AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 3757 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/0



Thanks for that. Is there anyway to unload the player and erase all the information of the discs unloaded without using eject in case I decide not load them back in the same way?

When reloading just select the "Load All" option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsarc419 /forum/post/20796303


Has anyone who had this issue found a solution? I having the same thing happen with "A Bug's Life" and "Monsters Inc." Blu-rays. The discs play the trailers, then I push "top menu" the animation load screen appears for 20-25 seconds then the it goes blank, nothing. I push top menu again and same thing, load animation 20-25 seconds, then nothing. These are the only two disc that I have this issue with thus far. They have worked before, just not working now. They work fine in my Sony BDP-570. Any help would be appreciated.


Thanks,

Dave



I figured it out, so if anyone else is having the same issue here, after updating to version 020, here is how to remedy it.


Go to the "Setup" menu

Scroll down to the last item "Resetting"

Reset the player to the factory default settings

I selected "All Settings"

"OK"


After the reset, you will be automatically prompted to run the "Easy Setup"

Run the "Easy Setup" and you'll be back in business. The good thing is that all your disc info will remain intact through the reset. After doing this I had no issues with "A Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc." loading the menu screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
So two years ago we had discussions with a contact at SONY about developing applications for the BDP-CX7000ES. Some projects were started, but our contact's boss ended up being promoted and that pretty much killed the whole thing. Nothing really got finished/polished, but what had been done did work properly. So I have dusted one of the Android application and it is now available for free on The Market as TaCX7000ES . I don't really plan on spending much development time on it, but feel free to provide comment/suggestions through the various available support options...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsdad44 /forum/post/20848885


Anybody know what the future is of the Sony MegaChangers? I haven't heard anything about whether there will be a replacement for the 7000ES.

I haven't heard anything, and after my experiences with both their high end and lower end BD mega changer I would never buy or recommend one.


I personally opted for a media player with full BD support. The far faster access, the far better gui, the far higher level of customability, the ability to have multiple players access my entire collection, and the bit-for-bit full playback of my entire BD collection sold me to go that direction.


Of course, I now have a need for about $2,100 in networked hard drives to be on my system, but after I hit 400 BDs, I just add more hard drives, I don't have to buy any more players.


I wish Sony had taken this product much further than it did. Why is there no iPhone interface? Why is it that it has not built in web-interface? Not even on the ES model? Why can't you get a list of the movies you own from the player?


With how much technology has pushed forward, it's extremely frustrating that this product seemed to be designed around their older 777ES DVD unit, with absolutely minimal improvements in the overal experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20848921


I personally opted for a media player with full BD support. The far faster access, the far better gui, the far higher level of customability, the ability to have multiple players access my entire collection, and the bit-for-bit full playback of my entire BD collection sold me to go that direction.


Of course, I now have a need for about $2,100 in networked hard drives to be on my system, but after I hit 400 BDs, I just add more hard drives, I don't have to buy any more players.

Well you just hit upon the primary reason why a media player still can't compete with the 7000: cost. You can now pick up a changer easily for under $1000. No media center is going to be able to compete with that. Then there is the added burden of ripping your collection. I have no direct experience with media centers, but I do have some experience attempting to rip BDs and the industry has intentionally made that challenging. Am I mistaken or are there discs that are difficult or impossible to incorporate in to a media center device?


Personally I would love to replace my 7000 with a PC-based player as it would make a number of things easier. But the cost is steep and right now I've got more pressing things to spend my money on.

Quote:
I wish Sony had taken this product much further than it did. Why is there no iPhone interface? Why is it that it has not built in web-interface? Not even on the ES model? Why can't you get a list of the movies you own from the player?

It has enough of a command set available via TCP that a web front end could be built, thus an iPhone interface is also possible. In fact, about three posts ago in this very topic someone included a link to a half-finished Android app that can act as a remote control for the 7000. But clearly this unit begs for something far more sophisticated. The command set is very inadequate and, as you point out, there is no way to get a complete list of the discs in the player without individually loading each one.


