AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone pointed out, we really do need an official thread for these cams. I lumped 11/12 together since only difference is storage.


I should be receiving mine sometime this afternoon and will try and play around with it over the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I will be getting SR11 with the next few days.... if dell ever gets off thier lazy butt to send it to me. I will post a review once i do get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
I got the SR-11 at Best Buy (in Columbus Ohio) wednesday night. It's all good so far. Good to see the official thread get started.


I'm currently testing a 1 hour highest quality video using Nero Recode to prepare for youtube. Nero is able to import m2ts and I'm recoding 1920x1080 down to 320x240 using the Nero AVC profile. Should be pretty easy to go from camera to youtube using only one or two programs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got my SR11.. thing is TINY.. I LOVE how slick it looks.


ABT Gets my vote. I would imagine they should be able to match the $1000 for anyone who wants one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker /forum/post/13320502


I got the SR-11 at Best Buy (in Columbus Ohio) wednesday night. It's all good so far. Good to see the official thread get started.


I'm currently testing a 1 hour highest quality video using Nero Recode to prepare for youtube. Nero is able to import m2ts and I'm recoding 1920x1080 down to 320x240 using the Nero AVC profile. Should be pretty easy to go from camera to youtube using only one or two programs.

Wait..how did you already get an SR11 from BestBuy, when there website says its not even out yet? It still says its a pre-order item with a 3/10/08 ETA.-----> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8679815&type=product&id=1197678618882
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
I went looking for it on Tuesday and was told they were enroute. Went back Wednesday evening and they were pulling them off the truck. They didn't even have one on display. The sales guy said I got the first one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to suspect that the SR11/12 are going to be quite popular with consumers; It actually looks BIGGER online than in person.. its pretty small (and to think the Panasonic SD9 is even smaller!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm uploading my first clip to megaupload now. I'll post link in the morning probably.


I have no idea what compression settings or anything were done, but I did copy to USB and played back on PS3 with no problems.


I do agree that lack of light causes it to go grainy (as you will see in the video)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I went through all the specifications for these two models and my interest was dampened by a few things I found. In the first place, their pixels have only 40% as much size as those of the HC7/HC9. There is no choice of J-PEG encoding quality for still pictures. Unlike many models, there is no Fine mode, only an auto-adjusting Standard one. On Sony's DSC-H9 still camera, this elimination of Fine mode caused a significant drop in image quality and it showed artifacts from over-compression in many cases. Also, there is no intermediate pixel-size between 6-megapixels and 1.9 megapixels. At least one and preferably two other sizes, such as 3-MP and 4-MP should have been added. I don't imagine the extrapolated 10-MP images from its tiny pixels (5.7 MP of them), will be too great. I'd really like to be wrong about this, but I doubt that I am. True, it's a video camera, but I take stills just as much as video with mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD /forum/post/13324812


I don't imagine the extrapolated 10-MP images from its tiny pixels (5.7 MP of them), will be too great.

I would agree. Most likely it is just a waste of storage space to store images which are interpolated up to 10.2 MP. You can't add resolution via interpolation. I suspect that the "10.2 MP still images" is pure marketing hype. Hopefully the camera allows you to store images at the native sensor resolution, which is roughly 5.1 MP according to the specs on the sonystyle site. Frankly I don't see any reason to use any other resolution, you can always scale up/down off-camera if needed. Can somebody who owns the camera please confirm what still picture resolutions are offered?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
>> Can somebody who owns the camera please confirm what still picture resolutions are offered?


10.2 megapixel = 3680x2760

7.6 megapixel = 3680x2070
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD /forum/post/13324812


I went through all the specifications for these two models and my interest was dampened by a few things I found. In the first place, their pixels have only 40% as much size as those of the HC7/HC9. There is no choice of J-PEG encoding quality for still pictures. Unlike many models, there is no Fine mode, only an auto-adjusting Standard one. On Sony's DSC-H9 still camera, this elimination of Fine mode caused a significant drop in image quality and it showed artifacts from over-compression in many cases. Also, there is no intermediate pixel-size between 6-megapixels and 1.9 megapixels. At least one and preferably two other sizes, such as 3-MP and 4-MP should have been added. I don't imagine the extrapolated 10-MP images from its tiny pixels (5.7 MP of them), will be too great. I'd really like to be wrong about this, but I doubt that I am. True, it's a video camera, but I take stills just as much as video with mine.

I don't use my video cameras for still pix, but there are quality mode settings for video on the SR12. In fact, there are three quality settings for HD alone. At the highest quality setting, 16mbps, the video is truly excellent and to my eyes better than my HV20.


The other truly undeniable advantage of the Sonys is their viewfinder. For many people, not having a viewfinder is one of the biggest deal breaks there is. I can manage without one, but it's undeniably more professional and easier to have one.


It's no longer valid to simply compare sensor size and pixel size. Sony is using some very high end technology in their design to compensate for both sensor and pixel size and this tech is borrowed from their high end HD cams. The Exmor and Bionz processing does indeed live up to its promise. The picture is cleaner on the Sony than even my very clean HV20 picture.


I've learned at this point in the technology curve of AVCHD, it's wiser to see the picture than judge from the specs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow.. I just realized the clip I recorded was on the 3rd of 4 level on quality.. I imagine on full quality it will be even better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius /forum/post/13326905


Wow.. I just realized the clip I recorded was on the 3rd of 4 level on quality.. I imagine on full quality it will be even better!

Yup, I did the same thing!!! I was very impressed with the first clips I shot and then I realized I was at the LOWEST quality setting! I've yet to do an A/B/C test on the three quality settings, but since I'm a purist I'd tend to use only the highest quality setting. Since the SR12 has over 14 hours of HD storage at the highest quality, I'm not too conerned about space...and then there's still the memory stick storage too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,717 Posts
Tgenius, I just watched your clip and I see more noise in your dark rooms than I've noticed on mine. That might be a function of your 'quality' setting. Of course it's tough to say since I don't know what the light levels were in the dark rooms you shot in. It may just be that the rooms I've shot in are not that dark. But in reasonable light, I think your clips hint at how sharp the cam can be.


The low light performance of the Panasonic SD9 is so bad, it's got to be seen to be believed. The sharpness goes to sub-VHS levels and that in itself is a deal-break. The SR12 maintains the sharpness as does the HV20.


One thing I've seen thus far, the low light of the SR12 appears to be a bit better than the HV20...and that's not bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I played back that clip on my PS3 and it looked pretty sharp (especially the kitchen shots)


I have set it to the highest level but won't do any recording for a bit today.


I also finally got Vegas Pro, but it sure looks confusing! Any good books/tutorials of how to use it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,717 Posts
Not sure about tutuorials with Vegas. I downloaded the trial version the other day since I heard it is AVCHD friendly. My disappointment was (assuming I haven't overlooked something), is that it doesn't export in 1920X1080. The highest export setting I saw in AVCHD was 1440X1080. You also take a small bitrate hit since the highest bitrate in Vegas is 15mbps.


Frankly those concessions are a bit of a turn off for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was that Vegas or Vegas Pro? I have Vegas Pro.


What other software supports 1920 and the easiest to use?
 
1 - 20 of 3106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top