AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3756 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,342 Posts
just got mine


1080/24p seems to work fine on a 60" Kuro plasma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter /forum/post/17024385


This statement is found on the foot notes on the specifications page for the megachanger on the Sony Style website "1080p playback requires HDMI connector (sold separately)"


I would have thought this was just the HDMI cable but term "HDMI cable" is used on a subsequent footnote.


Has anyone tried to view 24p content yet? If so was something additional needed to be purchased? How is the 24p, any "judder" issues to speak of?


Thanks

I don't have a 1080/24p compatable TV, but page 67 of the owners manual states all the conditions necessary to obtain this format.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,342 Posts
loaded 13 BR discs into my new 7000ES:


GraceNotes recognized all but the Spears & Munsil test disc that comes with the OPPO 83


the changer is slow (even on quick start) but it seems to work well


the repeat functions will not work with a BD disc as expected


noise: the changer has a fan but it has not come on after several hours of operation in A/C room
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
How fast is it to boot?

How slow to load a disc from tray spin to play?

Does it load the last disc watched when turning it back on?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17028991


loaded 13 BR discs into my new 7000ES:


GraceNotes recognized all but the Spears & Munsil test disc that comes with the OPPO 83


the changer is slow (even on quick start) but it seems to work well


the repeat functions will not work with a BD disc as expected


noise: the changer has a fan but it has not come on after several hours of operation in A/C room


So am I to understand then that the new changer actually goes out to Gracenote via the network to grab the disc information? Or is it preloaded in the units memory?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraid /forum/post/17031553


So am I to understand then that the new changer actually goes out to Gracenote via the network to grab the disc information? Or is it preloaded in the units memory?

it goes out to Gracenote for each new disc [you have to instruct it to load]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17031586


it goes out to Gracenote for each new disc [you have to instruct it to load]

Thanks Mark.

I do own a 777ES right now as was considering on buying a Escient unit to control it as well at the 7000ES. If both Sony and Escient use the same site to grab cover art, etc, why are some saying that the 7000ES does not bring over certain pieces of cover art whereas Escients units will? Also, can we link the 777ES with the 7000ES without using the serial connection?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraid /forum/post/17031618


Thanks Mark.

I do own a 777ES right now as was considering on buying a Escient unit to control it as well at the 7000ES. If both Sony and Escient use the same site to grab cover art, etc, why are some saying that the 7000ES does not bring over certain pieces of cover art whereas Escients units will? Also, can we link the 777ES with the 7000ES without using the serial connection?

the 7000ES Gracenote download is very basic as opposed to the Escient [I used to have a DVDM-300 Escient system but sold it]


I am debating if I want to add the VS-100 system: I want to see what the 7000ES can do on its own first. The only Gracenote stuff I see is when the home screen is selected: it will show you every disc loaded including cover art, title, etc


other questions I cannot answer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraid /forum/post/17031618


Thanks Mark.

I do own a 777ES right now as was considering on buying a Escient unit to control it as well at the 7000ES. If both Sony and Escient use the same site to grab cover art, etc, why are some saying that the 7000ES does not bring over certain pieces of cover art whereas Escients units will? Also, can we link the 777ES with the 7000ES without using the serial connection?

I just received my Escient VS-100 and am ripping SD DVDs for now until the changer support arrives...


The interface on the Sony is servicable, but the Escient is very much like Front Row on a Mac - the browsing, sorting, availability of movie descriptions, lage size cover art, etc, make it great experience if you're looking to waste some money..



I've noticed that the Sony/Gracenote combo missed about 5 titles completely, including Terminator 2:Skynet Edition, and picked up non-English disc info for about seven others, out of the first 130 BR titles I loaded. We'll see what, if anything, is different with those titles when the changer support arrives. Maybe there are multiple ways of polling the Gracenote DB, and Escient does a better/more thorough job while Sony is more rudimentary in its approach.


I'll try and post some screen shots of both, though the Escient web site has some pretty good example of that their GUI looks like, and according the Escient reps, the changer interface will be the same as the ripped library interface


I really didn't want to spend on the Escient, and there's no reason why Sony couldn't have added an Escient-styled front end to the changer, especially for the price. But I justified by getting accommodation pricing
, creating a unified movie library, and using it as the basis for serving out content to multiple rooms with a new Intelix HDMI matrix switch I should be receiving today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Thanks guys.

That is very helpful. I think I will first purchase the 7000ES and go from there. The Escient unit is pretty sweet, but want to see first hand what the 7000ES can do.

