AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3760 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
thanks, the main reason i got it is to catalog my cd's, without having to input info. the guy i got it from said it had invalid disc issues, i figured i'd try the cd lens cleaner first, it had 4 bd's that were invalid, i ran the cd and they are now working, i also got a new laser assy with it, paid $390, only thing is i'm missing is the door for the remote. I pulled out some invalid cds this morning and reinserted and it seemed to find them.
Good deal. Enjoy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just changed the laser, followed your pics, thanks!
I was having issues with about 1/2 my cds coming back as invalid, now seems to be fixed, loading right now...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just changed the laser, followed your pics, thanks!
I was having issues with about 1/2 my cds coming back as invalid, now seems to be fixed, loading right now...
You're wecome and great to hear the invalid disc issue isn't continuing to rear its ugly head. Most excellent!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Have BDP-CX7000ES which somehow appears to have a disc stuck somewhere. For some reason when I try to open the player, the front panel or window will open about half an inch or so and stop. Grinding noise while it attempts to open, then stops and closes. The disc trey turns and if I look real close it appears that a disc or 2 is sticking out.

Any idea on how to get this fixed? Can I remove the front of the player and fix that way?

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have BDP-CX7000ES which somehow appears to have a disc stuck somewhere. For some reason when I try to open the player, the front panel or window will open about half an inch or so and stop. Grinding noise while it attempts to open, then stops and closes. The disc trey turns and if I look real close it appears that a disc or 2 is sticking out.

Any idea on how to get this fixed? Can I remove the front of the player and fix that way?

Appreciate any help.
Not sure what might be going on. You'll want to take a closer look by taking the top cover off. (See Step #1 outlined here.)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Not sure what might be going on. You'll want to take a closer look by taking the top cover off. (See Step #1 outlined here.)
Thank you very much! Exactly what I needed. This morning I tried it and still sticking but at least no grinding noise. The strange thing is that I have used the player recently with no problem. Also, the player has not moved so not sure what is going on.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you very much! Exactly what I needed. This morning I tried it and still sticking but at least no grinding noise. The strange thing is that I have used the player recently with no problem. Also, the player has not moved so not sure what is going on. Thanks again.
You're welcome. If you want to troubleshoot this together offline just send me a PM. If you have an iPhone we could Facetime, i.e. so I could see and hear what the changer is doing. Might be able to help you figure out what's wrong. ;)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Appreciate the offer but I have such a screwed up schedule not sure when I can even get to this. I have figured out that it is not a disc. I was able to get the turntable to go to a different disc and play. When I tried to eject that disc, the door stopped as before after opening about a half inch or less. It looks like something has somehow jammed the opening gears of the door. I have a service manual for the player so with what you have provided and the manual, believe I can play around with it.

Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: Low Profile

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Just thought you would like to know that after finding time to troubleshoot the problem, I got it resolved. After taking the case off I discovered that a disc had somehow gotten out of the carousel and got stuck between the door and its opening mechanism. After removing the disc with tweezers and putting the case back on, the unit is now working as it should. I think I really got lucky with that one.

Take care.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello, I just bought a mint cx7000es from eBay. According to the service menu, it does not have many hours. Yet it already reports Invalid Disc on my brand new Jaws 3 blu-ray and many CDs. This same blu-ray works in my bdp-cx960. Also some CDs don't work. This machine probably never had its laser replaced and has seen little use. Are lasers known to deteriorate just from old age? Does it make sense for both the blu ray laser and the CD laser to go bad? I am very afraid of spending money on a laser just to find out the fault is elsewhere.

What is the most reliable source for lasers, eBay or Aliexpress?

My Sony DVP-cx777es DVD/CD changer has a service menu where you can put in a Single layer DVD, CD and dual-layer DVD and it loads them one after the other and optimizes laser-related settings. I did not find any such menu on the cx7000es. Did I miss it? I have the service manual and there was no mention of a laser service menu.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello, I just bought a mint cx7000es from eBay. According to the service menu, it does not have many hours. Yet it already reports Invalid Disc on my brand new Jaws 3 blu-ray and many CDs. This same blu-ray works in my bdp-cx960. Also some CDs don't work. This machine probably never had its laser replaced and has seen little use. Are lasers known to deteriorate just from old age? Does it make sense for both the blu ray laser and the CD laser to go bad? I am very afraid of spending money on a laser just to find out the fault is elsewhere.

