AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 15442 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes /forum/post/0

What kind of games do you got on the PS3? Sorry to be off subject, I just want to see the comparison on that TV to my TV. Really curious on how NCAA08 looks and others if you got em.

I just have it through 360, I played it on both 360 and PS3, but thought it looked better on the 360, due to the fact they coded it for 60fps instead of 30fps on the PS3.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss /forum/post/0

Do you have some pics with it out of Vivid Mode?

pwiss-so you sorta noticed too, huh?
Well I say everyone shut the he_ _ up and leave this lucky dude alone for a few hours ! Oh, I for one prefer less pics (yes, thanks for the effort) and MORE excellent commentary. insly obviously has excellent experience with HD units...so leave him alone to view even more critically and then comment to us. He is the first human flesh (that I am hearing from) to eyeball this new SXRD and I, for one, would like to hear about (a) geometry, (b) black level, (c) motion effectiveness (already touched on this a bit), and any visible differences from...say the XBR2 model last year. I think these ae all very germane to fans on here.

BTW, thanks VERY MUCH insly for the commentary and your time...and yes, you ARE our hero !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Quote:

Does it say anything about being deep color and 10 bit and such? Thanks for all your help so far

I haven't read through the manual yet, but I've got to believe it does have "deep color", because the previous mitsu I had (733), did say it had deep color and the colors were NO WHERE close to as deep as they are with this set.

I'm not sure on the 10-bit - I'll review later and report back.

Wolvernole -

That almost brought a tear to my eye, buddy. But, really - just right place, right time. I just called the BB guy to find out when they'd get them and he said I could pick one up today, after calling his bluff a few times, it was the smoothest buying experience I've ever had and I've always tried my best to avoid BB, due to having several poor experiences with them prior. Essentially, boredom got me this TV today.

As far as the geometry and et al; I'm not real sure. It appears to be pretty good, I don't have a lot of history with sony products, however I can't find what others of previous models are identify, but I'll continue looking.

As far as the black levels, (reminder - this is all from my personal vision, no other tools to identify actual numbers) they are much deeper than the mitsu set I just took back. I plan to watch Apocolypto tonight, that has plenty of black/dark scenes, so I'll report again after that.

Take care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I'm looking to upgrade my KDF-E42A10 to the KDS-50A3000 in the very near future. My main concern lies with picking up local (FOX/NBC/CBS..) HD channels without a cable box. I currently just have "poor mans" cable with 13 channels, but my KDF-E42A10 picks up HD versions of these stations for free. Probably not a huge concern to most people, but I need my HD "24" every year

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't think you'll know if you have deep color until actual source material with deep color is available and a device with HDMI 1.3 enables it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insly /forum/post/0

Nope. The last 5 TV's I've had have all been 62"-65" in the same spot where the 55" is. At some point (in my opinion) you give up PQ for size, I think for me this 55" is the sweet spot. Results may vary, my viewing distance really isn't big enough for a 60"+.

In what way? Certainly not for HD! Are you referring to SD perhaps?

Robert

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/0

I think an important question that many of us would like to know is how is the SSE?

Good question. This is a bit of an Achilles heal on RP's, to be sure. I have noticed that Sony handles screen SSE better than the JVC's which have a very nice overall PQ, but yikes, their SSE was really a negative. But we digress
the excellent SXRD 3000 in within reach...and review by our guy, insly...enjoying "Apocolypto" as we await further word

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

Quote:

Whats SSE?

Silk Screen Effect...it is what is often seen on RP in a particularly bright scene (sun, white clouds in a scene, etc.) It manifests itself as a shimmer or a pearly glimmer...some people call it "the sparklies." PDP are NOT susceptable to SSE. DLP and LCOS/SXRD are. I hope that helps. Back to A3000.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oh I know what your talking about, I see it with my XBR1....it kinda looks like a grainy screen when a scene is all white. Yeah....I kinda dont like that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Called my local BB and they verified that they have them in the warehouse. I asked where the warehouse was and they said Dallas area, so the same place that Insly picked his up from. They said that if I ordered one it would be here in about 4 days.

Brian

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:

I haven't read through the manual yet, but I've got to believe it does have "deep color", because the previous mitsu I had (733), did say it had deep color and the colors were NO WHERE close to as deep as they are with this set.

I'm not sure on the 10-bit - I'll review later and report back.

Wolvernole -

That almost brought a tear to my eye, buddy. But, really - just right place, right time. I just called the BB guy to find out when they'd get them and he said I could pick one up today, after calling his bluff a few times, it was the smoothest buying experience I've ever had and I've always tried my best to avoid BB, due to having several poor experiences with them prior. Essentially, boredom got me this TV today.

As far as the geometry and et al; I'm not real sure. It appears to be pretty good, I don't have a lot of history with sony products, however I can't find what others of previous models are identify, but I'll continue looking.

As far as the black levels, (reminder - this is all from my personal vision, no other tools to identify actual numbers) they are much deeper than the mitsu set I just took back. I plan to watch Apocolypto tonight, that has plenty of black/dark scenes, so I'll report again after that.

Take care.

If you could look in the manual on the first page and see if the "24p true cinema" logo is in there, if it still is then the A3000 has it. Otherwise, you could become a very rich man

Or better still, is it on the front of the TV? The pic you posted is too far away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes, it's on the front of the TV and in the owners guide. I'm sure it does, it has the most astounding picture I've ever seen, out of the box.

I've noticed very little, if any SSE. I'm about to watch Apocolypto now, so I'll report back either late tonight or in the morning on the black levels.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Nevermind my "24p true cinema" question, i just saw the sticker, confirmed that the A3000 has it. This is awesome. Very, very, very little difference between the A3000 and the new XBR with the 24p confirmation.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it's on the front of the TV and in the owners guide. I'm sure it does, it has the most astounding picture I've ever seen, out of the box.

I've noticed very little, if any SSE. I'm about to watch Apocolypto now, so I'll report back either late tonight or in the morning on the black levels.

Thanx insly. The SXRD's have always had excellent blacks and shadow detail.....i fully expect the same here. "Apocolypto" should give you a good read on skin tones....especially since there is lots of skin

21 - 40 of 15442 Posts