Cheers!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,342 Posts
Escient gives you more options if the Gracenote data is not correct: you can do a search for the correct data manually as I recall


[other servers like Request Audio give you even more: Request gives you the option to use other subscription services to get cover art: there are several other services both free & paid]


I have an RTI control system and they just released 2 way drivers for Escient: this is why I may buy it but figure there is no rush until the firmware for the 7000ES is released
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,892 Posts
So I found the listing for the Escient VS-100 at "wholesale" on ebay.


$2600 for a slicker GUI? NO thanks.


There has got to be a better way, or another way, period.


I nearly spit up on my laptop.


It stands to reason that there's at least a decent chance Sony will execute one of their billion or so firmware updates and supply a better menu, including larger title sizes. SO, I'll wait it out a bit and see what happens.


Personally, I am not made of money and could never justify this purchase. Hell, I don't know if I could even if I did.


Sincerely, god bless those that can.


James
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/17031834


So I found the listing for the Escient VS-100 at "wholesale" on ebay.


$2600 for a slicker GUI? NO thanks.


There has got to be a better way, or another way, period.


I nearly spit up on my laptop.


It stands to reason that there's at least a decent chance Sony will execute one of their billion or so firmware updates and supply a better menu, including larger title sizes.


Personally, I am not made of money and could never justify this purchase. Hell, I don't know if I could even if I did.


Sincerely, god bless those that can.


James

You're largely correct - in my case, even employee accommodation pricing was tough to swallow, but it was lot more attractive that that eBay price.


I've also been itching to integrate whole-house HD video distribution (at least four zones to start anyway), and the Escient VS-100/BDMP-7000es was a good start for a unified source device...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,892 Posts
^ Yes, good point about the "whole-home" integration. I'm not trying to undersell what the Escient is capable of, it just seems like an awfully expensive way of accomplishing it.


The list price for the unit is nearly unbelievable to me.


James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,892 Posts
Bit off topic, but, for someone who knows more than me: do/when will HDMI splitters exist to at least emit same-source material to multiple zones? I've heard that there are some around, but they don't really work well. Something like this: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=1666


I've heard many only get partial or completely corrupted signals.


I mean this way I could at least watch DirecTV in one room and BD's in another. Guess a switcher could accomplish the same thing, but I'd be nice to never have to mess with it and just have the changer "at the ready" for any room.




EDIT: Guess I should retract my statement after reading rave reviews on this: http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Splitt...0776742&sr=8-3


I always thought HDMI inherently didn't allow for "splitting", but I guess assumed incorrectly. Looks like a sure-fire way to enjoy the changer in multiple rooms.



James
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/17031979


Bit off topic, but, for someone who knows more than me: do/when will HDMI splitters exist to at least emit same-source material to multiple zones? I've heard that there are some around, but they don't really work well.


I mean this way I could at least watch DirecTV in one room and BD's in another.


James

Purportedly very good - I should have them installed this weekend and will let you know:


The 4x4 matrix
http://www.intelix.com/products/digihdmi4x4.htm


The remote zone baluns:
http://www.avovercat5.com/products/digihdmiirr.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Awesome news that Sony is releasing the BDP-CX7000ES and BDP-CX960. I can only hope and pray that it proves more reliable than the DVP-CX995V that I have. It was truly a sickening feeling when it failed considering the hours spent with a keyboard entering information for discs without DVD Text. That and the surface scratches on every disc I put in the thing.


However, I will still more than likely buy a BDP-CX7000ES. The ability to have that many discs accessible is an amazing thing. I truly miss my 995V. For whatever reason, it stopped reading discs. So now it sits in a closet.

Cheers,

AD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts

I just received my Escient VS-100 and am ripping SD DVDs for now until the changer support arrives...
Thrang,


Is it your understanding that the the VS-100 will be able to combine the movies from the VS-100, or another source like the VX-600 with the Mega changer into 1 library? Currently the Fireball combines multiple Sony 777s into one library for viewing.


Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,450 Posts

I just received my Escient VS-100 and am ripping SD DVDs for now until the changer support arrives...
Quote:
Thrang,


Is it your understanding that the the VS-100 will be able to combine the movies from the VS-100, or another source like the VX-600 with the Mega changer into 1 library? Currently the Fireball combines multiple Sony 777s into one library for viewing.


Thanks

Yes (well, whether it is one menu choice, "Movie Library", or two, "Movie Library" and "External Library" or something like that, I don't know. I believe it is the former -


Thanks
 
21 - 40 of 3756 Posts
Top