AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I own one of these players, and, having started with the BDP-S1, find virtually no difference. I thought when I purchased it that there was at least the hope of a firmware update to permit decoding of new formats. But not yet.

Now, on SonyStyle, I read:

"Dolby® TrueHD, dts®-HD Bitstream out over HDMI

The future of surround sound arrives with Blu-ray Disc technology. With the BDP-S500/BDP-2000ES, you can enjoy incredible new audio codecs from both Dolby Laboratories and Digital Theater Systems (dts). Simply by connecting your Blu-ray Disc player to the HDMI connection on your A/V Receiver, the BDP-S500/BDP-2000ES can either output or internally decode Dolby TrueHD & dts-HD. - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment like Blu-ray Disc movies. An incredible sound stage, dynamic range and a stellar Home Theater experience await you with Dolby TrueHD. - dts-HD gives you sound quality that matches the crystal clear image of Blu-ray Disc media. With up to 7.1 channels of surround sound and audio that is indistinguishable form the original studio version, dts-HD promises you an extraordinary surround experience."

First, is DTS-HD the same as DTS Master Audio? If not, then what is it? Have I missed a firmware upgrade? Can I get one?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Nick

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'd like to know too. Some have said that the new update includes DTS-HD MA decoding. Can you check it out and let us know?

BTW, do you find the picture quality on the S2000ES any better than the S1? A few S2000ES owners here have reported that it is slightly sharper.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/13911842

I'd like to know too. Some have said that the new update includes DTS-HD MA decoding. Can you check it out and let us know?

That's the purpose of my post. I don't know, so I'm asking. Hopefully, someone with greater awareness than either of us will answer the question.

Quote:
BTW, do you find the picture quality on the S2000ES any better than the S1? A few S2000ES owners here have reported that it is slightly sharper.

I neither see nor hear a difference, and my system is fairly high end from both an audio and video standpoint. Both players are intolerably slow to load, you can't be sure if you're getting something more than conventional DD or DTS, and both produce very high quality results--when the disc eventually plays.

Nick

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gee Guys,What Will it take.This Player Does Not Do Dts-Ma.I have F/W 3.70 Loaded And A Sony 5300 Es Receiver And A Denon And No Dts Ma.Sony Will Not Kill Sales Of Their Upcoming Models That Feature Dts ma.If They Do Add it You Can bet It Will be Much Later After They Have Sold Their new Players That Are Forthcoming.I'am Pretty Sure They Will Release A New Es Player in Sept.Or October With Dts Ma As That Is When They Usually Release New Es Stuff.They Seem To Announce Their Es Stuff Towards The End of June.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'll test some dts-ma material later...but I can attest to the slightly sharper image with my ES player compared to the S1 & S500 players I've owned. Is it major? No, but it's noticeable. And...just throwing out there that it's not a placebo affect as I did some blind testing with my brother. Same settings all around. The ES is a tad sharper.

I also have the Sony "Pearl" 1080p projector on a 112 inch screen.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Am interested in this player. How is the bass management for the analog outputs? How does it do compared to the competition for upconverting standard DVD to 1080 p? I have unable to find an owner's manual on line.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
ES used to mean something. You got it in the obvious build quality, performance, and flexibility.

I originally owned the BDP-S1. It was a horrible alternative to DVD, until, of course, the requisite time passed and you began to see blu-ray. Too much time was spent.

Having bought long ago into the ES concept, this piece has been the worst endorsement of the ES moniker I've yet seen. It has zero improvement over the BDP-1, and all its problems. Yes, I bought one.

Blu-ray is stilll very much in its infancy, not merely in available titles, but in technology. For Sony to claim--and require substantially more money for--that the technology is advanced enough for them to be differentiating players with the "ES" brand, then I think Sony has, by defiinition, quitely redefined the word "elevated" to something like "ordinary." There's damage to be done by calling this an ES piece

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
And that is unfortunate. If it loaded as quick as the PS3 I would get one in a heartbeat. I would think they would somehow be able to make a stand alone that could match the PS3 in both picture Q and loading times as well as other features...

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 /forum/post/13986507

Am interested in this player. How is the bass management for the analog outputs? How does it do compared to the competition for upconverting standard DVD to 1080 p? I have unable to find an owner's manual on line.

Like to hear from someone who actually OWNS this player who has insight into its operation.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 /forum/post/13999941

Like to hear from someone who actually OWNS this player who has insight into its operation.

No need.

Just check out the BDP-S500 thread. Both units have identical chipsets and performance, thus the several comments about this unit not really being worthy of an ES unit other than a very slightly improved exterior case.

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
I think you will be far-fetched to find many people who own this one. It was overpriced and it clearly under achieves.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Again, these opinions are based on what? None of you apparently own or have used a 2000. Quality of construction and tighter tolerance of parts can make a significant difference in performance, especially on the audio side. Once again, I am interested in what an owner thinks of this player, not what those who have just read threads on other players think.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 /forum/post/14010496

Again, these opinions are based on what? None of you apparently own or have used a 2000. Quality of construction and tighter tolerance of parts can make a significant difference in performance, especially on the audio side. Once again, I am interested in what an owner thinks of this player, not what those who have just read threads on other players think.

You may have missed my earlier post. I do own one. I used to own the BDP-S1, and even owned the initial Samsung player.

The BDP-2000ES might indeed have better construction, but it is certainly not apparent in contrast to the BDP-S1. And there is zero, I repeat, zero, difference in either video or audio performance. The main gripe I have is that it makes no promises of firmware to decode the new MC formats, but other manufacturers are already annuncing them.

Again, this piece is not worthy of the ES designation, not as that designation has been given in the past to other, wonderful Sony products. I used to be (and to a small extent, still am) a huge Sony Fan. But if this is an indication of what they now mean by "ES," then we need a whole new vocabulary.

I don't even really blame Sony. It's probably the best they can build. The problem is that Blu-ray as a technology still has bad problems that need to be overcome, before it becomes anything more than the niche that it is. But Sony should recognize that and refrain from the ES designation just because they used a copper chassis that makes no difference at all.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've owned the S1, S500, & now the ES2000. On my Sony Pearl 1080p projector, I see a slightly sharper image with the ES player. Others have reported this as well. It also has been the fastest loading Sony player other than the PS3. I guess there are other factors that can render not seeing any difference too.

We did some blind testing to see & everyone in the room picked the ES player. These may share the same chipsets etc...but for those of us seeing a slight increase in image quality aren't making it up.

Build quality is top notch. Build quality is in a class by itself.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks Nick and Tim for your first hand experience, albeit at odds with each other.
I am hopeful that if I get a 2000, Sony will add DTS-HD Master as a firmware upgrade, but it is troubling that Sony has apparently made no commitment to do so, esp. at the list price of the 2000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought the BD2000ES. I used it to play CD's in my main stereo before taking it into the theater. It has wonderful resolution on CD playback besting my 3x more costly CD player.

Unfortunately, I have not replaced my projector yet with an HDMI compatible 1080p unit. Maybe next month. The picture on DVD is an improvement over my Sony 999ES DVD (after recalibrating my projector) and the sound is better too. I am using the analog outputs for the audio and the DAC is excellent. It does not output DTS-HD through the analog, only via HDMI. Are there any BDs available with DTS-HD yet? I have only one BD and it is Dolby TrueHD and sounds quite fine.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts