AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 4673 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have an intermittent problem with my KDL-40v5100.

Intermittently, when you turn the TV on, you either get no sound or a redish/pinkish cast to the picture. This only happens through my DirecTV tuner that is hooked up with an HDMI cable. If I hook up with component cable the issue goes away and it does not happen when I use the tuner in the TV. I have software version ER4.11-E227. Sony is sending me ER4.11-E2 to fix it. Is E2 an update to E227? It seems to me E227 would be newer and Sony is just wasting time.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy /forum/post/16992242

Have any of you hooked up these models to a PC via HDMI @ 1080p? The pixels do not appear to be getting scaled 1:1 like they should, resulting in objects like text and icons losing their crispness and being surrounded by scaling artifacts when viewed up close. I'd like if someone could confirm what I am seeing.

Looks 1:1 to me but I'm still testing. I will say Blu-Ray from the PC looks insanely good.

Confirmed with the Nvidia screen adjustment test pattern it is definately 1:1 for me. BTW setting on the TV is "full pixel"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

Has anyone noticed banding similar to the attached picture on their sets? I've noticed slightly severe color banding and cloudy/muddy colors (specifically in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion). Unfortunately, these are not great pictures because of the camera, but just image the bands slightly more defined. The second picture is a more accurate representation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I need help ..... I fit in the TV menu system data 709 and ITU quizer reestablish the original data.

Currently there are:

ITU 709 GAIN 355 1427 355

Ofset 1024 128 1024

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought the 46V5100 from Frys and was delivered Tuesday. The picture is great but finally had a chance to watch some TV yesterday and the flashing is crazy annoying. I was experiencing it like once every 5 minutes. I just gave up watching the show after 45 minutes. The TV would like dim out for 2 seconds and then the colors would come back.

Is this what other people are experiencing?

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby /forum/post/17486577

rishid ... That sounds more like the automatic contrast enhancer. You can switch it off in the settings menu.

Yea actually that setting was on. I will try it again today and hopefully it fixed the issue.

Anyone have a video of the red flashing people are experiencing? I searched youtube and didn't see anything.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A couple of weeks ago someone posted in this forum thread a little clip showing it. It was more severe than some of us have experienced but might give you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyone have any issues with audio on their HDMI ports?

With my 46V5100 I am having audio drop outs on ports 1 and 2. I haven't tried 3 and 4 yet.

I have my Xbox 360 plugged in via HDMI and every 8-10 minutes the audio drops out for at least 10 seconds and then comes back staticy for a couple seconds and then is restored fully. The picture is still fine.

I know the 360 is solid and the cable I have been using them for 3 years with my old Samsung LCD.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
1st off just want to thank you guys for all the awesome info.

So after reading the posts, I have concluded that component cables will get rid of the red flashing and audio problems (correct?). I've just switch my tv from HDMI to component now (after spending $ on a Monster cable). Did anybody else have to resort to this? Does it get rid of the problems? Does anybody notice a difference in picture quality? OR does the update fix these problems?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can't use component cables with mine. When I do, the color washes TOTALLY out - to B&W...so I have to use my HDMI. I'm still having that sound issue, too...and i'm noticing it more & more...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I currently own a KDL-52s5100 (my second one because of the fluctuations) and the red fluctuation is still brutal. Its weird cuz it doesnt happen when my kids watch cartoons or when I play my PS 3. Only when I watch actual television. I am actually renting it from a company that allows me to switch the tv if I want. They have the exact same tv except it is the v series. Im wondering if anyone can tell me if that same annoying fluctuation is in the v series or if it is limited to the s series like I hope it is. I looked through the Official Sony KDL-xxS5100 Thread and people there seem to think it wasnt an issue with the v series. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, a bunch of posts back I reported that I had intermittent crackling sounds from my V5100 and after swapping the old Comcast Moto DVR for a brand new Comcast Moto DCX3400 DVR the crackling went away. It's been months now and I have not had one sound issue since replacing the DVR. There's no way to know if it was the old DVR or some sort of tolerance issue with the HDMI interface on the TV, but it's fixed. I had no sound issues with my old Sony 34XBR310 tube using the same old DVR but it didn't have HDMI. My personal opinion is that it was most likely the DVR. YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought this TV (46) and had it delivered yesterday. I am currently running firmware 3.11 and I have to be honest with you...I am not thrilled with this TV at all. I had my Samsung 720p Plasma replaced by this and the picture on this TV is a total disappointment. There are no colors that pop off the screen...everything looks incredibly dull and this is after I have tried every calibration mentioned in this thread and it just looks horrible. Compared to the Samsung B640...it isn't close. Is this due to the glossy versus Matte or is it just this TV?

I had an old Samsung DLP with the built in Pedestal thathad a better picture than this. I am sorry if I am ranting...but I am very upset with this. Besides returning it...is there something I am missing? Will the updated firmware help with this? Kind of desperate at this point because I am so frustrated.

1761 - 1780 of 4673 Posts