AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 4673 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandM /forum/post/18066773


And pay the restocking fee? Is swapping the board risky?

Every person who has had a tech out to their house has had their board replaced, and every single one of them has reported that it made absolutely no difference. While it may not be risky, most people would see it as a complete waste of your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18066839

Disregard, Coolowl, already responded.


I think coolowl meant that waiting around for Sony to provide a fix was risky, not replacing the board. I had my board replaced and it did nothing. As you have probably noticed from reading the forum, Sony's customer service, if you can even call it that, is horrendous, so if you can divorce yourself from the Sony brand, you may be better off in the long run.


I'm surprised that they would charge you a restocking fee to return a defective display, and especially if you are re-purchasing another tv with them.


It appears that the consumer is not the only ones having a problem with Sony, but perhaps the retailers as well.


Personally, I would pay the retocking fee of 10%, take my money to another retailer with a more liberal return policy, and buy a plasma. Panasonic has a superb customer service department.

Do you think this issue affects all Bravia 2 engine models? Just thinking about the new 55" EX model, but it is built using the Bravia 2 engine. I know crazy to think about another Sony, but they all can't be bad can they?


Does the Panasonic Plasma work in a bright room? What about reflections?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 /forum/post/18066932


Do you think this issue affects all Bravia 2 engine models? Just thinking about the new 55" EX model, but it is built using the Bravia 2 engine. I know crazy to think about another Sony, but they all can't be bad can they?


Does the Panasonic Plasma work in a bright room? What about reflections?


Thanks.

I'm not really sure. From viewing the X5100 and Z5100 series threads (Bravia 3 engines), I haven't seen any complaints of red flashing. But it could be some componant within the V5100 series other than the Bravia 2 engine that is causing the problem. I have no way of knowing what the story is with the EX model.


Plasmas can work in a bright rooms, granted they are shinier and tend to yield more reflections, however, if you can control the lighting so it's not directly on the screen, it shouldn't be a problem.


My Panasonic plasma is in my living room, with 8ft x 5ft four panel casement windows (on south side of the house) to the left of the screen. As long as I turn the verticals so the light is not shining directly on the screen, it's ok.


My Sony is in my den, which has the same southern exposure, but in addition to the 8 ft x 5 ft windows, has 4 ft x 4 ft windows behind the couch, which I thought may cause a reflection problem, so I went with a Sony LCD. Turns out, 90% of the den viewing is in the evening, and I could have just shut the vertical blinds. I still regret not buying another plasma for that room. Don't get me wrong, the Sony produces a beautiful picture, just too many issues for my taste. If I could do it over again, I would have without hesitation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18067071


I'm not really sure. From viewing the X5100 and Z5100 series threads (Bravia 3 engines), I haven't seen any complaints of red flashing. But it could be some componant within the V5100 series other than the Bravia 2 engine that is causing the problem. I have no way of knowing what the story is with the EX model.


Plasmas can work in a bright rooms, granted they are shinier and tend to yield more reflections, however, if you can control the lighting so it's not directly on the screen, it shouldn't be a problem.


My Panasonic plasma is in my living room, with 8ft x 5ft four panel casement windows (on south side of the house) to the left of the screen. As long as I turn the verticals so the light is not shining directly on the screen, it's ok.


My Sony is in my den, which has the same southern exposure, but in addition to the 8 ft x 5 ft windows, has 4 ft x 4 ft windows behind the couch, which I thought may cause a reflection problem, so I went with a Sony LCD. Turns out, 90% of the den viewing is in the evening, and I could have just shut the vertical blinds. I still regret not buying another plasma for that room. Don't get me wrong, the sony produces a beautiful picture, just too many issues for my taste. If I could do it over again, I would have without hesitation.

The TV in our family room goes in a corner on the window side of the room. There is no direct light on the TV.

We watch from the couch on the other side. The wall behind us is white and has pictures hanging on the wall. Do you think the reflection would be bad in daylight (for example show the pictures like in a mirror?) The Sony at least reflects only at night time the lights by the couch. Though you do not see the outline of the lights, it is spread out.