Embedding everything with a web server didn't really come about until after the 7000 was released. It could certainly benefit from it. I think it's pretty clear that Sony isn't interested in putting any more effort in to this unit. It was always a niche product and now many folks like yourself are moving towards things that are more like media centers anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20848921


With how much technology has pushed forward, it's extremely frustrating that this product seemed to be designed around their older 777ES DVD unit, with absolutely minimal improvements in the overal experience.

The 7000 was actually a step backwards from the 777 as it doesn't play SACDs. But at least its layer-change speed for DVDs is better.


I agree, as a standalone unit the 7000 is a disappointment. The UI is poor, the interface with Gracenote is a constant source of complaint, load times are long, etc. But as part of a larger automation system it does reasonably well. I use Cinemar's system to operate my theater and it does a good job integrating with the 7000. There are still some warts and frustrations but at least Cinemar is still actively working on the driver. The Cinemar system isn't exactly what I would call "turn key" but I've gotten it to the point where I am satisfied with the result.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsdad44 /forum/post/20848885


Anybody know what the future is of the Sony MegaChangers? I haven't heard anything about whether there will be a replacement for the 7000ES.

I have heard from Sony that the megachangers are done. They have a bunch of 7000s in the system,but that is the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20848921


Why is there no iPhone interface?

I'd say that the main issue is that instead of going for the standard DLNA server approach, which would have made it accessible to countless third party applications, they decided to simply expose through UPnP their proprietary serial commands (slightly modified)... Since I had already toyed with their serial protocol for a PC server app, it wasn't too bad, but...


Even then, they wouldn't allow things as simple as accessing the internal database, as wnl said, a disc has to be in slot 0 (the playing one) to get any info about it. So I had to do something as silly as loading/unloading all the individual discs once to build a local database... Short of pulling the images from the changer, I was hoping to later gain access to Gracenote directly for that, but the negotiation didn't get that far...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl /forum/post/20848982


Well you just hit upon the primary reason why a media player still can't compete with the 7000: cost. You can now pick up a changer easily for under $1000. No media center is going to be able to compete with that. Then there is the added burden of ripping your collection. I have no direct experience with media centers, but I do have some experience attempting to rip BDs and the industry has intentionally made that challenging. Am I mistaken or are there discs that are difficult or impossible to incorporate in to a media center device?

Cost is obviously a big issue, but my discs are all being backed up in a RAID, which isn't required for people just starting out. Still, I recommend it. About $1,100 will get you a Dune player and 5.71TB of RAID storage. About 150 discs ripped 1:1 with all the extras. Expandable forever which is nice.


I have personally not run into any issues ripping any movies in my collection, and I'm up to over 200 discs on the Dune. Yeah, it certainly takes a while. But, I usually drop a disc in when I get home from work, press the 'copy disc' button, and walk away. An hour or so later, it's done.


I have a 400 disc DVD changer, and after my experience with a media server, the extra effort of the Dune up front is well worth it I believe. Not to the point where I would be giving it to a client, though it is pretty close. The biggest headache, which Sony does well, is that firmware updates aren't as seamless as they shoudl be. Ah well! It's pretty minor to handle, but it is still a bit of a pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle /forum/post/20849032


I have heard from Sony that the megachangers are done. They have a bunch of 7000s in the system,but that is the end.

I heard from a Sony source that a new Megachanger should surface in the October-November time frame. According to the source. price will be around 800 dollars. Supposed to have DLNA, 3D and other goodies. Don't take this to the bank, but at least we can look forward and see if it happens. Sony is pushing 3D hard and this would fit right in there with their scheme.


Maybe this is why the 960s are cheap..

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinabnett /forum/post/20851472


I heard from a Sony source that a new Megachanger should surface in the October-November time frame. According to the source. price will be around 800 dollars. Supposed to have DLNA, 3D and other goodies. Don't take this to the bank, but at least we can look forward and see if it happens. Sony is pushing 3D hard and this would fit right in there with their scheme.


Maybe this is why the 960s are cheap..

