AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 3400 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog /forum/post/0

DRC is not used for 1080p inputs.

Well, when our 46" at work is running 1080P, the DRC mode is set to Mode 1 and is greyed out and unselectable. The DRC adjustment option is also unselectable. Nothing I do to any option anywhere in the menus changes this.

Therefore I have concluded that 1080P = forced DRC1. I would like to be wrong. Is it possible that something else is forcing DRC1? If I could turn that off I'd love to try it, to see if that gets rid of the oversharpening halo on text/etc.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobified /forum/post/0

DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI, whichever way you want to look at it

Some text shows up with white dots or white outlines.

To see this, check out some forums, like:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=180

The smaller text looks washed out by white dots/outlines, especially in threads where posts are quoted. I'll try to post a screenshot later when I get home. If you have an chance, could you post yuor screenshot of a thread with a quoted reply in it?

Also, some Windows dialog boxes show this. I know I'm not the only one with this issue since I have seen several posts about this. If you wouldn't mind sharing your DVI to HDMI settings, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

well see if this helps
the colors look a bit washed out. I only got my pc video games somewhat calibrated, and for DVD playback calibrated as well. desktop color levels are not calibrated. I really dont care much for desktop colors to match, since I only play games on it. looks like I cant seem to get it across very well

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotep /forum/post/0

Does anyone else get a line of white pixels on the top of their screen when using full pixel mode? It seems to only show up in full pixel mode though...

l get that same problem too...hummm, sometimes though. at the very very top of the screen you mean?? almost looks as if the picture is shifted down a bit??

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijitiro /forum/post/0

extremely noticable and aggrivating mouse lag on the xbr2 when hooked up pc dvi-hdmi with game mode off. game mode on is a must and fixes this. not sure what it does to processing but who needs it when displaying computer.

anyone else bugged by the extreme mouse lag? it made it as if i had my wireless mouse hooked up to my computer (the lag is terrible with wireless m/kb)

looks the same to me, with or without game mode. I just keep game mode "off" on all my inputs

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin-Man /forum/post/0

l get that same problem too...hummm, sometimes though. at the very very top of the screen you mean?? almost looks as if the picture is shifted down a bit??

Have you tried Windex?

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad Zookz /forum/post/0

I have heard this problem previously described as a colour-space issue. For some reason, several owners using DVI to HDMI have noticed the problem while many others have not. I have seen posts that suggest it can be fixed by making adjustments to either the PC or the TV but have never seen anyone post exactly what to do.

I am now running the PC on the XBR3's VGA input but plan to get a new PC early next year, which I may run on DVI to HDMI and would like to make sure the videocard will be able to deal with the issue.

Would owners that have the problem and those that do not, pleasse identify which video cards they are using?

ATI x1900xt

Catalayst v 6.3...fixing to update

desktop/game resolution 1080p (1920x1080)

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:

Have you tried Windex?

naa!! I just flipped the tv upside down, gave it a few taps to push the image down, then flipped it back up on its upright position, and presto!!! image is perfectly center, no more white pixels your talking about.....lmao...

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:

naa!! I just flipped the tv upside down, gave it a few taps to push the image down, then flipped it back up on its upright position, and presto!!! image is perfectly center, no more white pixels your talking about.....lmao...

Thanks, I just tried that myself and the PQ has really improved. The LCD panel is shattered on the floor but I am looking through the floating glass frame now and everything is bright and sunny

Actually I called ATI yesterday and they advised me to upgrade the Catalyst drivers to Version 8.291.0.0 which are the latest. When in doubt, upgrade the drivers, right?

With those new, improved drivers, I get a Signal Not Supported message on HDMI although VGA performance is not affected. They have a new control interface for the Radeon cards which I really don't like much as it is hard to find the right options. Some of the adjustments are gone from the regular Windows advanced setting tab but they don't seem to show up elsewhere.

I can always roll back the driver upgrade but would rather trouble shoot it if possible. It just won't be much fun rebooting and switching between VGA and DVI umpteen times until I stumble onto the right setting.

·
Banned
788 Posts

Quote:

Yeah.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, I just tried that myself and the PQ has really improved. The LCD panel is shattered on the floor but I am looking through the floating glass frame now and everything is bright and sunny

Actually I called ATI yesterday and they advised me to upgrade the Catalyst drivers to Version 8.291.0.0 which are the latest. When in doubt, upgrade the drivers, right?

With those new, improved drivers, I get a Signal Not Supported message on HDMI although VGA performance is not affected. They have a new control interface for the Radeon cards which I really don't like much as it is hard to find the right options. Some of the adjustments are gone from the regular Windows advanced setting tab but they don't seem to show up elsewhere.

I can always roll back the driver upgrade but would rather trouble shoot it if possible. It just won't be much fun rebooting and switching between VGA and DVI umpteen times until I stumble onto the right setting.

