AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 3760 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/17086238

escient vision no longer available, dont hold your breath for a firmware upgrade

Hmmm . . . that's strange. However, I can assure you that I bought mine strictly on the basis of Escient's promise to upgrade (on its website, at prior CEDIAs, phone conversations with Escient). If, somehow, support for the changer goes out the window, then Escient will have some answering to do.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
6,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo /forum/post/17086293

Hmmm . . . that's strange. However, I can assure you that I bought mine strictly on the basis of Escient's promise to upgrade (on its website, at prior CEDIAs, phone conversations with Escient). If, somehow, support for the changer goes out the window, then Escient will have some answering to do.

Thanks,

Nick

That would be just about enough to piss off the Pope

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
While it's on my mind, how much bigger would the cover art need to be for Sony's user interface to be sweet?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I seriously doubt there will be any new hardware at Cedia. this was their flagship line introduced at cedia last year. They have been watching the kalaidescape lawsuit, and are probably next in line. Very unfortunate situation, and I will be surprised if there are any further firmware upgrades. When has a manufacturer ever offered an upgrade after they have pulled the product? I think the best to hope for is continued support for malfunctioning units.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/17086428

I seriously doubt there will be any new hardware at Cedia. this was their flagship line introduced at cedia last year. They have been watching the kalaidescape lawsuit, and are probably next in line. Very unfortunate situation, and I will be surprised if there are any further firmware upgrades. When has a manufacturer ever offered an upgrade after they have pulled the product? I think the best to hope for is continued support for malfunctioning units.

We'll all know more next week, but just about any manufacturer I can think of has supported their discontinued hardware for some period of time...even Toshiba was issuing HD-DVD updates after they lost the format battle.

Nonetheless, as in Nick's case, I have several emails as well as the published FAQ indicating support - since I purchased recently, I will certainly demand a refund and/or dispute with my credit card company should they back out of their word.

·
Super Moderator
21,499 Posts
that is bad news: perhaps the changer was released with firmware that prevents the Vision from working ?

without an announcement of new HW or FW this cannot be good news

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17086683

that is bad news: perhaps the changer was released with firmware that prevents the Vision from working ?

without an announcement of new HW or FW this cannot be good news

Again, I would say with CEDIA about a week away, let's see - the firmware update was announced for Q4, and is still on their FAQ, and it is not uncommon for their to be a gap between old inventory and a new product announcement.

While bellarieroad could be correct about connecting this to the Kaleidescape ruling, Kaleidescape is still selling their products, aren't they?

For posterity's sake, I'm posting this, in case Escient takes it down!!!:

and later in the FAQ here:

·
Registered
142 Posts
All kinds of ways to wiggle out of that...says "is planned", not "will be available". I wonder if they are still "planning" to release it, now that they have dc'd it

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/17086807

All kinds of ways to wiggle out of that...says "is planned", not "will be available". I wonder if they are still "planning" to release it, now that they have dc'd it

The second part of the FAQ

Quote:
Sony Blu-ray Changer Control

Does Vision Support the new Sony 400 disc Blu-ray Changer?

Vision will support the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer with a software update in Q4 2009.

along with three emails I have from Escient leave no wiggle room - this is not to say they wouldn't do an about face, but they would lose a substantial amount of credibility, especially with the CI market, if they do so.

Do you know if Kaleidescape has stopped selling their gear?

·
Registered
142 Posts

Again, I would say with CEDIA about a week away, let's see - the firmware update was announced for Q4, and is still on their FAQ, and it is not uncommon for their to be a gap between old inventory and a new product announcement.

I wish I were as optimistic as you. I guess they could have cleared out their inventory, but what's the odds of that? Be ready for the merchandise to be sold off at pennies on the dollar, then turned over on EBAY. I doubt they have even sold enough to have turned a profit on the millions they must have spent on development, marketing, etc. Its only been available for a year.

The problem is DVD ripping. The writing is on the wall..... good luck to Kalaidescape, if there is anything left of them after they spend $$$ on attorney fees, defending themselves in court. The DVD CCA is after kalaidescape, who's going to win this one? Sure Kalaidescape is still selling units, what else can they do? Close down the company?

·
Registered
142 Posts

The second part of the FAQ

along with three emails I have from Escient leave no wiggle room - this is not to say they wouldn't do an about face, but they would lose a substantial amount of credibility, especially with the CI market, if they do so.

I think the credibility is done gone

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/17086428

If legal concerns over storing DVDs on the hard drive are the issue, remember, Kaliedascape won its suit. More to the point, however, the Vision's ability to control a BD changer is a different kettle of fish altogether.

The suddenness of this announcement suggests something crazy lurking behind it, perhaps some kind of suit. As an attorney, my first thought is how many units were sold, and when they started promising BD support.

My second thought is class action. If any were around for the old Entre/Kenwood Sovereign thread, they know I've been down this path before.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang /forum/post/17086777

Sure Kalaidescape is still selling units, what else can they do? Close down the company?

Well, that's sort of what you're saying Escient is doing - Fireballs are not very popular right now...so what's left?

I'm not being overly optimistic - just a wait and see attitude till a formal statement from Escient next week. Otherwise, it is idle, if not somewhat perversely pessimistic, speculation, especially with CEDIA coming.

If they're out, I'll be asking for a refund and certainly stop payment to my credit card company.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo /forum/post/17086922

If legal concerns over storing DVDs on the hard drive are the issue, remember, Kaliedascape won its suit. More to the point, however, the Vision's ability to control a BD changer is a different kettle of fish altogether.

The suddenness of this announcement suggests something crazy lurking behind it, perhaps some kind of suit. As an attorney, my first thought is how many units were sold, and when they started promising BD support.

My second thought is class action. If any were around for the old Entre/Kenwood Sovereign thread, they know I've been down this path before.

Thanks,

Nick

I think they've been promising/stating support all the way back to last CEDIA, though please correct me if I'm wrong on that...

·
Registered
142 Posts

Kalaidescape won their suit a couple of years ago, they have been sued agin in the past two weeks, that's what this is about

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo /forum/post/17086922

Kalaidescape won their suit a couple of years ago, they have been sued agin in the past two weeks, that's what this is about

Here are the details on the ruling from CEPro (from a few weeks ago)

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleide...ainst_dvd_cca/

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/17086895

Well, that's sort of what you're saying Escient is doing - Fireballs are not very popular right now...so what's left?

I'm not being overly optimistic - just a wait and see attitude till a formal statement from Escient next week. Otherwise, it is idle, if not somewhat perversely pessimistic, speculation, especially with CEDIA coming.

If they're out, I'll be asking for a refund and certainly stop payment to my credit card company.

LOL, I agree with the pessimism part, and the speculation part, not sure how you see it as perverted. Must have hit a nerve? BTW, I too have a lot invested with Escient.........

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang /forum/post/17086932

LOL, I agree with the pessimism part, and the speculation part, not sure how you see it as perverted. Must have hit a nerve? BTW, I too have a lot invested with Escient.........

Not a nerve specially with the Escient issue, but anytime there are posts in that posit speculation as presumed fact with no other information, I think they are generally less than constructive

81 - 100 of 3760 Posts