AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2279 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
It also has improved wireless tech, which should help, too. Glad to hear (pun) it is working for you!
I told ya.

Glad it's working out for you.
Thanks, guys. It was a process of elimination, and replacing the Connect was the last step. While I am sure that Roon would have been a fine choice as well, I prefer the simplicity of the Sonos interface.

·
Registered
965 Posts
One of the things that's keeping me in the Sonos ecosystem is alarms and sleep timers since the most hours I spend using it is probably in my bedroom. It's weird that other systems ignore or struggle with these features. I love my $400 alarm clock!

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
Well, it has been over a week since I replaced the Connect with the Port. For those who may not have read my previous posts, I had been having frequent issues while streaming music from Deezer using the Connect in which I was receiving "Cannot play song--the connection to Deezer was lost". I could not play ten songs in a row without having a dropped connection.

I am very happy to report that in the last week, during which time I have listened to a lot of music from Deezer, I have not had a single lost connection! The problem has been resolved. I just wanted to share this in case others have run into the same problem. Very happy now!

Edit: Into the New Year, and still not a single dropped connection using the Port. What a relief!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Is the Sonos Arc or Beam decent for music? Or other brands of SB’s (Bose, Def Tech etc).
I know that’s subjective but wondering if I could ever replace my 2ch setup (non Sonos speakers with separate amp/preamp, and the older Connect) with a Soundbar and be satisfied. The 2ch setup coexists with the TV and a Yamaha (YS107) soundbar currently, so was thinking a potentially higher quality soundbar could take care of all duties, TV/HT and music.
As it stands now, I would never use this particular Yammy SB for music listening, doesn’t cut it.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
They are "fine" for music, but I would same the same about the Yamaha.

If you don't like the Yamaha for music, I'm not sure the Sonos units would feel satisfactory.

I think you are headed in the wrong direction! I would expand your speaker use, if I were you.

Don't get me wrong. I have a pile of Sonos gear. But unless you are very hard pressed for space or spousal acceptable factors, moving from a two channel setup to the sound bar for music listening is probably not going to be satisfying.

That said, several vendors have a good return policy for Sonos products, so you can decide for yourself what you think, and send it back if I am right, or keep it, if I am wrong.

--

Of course, if what you are doing is just looking for the best sound bar for music (and it could be any brand) I think there are better choices.

The Paradigm PW Soundbar has been discontinued, and was a bit pricey at $1300. But it goes for half that as back stock or lightly used. It is a three channel system with the fabulous Anthem Room Correction (think, Audyssey XT32 but better) built in.

That is what I would seek out if I wanted a sound bar for high quality music reproduction and didn't need to integrate it with an existing SONOS system.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the Arc and I think it’s “OK” for music. I have it paired with a Sub and it can strain a bit at medium high levels. It’s what I would expect from small drivers and crossed over that high. Have never heard the Yamaha so I can’t comment.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why not do a Sonos Amp with your existing speakers? It has a HDMI ARC input. If they're good speakers they'll sound good for HT also.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Why not do a Sonos Amp with your existing speakers? It has a HDMI ARC input. If they're good speakers they'll sound good for HT also.
Thats a very good solution, if the OP is trying to have this as part of a larger Sonos ecosystem.

But I get the impression he doesn't have any other SONOS products is just looking for a sound bar that works great for music?