Last question on a replacement I hope. Still waiting out my 30 day period on the 55V5100.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
My TV is also in the corner with a window on both sides. I don't have glare problems. I purposely went with a matte surface TV because I thought it might be trouble. I'm pleased with the results. Of course, every room is different. Even with my two windows the sun never shines directly through them....so yours could be different.


Gee, the longer I wrote the more wishy-washy the answer became.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl /forum/post/18067233


My TV is also in the corner with a window on both sides. I don't have glare problems. I purposely went with a matte surface TV because I thought it might be trouble. I'm pleased with the results. Of course, every room is different. Even with my two windows the sun never shines directly through them....so yours could be different.


Gee, the longer I wrote the more wishy-washy the answer became.

Well, that helps a little bit. Was just looking at Sony's competition (Panasonic Viera Plasma 58"). Looks nice. It does has a anti-reflective filter I guess. May be the answer to my 55V5100 issues
They are on sale now waiting for the new models. Anyone from Sony reading this? We are getting upset and moving to other brands. Fix our V5100's TV's!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Hi all. Finally pulled the plug on the sony. Told bb to come pick up the pos. Bought an LG55 at HH Gregg. Couldn't be happier. Problem solved. Good luck to all who can't return.


This was actually my 2nd disaster with sony. Years ago same crap. Never sony again. They are too big to give a crap...and they know it. With all the extended warranties out there, why would they care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
How do the low-def channels look on those other TV's? I really think the low def channels look best on the Sony.


Hmmmmm...Plasma....I am right back to where I was when I bought this TV
CRAP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Oh...also...I bought this at a local store and they are going to charge the 10% restocking fee. Is this uncommon? I thought BB had the same policy? No?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandM /forum/post/18067478


Oh...also...I bought this at a local store and they are going to charge the 10% restocking fee. Is this uncommon? I thought BB had the same policy? No?

I don't believe Best Buy charges a restocking fee for the exchange of defective TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandM /forum/post/18067478


Oh...also...I bought this at a local store and they are going to charge the 10% restocking fee. Is this uncommon? I thought BB had the same policy? No?

I would think also there should be no re-stocking fee on a defective unit. Where I bought mine I can return within 30 days if defective with no re-stocking fee. Not sure if there is a time limit at other places also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Well I am getting the complete run around right now from the place I purchased. They are claiming that since there is a repair policy, there is no need to take the TV back (defective or not). They are also claiming that BB has a 15 day policy and they do charge a restock fee. The girl also tried to make me feel good by saying that she negotiated the restock fee down from 20% to 10%...GEEE THANKS! I really thought this place was better than that...this woman on the phone infuriates me. She is being condecending....


Today is my 30th day...so I am out of time. I guess I am going to suck it up, and *****, *****, *****...if the fix doesn't work...I'll have someone out at my house weekly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandM /forum/post/18067666


Well I am getting the complete run around right now from the place I purchased. They are claiming that since there is a repair policy, there is no need to take the TV back (defective or not). They are also claiming that BB has a 15 day policy and they do charge a restock fee. The girl also tried to make me feel good by saying that she negotiated the restock fee down from 20% to 10%...GEEE THANKS! I really thought this place was better than that...this woman on the phone infuriates me. She is being condecending....


Today is my 30th day...so I am out of time. I guess I am going to suck it up, and *****, ***** *****...if the fix doesn't work...I'll have someone out at my house weekly.

There was supposed to be a red flash fix coming out, but who knows, Sony has a habit of ignoring problems and playing (?) dumb. And then there are the other problems, such as audio drops, flashlighting, clouding, etc, which I haven't heard of any planned fixes for.


If it were me, I'd call her back and ask her if they'd waive the restocking fee if you returned it and purchased another tv from them. If not, I'd suck it up,

pay the $96 restocking fee, and buy ANOTHER BRAND...SOMEWHERE ELSE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Here's what my local electronics' store told me today when I contacted them about this model - Of the 103 V5100s we've sold you are the first person to report a problem. Sound familiar? I guess we on this forum are simply the ones who complain.


