AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 4117 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
I only had weird rising black when I had DV enabled. No issues with the Netflix app otherwise. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
Speaking of DV, since it is left off by default, is there some indication that a disc HAS Dolby Vision as an option?

It just seems odd. The only disc I have so far with DV is Creed 2. And the only reason I know that is because of the tiny, tiny logo on the back of the box, clustered amongst all of the other logos.

You would think a disc would prompt you before starting if you want HDR or DV. Having to check manually just seems a bit odd.

Reactions: Jim Kiler

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Speaking of DV, since it is left off by default, is there some indication that a disc HAS Dolby Vision as an option?

It just seems odd. The only disc I have so far with DV is Creed 2. And the only reason I know that is because of the tiny, tiny logo on the back of the box, clustered amongst all of the other logos.

You would think a disc would prompt you before starting if you want HDR or DV. Having to check manually just seems a bit odd.

Welcome to the world of Sony UHD players :rolleyes:

Other than checking the box, you can lookup on bluray.com if the disc has DV.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@mpatnode , for what it's worth, I had one of those go bad (a 10', i started getting black screens), and they replaced it without question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I finally started watching Season 3 of 'Stranger Things'. At first, I started my viewing on my Roku Ultra but then I decided to torture myself by comparing the HDR Roku feed to that on the x700 with Dolby Vision to see just how much darker Dolby Vision was. I noticed that while my Roku outputs Dolby Digital Plus as the sound, I only get regular Dolby Digital with the x700. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I finally started watching Season 3 of 'Stranger Things'. At first, I started my viewing on my Roku Ultra but then I decided to torture myself by comparing the HDR Roku feed to that on the x700 with Dolby Vision to see just how much darker Dolby Vision was. I noticed that while my Roku outputs Dolby Digital Plus as the sound, I only get regular Dolby Digital with the x700. Anyone else experiencing this?
What's your source? stream, rip, etc.

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I watched ST, if I used the x700 Netflix app, I got Dolby Digital. If I watched it on my Sony A9G's built-in Netflix app, I would get Dolby Digital Plus.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Any issues with elevated black levels watching DV, streaming or disk? My C9 Netflix app has elevated black levels compared to the rich black on my Apple 4K TV Netflix app. Thinking about picking up the X700. Also is there a TV led option to decode DV vs player?

·
Registered
915 Posts

I would be happy if the cases stated HDR10 or DV. I have not seen it on my collection.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I would be happy if the cases stated HDR10 or DV. I have not seen it on my collection.
Look closer

Now HDR10 may or may not be displayed, since every 4K disc has HDR10, but DV should always be displayed somewhere.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I demoted the x700, I got tired of dealing with the fact it would not play audio for about 30% of the .mkv files. I will only use it to play DVDs now. I got the Nvidia Shield which over a very large sample of .mkv's has played 100% of the audio from ATMOS, DTS, any and all.
How's the 4k HDR picture quality of the Nvidia compared to the x700? Is at at par with the x700? Any crushed blacks or clipping whites in HDR?

·
Banned
265 Posts
How's the 4k HDR picture quality of the Nvidia compared to the x700? Is at at par with the x700? Any crushed blacks or clipping whites in HDR?
Using a Sony X900F into HDMI3 playing Dolby Vision demos over Nvidias USB from their 2019 demo disk. I used the Kodi app to play videos. I thought the picture from the Nvidia was spectacular A few of the demos will outline a portion of the picture and put it in Dolby Vision to highlight what DV does and you can see the major difference. Now the Sony x700 would not even play these files..so I cant compare it.....but I have no need to after watching the Nvidia shield..thats why Im not using the Sony x700 anymore. Its a real pleasure knowing I can play any file with the Nvidia and it will work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I demoted the x700, I got tired of dealing with the fact it would not play audio for about 30% of the .mkv files. I will only use it to play DVDs now. I got the Nvidia Shield which over a very large sample of .mkv's has played 100% of the audio from ATMOS, DTS, any and all.
It doesn't have audio when there is a TrueHD track ripped since MKV removes the core and sets it as a separate track. If you have DTS-HD MA it will play the track. Or if you have a m2ts file it will play the TrueHD track. MKV related as MKV doesn't keep core and TrueHD tracks together.

I am keeping it as I also watch actual UHD Blurays so I don't need a separate device. Anything I do stream is usually M2TS or a MKV with DTS-HD MA.

Reactions: giderac and galonzo

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I bought a X700 recently, and honestyl I couldnt see a difference when watching Avengers Infinity War using an Xbox One X console...could be just me
Why would there be a difference? Were you using the DV mode on the X700? I personally think Infinity War looks better with that on, but if you're not using that I would imagine HDR10 should look identical on anything playing it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Banned
265 Posts
It doesn't have audio when there is a TrueHD track ripped since MKV removes the core and sets it as a separate track. If you have DTS-HD MA it will play the track. Or if you have a m2ts file it will play the TrueHD track. MKV related as MKV doesn't keep core and TrueHD tracks together.

I am keeping it as I also watch actual UHD Blurays so I don't need a separate device. Anything I do stream is usually M2TS or a MKV with DTS-HD MA.
Good to know but who cares. All I know is Nvida works perfectly with all mkv's, 100%, UHD, TrueHD, ATMOS whatever without futzing around with the files while Sony X700 does not. All the same files Sony x700 would not play, the Nvidai does play......thats all I need to know. I dont need to know what a bit or byte or nibble or a nkv or m2ts is......all I need to know is the Nvidia Shield works and plays video and audio 100% of the time........Sony X700 does not. And even when sony does works its only becuase there is a 2nd compatible audio stream embedded that can be chosen.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anyone having issues playing Dolby Vision on the X700 when connected to an LG C8 OLED.. I get the banner saying Dolby Vision come up but the picture is just a black screen and audio.. If I set the player not to play dolby vision then everything plays fine.. All the settings on the player are set correctly for dolby vision and the lg is set to deeep color for the input but no dice..

3141 - 3160 of 4117 Posts