AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2136 of 2136 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Were you having a similar issue, or something completely different?
Similar. Not being able to keep multiple sonos in sync even with one wired directly to the Orbi main unit. Plugging in a sonos and having the whole network crash (devices disappearing that weren't even sonos).

The building is all brick and wifi is challenging at best.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hope Sonos is able to solve your problem, I know a lot of people including myself and friends that are not happy with Sonos's decision in regards to stopping support for S1 equipment. It takes years or decades to garner good reputation and I think Sonos should have continued to support all their customers regardless what gear they have.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,399 Posts
Thanks, Sam. So far, I have not received any pushback for supporting my Connect. I submitted a diagnostic report when I received a Sonos dropped connection, and their response was that it revealed some network interference, possibly in my local WiFi. I commented that I had seen Deezer dropped connections while the Connect had a temporary direct Ethernet connection, and my conclusion at the time was that my WiFi was not the root cause. Last night, I re-connected the Ethernet cable and powered the Boost off. After about an hour of listening to a Deezer stream, I had a dropped connection and was able to capture a new diagnostic at the moment the interruption occurred. I am waiting on their analysis of the new diagnostic.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi Jerry, that is definitely good progress in terms of attempting to troubleshoot the problem. Hopefully, Sonos will get a deeper insight into the issue which may help them to pinpoint where the problem is.

·
Registered
964 Posts
One of the issues with Sonos devices is that it's own wireless protocol (SonosNet) is still active even after a Sonos device is connected via ethernet (wired). I'm not sure if Sonos rectified this issue with the second generation devices but I presume not because Sonos is primarily designed for wireless operation. Hence, there are ways to switch-off the wireless feature in each device (WiFi and SonosNet) so that they depend solely on the wired infrastructure. This reduces wireless interference.

However, before looking into such stuff, let Sonos tech support give you feedback. Here is an interesting article / explanation:-

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,399 Posts
One of the issues with Sonos devices is that it's own wireless protocol (SonosNet) is still active even after a Sonos device is connected via ethernet (wired). I'm not sure if Sonos rectified this issue with the second generation devices but I presume not because Sonos is primarily designed for wireless operation. Hence, there are ways to switch-off the wireless feature in each device (WiFi and SonosNet) so that they depend solely on the wired infrastructure. This reduces wireless interference.

However, before looking into such stuff, let Sonos tech support give you feedback. Here is an interesting article / explanation:-
Yes, that is an interesting article, thanks for sharing. I suspected SonosNet night still be active, so when I tried the Ethernet connection, I powered of both the Boost and my second Connect in the bedroom, assuming that this would turn off SonosNet.

I have not received any additional comments from Sonos support following the Ethernet connection test, and whether they were still seeing any type of interference. I am about to start an evaluation of Roon, for which I will also be conducting a 30-day trial of Tidal, since Deezer is not supported by Roon. Other than the issues I have been having with Deezer, I have been a happy Sonos user. But the Deezer issues, combined with the relegation of the Connect to S1 status has heightened my interest in alternatives. And Roon users are pretty vocal in their praise of the product.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had an issue with my NAD BlueOS where if I played something from Spotify and cast it would shut down after about 12 minutes. Once I finally got around to trying to do it via the BlueOS app instead of Spotify it seems to work.

I have no idea how Deezer is set up, but maybe it’s something weird like that. However, Sonos’ integration is miles better. Plus, sounds you haven’t been doing anything different - it just stopped working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had an issue with my NAD BlueOS where if I played something from Spotify and cast it would shut down after about 12 minutes. Once I finally got around to trying to do it via the BlueOS app instead of Spotify it seems to work.

I have no idea how Deezer is set up, but maybe it’s something weird like that. However, Sonos’ integration is miles better. Plus, sounds you haven’t been doing anything different - it just stopped working properly.

