AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 4673 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteveLA /forum/post/18010808

UGH. What to do, what to do??? I still have a week or so left to return my 52v5100 to BB and try another TV (possibly the Samsung LN55B640 for $100 more, or the LG 55LH40 for the same retail price). The red flash does bug me a bit (only notice it on certain movies/TV shows when I'm looking for it), but the it seems like there isn't a "perfect HDTV" at this price point. Reading reviews and complaints, every TV has its own unique quirks.

What do you guys think I should do? Would love to hear your sage advice.

I would return it and upgrade to a Bravia 3 series model: W, Z , or XBR9. If you are okay with a glossy screen, then the 640/650/750 Samsung models are worth considering as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short version: Last week, Sony America R&D asked me to test a prototype firmware patch (via USB) they developed in mid-December to correct the red flashing/ intermittent color fluctuations/ flickering on my KDL-46V5100.

After installing the firmware update, I am happy to report my TV now is red flash free!

A few days from this post, if you have the red flashing issue with your TV, call Sony support and request the Dec 2009 firmware patch for the V5100 to address the problem with the problem of intermittent red flashing/flickering.

Longer version: Did you know that 1.25 million people own a V5100 but only a few dozen have called Sony to complain of the red flash issue. I have to admit, I only noticed about 10% of the time. However, when it happened to those who noticed to see the flickering, it was horrible.

Over the last few months, two different Sony service techs have replaced the motherboards to fix the red flash issue. Both times it did not work. Following the second tech firm visit in early January, the tech firm forwarded a detailed email from me to Sony America explaining my dilemma.

Late last week, the Sony called and asked if I was willing to use my V5100 to test a prototype firmware patch. I agreed. After I installed it, all the programs that I had recorded or DVDs that had the intermittent color fluctuation no longer did it! It does not matter what input, cables, or video source I use. The picture is now outstanding.

Bottom Line: This call option will be put into place in a few days from the date of this post. The Sony call center is being notified that if someone calls on this issue, they will provide you this software if requested for a problem of intermittent red flashing/flickering. If there is a special needs person, Sony will arrange for a tech to come out. So call Sony and describe your intermittent red flashing/flickering and a software update for this will be placed on a USB and shipped to your residence. Sony said this patch would NOT be available on the Sony eSupport website.

BTW: Sony R&D just completed this firmware update in December 2009, so they noticed it too. How they heard about it, I do not know. However, they apparently paid attention to a few of us. You really cannot blame them that it was not a high priority since only 0.003% of V5100 owners actually called Sony complaining about it.

So folks who purchased the V5100 during the clearance sales in late Nov and Dec very likely have the red flash, but just haven't noticed it yet.

I think this firmware may likely address the red flash issue in the S5100 and VE5 series too.

Thanks to Sony for ultimately listening. Now all you have to do is call later this week and ask for the firmware update for the problem of intermittent red flashing/ flickering.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBee /forum/post/18011757

Short version: Last week, Sony America R&D asked me to test a prototype firmware patch (via USB) they developed in mid-December to correct the red flashing/ intermittent color fluctuations/ flickering on my KDL-46V5100.

After installing the firmware update, I am happy to report my TV now is red flash free!

A few days from this post, if you have the red flashing issue with your TV, call Sony support and request the Dec 2009 firmware patch for the V5100 to address the problem with the problem of intermittent red flashing/flickering.

Longer version: Did you know that 1.25 million people own a V5100 but only a few dozen have called Sony to complain of the red flash issue. I have to admit, I only noticed about 10% of the time. However, when it happened to those who noticed to see the flickering, it was horrible.

Over the last few months, two different Sony service techs have replaced the motherboards to fix the red flash issue. Both times it did not work. Following the second tech firm visit in early January, the tech firm forwarded a detailed email from me to Sony America explaining my dilemma.

Late last week, the Sony called and asked if I was willing to use my V5100 to test a prototype firmware patch. I agreed. After I installed it, all the programs that I had recorded or DVDs that had the intermittent color fluctuation no longer did it! It does not matter what input, cables, or video source I use. The picture is now outstanding.

Bottom Line: This call option will be put into place in a few days from the date of this post. The Sony call center is being notified that if someone calls on this issue, they will provide you this software if requested for a problem of intermittent red flashing/flickering. If there is a special needs person, Sony will arrange for a tech to come out. So call Sony and describe your intermittent red flashing/flickering and a software update for this will be placed on a USB and shipped to your residence. Sony said this patch would NOT be available on the Sony eSupport website.

BTW: Sony R&D just completed this firmware update in December 2009, so they noticed it too. How they heard about it, I do not know. However, they apparently paid attention to a few of us. You really cannot blame them that it was not a high priority since only 0.003% of V5100 owners actually called Sony complaining about it.

So folks who purchased the V5100 during the clearance sales in late Nov and Dec very likely have the red flash, but just haven't noticed it yet.

I think this firmware may likely address the red flash issue in the S5100 and VE5 series too.

Thanks to Sony for ultimately listening. Now all you have to do is call later this week and ask for the firmware update for the problem of intermittent red flashing/ flickering.

This is great news... I have the S5100 series, so I hope this new firmware update corrects my set.

