AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 4108 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is your display Dolby Vision equipped?
It's the KD-65ZD9 with latest firmware, so yes, it is.
In general, it plays HDR10 so well, that I do not see much value added by DoVi. Definitely, totally out of proportion compared to the hype DoVi gets online.
Indeed, looking specifically into deepest blacks or tone mapping in extreme highlights (what Vincent Teoh does), might reveal differences, but they are rather minute, IMHO.
(Incidentally, on the same screen, HDR10 tonemapping in highlights (the knee) can even be different depending on picture mode you select.)

PS I also understand, that this behaviour can be totally different on other displays.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's the KD-65ZD9 with latest firmware, so yes, it is.
In general, it plays HDR10 so well, that I do not see much value added by DoVi. Definitely, totally out of proportion compared to the hype DoVi gets online.
Indeed, looking specifically into deepest blacks or tone mapping in extreme highlights (what Vincent Teoh does), might reveal differences, but they are rather minute, IMHO.
(Incidentally, on the same screen, HDR10 tonemapping in highlights (the knee) can even be different depending on picture mode you select.)

PS I also understand, that this behaviour can be totally different on other displays.
I have the 75ZD9, and the x700, if i knew the DV implementation was to be this clunky I would have skippet x700. I bought x700 on the promise of DV, didnt imagine it to be manual on/off...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the 75ZD9, and the x700, if i knew the DV implementation was to be this clunky I would have skippet x700. I bought x700 on the promise of DV, didnt imagine it to be manual on/off...
First world problems eh ?

I bet you are the type to only eat imported Cheese made from a one eyed goat farmer in the south of France.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Connect Bluray player HDMI audio through PC?

Getting the Sony UBP X700 with an HDMI audio out and a coaxial audio out. I have a Dell XPS 8500 with HDMI and S/PDIF connections. Can I use the audio outs on the player and have them go through the PC? Are the HDMI and S/PDIF connections on the PC only for audio out? Any HDMI or Coaxial adapters that can go from the X700 to the 3.5mm input jack on the PC?

Right now I use a PS3 with an RCA out to a 3.5mm adapter that goes into the PC input 3.5mm input jack.

I have it this way to use headphones, this is our bedroom setup. TV, PS3 or the X700 have no headphone jack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would this work? Plug the HDMI male end into the X700 HDMI audio out and then connect a 3.5mm jack to the adapters 3.5 jack and the other to the PC 3.5MM Input?

Can not post links.

Rankie HDMI to VGA Adapter with 3.5mm Audio Port

·
Registered
785 Posts
You might be right, I dont buy crap if I can avoid it :p
It was a concious decision for me.
I knew the limitation.
The player is dirt cheap.
I use it only for 4K blurays mostly. There I could leave DoVi on and call it a day. Problem only occurs with SDR content.
But I do not understand the DoVi hype to begin with, my Bravia displays HDR10 as good as DoVi, so I tend to leave DoVi off most of the time.
For SDR content I prefer my appleTV.
I do not use built-in apps on X700, except for YouTube to occasionally watch HDR clips on YT.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It was a concious decision for me.
I knew the limitation.
The player is dirt cheap.
I use it only for 4K blurays mostly. There I could leave DoVi on and call it a day. Problem only occurs with SDR content.
But I do not understand the DoVi hype to begin with, my Bravia displays HDR10 as good as DoVi, so I tend to leave DoVi off most of the time.
For SDR content I prefer my appleTV.
I do not use built-in apps on X700, except for YouTube to occasionally watch HDR clips on YT.
What size is your TV ?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Is anyone else getting very choppy 60fps youtube hdr? I’ve tried everything including resetting the player and adjusting the settings. I’m on the newest firmware update as well. It’s very choppy and stuttery with hdr clips such as hdr Peru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is anyone else getting very choppy 60fps youtube hdr? I’ve tried everything including resetting the player and adjusting the settings. I’m on the newest firmware update as well. It’s very choppy and stuttery with hdr clips such as hdr Peru.

Could possibly be that the x700 only supports the 2.4GHz wifi standard and you have interference from the multitude of other devices in the world that operate on that band.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does the x700 has the same dlna streaming capabilities like the x800 model?
Especially for MKV's.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Its definitely quieter than the Philips 7502 I have. but the Phillips has proper auto switching between SDR, HDR10, and DV. Getting the Phillips worked out in my favor but I would have preferred another Sony. But not with a messed up system that erroneously requires DV to be manually turned on and off. I'm hoping Sony comes out with a proper DV player next year, so I can replace my Philips and Sony x800 in my DV setup.
The Philips has the opposite problem though correct? DV can't be turned off for a disc that has it, so you can't watch a DV movie in HDR10 if you wanted to. It also has the 3D playback bug. All the DV supporting players have a problem it seems. The guys in the Z9D thread talked me into the X700 nonetheless since I didn't want to wait 6 months for the next gen of players.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Could possibly be that the x700 only supports the 2.4GHz wifi standard and you have interference from the multitude of other devices in the world that operate on that band.

It’s hardwired through Ethernet do that wouldn’t be it. Only 60fps hdr clips are giving me an issue.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Especially for MKV's.
I have not done extensive tests as the X700 is my secondary player to my Oppo 203.

Using Plex on my X700 with DLNA:

It streamed MKV Bluray rips fine enough with embedded Subtitles support.

It also streamed 3D Bluray MVC Rips in M2TS container with embedded Subtitles support.

Streaming issues that can cause problems are things like:
-Dolby Atmos passthru
-Dolby TrueHD passthru
-Automatic Forced Subtitles selection for minor foreign language dialogue

I DONT KNOW IF THESE ARE ISSUES WITH X700.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What size is your TV ?
65"
Especially for MKV's.
As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same. And as you might expect, MKV gets least love from Sony.
Basically, with MKV-s you won't get:
a) Dolby TrueHD (that includes Atmos)
b) PGS subtitles, only SRT
c) chapter marks and all content metadata (ignored by UBP-X)

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Philips has the opposite problem though correct? DV can't be turned off for a disc that has it, so you can't watch a DV movie in HDR10 if you wanted to. It also has the 3D playback bug.
Correct. If a disc is in DV, it's going to play it in DV. You can turn DV on for everything, though, just like the X700.

2001 - 2020 of 4108 Posts