AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 684 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9
The replacement for the 770--Sony BDP-S780 blu-ray player has been released.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...07309#features

After a quick review, I don't see many differences/improvements over the 770. The only new feature I've noticed so far is the addition of Skype capability.

It also has super bit mapping which the S770 lacks. Whether this will translate into a better PQ over the S770 it remains to be seen...

By the way, I ordered one from Vann's last Friday and should be here by Wed. I will post comments once I play with it a little bit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just looked at the operating manual on Sony Style and like the S580, it looks like the S780 won't have build in internal memory either. I guess Sony had to cut cost somewhere...............

·
Registered
334 Posts
I e-mailed Vanns 2 days ago to ask the same question. Today, I got a response and yes you're right, the 780 does NOT have 1GB of internal memory. That's too bad.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, too bad but it doesn't bother me though since I don't ever use BD live and if I ever wanted to, I have a 4GB USB just in case.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did they drop the SACD capability in the 780, I don't see any mention of it in the specs on the SonyStyle site.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I should keep telling myself, "no more onboard storage". I guess leaving a USB stick in the back of the unit shouldn't be a big deal. At this point, I am really trying to stick with Sony, but I have considered buying the Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Reason I was thinking of switching brands is because of the picture drop outs some of us were having with the S570 and S770. I currently own the S350 and S570. I never had any major issues except for the picture drop outs that started occurring in early January 2011, however, this problems was solved by setting the HDMI Deep Color to OFF. I also owned the S770 for 1 month and loved the look and style of this player. DVD upconversion on the S770 was incredible, even better when compared with the S570! I returned it due to picture drop outs, not realizing that it was an issue with the firmware. What's odd is that it affected those of us that had the player connected via a/v receivers

Cortiz,

Do you know if the wireless card was downgraded from the S780? Someone on the S580 owner's thread said the 5 Ghz band was lost on the S580, but what about the S780?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have the 380 and it plays SACDs. I would imagine the 780 does as well. In fact, I am very impressed with its SACD playback over hdmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan /forum/post/20217719

Did they drop the SACD capability in the 780, I don't see any mention of it in the specs on the SonyStyle site.

·
Registered
614 Posts
"It also has super bit mapping which the S770 lacks. Whether this will translate into a better PQ over the S770 it remains to be seen..."

What is super bit mapping?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quick update....

I received the S780 today and hooked it up. Still playing with it. PQ and AQ is awesome as expected and loading times seems to be on par with the previous Sony models 70's series, perhaps a bit more faster. Booting time appears to be a bit slower then the old models, I didn't time it, but seems a bit slower. Not a big deal. However, the potential bad bews: As soon as I connected the player to the internet, it prompted me to update the firmware which I did ( I regret it). The firmware bug that appeared on the 70's model forcing the internet connection for BD live even thought you have the player set to " do not allow internet connecton" appears in the new models as well. So, long story short, the only way to play Machete is to remove the USB Memory stick from the player. However this trick is not a permanent solution because some movies like Starship Troopers requires that you have a memory stick/card connected to the player for it to play. So it would be annoying having to remove and connect a memory card depending on which movie you are going to watch. A pain in the ass. Still evaluating the player and will post more comments later if time permits.....Peace!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Cortiz,

Does the remote have back light. Keep us update on your evaluation of the S780

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking at the specs on Sony's web site, says I can connect to my PC to view photo's and video's. Would like to know how true this is and if it really works. I would grab this quick just to drop my apple tv and stream from my PC. Currently have a S360 but this would be sweet addition to my new 710 55 inch Sony I just got replaced from the green blob crap on my rear projection ordeal. Would appreciate if anyone has this try streaming a video (ripped from a DVD) from there PC. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz /forum/post/20227428

Yes, it does.

Correction, IT DOES NOT HAVE A BACKLIT REMOTE. My bad, I was looking at my old S770 remote which had a backlit remote.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe I read some of the buttons are those "glo" buttons, that don't glow much at all in a prolonged usage in a darkened room. I had a 770 and it failed last Thursday, what a coincidence, the "replacement" was on Sony's web site, so I'm waiting for it. My expectations are lowered as always. I just hope it works dependably. The 770 decided to make odd noises and finally spin down with "loading" flashing on screen, finally "cannot play this disc" or something like it. Any blu-ray. Dvd's did work. I got "replacement" coverage this time, obviously a requirement for anything of this ilk. I ordered it from SonyStyle on the 30th and it is still in status "ready for shipping" and "in progress." A rep said it would go out this morning. I can easily put in a USB drive for the insultingly poor "BD LIVE" - nice step backwards, Sony. I don't know what drives them to keep including BD Live since it's slow, awkward and few other things. I don't mean to be negative, and should have switched brands, but honestly, I think they're all about the same. When it worked, it had a great picture and fast response.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to reply to my own message, the 780 did not ship this morning as promised and I've been asked to give them until 2pm CST to find out why before I cancel and get another brand - the 780 is feature rich, but really, I wonder if it's 95% the same machine, whose reliability sure isn't proven to me. Any suggestions on another brand would be welcome. The 770 had a beautiful picture on both blu-ray and DVD's, and what I have read indicates Panasonic makes feature-rich players, but I have no idea of the dependability of the Panny.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh03 /forum/post/20241813

Just to reply to my own message, the 780 did not ship this morning as promised and I've been asked to give them until 2pm CST to find out why before I cancel and get another brand - the 780 is feature rich, but really, I wonder if it's 95% the same machine, whose reliability sure isn't proven to me. Any suggestions on another brand would be welcome. The 770 had a beautiful picture on both blu-ray and DVD's, and what I have read indicates Panasonic makes feature-rich players, but I have no idea of the dependability of the Panny.

I'm in the same boat you are. I wish I could stick with Sony products, I just don't like the fact they went backwards. I've seen the Sony 80 series blu ray players at my local Best Buy. It's obvious they're smaller, however, I don't know if smaller is better. Like you, I also owned the S770 for about 1 month before returning it for refund. I loved the construction of S770, it was definitely heavier than the newer Sony models. Recently, I've been looking at Panasonic blu ray players as well, more specifically, the Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Look at some of the customer feedback on Amazon.com. The majority are satified with the DMP-BDT210 player. One person says the player itself feels like a cheap dvd player, while another says the interface on Sony blu ray players is far better than the Panasonic. To be honest, I really can't make up my mind on which player to get, but it will be a pick between the Sony or Panasonic.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Guys, I've had the S780 for a few days now and I'm loving it. I have played quite a few movies the last few days and have not had any single issues. Yes, it does not have internal memory, yes it does not have a backlit remote, yes it kind of feels that Sony took a step backwards. But, the PQ and AQ on this player is Outstanding. Just as good or even better than the S770. I too had the S770 and I returned it yesterday and kept the S780. My advice is: be a little patience, and get the S780. You will not regret it. You can also buy it from Amazon, they also have it in stock from third parties, but the are backed by Amazon guarantee promise.

1 - 20 of 684 Posts