AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4595 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is this wired or wireless?
Wired

I tested wireless and the X930E did slightly worse and the access point is only 5ft away! The wireless connection is fine for anything other than streaming. The negotiation with wireless seems to cause slight PQ issues in my environment.

I do make my own custom length Cat 5E cables, but I've tested various cables to rule that out as an issue. For example, I tested the X930E and then moved the same cable to other devices and then had excellent results.

The X700 seems to be built for streaming speed. Must be a difference in chipsets or buffering capabilities.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
863 Posts
Edit as of 5/31/2018: With firmware version M43.R.0175 the X700 gives me:

UHD Blu-ray Disc: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10 (Atmos is supported)

Netflix: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10

Amazon: UHD and HDR10

YouTube: UHD and HDR10 with Codec vp9.2

Vudu: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10 (Atmos is supported)

Leon McKee

·
UHD Addict
38,358 Posts
On the X700 I get Vudu UHD, but HDR10 is not being triggered.

Leon McKee
Wow!! That is huge progress at least. To have a Sony device with access to the Vudu UHD encodes.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Didn't the X800 do Youtube in HDR10?
I think (heard) it did, but I did not own one myself.

Could be I've not tested the right content, but every UHD HDR video I've tried in YouTube is not triggering HDR.

Edit: My bad as I had not tested the correct content. YouTube app on the X700 supports 4K HDR10.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
863 Posts
Attached image of Vudu playing Atomic Blond in UHD from X700.

Leon McKee

Attachments

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
863 Posts
Every YouTube 4K HDR10 video I've tried invokes the vp9 (313) codec just like my X930E does. No HDR. I sure hope this changes!

EDIT: Just found one that works! The X700 YouTube app does HDR10 with Codec vp9.2 (337)

Leon McKee

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
So here's the X700 information screen for Vudu when viewing a UHD movie that has HDR. Notice the HDR is grayed out. Maybe there's hope for the future of Vudu HDR on Sony devices, but I can't get it to trigger at this point.

Leon McKee

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm starting to think that the X700 and ATV4K are going to be my only streaming devices! The X700 UHD and HDR support is great with Vudu HDR being the slacker at this point. Of course, when the X700 is updated for Dolby Vision it'll be time to make a new analysis. However, I suspect (guessing) that the X700 may end up being one of the most capable streamers for the major services. Fingers crossed that the summer X700 Dolby Vision update gets us not only Dolby Vision, but even better apps :)

Leon McKee

·
Registered
311 Posts
So here's the X700 information screen for Vudu when viewing a UHD movie that has HDR. Notice the HDR is grayed out. Maybe there's hope for the future of Vudu HDR on Sony devices, but I can't get it to trigger at this point.

Leon McKee

I think Oblivion is Dolby Vision only so that may be why it's not working. Could you check some other movies? I know that Wonder Woman and Batman v Superman have HDR10 support.

·
Premium Member
6,653 Posts
I got the X800 yesterday at BB but it's kinda big and doesn't fit well in my shelf. I just ordered the X700 from BB and it will be delivered tomorrow. Anything that I would be giving away going from the X800 to X700? My 4K TV is from 2015 so no HDR, No Dolby Vision. I'm planning to upgrade to LG OLED 55C8 by Thanksgiving, though.

·
UHD Addict
38,358 Posts
Didn't the X800 do Youtube in HDR10?
Yes. The X800 supports HDR from Youtube. Which requires VP9 profile 2 support. Which I would expect the X700 to also have.

·
UHD Addict
38,358 Posts
Every YouTube 4K HDR10 video I've tried invokes the vp9 (313) codec just like my X930E does. No HDR. I sure hope this changes!

EDIT: Just found one that works! The X700 YouTube app does HDR10 with Codec vp9.2 (337)

Leon McKee
Try subscribing to "The HDR Channel" on Youtube. They have a bunch of HDR videos that should work for a player supporting VP9.2

·
UHD Addict
38,358 Posts

Leon McKee
That's because it's only available in DV right now. You should try one of the titles that have HDR10. Like from Warner Brothers.

If the X700 supports HDR10 from Vudu, that will be a huge incentive for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think Oblivion is Dolby Vision only so that may be why it's not working. Could you check some other movies? I know that Wonder Woman and Batman v Superman have HDR10 support.
I don't own either one of those titles, but I did look at their info screens on the X700 app and they look exactly the same (gray HDR logo). I'm not home right now, but I'll check some other titles a little later. My Vudu UHD HDR titles are all ports from iTunes which Vudu just started doing if they have the title in UHD. I never checked to see if it goes the other way, but if I see a good deal on a Vudu UHD title with HDR I'll make a purchase for further testing.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's because it's only available in DV right now. You should try one of the titles that have HDR10. Like from Warner Brothers.

If the X700 supports HDR10 from Vudu, that will be a huge incentive for me.
Ok, I'll check later when I'm home and report back!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
863 Posts
I got the X800 yesterday at BB but it's kinda big and doesn't fit well in my shelf. I just ordered the X700 from BB and it will be delivered tomorrow. Anything that I would be giving away going from the X800 to X700? My 4K TV is from 2015 so no HDR, No Dolby Vision. I'm planning to upgrade to LG OLED 55C8 by Thanksgiving, though.
If you use a wired connection you're good! The X700 only has 2.4 GHz wireless.

The X700 is very small and light and that might be a shock. However, the X700 is actually a performer!

Try PMing or replying to gadgtfreek (he started this thread) as he knows both units very well!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...owners-thread-no-price-talk.html#post55563530

Leon McKee

·
Premium Member
6,653 Posts
If you use a wired connection you're good! The X700 only has 2.4 GHz wireless.

The X700 is very small and light and that might be a shock. However, the X700 is actually a performer!

Try PMing or replying to gadgtfreek (he started this thread) as he knows both units very well!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...owners-thread-no-price-talk.html#post55563530

Leon McKee
I don't have wired in my bedroom but I can do that. I'm going to try with wireless 2.4 GHz to see if streaming 4K is handle well. If not I can put a network switcher in my bedroom and run ethernet.

21 - 40 of 4595 Posts