AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2279 of 2279 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
"Works with Sonos" honestly kind of sucks. It turns the receiver on and switches to the right input for the connect but the volume is locked at a set range and can only be controlled in the app, the play/pause buttons on the remote don't work, etc. It's a half-assed solution and I usually do Airplay instead.

If you can even find a 8270 or DTM-7 you should have the TV connected via HDMI, not optical.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the same badging on my Sony ES receiver- Works With Sonos. After setting it up under Music Connect, I think that was the name, it scanned the network for the player and you selected the one you wanted. I don’t think an optical cable from a TV would work since the Integra wouldn’t find a networked music player. Either way, the Sonos thing was, as qirex mentioned, half assed. It was a long delay in getting the source to play and then it would lock up the receiver on occasion. Sounded like a great idea but bad application.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks guys for info on that, really is bizarre and made it more complicated. I mean, I’ve got my Connect hooked up via digital coax to my Emotiva pre, essentially it works like any other source component would.
My only interest in the Onkyo, Integra etc is the idea of the auto sensing input, thinking that if it triggered the amps to turn on then it ‘could’ operate like one of the other Sonos speakers in the house.
Is there a way to turn off or not go through that setup for the ‘works with Sonos’? So just use the Connect to turn on the amp only.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Onkyo/Integra don't have auto sensing inputs, I've only seen that on Marantz like the PM7000N. "Works with Sonos" is all done using network control, not input monitoring. They do have apps you can use to control power, inputs, volume, etc.

That said I'm getting confused of what you're trying to accomplish, if you want your TV to turn on the receiver use HDMI CEC.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well that explains it, when i was reading their marketing jargon i took it to mean the unit turned on via signal at the optical port, like a trigger.

I don't blame you for being confused lol, sorry, at this point i'm not sure i'm trying to accomplish much more or make any drastic changes (although i like change). I fully understand HDMI CEC, I'm just rethinking what it is I WANT to accomplish. At this time I'm not convinced that i want my 'stereo components' and speakers to be on full time for every news program, tv show, etc., this is where the sound bar has been best, for basic everyday TV. What i DID do recently that I should've before, was plug the optical cable i had out from my TV to the Emotiva preamp (the HDMI arc is being used for the sound bar), this allows me to use the stereo equip/speakers/sub when i want to for movies, youtube concerts etc., i just need to mute the sound bar as the signal is being sent to both components.

Ultimately I would like to have the stereo be ready to play and turn on like a sonos speaker would, yes i know the sonos amp is one solution, but that would replace both SB and stereo equip, which i'm leaning towards not doing. Now i know you are not a fan of the Sonos Port, however it might be the solution i'm looking for since it has the 12v trigger out, which the older Connect does not. I may just scoop a used one off the 'bay. The only thing i would have to play around with would be the volume control, i've always used the Connect in fixed not variable volume.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm not a fan or the Port because it costs too much, not because I think it's a bad product. It works just fine and if it works for you it's pretty much the only option for staying inside the Sonos system. I'm not sure if piping TV audio through it would work if that's what your're planning to do since it will probably add a noticeable amount of delay to the audio.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Right, i'm with you on the price, that's why i'm looking for used possibly.... and I would not use the TV audio through it, no need for that, music only.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
I have been running a mixed setup consisting of a Port as my primary streamer and a Connect in the bedroom. Since the Connect is not an S2 device, my setup defaults to S1. I want to remove the Connect and upgrade to S2, but I am concerned that I will lose all the saved stuff on the Port in "My Sonos" (songs, albums, playlists, etc.). Can someone confirm that this information will not be lost as part of the upgrade?

On a side note, I wish Sonos provided a way to back up this information somewhere.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
I signed up for a 30-day trial of Qobuz because of the recent announcement that Qobuz is supporting 24-bit music streams on Sonos. I can't figure out whether I am actually getting a 24-bit stream or not. I am playing the "Sonos 24-bit Hi-Res on Qobuz" playlist. I am streaming from a Sonos Port in S1 mode to a Monolith HTP-1. The Monolith is showing a 96KBs stream, but shows no information on bit depth. Anyone know how I can verify the 24-bit stream?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been running a mixed setup consisting of a Port as my primary streamer and a Connect in the bedroom. Since the Connect is not an S2 device, my setup defaults to S1. I want to remove the Connect and upgrade to S2, but I am concerned that I will lose all the saved stuff on the Port in "My Sonos" (songs, albums, playlists, etc.). Can someone confirm that this information will not be lost as part of the upgrade?