What is the most reliable source for lasers, eBay or Aliexpress?

My Sony DVP-cx777es DVD/CD changer has a service menu where you can put in a Single layer DVD, CD and dual-layer DVD and it loads them one after the other and optimizes laser-related settings. I did not find any such menu on the cx7000es. Did I miss it? I have the service manual and there was no mention of a laser service menu.
Many of Sony's Blu-ray changers shipped out the gate with faulty optical pickups. I've replaced optical pickups that only played DVD's, only played pressed Blu-rays, only played burned Blu-rays, only played a combination of those, the invalid disc error being given either all the time or just some of the time per the formats the given laser was having trouble with. (Never tried a CD.) In each and every case so far replacing the optical pickup has resolved the issue for me and I own 15 of the 7000es units. Provide a walkthrough here for swapping out the optical pickup. Purchased all mine off EBay. One such listing can be found here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the eBay listing. I got impatient so I ordered a couple of BDP-BX2 players to use as a source for the replacement laser as well as test beds for any future laser replacements. But now I came across this scary post: Blu-Rays not playing #2 : Blu-ray Players
It mentions: "need software called " JIG Name: BDBUDec. exe " that is only available to Sony as well it requires a password once the sofware is opened and then drag and drop the photo into the software which in turn decodes it into a text file named BuData.txt which is placed in the root of your jump drive and then inserted into the back of the players EXT port and via the service menu is written to the player after the drive has been replaced via the service menu option "rewriteOPdata" .". It is also in the bdp-bx2 service manual. Does this apply to the CX7000ES as well or can I simply swap the laser? I have a lot of experience replacing cx777es lasers so I hope the process is similar.

Edit: Received my new laser from an eBay seller. I first tried it in my test bed BDP-BX2, where it worked very well and then moved it into the BDP-CX7000ES. Now it plays all the previously invalid discs! The service manual gives good disassembly instructions too, in addition to the walkthrough on this thread. I did the laser-only replacement, leaving the rest of the optical assembly. I found it interesting that my new laser did not come with a solder blob. I hope that is normal and not a sign of a used laser. The replacement lasers for the cx777es have a blob on them, which is there to protect against static electricity and needs to be removed before using.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the eBay listing. I got impatient so I ordered a couple of BDP-BX2 players to use as a source for the replacement laser as well as test beds for any future laser replacements. But now I came across this scary post: Blu-Rays not playing #2 : Blu-ray Players
It mentions: "need software called " JIG Name: BDBUDec. exe " that is only available to Sony as well it requires a password once the sofware is opened and then drag and drop the photo into the software which in turn decodes it into a text file named BuData.txt which is placed in the root of your jump drive and then inserted into the back of the players EXT port and via the service menu is written to the player after the drive has been replaced via the service menu option "rewriteOPdata" .". It is also in the bdp-bx2 service manual. Does this apply to the CX7000ES as well or can I simply swap the laser? I have a lot of experience replacing cx777es lasers so I hope the process is similar.
I've swapped out the optical pickup in close to a dozen Blu-ray changers so far. You just swap it out. Nothing else to be done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've developed DiscChanger.NET, a free ASP.NET Core 3.1 solution to manage the discs in DVP-CX777ES and BDP-CX7000ES changers. I use my DVP-CX777ES disc changers almost exclusively for audio, since they still hold their own in 2020, with SACD and regular CD support. The program can run on Windows (IIS) or Linux and I've tested it on Windows 10 and on a Raspberry Pi 4. A Raspberry Pi 4 has up to 5 serial ports and can control 5 changers out of the box. Probably more if you add USB serial ports but I have not tested how much of a load it can handle.

DiscChanger.NET uses MusicBrainz to lookup the disc data given the table of contents from the changer serial RS232 interface and organizes the discs in a grid, making it convenient to use any of your tablets or computers to select discs or tracks to play.

DiscChanger.NET also shows BD and DVD, but is not yet capable of performing metadata lookups for these disc types. It is an open source project and any contributions are welcomed.

For more information, see http://readme.discchanger.net.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd like to know which 3rd party programs are being used (and whether they use RS232 or IP control) by folks with these changers.

I used to use MyMovies for WMC but after visiting their site today, I can find no mention of support for the 7000es so I'm wondering if that is still an option.

