AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 4673 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterforever /forum/post/18101880

Hey Siege06nd,

Just sent a PM to you yesterday regarding the firmware update. Hope you received it and hope to hear back from Gary at Sony soon. Hopefully this nightmare is over with this LCD. Thanks for everything.

Note that Gary is out of the office today, so those still waiting should hopefully see e-mails tomorrow. I believe siege said he was collecting e-mails and to try to get them to him by EOB today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the update steve-0101. Let's see how long it takes Sony to post the new firmware update on their website. I am not holding my breath it will be anytime soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentfresh /forum/post/18101764

They constantly lie to us, why wouldn't they lie to him too?

Ugh, this is not a great mentality. Sony is a huge corporation with hundred of products in several different markets. Our issue is very specific, likely not widely complained about and the the file we're requesting is not even publicly available yet. The CS agents you're talking to on the phone are not LYING to you, they're simply not aware of the situation or software we're talking about.

The internal processes of a company this size are not lightning-fast. They're disseminating information through a huge chain of people, so it is not unthinkable that the right hand (engineering) has not spoken to the left (CS agents) at this point. As I mentioned before, this firmware is still a PROTOTYPE. To be honest, I'm blown away that we're able to contact "Gary" and get the fix - this sort of direct response is a rarity these days. Keep in mind, if suddenly this firmware got out to the larger population without specific Sony approval and started bricking a few TVs, our friend "Gary" might end up in quite a bit of trouble for bypassing Sony internal practices - so needless to say I'm very appreciative of his effort so far.

Anyway, all this to say that the claim that Sony is lying is just bad logic. Clearly this is just a case of information not being passed down the chain, likely because this firmware is still in its infancy stage.

Bryan

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachande18 /forum/post/18102024

Ugh, this is not a great mentality. Sony is a huge corporation with hundred of products in several different markets. Our issue is very specific, likely not widely complained about and the the file we're requesting is not even publicly available yet. The CS agents you're talking to on the phone are not LYING to you, they're simply not aware of the situation or software we're talking about.

The internal processes of a company this size are not lightning-fast. They're disseminating information through a huge chain of people, so it is not unthinkable that the right hand (engineering) has not spoken to the left (CS agents) at this point. As I mentioned before, this firmware is still a PROTOTYPE. To be honest, I'm blown away that we're able to contact "Gary" and get the fix - this sort of direct response is a rarity these days. Keep in mind, if suddenly this firmware got out to the larger population without specific Sony approval and started bricking a few TVs, our friend "Gary" might end up in quite a bit of trouble for bypassing Sony internal practices - so needless to say I'm very appreciative of his effort so far.

Anyway, all this to say that the claim that Sony is lying is just bad logic. Clearly this is just a case of information not being passed down the chain, likely because this firmware is still in its infancy stage.

Bryan

Well said.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since I have installed the update on my tv and love the results, I've gone ahead and created a box.net sharing space to house the update files for your downloading pleasure.

**These files are only for the KDL-46V5100. If you do not have this model, do not download these files. It has the pdf instructions as well as the zip file you'll need to extract. Please note: I am not responsible for any errors. This is at your own risk**

These are the same files I installed and they worked just fine. If you'd rather wait for Sony, by all means do so. You've probably seen me on this message board quite a bit, so I am somebody you can trust. I'll leave it up to you. Enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/26ecup9yzz

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dibrom

Xchair

smileynev01

LCDviewer1

gasganox

wildmuth

guy17409

urabob

mrdjman

gsbritton

cdub998

mknmuzic

jothoton

dachande18

mitch968

desmonsm

PropheticDoom

gold_digger

jwshurtl

NYY64

StickyMU

puffcard

bskousen

StuBerger

Wallet Boy

Otis52

amdriven2liv

Acuramusic42

debugger919

JASK0

diazfrys

afterforever

lou99

March47

fidoprincess

TaxiTom

Timeless240

kmh510

Wajo357

mlbdude

Ultrasmooth

serialmike

Tom Banjo

lunchman77

jdogg69

AareDub

james039

gar1138

chopper10

wadohh

These are the users who I will be including in my email tonight. I've got everyone who has emailed me on either this list or the one I sent yesterday. Please send me your info by COB (5pm EST) if you'd like to be included on this final list to Gary. After that, you'll either have to contact Sony yourselves or rely upon us sharing firmware (which may or may not be risky).

