AVS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 15767 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder /forum/post/20451059


Does anyone know where i can get the 55" for under MSRP. I cancelled my pre order with crutchfield this mourning. I live near chicago and ABT will charge me tax. I do not trust amazon to ship this and arrive unscathed.

Have you even called Abt and talked to a salesperson? They will give a good price below MSRP. Yeah you'll pay tax but you will get free delivery from their truck and they will set it up where you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder /forum/post/20451059


Does anyone know where i can get the 55" for under MSRP. I cancelled my pre order with crutchfield this mourning. I live near chicago and ABT will charge me tax. I do not trust amazon to ship this and arrive unscathed.


No offense but if you live iin the Chicago area and don't get a price quote from Abt in person (preferably) or online before any other place you'd be foolish.


My second choice would be Amazon then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder /forum/post/20452062


I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.

Bigger TVs come freight and not subjected to a UPS/Fedex beating. If something happens Amazon will ship around one out right away. The 55D8000 I ordered from them had no damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 /forum/post/20451140


Plus a slight brightness/contrast calibration would go a long way



How impressed are you thou? what tv are you gonna be replacing?

Its replacing my XBR 7 which looks obese next to this svelte thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot /forum/post/20452116


No offense but if you live iin the Chicago area and don't get a price quote from Abt in person (preferably) or online before any other place you'd be foolish.


My second choice would be Amazon then.

I really appreciate all the feedback. This forum is great,i'm glad i discovered it.I am working with cleveland plasma right now and if for some reason that does'nt work out i'll try calling abt. I have always owned sony tv's and ive got a real woody over this set.Almost bought the 909 but decided to wait. I was really impressed with the 909. My buddy has had the d8000 for about a month now.I think it's a step backwards for samsung pq wise but my friend thinks it's awesome so i did not share my honest opinion.I did suggest he have it calibrated.Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk /forum/post/20452175


Still not one single solitary official online review of the HX929?

Wow!

to be honest with you, it's freaking crazy to rely on any reviews now a days.. seems like every website has some kind of bias.


If the owner likes Samsung he's gonna find something wrong with every other brand. If the owner likes Sony he's gonna hate on every other brand.


Even Cnet said last year on their 909 review that "for the price, the PQ is not good enough" I understand that the 909 might've been a little too expensive but how about a review about the PQ compared to OTHER TVs instead of the price. I'm definitely not rich but please give an honest review, I live in a 1br apt but ultimately we care about the best out there don't we.


Thankfully Sony brought the price down this year which is the reason why I can actually can afford a bravia, so lets hope people keep that in mind before they judge image quality against itself instead of price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 /forum/post/20449718


It's good to hear all opinions because that is the only way (sometimes) to know if you have a TV that doesn't live up to the rest.


You seem to know what you're talking about but someone else had a review like yours that was very unhappy with the blooming just to come back 2 days later and say that the Intelligent Peak was turned off and when he turned it on he was blown away at how there was no blooming and his whole review was the opposite of what he had said.


One last thing, even thou I agree that companies should sell TVs better calibrated I think that there should be at least some basic contrast/brightness calibration and going thru some of the tv's "special" features before we post our "first reviews".


Still i appreciate people reporting this tv's strengths and weaknesses. I'll be reporting my thoughts hopefully later this week when mine arrives.

How do you turn on intelligent peak? Sorry if sounds like a stupid question but I cant find this setting (probably looking in the wrong place) I'm guessing it's a combination of LED Dynamic Control and Auto Light Limiter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Been playing around and this sets picture quality is just superb. Hopefully people can post some calibrated settings to help us get a rough idea where to start. Like Dennis, I cant find the "Intelligent Peak" yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder /forum/post/20452062


I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.

not to go too off topic but I'm surprised it wasn't delivered by one of their trucks. Did u just order online? I'll be surprised if I even see the box on Sat, they usually have it all ready to bring right in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonk /forum/post/20452661

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1105131065.htm


This is for the european model, but it says the d8000 has input lag of 33ms, alot lower than 48ms or whatever the hx929 had.

And where did you find your numbers about the HX929?


So because a guy posted somewhere some numbers coming from Guitare Hero or whatever "game calibration", it's the new reference? I hope not and wait for the professionnal benchmark tools you used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/20452587


I just had the chance to play with the new HX929 next to my XBR8.


The XBR8 still have better color.


I will wait for the new upcoming successor to the XBR8 with the new RGB-LED Backlight.


Here some pictures of the Next Gen "Triluminos" backlight shown at SID 2010

(Scroll down a bit you will see the post by rgb32)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71392&page=158

I don't think there will be any new "RGB-LED" backlight LCD TVs from Sony in the future , they are too expensive and only very few people will buy them , that's not what Sony wants.


And I believe some people would argue that their HX909 / HX929 have more accurate color.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear /forum/post/20452823


I don't think there will be any new "RGB-LED" backlight LCD TVs from Sony in the future , they are too expensive and only very few people will buy them , that's not what Sony wants.


And I believe some people would argue that their HX909 / HX929 have more accurate color.

One thing is for sure, the 909/929 destroy the XBR8 for blacks and overall contrast, and motion. XBR8 still might be ahead of them for color because of the RGB LED but thats all it has on them IMO.


RGB LED is most likely not coming back. XBR8 sold for $7k...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonk /forum/post/20452661

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1105131065.htm


This is for the european model, but it says the d8000 has input lag of 33ms, alot lower than 48ms or whatever the hx929 had.

It was measured at 48ms with local dimming on low. With LD turned off its very likely to be around 30ms, similar to the 909.


And you will get that without the crap banding and uniformity issues found on the chrome Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/20452587


I just had the chance to play with the new HX929 next to my XBR8.

The XBR8 still have better color.

How you quantify this? Do you have calibration data for both sets? These questions arise since theoretically the XBR8 might have better color but this should be separated from errors due to the settings and calibration.

It would be good to know then both the differences from calibration data and subjective descriptions of color differences on critical content, e.g. face skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/20452587


I will wait for the new upcoming successor to the XBR8 with the new RGB-LED Backlight.

It is very, very unlikely something like that will appear. Sony is winding down its manuf biznes. The TV area is driven by relentless cost competition and thus the trend is to move away from anything which adds cost but does not bring consumer attention. Consumers think PQ is now good enough and they are attracted to thin sets, thus the trend is away from full array locdim to edge lit, not even mentioning the RGB backlight .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfedai0 /forum/post/20452378


Been playing around and this sets picture quality is just superb. Hopefully people can post some calibrated settings to help us get a rough idea where to start. Like Dennis, I cant find the "Intelligent Peak" yet?

That's what Sony calls its local dimming, sorry for the confusion.



But someone had this setting on off. Should be on standard if i'm not mistaken
 
1261 - 1280 of 15767 Posts
Top