Are there any other programs available to run on a Windows PC that will control these changers?

Thanks,

--J
Check out http://readme.discchanger.net for my new ASP.NET Core 3.1 solution. If anyone knows of a good metadata service for DVDs, similar to MusicBrainz for CDs, I will add it to my solution.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been wanting to expand my Salamander Synergy Twin 40 cabinet for a while now, so that each changer has its own shelf. Having 6 of them stacked on top of the cabinet isn't exactly ideal, especially in the event I need to work on one of them. I also have 3 additional changers I purchased for future expansion with no good place to put them.

The great thing about these Salamander Synergy cabinets is that they're modular, so the plan was to convert the Twin 40 to a Triple 40, then adding a Twin 40 extension. This would accomodate all 15 changers. Over the past couple months I acquired everything I needed. Spent this past weekend putting my plan into action. Below is the end result prior to installing the doors.

And here's what the cabinet looks like with the doors installed. Well, I still need to paint the doors across the bottom black. Purchased the 3 doors used for less than what 1 new door would have cost me. Going to paint them tomorrow.

UPDATE (11/06/2020): Salamander Synergy upgrade completed!

Finally got around to spray painting the used doors I had bought. Ended up only needing one coat.

And here's what they look like installed. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Doors opened:

Doors closed:

Feels great to finally get this project knocked out. Physical media for the win baby! 👍

(For those interested I've got a post over at Blu-ray.com that goes into more detail. Additional images are included as well. You can find that post here.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are any of the replacement laser pickups actually newly manufactured, or are they all old stock? The one I got from eBay worked for a few months in my cx7000es, but stopped completely two days ago (not playing CD/DVD/Blu-Ray). Now, I just moved an old laser from my test bed BDP-BX2 into the changer, but blu-ray playback only works 1 out of 4 times (CD/DVD working). The disc doesn't even start spinning after loading, which means it already fails at disc type detection time, right? I never changed my DR-510 board as per the service manual. I am sure these are now unavailable new. Has anyone on this AVSForum thread ever changed their DR510 board, where it made a difference? For now, I am returning my eBay laser pickup for a replacement, hopefully it will last.

Anyone reading this who did a long-lasting laser replacement, please post your trusted source for the best quality cx7000es/cx960 replacement laser pickup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I own 6 of the Sony DVP-CX985V units. In the past couple years I've had to replace the belts in each of them, the belts for the disc mechanism and carousel. There's a belt for the front door as well. You more than likely need to replace one or more belts.
@Low Profile,

Thanks again for your help above. I did purchase the set of 3 bets for my DVP-CX777ES, but put off doing this until now!

The blu-ray site is now back up so I was able to re-review the link you provided, thanks.
The video is no longer available but the step by step is good. It talks about replacing the two belts in back and seems like with the back and top off it is tight but do-able.

Are there directions somewhere about replacing the third belt which I believe is for the door front? My door does not open and the carousel does not spin. But since I will have it apart, I assume it makes sense to replace all 3? The belt set I purchased has the 3 belts.

Thanks,
BJBBJB

·
Registered
450 Posts
@Low Profile,

Thanks again for your help above. I did purchase the set of 3 bets for my DVP-CX777ES, but put off doing this until now!

The blu-ray site is now back up so I was able to re-review the link you provided, thanks.
The video is no longer available but the step by step is good. It talks about replacing the two belts in back and seems like with the back and top off it is tight but do-able.

Are there directions somewhere about replacing the third belt which I believe is for the door front? My door does not open and the carousel does not spin. But since I will have it apart, I assume it makes sense to replace all 3? The belt set I purchased has the 3 belts.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
YouTube shut my channel down stating it was a danger to the public and had repeatedly violated their terms of service. I never violated their terms of service. I never received a warning of any kind. Nothing I had uploaded was a danger to anyone and none of it infringed on any copyright. My videos couldn't even be accessed unless I provided the URL. Up until recently I didn't have the storage space locally, so all the videos I uploaded to YouTube are gone forever now. That being said, I've never actually changed out the belt for the door. No thought should be involved to change it out once you dismantle the changer enough to get to it obviously. I downloaded a copy of the Sony DVP-CX777ES service manual just now uploading it to my secure website. It can be downloaded here if you don't have a copy already and should be all you need to figure it out. Good luck!

3741 - 3760 of 3760 Posts