On a side note, I wish Sonos provided a way to back up this information somewhere.
I believe those settings carry over from S1 to S2. You could confirm with Sonos support.

I signed up for a 30-day trial of Qobuz because of the recent announcement that Qobuz is supporting 24-bit music streams on Sonos. I can't figure out whether I am actually getting a 24-bit stream or not. I am playing the "Sonos 24-bit Hi-Res on Qobuz" playlist. I am streaming from a Sonos Port in S1 mode to a Monolith HTP-1. The Monolith is showing a 96KBs stream, but shows no information on bit depth. Anyone know how I can verify the 24-bit stream?
You need to be on S2 to get anything over 16/44.1.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
You need to be on S2 to get anything over 16/44.1.
OK, but assume for a moment that I have converted to S2 and select one of the Qobuz playlists that are identified as 24-bit. Where in the S2 app can I see the music stream status to verify that it is indeed 24-bit?

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, but assume for a moment that I have converted to S2 and select one of the Qobuz playlists that are identified as 24-bit. Where in the S2 app can I see the music stream status to verify that it is indeed 24-bit?
Good question. I don't think there is anywhere in the Sonos app that shows that information. Sonos support could probably tell you for sure

·
Registered
965 Posts
Since it's now accepted audiophile "fact" that high res clearly sounds better (despite a full decade of research to the contrary), shouldn't it be obvious? Sorry to be a bit snarky but people have been yelling at Sonos for half a decade about this and if it's really that important the difference should be readily apparent.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
Since it's now accepted audiophile "fact" that high res clearly sounds better (despite a full decade of research to the contrary), shouldn't it be obvious? Sorry to be a bit snarky but people have been yelling at Sonos for half a decade about this and if it's really that important the difference should be readily apparent.
I am one of those who is skeptical that there is any audible difference with hi-res. I suppose that any differences would depend on the quality of the setup that is delivering the audio signal. I am unlikely to purchase an expensive DAC and ensure an analog-only audio path just to see if I hear a marginal improvement. But I would at least like an indicator that I am actually receiving the 24-bit stream.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LGCX77 and Arc - connection issues

Hi All, my set up is as follows:

PC connected to TV (LG CX 77”) via HDMI and TV connected to Arc (eArc port via my own HDMI cable as the supplied cable did not work). The Sonos Ones are set up as surrounds. The issues are:

• when I switch between the phone App and the TV / PC controls - there is no sound. it seems there is a handshake issue and I have to switch the TV off and on for it to work.
  • sometimes, when I turn on the TV, I get a weird noise from the Arc and have to switch TV off and on for it to work.
  • the surrounds do not work even when ‘Audio In’ for the Arc within ‘About my system’ says ‘Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1’. am not sure why.
Please help / advise.

thanks a lot !

·
Registered
184 Posts
LGCX77 and Arc - connection issues

Hi All, my set up is as follows:

PC connected to TV (LG CX 77”) via HDMI and TV connected to Arc (eArc port via my own HDMI cable as the supplied cable did not work). The Sonos Ones are set up as surrounds. The issues are:

• when I switch between the phone App and the TV / PC controls - there is no sound. it seems there is a handshake issue and I have to switch the TV off and on for it to work.
  • sometimes, when I turn on the TV, I get a weird noise from the Arc and have to switch TV off and on for it to work.
  • the surrounds do not work even when ‘Audio In’ for the Arc within ‘About my system’ says ‘Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1’. am not sure why.
Please help / advise.

thanks a lot !
Check out the Sonos page on Reddit. There are a lot of people in there that have issues with the CX TV and the Arc. I haven't been following them since I don't have that TV, but hopefully you can find some answers there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Folks,

In the fall i will be building a new home. Main floor will have 25ft high ceiling open concept with a loft.
The open concept living/dining is 21'x16' with 25' peak ceiling with a loft in the rear over the master bedroom and bathroom.

I want to reuse the current stereo components - Yamaha R N303 stereo receiver,
Pioneer PL-200 turntable,Sony Blu Ray and 2 PSB MK II speakers inside and 2 Mordaunt Short AX151 outdoor speakers.
I'll likely replace my WD TV Live with NVIDIA Shield.