If this is any kind of true representation across the board, its no wonder Sony turns a deaf ear. In their mind, 99% of the owners are satisfied. "It's just that lousy 1% of people who are never happy."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'm new to this consumer support project called the Bravia V series. dsskid, thanks for your advice. I'll try the avenues you've mentioned by calling another number and pleading to talk to a customer service rep that will understand the issues we're dealing with and advise with more quality service and responsibility.


I am very calm and concise when I speak to customer service reps, since they're people too. The problem is they do not pay attention to what you are saying and incapable of interacting in a conversation.


After calling Sony service four times, I finally got someone who listened to what I was saying and instead of providing phone numbers for service centers that refused to come to my home in the southeastern Pennsylvania suburbs (hardly a rural area), he schedule a service for me with someone and gave me a time/date. It shouldn't take four phone calls to do something so simple. There is a serious problem with their support training and they should be calmly made aware of it.


I'm going to DVR Colbert Report episodes and Superbowl pre-game and half-time shows on CBS, which has a bright blue background. I've also the flicker during the NFL season.


I'm considering printing pages from this forum describing the problem and seemingly failing solution attempts to show the tech when he arrives.


My service appointment is on Feb 16. If it is unsuccessful (which seems to be likely), I will proceed to Sony in NY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
So I am new to this forum, but having the same red flashing issues as everyone else with my KDL-46v5100. I have been calling tech support, and of course, they give me the run around and say they are not aware of the problem and a technician needs to be sent out for repair. I refused to pay for a repair because the TV is only 3 months old. Looking for a fix or update, I found this thread saying to call the Consumer Relations department.


So I finally called the CR number on Sony's homepage. I started explaining the red flash problem to the CR guy, and guess what, he said they are actually fully aware of the problem! He told me a there was a firmware update created in December of 2009 to fix this and they will be shipping it to me on a USB drive. I asked him why they just don't post the update on the support site for the tv to solve everyone's problem. He said that the problem is such an isolated issue on units, they don't want everyone downloading the update and installing it. Of course I told him a lot more people are experiencing this issue than they think and they should post it online. I think a lot of people are just not calling Sony about this (or not calling the right people, because tech support told me they've never heard of the problem) or people think it is not a huge enough issue on their tv's (my wife says she can't even see the red flash problem, but it drives me nuts on certain channels). I specifically told the CR guy my set has the latest firmware (the download on their support page) and he assured me that what they are shipping me is a newer version than online. I also asked him what version number the new firmware update is, and he was unable to tell me. So, I will see in 8-10 days when the USB drive comes. Until then, my fingers are crossed they send me something new that works. I will keep you posted when I get the update. Personally, I would suggest calling Sony Consumer Relations and see if you can get the update, because bottom line, the guy told me there is a problem and there is an update, it's just not available unless you call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
littleollieman, were you given a case number? If so, can you post it here for others to reference when calling? Also, what is the CR number you called? There's been a lot of numbers listed, and I just can't keep them straight anymore. Thanks in advance for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Sure, here is the number I called:


1-239-768-7547


Follow the voice promoting to get in the tv relations department (can't remember the exact numbers I pushed, but I was guided there easily).


I really don't want to give out my personal reference number from my call, because that is a number for my personal case only and wouldn't help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
littleollieman,

Did they acknowledge the sound drop out issue, or was this fix specific to the flashing issue?


Thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Using the number littleollieman referenced, I got the same runaround of them never having heard of the red flashing issue before, stating there is no newer firmware than the August 2009 version, and that all they will do for me is set up a tech to come out. This is why I wanted a reference number to refer to, as the reference number is a case where they are acknowledging the issue, and something I can point to when the support rep I get stuck with claims ignorance of never having heard of the issue before.
 
2961 - 2980 of 4673 Posts
Top