AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2204 Posts

·
Registered
12,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 /forum/post/14882219

is that only for purchasing from the sonos store?

I think it's only a Sonos direct purchase promotion. However in the past when Best Buy carried Sonos they often matched or beat Sonos' promotions. I'm guessing others would too. Can't hurt to give them a try.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just g.ot my 150 bundle for bedroom and living room + controller. I have to say it one of the most fun things I have purchased in a long time. Set up took about 15 minutes and was playing my own music as well as browsing/playing napster. It was exactly as advertised (which seems to be more and more rare these days). For those looking for plug and play, works great.

Darin

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a question:

I don't own a Sonos system but have been planning on it. One option that dawned on me is that instead of buying the Sonos controller I could buy a small laptop at a cheaper price nowawadays and run the free controller software. I would get the extra benefit of having a laptop to surf the web on the couch if I wanted to. In either case I would stream the music from a NAS to the zoneplayer. What do you guys see as the pros and cons, besides the portability factor (Sonos controller most likely being smaller than the laptop)? I'm interested in hearing which would actually be easier to use/navigate/select songs with and anything you would be gain or miss out on by choosing one controller vs. the other.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVImpulse /forum/post/14936093

What do you guys see as the pros and cons, besides the portability factor (Sonos controller most likely being smaller than the laptop)?

I end up using the pc software the most, but ....

The remote is useful. It's easier for when you don't want to fire up the laptop, other people are over or other family members will find it better.

I'd get it, at some point.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
why wouldnt you just buy the bundle? buying the powered and no powered units is slightly less than just buying the bundle. i use the pc on one floor and a controller on the other floors. when i buy another bundle ill have an extra controller. and if zones starts to work exactly like the controller ill have 3 more. ( two iphones and an itouch in the house)

the laptop would definitely be easier to navigate as the biggest problem with the controller is scrolling to type. if they put pressure senitive buttons below the scroll wheel in a dpad configuration like the ipods have then it would be much easier

also ive been using the system as ambient music when i sleep and as an alarm in the morning. without the controller id have to get up and go to the pc to turn the alam off or the unit and ute t

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am trying to output my reciever (Pioneer Elite VSX-84 TXSi) into the analog input on my ZP-90, by way of the analog output from the reciever.

The Sonos system picks up the Tuner and XM throughout the network, but will not transmit my connected sources like PS3, Comcast DVR box and Pioneer DVD/ACD/VDA player (they are input to the reciever by HDMI or iLink).

Any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman /forum/post/14941111

The Sonos system picks up the Tuner and XM throughout the network, but will not transmit my connected sources like PS3, Comcast DVR box and Pioneer DVD/ACD/VDA player (they are input to the reciever by HDMI or iLink).

I'm assuming you are using zone2 output from the receiver. If so run analog audio cables from each device you want to output from zone2. Very few receivers will take a digital input and send it out as zone2, most require analog inputs for that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Great new thread. I have a question, is anyone using the Cullen modified ZP90? I'm looking at using this as my transporter for all 2-channel music through a PSA digital Link III Cullen level 4 modified.

Thanks for the info

Mark

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Great to see a Sonos thread! I am surprised one did not previously exist. It is an excellent product with a great interface. In my next house I will be using them for whole house integration.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bump. As somebody else posted in a seperate thread Sonos release an iPhone/iPod Touch controller application for free.

Does anybody have experience running Sonos with a Drobo - routed through USB or using the netshare add-on?

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 /forum/post/14956115

Bump. As somebody else posted in a seperate thread Sonos release an iPhone/iPod Touch controller application for free.

Does anybody have experience running Sonos with a Drobo - routed through USB or using the netshare add-on?

You can either connect the Drobo by USB to a PC/Mac and share it from there or use the netshare add-on device. Both options will work just fine with Sonos.

Sonos simply requires a standard SMB/CIFS share which the Drobe netshare will provide.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What happens if you have the Droboshare and install the Firefly application to enable iTunes server? Would that conflict and by not allow you to access the Drobo from Sonos?

Perhaps I'm confusing the matter. Ideally what I'd like is a NAS music library that can be accessed by computers and by a Sonos system. I know there is some redundancy in that, but I don't want to keep media on a local machine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
in addition to the official sonos control for the iphone and ipod touch, pandora is now a free service (was about 35 a year before) and last.fm is included in the service.

i gotta tell you this is like christmas in october. this just took this thing to a whole new level. plus its even mora affordable for the masses since youre not forced to buy a 300 dollar controller if you already have an iphone or an iouch

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 /forum/post/14956752

What happens if you have the Droboshare and install the Firefly application to enable iTunes server? Would that conflict and by not allow you to access the Drobo from Sonos?

Perhaps I'm confusing the matter. Ideally what I'd like is a NAS music library that can be accessed by computers and by a Sonos system. I know there is some redundancy in that, but I don't want to keep media on a local machine.

All you really need is any old NAS which will handle a CIFS/SMB fileshare. You can store an iTunes music library on that and it's how I use Sonos and my iPods.

If you specifically need an iTunes server, then buy a NAS with those functions...it won't conflict with Sonos.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I really don't know which I would need. What's the difference? Are you from an iTunes perspective, what is the benefit of an iTunes Server versus simply putting your files on the Drobo under this CIFS/SMB fileshare scheme?

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 /forum/post/14960909

I really don't know which I would need. What's the difference? Are you from an iTunes perspective, what is the benefit of an iTunes Server versus simply putting your files on the Drobo under this CIFS/SMB fileshare scheme?

An iTunes server is used by products like Apple TV and Apple Airport express to play music whilst your PC is off. An iTunes server offers no real advantage whatsoever unless you wish to use one of those specific Apple branded products for which it is required.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So would there be a conflict running an iTunes Server service while utilizing CIFS/SMB? For example, could I have an Apple product accessing files concurrently with a series of Sonos devices running? Again, redundant, but I'm just trying to learn how all this works.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 /forum/post/14963081

So would there be a conflict running an iTunes Server service while utilizing CIFS/SMB? For example, could I have an Apple product accessing files concurrently with a series of Sonos devices running? Again, redundant, but I'm just trying to learn how all this works.

Read post #34 again.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 /forum/post/14959753

in addition to the official sonos control for the iphone and ipod touch, pandora is now a free service (was about 35 a year before) and last.fm is included in the service.

i gotta tell you this is like christmas in october. this just took this thing to a whole new level. plus its even mora affordable for the masses since youre not forced to buy a 300 dollar controller if you already have an iphone or an iouch

Don't forget the new internet radio database that increases the listed radio stations from around 50 to 15000, with a new search feature, including a listing by Zip Code. No more typing in link information that seems to expire on a daily basis!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 /forum/post/14963081

Sonos is extremely unintrusive. Essentially it is a read-only device. As long as it can see and read the drive, Sonos will operate just fine. It needs no server software running because each ZonePlayer holds an internal index of your music library, mapping exactly where each file is on the drive. So all it has to do to play a selection is go to the disk and do a read. It really doesn't matter if anything else is running, because Sonos never requires write access to the files.

21 - 40 of 2204 Posts