All you need to do is Boot into Windows in VGA mode by pressing F5 or F8 during the post screen. I can't remember which one it is. You should then see an option to let you boot into Windows in VGA mode. Once in there, you can change the resolution.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What are most people using or finding that works best when setting your DVR's/Dish Net/Oppo 970's to - 720p or 1080i - searching the forum so far it seem many are using 720p with DRC off - just taking a short poll to see what most are using... Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Recently got a Sony 46" XBR2 LCD and I'm getting an XBOX 360 soon. Was curious, what is yal's opinion on the quality of the connection via component v/s VGA?

I tried both with a friend *very* briefly, and I thought the VGA was slightly crisper, but like I said, it was a very brief comparison (I think I may have forgotten to go full pixel on the component also, which might have made a diff). However, the VGA port does not have a currently known discreet input code that I can program into my remote (would have to do some obscure macro). Also, the component cable comes with the XBOX package I'm looking at, whereas the VGA is an extra addon. Thoughts?

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.r.k.i.v.e.r /forum/post/0

Recently got a Sony 46" XBR2 LCD and I'm getting an XBOX 360 soon. Was curious, what is yal's opinion on the quality of the connection via component v/s VGA?

I tried both with a friend *very* briefly, and I thought the VGA was slightly crisper, but like I said, it was a very brief comparison (I think I may have forgotten to go full pixel on the component also, which might have made a diff). However, the VGA port does not have a currently known discreet input code that I can program into my remote (would have to do some obscure macro). Also, the component cable comes with the XBOX package I'm looking at, whereas the VGA is an extra addon. Thoughts?

Component is fine for right now but after the firmware upgrade in November and the add-on HD DVD player to follow, you will need the VGA output to get the full 1080p advantage.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobified /forum/post/0

All you need to do is Boot into Windows in VGA mode by pressing F5 or F8 during the post screen. I can't remember which one it is. You should then see an option to let you boot into Windows in VGA mode. Once in there, you can change the resolution.

I get Signal Not Supported all the way along. I even disabled pass word so it would go right into windows without getting stuck on a pre-windows screen.

Do you mean to say that I should try F5 0r F8 at boot-up to change the screen mode? For this to work, shouldn't I at least be seeing the DOS build up right at the very beginning?

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:

I get Signal Not Supported all the way along. I even disabled pass word so it would go right into windows without getting stuck on a pre-windows screen.

Do you mean to say that I should try F5 0r F8 at boot-up to change the screen mode? For this to work, shouldn't I at least be seeing the DOS build up right at the very beginning?

Thanks.

Are you getting the 'Signal Not Supported' message as soon as you turn on your PC? A driver update shouldn't have affected the pre-Windows screens since the drivers only affect the Windows environment.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Noobified said:
Are you getting the 'Signal Not Supported' message as soon as you turn on your PC? A driver update shouldn't have affected the pre-Windows screens since the drivers only affect the Windows environment.

[/QUOTE

I have never seen the pre-Windows screen when hooked to the HDMI, except at the point where the Windows password is requested. But before installing the new drivers, it was smooth sailing from that login forward. Now there is nothing, nothing and more nothing. Even The Blue Screen Of Death would be a comfort

·
Registered
32 Posts
I looked on sonystyle but didnt see it......did the XBR2's carry over the clear qam from the XBR1?

Im thinking about picking up the 40xbr2 for the bedroom to replace the 32xbr1 now. I like the "free hd" from the qam- wasnt sure if the new set would have it.

Does it?

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:

Component is fine for right now but after the firmware upgrade in November and the add-on HD DVD player to follow, you will need the VGA output to get the full 1080p advantage.

Yeah the problem is that xbox360 hd content is $200 bucks and it will still use component cables. You cannot get a true 1080p with component. HDMI is needed this is a waste of money in my book, Im just waiting for ps3

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker /forum/post/0

Yeah the problem is that xbox360 hd content is $200 bucks and it will still use component cables. You cannot get a true 1080p with component. HDMI is needed this is a waste of money in my book, Im just waiting for ps3

I will also be getting a PS3, mostly for the Blu-ray player.

It is unfortunate MS have eschewd the HDMI interface because VGA is sort of an odd ball choice for 1080p in many ways. However, our XBR2/3 TVs can handle it and a $200 upgrade for 1080p HD DVD sounds like a pretty good deal if you already have the 360. For the first while, I think most of the available media will be mastered at 1080i so we will not gain any real advantage until later. With respect to 360 gaming, I think 1080p mastered games will have to work with the original internal player or 360 owners would throw a collective fit.

In other words, if you had to buy the HD DVD add-on for the best gaming results, existing owners would really feel ripped off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had my 40XBR3 for about 2-3 weeks. Greatest thing since sex (mebbe better?)

I'm using three inputs; one for a TiVo, one for DVD, one for a cable SA8300HD. I have the set programmed to skip the other video inputs, and only stop on these three.

BUT... it still stops on the "antenna" video input (not sure of correct name, it's like video '1'). I have nothing hooked to it, so it says 'no signal', as it should. But how the heck can I get it to skip it. I did go thru setup, thinking when it discovered there was no signal on that input, it would skip. No such luck

Thanks.

Stuart

/long time lurker/love this forum/

941 - 960 of 3400 Posts