·
Registered
313 Posts
That’s actually not a bad idea, I currently have Sonus Faber Venere 1.5’s on their speaker stands, beautiful and sound is great, but the wife is keen on me doing away with the stands and moving the speakers to the entertainment unit furniture. The unit is 5’ wide, so just wide enough to maintain good stereo separation. Of course then I’d be going to a ‘phantom’ center channel for TV/Movies, prob not a big deal though. Does the Sonos amp have a sub out?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
That’s actually not a bad idea, I currently have Sonus Faber Venere 1.5’s on their speaker stands, beautiful and sound is great, but the wife is keen on me doing away with the stands and moving the speakers to the entertainment unit furniture. The unit is 5’ wide, so just wide enough to maintain good stereo separation. Of course then I’d be going to a ‘phantom’ center channel for TV/Movies, prob not a big deal though. Does the Sonos amp have a sub out?
That is a shame. The speakers will likely not sound as good if they are removed from their stands. It is a shame that WAF gets in the way of good audio. And a phantom center channel will not sound as good as a dedicated speaker, IMO.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone in the thread used the amp in an HT scenario that can comment on the lack of center channel? And not in a bedroom config, but a decent size living room. How bad is it or is it unnoticeable?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
Has anyone in the thread used the amp in an HT scenario that can comment on the lack of center channel? And not in a bedroom config, but a decent size living room. How bad is it or is it unnoticeable?
This is not amplifier specific. Anyone who has a home theater audio setup with a center channel can try watching a movie or TV content with center channel dialog while the audio is set to stereo. This will demonstrate what it sounds like with a phantom center channel. IMO, I don't like it, and would never configure a setup without a center channel speaker as my primary system. You may find it acceptable.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is not amplifier specific. Anyone who has a home theater audio setup with a center channel can try watching a movie or TV content with center channel dialog while the audio is set to stereo. This will demonstrate what it sounds like with a phantom center channel. IMO, I don't like it, and would never configure a setup without a center channel speaker as my primary system. You may find it acceptable.
Well, in sorts I guess that’s true. But in stereo there’s no “phantom” center channel being produced. In receivers and the Sonos Amp that do create that phantom, I don’t think it’s just straight stereo is it? They must do something DSP wise to try and mimic the center channel. Either way, if you don’t like it, it is what it is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My gripe is that they as a company think too much of themselves. They don’t want to play nice with integration. They would sell a lot more product if they didn’t think so much of themselves that they lock out control and interface. I hate them now. I stopped selling them and I just tore out my two connects. If they ever find the humility to understand they are part of an ecosystem and not just a selfish end point, I’d gladly revisit them. I threw them in a box with nest T-Stats where they belong.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My gripe is that they as a company think too much of themselves. They don’t want to play nice with integration. They would sell a lot more product if they didn’t think so much of themselves that they lock out control and interface. I hate them now. I stopped selling them and I just tore out my two connects. If they ever find the humility to understand they are part of an ecosystem and not just a selfish end point, I’d gladly revisit them. I threw them in a box with nest T-Stats where they belong.
What are you selling in their place now?

·
Registered
432 Posts
What are you selling in their place now?
Control4 has its own licensing and depending on the processor you have multiple streams. 3 to 5 is plenty so far for any customer I’ve had. For smaller applications I’ll use MusicCAST. I’m actually on the war path and plan to go retro through our clientele base and upgrade everyone and remove Sonos. I don’t sell their sound bar anymore either. My go to is Episode, Triad and Monitor Audio Soundbars.
The price of the least expensive Contol4 processor is on par with a good Universal remote, so it’s easy to get even a single stream Control4 processor in every application.

if a client needs more than 3 zones of audio it’s actually cheaper to use Control4 then Sonos plus you gain so so much more control for many subsystems.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
Well, in sorts I guess that’s true. But in stereo there’s no “phantom” center channel being produced. In receivers and the Sonos Amp that do create that phantom, I don’t think it’s just straight stereo is it? They must do something DSP wise to try and mimic the center channel. Either way, if you don’t like it, it is what it is.
By definition, the center channel signal is the sum of signals that are the same in the left and right channel. When you listen in Stereo, an identical signal in both the left and the right channels will sound like it's coming from exactly between the two, in other words a "phantom" center channel. Dialog is a good example of this. What other processing do you think might be going on?

·
Registered
432 Posts
By definition, the center channel signal is the sum of signals that are the same in the left and right channel. When you listen in Stereo, an identical signal in both the left and the right channels will sound like it's coming from exactly between the two, in other words a "phantom" center channel. Dialog is a good example of this. What other processing do you think might be going on?
If an engineer mixes a source to have a center it is NOT stereo imaging. If you flat don’t have a center it then resorts to a stereo mix provided. Many manufacturers who provide a phantom center setting simply eq the stereo mix to overly pronounce the the frequencies of voices trying to enhance vocals... it is nothing even close to a real mixed center channel.

2221 - 2240 of 2279 Posts