Are you using Bluesound? Been trying to establish how a pair of BS Flex 2i sound when paired with the new BS Sub+ compared to a pair of Sonos Play 1s and the Sonos Sub.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are you using Bluesound? Been trying to establish how a pair of BS Flex 2i sound when paired with the new BS Sub+ compared to a pair of Sonos Play 1s and the Sonos Sub.
It’s built in to my NAD integrated amp with a pair of bookshelves, so I can’t compare to my Play1 or 5s.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes, that is an interesting article, thanks for sharing. I suspected SonosNet night still be active, so when I tried the Ethernet connection, I powered of both the Boost and my second Connect in the bedroom, assuming that this would turn off SonosNet.

I have not received any additional comments from Sonos support following the Ethernet connection test, and whether they were still seeing any type of interference. I am about to start an evaluation of Roon, for which I will also be conducting a 30-day trial of Tidal, since Deezer is not supported by Roon. Other than the issues I have been having with Deezer, I have been a happy Sonos user. But the Deezer issues, combined with the relegation of the Connect to S1 status has heightened my interest in alternatives. And Roon users are pretty vocal in their praise of the product.
Hi Jerry, did you hear back from Sonos?
Hope they work towards resolving the problem.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,399 Posts
Hi Jerry, did you hear back from Sonos?
Hope they work towards resolving the problem.
Not yet. I pinged them again earlier today.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know Sonos got a lot of flack - deservedly - for the legacy product and app fragmentation situation, but while reading this article on Google services it reminders me how Sonos has always tried to do right by supporting as many services as possible.

I’m not in a Google media user, but this sounds like a really pain.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Strangely Google music is still working for me. I moved my library over to Youtube music, but unless I pay, it won't stream on Sonos. You'd think that Sonos would be able to do a better job of playing my own music. I used Google for the excellent "I'm feeling lucky mix". With Google, I don't pick a genre or band, it just starts playing.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,399 Posts
Update on my Deezer streaming issue: I called Sonos support directly and was connected to a young lady named Nicole, who was very knowledgeable and helpful. She connected to my computer, and we browsed my router settings and a few other things, ran a fresh diagnostic, but we were unable to shed any light on why I am experiencing the lost connections while streaming Deezer. She offered to escalate to Deezer for me, but I recommended that I try a one-month evaluation of Tidal first. Since Tidal is also lossless FLAC, if my own infrastructure is the root cause of the issue, it should manifest itself while streaming Tidal as well. If Tidal works flawlessly, the we can escalate the issue to Deezer and, if that doesn't identify and resolve the issue, I will cancel Deezer and switch to Tidal.

Unfortunately, switching music services introduces a lot of work. All of the saved entries in "My Sonos" refer to Deezer music, so they will be rendered invalid and will have to be re-created. Too bad there isn't a utility program that could scan My Sonos and switch music services references automatically.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Update on my Deezer streaming issue: I called Sonos support directly and was connected to a young lady named Nicole, who was very knowledgeable and helpful. She connected to my computer, and we browsed my router settings and a few other things, ran a fresh diagnostic, but we were unable to shed any light on why I am experiencing the lost connections while streaming Deezer. She offered to escalate to Deezer for me, but I recommended that I try a one-month evaluation of Tidal first. Since Tidal is also lossless FLAC, if my own infrastructure is the root cause of the issue, it should manifest itself while streaming Tidal as well. If Tidal works flawlessly, the we can escalate the issue to Deezer and, if that doesn't identify and resolve the issue, I will cancel Deezer and switch to Tidal.

Unfortunately, switching music services introduces a lot of work. All of the saved entries in "My Sonos" refer to Deezer music, so they will be rendered invalid and will have to be re-created. Too bad there isn't a utility program that could scan My Sonos and switch music services references automatically.
Hi Jerry, I'm glad you finally received meaningful help from Sonos.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,399 Posts
Hi Jerry, I'm glad you finally received meaningful help from Sonos.
Thanks, Sam. I have started the Tidal evaluation, and have been listening to the Tidal stream all morning. Through several albums, no signal loss so far. Fingers crossed!

2121 - 2136 of 2136 Posts