Bill


I hope that's true. They can definitely improve the 960's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
I'd bet you a buck that it'll have exactly the same GUI as the 960. Sony is really into this goofy GUI and it's in all their products nowadays from TVs to DVD players to the PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose /forum/post/20855892


I'd bet you a buck that it'll have exactly the same GUI as the 960. Sony is really into this goofy GUI and it's in all their products nowadays from TVs to DVD players to the PS3.

I bet that you win that bet! But if they fix a lot and add a lot.... i guess that is better than what we got now.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose
... Sony is really into this goofy GUI and it's in all their products nowadays from TVs to DVD players to the PS3 ..
I don't mind the GUI all that much, but since it's running Linux under the covers, it would be nice to have some alternate network access to get at (and potentially modify) the database. As it is, there are NO network ports open ...


Even nicer would be an embedded web server that provided the same info (and operational buttons) as the GUI and remote, over the network connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74
I can tell you that the Firmware is not the issue. I have updated my 960 to the latest firmware and nothing has happend. In fact, the latest firmware has made my machine read more of the BD Rom disks that it had not read before. I would suggest updating to the latest firmware over a wired net connection. This might fix the issue.
I'm on 15.4.0.20, downloaded over a wired connection.


After the same problem, I did a factory reset (via the service menu). That forced a complete reload of the database, and that resulted in only two "Invalid disc" messages, which were cleared by a retry on each.


I did have to reenter the info on those discs Gracie couldn't find, but I've gotten pretty speedy at that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinabnett /forum/post/20851472


I heard from a Sony source that a new Megachanger should surface in the October-November time frame. According to the source. price will be around 800 dollars. Supposed to have DLNA, 3D and other goodies. Don't take this to the bank, but at least we can look forward and see if it happens. Sony is pushing 3D hard and this would fit right in there with their scheme.


Maybe this is why the 960s are cheap..

Bill

I just got a confirmation notice from Sony indicating the BDPCX7000ES will not be changed to accommodate the Analog sunset rule requiring down res or removal of HD Component connections . In addition no new model will be introduced to replace it. They cannot ship any of the models with HD component in calender 2012.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson /forum/post/20859150


I'm on 15.4.0.20, downloaded over a wired connection.


After the same problem, I did a factory reset (via the service menu). That forced a complete reload of the database, and that resulted in only two "Invalid disc" messages, which were cleared by a retry on each.


I did have to reenter the info on those discs Gracie couldn't find, but I've gotten pretty speedy at that.

Update: I moved a bunch of BD around and had to re-load their info, and about 8 out of 20 didn't load. I eventually got them to load by retrying, but I sent an inquiry to Sony, and got back a form response, with a link to http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1001161 [web page dated 2011-06-30]. I'll keep a close eye out for more problems (or Sony updates), but as much as I like this device, it will be Sony's 3rd strike if the problem doesn't get solved (a recent Sony TV that was severely subject to RFI was the first, and the Sony DVP-CX995V not reading some discs was the 2nd).


Not only is the changer really convenient, but I like not having to handle discs. However, the embarrassment/frustration when having visitors over, may push me to sell the thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Been following this thread for awhile now and noticed speculation about if new Sony Mega Changer is going to happen. I for one hope there is at least one more generation of these type of devices. I believe media player type devices are the future but it's evolving and for my budget still not cost effective so another generation of mega changers should bridge the gap nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I'm new to the forum and haven't had the time to read all the way through this thread so my apologies if this has been covered.


I've recently switched from a Sony 400 disc DVD mega changer to a Sony BDP-CX960 400 Disc Blu-ray/DVD/ CD MegaChanger. I got it off of Ebay at a good price figuring something better would be along eventually. I'm ok with the changes in the interface and stuff, anal as they are, but when I put in Battle: Los Angeles and Sucker Punch no art work? I expected that from my own creations (24-7 Spyz-The Many Lives Of Rattamus and Kidd Funkadelic- Live From San Francisco) I figured the jacket art would be overwritten by the Gracenote process. But I didn't expect it from big time studio projects. What gives? At least with the DVD mega changer you could make your own cover art since my disc didn't include the jacket art.


It's really starting to annoy me now.


Any suggestions?


Thanks
 
2441 - 2460 of 3757 Posts
Top