, & Amazon HD,

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
Well, I stream FLAC using my current S1 devices, so that is not an improvement.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I can't see any improvements in the S2 app. Almost makes me wonder why I sold off my S1 gear like my Connects. I was hoping at the very least they would allow larger libraries to be indexed with the S2 ecosystem, since they claimed the memory on the old devices was the limiting factor for library size. But I have since confirmed with their support team that the library size limit remains in place, even with S2 devices.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
I continue to use my S1 Connects, having not seen any benefits to the newer devices yet.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sonos has always been super slow at introducing new features and since it’s pretty obvious they weren’t intending to do S1 at all in the first place (they were just planning to drop support for older devices altogether) that probably ate up a ton of their development resources.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
My Sonos system is down. Things are completely corrupted. It lost my beam+sub+play3 surrounds. I'm not sure if anything works at all. The same happened to my friend. I have 4 Play one, 2 One, 2 Play 3, Move, Sub and Beam. WTH!

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
My Sonos system is down. Things are completely corrupted. It lost my beam+sub+play3 surrounds. I'm not sure if anything works at all. The same happened to my friend. I have 4 Play one, 2 One, 2 Play 3, Move, Sub and Beam. WTH!
Must be something local to your setup. My Sonos is working fine.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Sorry to hear this. There are lots of user reports of this on the forum and in the app store reviewing the S2 app. Hopefully Sonos rolls out a fix before long for those that are impacted. I got lucky and the update to S2 didn't hose my system. That would have just added insult to injury. No new features AND messing up things that were previously working.

Did Sonos support give you an ETA on the fix?

2061 - 2080 of 2216 Posts