BTW, do you happen to know the new firmware version?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteveLA /forum/post/18010808

UGH. What to do, what to do??? I still have a week or so left to return my 52v5100 to BB and try another TV

To me the issue is not the relative quality (or not) of the TV, its the quality of the warranty and poor service. Personally, I'm completely done with Sony products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coincidentally, just before seeing JohnnieBee's post, I called Sony Tech Support and went through all the song & dance to see what my options were before taking the TV back to BB. I even happened to ask if there was a firmware update. My guy said something like, "No. There is no new software at this time." I'm going to hold off on the return and hope that JohnnieBee isn't just messing with my emotions!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find this very positive news that they have a solution for this problem. It's unfortunate many of you had to wait so long for this but if this indeed is available then I think Sony has done a good job in getting this out to the customer.

I will withhold final judgment until I get mine fixed but this sounds better than a month ago when I first noticed this problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have a 4 inch transparent bar going down the middle of my kdl-52vl150?

Also, can someone tell me whats the deal with sony model kdl-52vl150, how come its so hard to find and why doesnt this tv have any firmware updates.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm very happy to hear the Sony is addressing this problem, although I'm stunned that only a handful of users noticed the red flashlighting issue.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
What about the audio dropouts???

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's awesome that they've developed a patch. I've had my set since June but haven't really noticed the redflashing...until last night. I was watching a hockey broadcast on RDS and low and behold there it was. I was very unhappy, the TV was not cheap when I bought it. I'll wait a couple of days and call in and get the firmware ... this is fantastic news.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well hopefully we are not too far from getting the update as an official posting on the support site. If not, I'd settle for a megaupload link.

·
Registered
345 Posts
JohnnieBee, excellent post. Thanks for going to the time and trouble with this and then to come back here and tell others about it. We appreciate that. Before I contact them I'm curious about the firmware patch. If I remember correctly, there is a warning about firmware updates possibly screwing things up and then what? I applied the first two firmware updates without a problem but I wonder what would happen if this one messed things up. Did Sony and you discuss that before you applied the patch?

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 /forum/post/18012583

i have a 4 inch transparent bar going down the middle of my kdl-52vl150?

Also, can someone tell me whats the deal with sony model kdl-52vl150, how come its so hard to find and why doesnt this tv have any firmware updates.

hello, can anyone help me? please, why is everyone ignoring my question? my problem is worst than the flashing red color.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have an update..I am soooo pissed at Sony! Back in July of last year we purchased the 52V5100 from Dell...we had to send the first one back in August and Dell sent a replacement but never updated the receipt...so all we had is the original! Back in September of last year we started to notice after a firmware update, whenever I would change the source of viewing, a bright green screen would appear before my receiver synced...We called Sony and they said to wait for a call with information on a company that would be local to use to come out and take a gander...3 weeks went by and no call...called Sony back and they contacted a company while I was on hold. We live in a rural part of Illinois and the closest place was in Evansville Indiana which is 1 1/2 hrs away. Talked to the service tech for the company and after informing him of our issues said they would call back to schedule a appointment. After Thanksgiving, I called Sony since I didn't hear anything! They said they would contact the company and would give us a call back! No call...finally, after the holidays my wife and I were very frustrated...I called in January, and by this time with the wait request we got from Sony, the 30 return had way expired! We were told that the company they set us up with doesn't service our area! Then were told to get a copy of the receipt from Dell and to fax it to Sony and they would work something out! We did, but the receipt we asked Dell for was the original and Dell couldn't find any information on the exchange (%^#[email protected]*&)....We were told by Sony that they would send a new or refurbished V5100 to use and I told them I didn't want a refurbished unti since I bought mine new and it was Sony's fault we had to wait for their tech crappola so we couldn't return the V5100!

I get a call a week later from a shipper who informed me they were wanting to schedule a time to deliver the new V5100...the shipper even warned me it might be new or refurbished which is odd but then I got to thinking and I am sure Sony has sent refurbished units out to people that didn't or shouldn't of gotten them! I told the shipper if it was indeed a refurbed unti it would have to be sent back, and since they were not local to us...she said she would call Sony as wel as I did...it WAS a refurbished unit! I told them not to bother! I got escalated higher up the food chain at Sony and was told since the updated info from Dell on the exchange couldn't be found we were stuck with a refurbed unit! I informed them it was off to the BBB and possibly before a Magistrate...I get a call a week later from Sony and made a offer...I could either take a refurbished unit or I could upgrade to the VE5 for 1000.00 more....those SOB's...I paid 1700.00 from Dell and the VE5 I see goes for approximately 1500.00 on the web...I told them to stick it where the light don't shine! I made a complaint with the BBB last week...I get a email from Sony saying they were wanting to send the refurbed unit out and that I approved it.....I didn't respond but I have had Sony products since the early 1970s...I even worked for a company in Chicago that setup mass media and convention shows throughout the Chicago area...I was in charge of the purchasing and every monitor we bought was a Sony...we use to go through 10 TV's a month through ABT TV...I made Sony some money! I will NEVER buy another Sony product again...they are inconsiderate so an dso's and very unprofessional! To shake off customers and give them the run around is just plain bad for buisness! I am now on a crusade...I would rather see that 1000.00 go for legall costs than give it to those scammers!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Killa...That is not a good thing...return it if you can or call Sony and give them the buisness!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 /forum/post/18013851

hello, can anyone help me? please, why is everyone ignoring my question? my problem is worst than the flashing red color.

Definitely call Sony for this. I don't think anyone here will be able to help you on this.

FYI the reason most people are ignoring your question is that they're elated that there is a possible fix for the red flashing issue which has plagued us for months.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-0101 /forum/post/18013922

Definitely call Sony for this. I don't think anyone here will be able to help you on this.

FYI the reason most people are ignoring your question is that they're elated that there is a possible fix for the red flashing issue which has plagued us for months.

oh okay thanks

2801 - 2820 of 4673 Posts