I plan to add some Sonos gear from my old place- 2 Play 5's, and a Sonos Move.
I'm leaving behind a Sonos Connect and will likely use the Sonos Port to tie things together.

I have a few questions. Because of the open concept I'm wondering at what height the 5's should be to be effective.
I was thinking on placing the play 5's on opposite walls away from the PSB speakers. How high ? Should i just have the carpenter build a wood shelf, use a stand or look for a mount for them?

A similar question for the Move. I plan to place it in the kitchen near the deck patio door. I'll likely mount it and its charger on the wall, as counter space will be scarce. How high should it be? as well I'm looking at the Sonos wall hook to hang it up in my screened in porch - how high should it be mounted outside ?

If you are wondering, the screen porch is on the side, and the main deck will house the Morduant Short wired speakers.
I'm banking a lot of the "Port" pulling this all together.

I'm wide open to any comments on speaker placement as well as to the Port.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Hi Folks,

In the fall i will be building a new home. Main floor will have 25ft high ceiling open concept with a loft.
The open concept living/dining is 21'x16' with 25' peak ceiling with a loft in the rear over the master bedroom and bathroom.

I want to reuse the current stereo components - Yamaha R N303 stereo receiver,
Pioneer PL-200 turntable,Sony Blu Ray and 2 PSB MK II speakers inside and 2 Mordaunt Short AX151 outdoor speakers.
I'll likely replace my WD TV Live with NVIDIA Shield.

I plan to add some Sonos gear from my old place- 2 Play 5's, and a Sonos Move.
I'm leaving behind a Sonos Connect and will likely use the Sonos Port to tie things together.

I have a few questions. Because of the open concept I'm wondering at what height the 5's should be to be effective.
I was thinking on placing the play 5's on opposite walls away from the PSB speakers. How high ? Should i just have the carpenter build a wood shelf, use a stand or look for a mount for them?

A similar question for the Move. I plan to place it in the kitchen near the deck patio door. I'll likely mount it and its charger on the wall, as counter space will be scarce. How high should it be? as well I'm looking at the Sonos wall hook to hang it up in my screened in porch - how high should it be mounted outside ?

If you are wondering, the screen porch is on the side, and the main deck will house the Morduant Short wired speakers.
I'm banking a lot of the "Port" pulling this all together.

I'm wide open to any comments on speaker placement as well as to the Port.
I see a lot of Sonos 5 at breweries and they are generally placed very high, above 10'. They are quite bassy. I like to put my Sonos speakers high and think they sound better up there. I have 8' ceilings, so they are 6.5 or so depending on what they are sitting on, I don't have wall mounts. I have a beam below a tv, sub below it and 2 Play 3 for surround. It sounds pretty good for music and works well as a 5.1 system.

I have a move and connect in the same room, the connect is on my 5.4.4 system. I almost never use it, opting for the Move since the Sonos system is out of time with my Denon. I have to run it direct or there is too much delay from Audyssey, so none of my 4 subs are active. My move is on a 5' shelf. I don't think height matters as much outside since there aren't many walls to reflect off. I'm a little disappointed in the move outside. From what I've heard, it's essentially a 5.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I see a lot of Sonos 5 at breweries and they are generally placed very high, above 10'. They are quite bassy. I like to put my Sonos speakers high and think they sound better up there. I have 8' ceilings, so they are 6.5 or so depending on what they are sitting on, I don't have wall mounts. I have a beam below a tv, sub below it and 2 Play 3 for surround. It sounds pretty good for music and works well as a 5.1 system.

I have a move and connect in the same room, the connect is on my 5.4.4 system. I almost never use it, opting for the Move since the Sonos system is out of time with my Denon. I have to run it direct or there is too much delay from Audyssey, so none of my 4 subs are active. My move is on a 5' shelf. I don't think height matters as much outside since there aren't many walls to reflect off. I'm a little disappointed in the move outside. From what I've heard, it's essentially a 5.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to price 2 mounts for my 5's and will likely put them at 8-10 feet. I'm asking ahead as I want to make sure i have power and Ethernet hook up in the walls during the build.

2261 - 2279 of 2279 Posts