AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2204 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have been using the Deezer streaming service for several years, and am generally pleased with its music library. I am still using my Connect with Digital Coax output to a Marantz processor. Over the last several months I have been getting "Unable to play song because the connection to Deezer was lost", and playback skips to the next song in the queue. I can rarely play an entire album without this error happening to at least one song.

So, I have been trying to determine whether there is something in my infrastructure causing this problem. I have a 200Mbps internet connection, a Sonos Boost wired directly to the router, and the Connect is only about 20ft away from the Boost with a direct line-of-sight (no walls or other obstructions). I have tried plugging in my laptop into one of the network ports on the back of the Connect and running Speedtest, and the resulting speed from the Boost was not very good, only ~10Mbps. However, that should be enough bandwidth--my network monitor shows between 1 and 1.5Mbps download speeds when a lossless FLAC file is playing. Anyone seeing a similar playback interruption issue with Deezer? Amy tips on further troubleshooting?

On a side note, to determine whether this is a Deezer issue, I am considering a free trial of Qobuz. Anyone using Qobuz and, if so, how is the Sonos integration?

Edit: I have switched from using SonosNet and the Boost to using my home wireless network directly to see if this results in fixing the lost connection issue.
Did using the wireless network resolve the issue?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Did using the wireless network resolve the issue?
Not completely. I had one dropped connection yesterday, which is less frequent than before the change. I am hoping it's not the Connect that is going bad.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Maybe you could temporarily run an ethernet cable from the back of the boost that is connected to the router and your connect unit to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively, you could run the cable from the router directly to the connect bypassing the boost.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Yes, that seems like a logical next step. I also have a second Connect in the bedroom that I could swap for the one in the living room. Unfortunately, the Connect in the living room has the $500 Wyred4Sound mod, which means a potential loss of audio quality if the living room Connect turns out to be the issue.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hi Jerry, I must admit, Sonos tech-support is really good. ...
I generally agree but I went back and forth with them for literally six months. They never resolved the issue and kept asking for more diagnostics and more reconfigurations and more phone calls. Round and round.

I applaud their diligence - less so their effectiveness.

Reactions: idratherbeflying

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
I generally agree but I went back and forth with them for literally six months. They never resolved the issue and kept asking for more diagnostics and more reconfigurations and more phone calls. Round and round.

I applaud their diligence - less so their effectiveness.
Were you having a similar issue, or something completely different?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Maybe you could temporarily run an ethernet cable from the back of the boost that is connected to the router and your connect unit to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively, you could run the cable from the router directly to the connect bypassing the boost.
No joy, Sam. I ran a coax from the router directly to the Connect, and just now had another dropped connection to Deezer. I should add that I never have dropped connections when playing Apple Music or Pandora, which are lower bit rates, of course. I guess it is time to enlist Sonos Support to see if they can shed any light on the issue. I could also try a 1-month Tidal subscription to see if streaming lossless FLAC causes the same issues. Somewhere there is an answer to this issue. Or I could just switch to Roon...

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
No joy, Sam. I ran a coax from the router directly to the Connect, and just now had another dropped connection to Deezer. I should add that I never have dropped connections when playing Apple Music or Pandora, which are lower bit rates, of course. I guess it is time to enlist Sonos Support to see if they can shed any light on the issue. I could also try a 1-month Tidal subscription to see if streaming lossless FLAC causes the same issues. Somewhere there is an answer to this issue. Or I could just switch to Roon...
It could be your router going bad. I had problems with Sonos accessing certain sites when my router was failing.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
It could be your router going bad. I had problems with Sonos accessing certain sites when my router was failing.
My Asus RT-AX88U is only a month old, and the model was chosen because it was highly rated on PC Mag's list of recommended routers. So I doubt it is the router causing the issue. The issue happened with the previous router as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hi Jerry, by coax I presume you mean ethernet. The fact that other services are working flawlessly could mean it's a firmware issue that needs to be addressed by Sonos specifically for Deezer. I think it would be best to discuss this with Sonos tech support.

Did you try swapping the connect units or does the same problem occur on the other unit too?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Hi Jerry, by coax I presume you mean ethernet. The fact that other services are working flawlessly could mean it's a firmware issue that needs to be addressed by Sonos specifically for Deezer. I think it would be best to discuss this with Sonos tech support.

Did you try swapping the connect units or does the same problem occur on your other connect unit?
Yes, Ethernet. I have not swapped the Connects yet. I'll do that now. Then I'll open a case with Sonos.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is it possible this is the result of Deezer making a change and the Sonos S1 and S2 split? Sonos May say it’s a legacy product issue with no additional support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Is it possible this is the result of Deezer making a change and the Sonos S1 and S2 split? Sonos May say it’s a legacy product issue with no additional support.

Well, I don't know if they will withhold support for the S1 Connect. If that were the case, then I would be faced with the choice of purchasing a Port, or investing the money into equipment to support a switch to Roon. The problem is that I don't know that the issue would be resolved with the Port. And the problem with Roon is that it would limit my streaming choices to Tidal or Qobuz.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
I hooked up the bedroom Connect and am listening to a Deezer stream. The issue (lost connection) just happened, so this rules out the living room Connect hardware as the issue. Time to get Sonos support involved.

·
Registered
987 Posts

This is very likely the case based upon Jerry's last test involving the connect in the bedroom.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I hooked up the bedroom Connect and am listening to a Deezer stream. The issue (lost connection) just happened, so this rules out the living room Connect hardware as the issue. Time to get Sonos support involved.
Hope Sonos will be nice enough to sort you out. If they withhold support for the S1 Connect, you could always resort to an alternative service such as Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal. Hopefully, alternative suppliers will keep stable with S1 devices.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Hope Sonos will be nice enough to sort you out. If they withhold support for the S1 Connect, you could always resort to an alternative service such as Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal. Hopefully, alternative suppliers will keep stable with S1 devices.
I received a disappointing response from Sonos support, typical boiler-plate recommendations. 1). re-start your router, even though I told them I had a new router. 2) Reduce wireless interference, even though I told them that I had the same issues with a direct Ethernet connection. 3). Move your Sonos component to a different location, again not a valid recommendation since I tried the direct wired connection. 4) Ask Deezer to "clear my buffer", not even sure I know what that means.

I guess the next step would be to try Tidal, since I want to compare the same FLAC music streams. Unfortunately, converting to Tidal would be a PITA, since most of the content saved in "My Sonos" has links to Deezer music.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,638 Posts
Try reaching out to Deezer tech support, they may be able to help.
I requested a 2nd-level support person at Sonos and am making progress. Now I need to capture a diagnostic when the problem occurs. It's like waiting for the pot to boil.

I have never had any meaningful interaction with Deezer support.

2101 - 2120 of 2204 Posts