AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3400 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I have the honors of starting this thread. My technical knowledge and lingo is hardly as polished as the rest of you. But it doesn't take a 'techie' to see that this set is the real deal.

My xbr2 showed up yesterday morning (Best Buy) and have spent some time confirming information for everyone.

Everything you've been hearing about the Black-levels are 100% true. This LCD has the best black levels currently available. Nothing else out there holds a candle to the deep blacks this LCD can produce. This set is a monster!

Response times are among the best as well. They say 8 ms, but I think its more like 5-6ms. I couldn't spot it. There are only a few areas any kind of blurring was evident, and it was under the strictest most taxing tests. Sports are going to be a dream on this LCD.

I'm sure more and more of you guys will start recieving your sets monday, and can answer some of the real specific questions about 1:1 pixels and such... but this tv preforms where most LCD's fail. Response Time and Black levels.

like no other.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah, show us some pictures if you can. I'd love to see what the US version looks like.

Scott, if you want even better black levels, expirement with the Power Saving function. Not only does it reduce the power consumption but it also dims the backlight a little nad gives you a more realistic picture (I've found).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can all owners start chiming in on what their settings are for each input (Cable/sat/OTA, DVD, gaming, etc.)? We're very pleased with our set so far, but still interested in seeing what everyone is using regarding settings.

Edit - also, please post your viewing distance.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
How are you existing owners liking your TV after the initial wow factor? Still awesome? Not as cool after the initial sensation has worn off? How long have you been watching it?

Scott, you've been the oldest owner that we know of, still as awesome as it was when you first got it? Or are there things you are starting to dislike? Performance as good, better, or worse from when you first started to judge the TV.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is anyone else not too impressed with DRC 2.5? I have actually turned it off on all inputs. I notice "haloing" when it is on, especially watching DVD's. What is everyone else's take? Another question, is what do you think of SD? I'm somewhat disappointed, but then have to remember that blowing up a crappy image just gives you a bigger crappy image.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We've had our 46XBR2 for a full week now (Monday at noon). First impression, was that SD wasn't too bad, definitely watchable. My wife thought it was just fine but after a half hour aske why we always saw the bars on the sides. I said, "Here's why. . ." and switched to an HD channel. Oh yeah!

The first disappointment was Friday watching football on CBS local. There was serious macroblocking (compression artifacts) on fast moion and pans. My modest knowledge make me suspect a deficient signal is the culprit. The game on NBC todayshowed less severe symptoms. (I'm investigating whether satellite would be better.)

I have tinkered with DRC. I think it has improved my 480i cable signal. I've set both Reality and Clarity (?) to values about 20% higher than default. DRC did not seem to affect the HD inputs enough to warrent a change. (You can set these DRC parameters independently for each input resolution- a pleasant surprise, I don't believe stated in the manual).

I'm not sure if DRC helps DVD input. With an older DVD (Blade Runner), turning off DRC seemed to look better. However, recent DVD's have looked better so I'll persue the usefulness of DRC with DVD more later.

My first generation G4 Mac laptop (400 MHz) connected immediately. (Unfortunately the graphics machinery was only able to crank out thousands of colors.)

We're still both enthusiastic about our XBR (waiting for the dust to settle on hi-def DVD). Sure I wish SD were better but I don't think another TV is going to do such a better job that I rue buying the Sony. (I think the current problem with SD is that it's just not HD.)

Byrne

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im not a new owner yet, I will be in about a week.

With regards to some people not liking their picture, have you considered paying someone to have it calibrated? After spending $4K on a tv, a few hundred extra to get the picture perfect may not be a bad investment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine a couple days ago and I am really impressed. I also am somewhat concerned about possible artifacting during sporting events (and text scrolling at the bottom of the screen). After hooking my computer up and running it at 1920x1080 I was absolutely floored. The picture was unreal, and I couldnt be more pleased. All in all know I made the right decision with this TV

·
Registered
56 Posts
There seems to ba a lot of debate about which method of connecting an Xbox 360 to an HD set (VGA or Component) is better... My 46" XBR2 is being delivered tomorrow and I was wondering if any current XBR2 owners could advise me either on which is best or let me know which connection you're using and comments on the quality. Thanks.

·
Banned
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzee /forum/post/0

There seems to ba a lot of debate about which method of connecting an Xbox 360 to an HD set (VGA or Component) is better... My 46" XBR2 is being delivered tomorrow and I was wondering if any current XBR2 owners could advise me either on which is best or let me know which connection you're using and comments on the quality. Thanks.

I don't think it really matters. Both are Analog connections, right?

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DIRK /forum/post/0

Im not a new owner yet, I will be in about a week.

With regards to some people not liking their picture, have you considered paying someone to have it calibrated? After spending $4K on a tv, a few hundred extra to get the picture perfect may not be a bad investment.

I am having mine calibrated the last week in September. The person who does it rotates his services every month between the New England states and I have some home remodeling going on the last week of August, so September it is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong /forum/post/0

How are you existing owners liking your TV after the initial wow factor? Still awesome? Not as cool after the initial sensation has worn off? How long have you been watching it?

Scott, you've been the oldest owner that we know of, still as awesome as it was when you first got it? Or are there things you are starting to dislike? Performance as good, better, or worse from when you first started to judge the TV.

I've now spent a week with my set. Still just as impressed with the PQ as I was initially.

But there are a few weak spots I've come to accept (some minor- to midsize complaints):

The cons:

1). SD when hooked up through a cable looks decsent at best. Digital cable looks much better, but just jacking in the old analog cable didn't look so hot. On a clean broadcast, things look great, but there was some artifacting on some dirty

2). Freeze button on the set doesn't freeze the whole screen. It pauses a frame, and scales it down to half screen size, splitting the screen to keep the live feed running. Its no good for capturing photo's, or using your tv as a painting at a party.

3). Set puts out some warm air. Not hot air, just some warm air. It can affect the tempature in a small room.

The Pros:

1). Everything else

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 /forum/post/0

Is anyone else not too impressed with DRC 2.5? I have actually turned it off on all inputs. I notice "haloing" when it is on, especially watching DVD's. What is everyone else's take? Another question, is what do you think of SD? I'm somewhat disappointed, but then have to remember that blowing up a crappy image just gives you a bigger crappy image.

I don't care for the DRC either.

I turned it off on everything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientificmapp /forum/post/0

I'm not happy either. I'd like to get a run down of everyones settings. I'm having trouble getting a good picture.

I am having trouble seeing anyone flatout unhappy with this set. A good picture for what: SD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-dvd, 360 ???

This is my personal favorite LCD in existance and the only set that comes close for me is the high-end Samsung. I just don't see what more you might be looking for in an LCD.

Standard Definition is about the only thing anyone could argue about, but hardly defines this set.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzee /forum/post/0

Both preform! I felt that the VGA washed out the colors a little bit, but the trade-off was some extra sharpness the VGA provided. Its hard to say which is superior, its that close... you'll just have to take a look for yourself on those.

JUST DON'T FORGET:

**Gamemode = on**

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I promise to remember Game mode-- If it's that close, I'll just go with the Component cable that I bought before I realized there was a VGA one available-- as long as it doesn't have any influence on Scaling, etc.

holmzee

BTW disregard Previous PM

1 - 20 of 3400 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.