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Now that the red flashing is fixed I think that I will be picking up a 52v5100, now I just have to find a place that actually has them in stock for a decent Price. (so far all I have found is Sears for nearly 2k and Walmart for 500 less, Amazon only has third party vendors that carry it for now with no return policy)

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGaucho /forum/post/18102114

Enjoy.

Thanks JJ. I'll probably wait for the file from Gary (just in case there's some regional difference between my model from Canada and yours), but I'll download this just in case, for whatever reason, I'm not able to get in touch with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege06nd /forum/post/18102271

These are the users who I will be including in my email tonight.

Again, much appreciated siege. You've made a large group of enthusiasts very happy.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachande18 /forum/post/18102024

Bryan

That is very well said, and maybe lying was not the right word to use. I completely understand what a huge chain tech support can be (I've worked in the industry myself in different capacities for 6 years), and can empathize with how slow it is for information to get to the bottom of the chain. I just don't think Dave's contact at Sony should be telling him that if we call support they'll know what the red flashing issue is, and send us a usb stick with the correct firmware on it. Someone on the inside, of all people, should know how long it takes information to get down to the lower tiers of support that actually answer calls on the front line. Was he trying to execute damage control by telling a member of the press this? Or was it just ignorance in thinking the information had gotten all the way down the pipe yet? We'll never know.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogps /forum/post/18102406

Do i have to place the zip file or unzipped folder in the USB flash drive?

I'd suggest reading the PDF instructions very closely rather than relying on forum members. I suspect it needs to be unzipped, but you shouldn't be relying on anything but the official instructions when installing firmware that can potentially render your display completely unusable if improperly installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can someone direct me to the list of USB drives that are accepted by these TV sets. Can any of the FAT32 formatted drives work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@siege06nd - It's awesome how your are putting yourself out to help others with this, it is greatly appreciated by everyone on this massive 109 page thread.

I don't notice the red flashing so much but the audio drop outs via hdmi are killing me especially when I have guests over and have to turn the tv off and back on to fix it and then have to follow up with an explanation (embarrassing).

If anyone has the audio drop out issue and has installed this firmware update please post your findings.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentfresh /forum/post/18102424

I just don't think Dave's contact at Sony should be telling him that if we call support they'll know what the red flashing issue is, and send us a usb stick with the correct firmware on it. Someone on the inside, of all people, should know how long it takes information to get down to the lower tiers of support that actually answer calls on the front line. Was he trying to execute damage control by telling a member of the press this? Or was it just ignorance in thinking the information had gotten all the way down the pipe yet? We'll never know.

Agreed on this point. Respect goes both ways, and company executives should not promise something they can't be assured they can deliver on. I mean, that's their excuse when they excessively delay communications/acknowledgement of problems their electronics are experiencing... So, it seems hypocritical for Sony to turn around and offer premature assurance that our issues will be dealt with, when our own experiences shows us that this simply isn't the case.

Unfortunately, as consumers we have little recourse available when a company refuses to address our concerns in the way Sony did these last few months. They already have our money and all we can do is wait for handouts. Fortunately, we've come across a helpful person in this case, but people should not hesitate to still file complaints about this issue, with both Sony and your local Better Business Bureau (or similar establishment). Just imagine how this would have turned out if we hadn't gotten the fix from the Engineering dept - Sony had the power to simply ignore our issue right until our warranties ran out, and then we'd all be "out of luck".

I'll definitely be lodging a formal complaint to ensure this situation is on record somewhere. That way, if and when they are similarly uninterested in helping the next batch of concerned consumers, there will already be an established record/history of their negligent behaviour on record. Even our small contribution may be enough to bolster the arbitration of any similar case for future consumers.

3241 - 3260 of 4673 Posts