AVS Forum banner
4581 - 4600 of 4658 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Follow the instructions in the link below to upgrade firmware through USB. I contacted Sony support live chat and this is what they directed me to do. I already had the latest firmware installed so I didn't think it would work and I told them it wouldn't work because I was unable to even enter the system upgrade menu but I followed the instructions and after the USB was inserted into player I was able to access the system upgrade menu. I chose upgrade by USB and my player checked and said I already had the latest firmware and from then on my player started working properly.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...players-recorders/ubp-x700/downloads/00015979

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm considering the x700 or x700/m, and I'm wondering if there's anything besides HDMI cable added, and likely the firmware updated. Like does it auto play DV? Maybe...

Looking at Sony's manuals list, it shows the Operating Instructions updated April 1, 2021. Can ya'll compare either with your older manuals or if there's any difference in behavior.

In particular I note on page 21:

Dolby Vision Output
[On]: Output 4K/DV signals via 4K/DV compatible devices.
[Off]: Automatically outputs HDR signals when you connect any 4K/HDR or 4K/DV compatible equipment.
Does [On] force DV to automatically play? I'm inferring in [Off] when it says HDR it means HDR10 as opposed to DV.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I'm considering the x700 or x700/m, and I'm wondering if there's anything besides HDMI cable added, and likely the firmware updated. Like does it auto play DV? Maybe...

Looking at Sony's manuals list, it shows the Operating Instructions updated April 1, 2021. Can ya'll compare either with your older manuals or if there's any difference in behavior.

In particular I note on page 21:

Does [On] force DV to automatically play? I'm inferring in [Off] when it says HDR it means HDR10 as opposed to DV.
On means DV is forced on 100% of the time. Including for SDR content.
Off means HDR10 is outputted when any HDR signal is detected.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Will we ever see another firmware update? Been 2 years and 2 months since the last one.

I’m not buying that the current firmware is perfect with no bugs. In 2 years, one would think they could have released tweaks to existing features like Dolby Video that could be improved.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Will we ever see another firmware update? Been 2 years and 2 months since the last one.

I’m not buying that the current firmware is perfect with no bugs. In 2 years, one would think they could have released tweaks to existing features like Dolby Video that could be improved.
Very unlikely

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I watched Return of the King the other night and it did not freeze, but late into the movie it did stutter for like a half a second before continuing.

I haven't had any movies totally freeze since I disabled my internet connection on the player late last year, which I saw as a recommendation for another Sony player. I also do have my player raised up about an inch, but that alone definitely didn't fix the issue for me.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently connected this to my new Samsung Q950T in conjunction with my LG B7 OLED and I'm getting odd flicker to black screen and even complete no signal.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i just got one of these off eBay. I've been testing it out and i seem to have an issue with motion smoothing/high frame rate. I've experienced this with multiple discs. I watched Alien in 4K as well as the tv show Suits, in which the discs are from the UK. Suits looks great due to the upscale, but seems to be inconsistent with the frame rates it provides. Not quite the soap opera effect, but almost there. My TV is a TCL Roku TV, which doesn't have any option to turn this off. I don't get the issue on any streaming service. In the settings for the Sony player, i turned off 24p mode but that's about it. I can't seem to find any other option to fix this. If i turn 24p mode on it becomes full blown soap opera effect. It's driving me crazy, please help me out.

Also i had an LG 4K player that didn't create this effect

·
Registered
5 Posts

To be prepared for Monday when the Sony X700 will stand on my sideboard I prepared risers that my 700 can breath and not freeze, looking at the x800 how many times i had to pull the power cord i dont remember. Now with my Lg cx I had need a new player so I orderd the x700 for dolby vision support.

·
Registered
932 Posts
View attachment 3143333
To be prepared for Monday when the Sony X700 will stand on my sideboard I prepared risers that my 700 can breath and not freeze, looking at the x800 how many times i had to pull the power cord i dont remember. Now with my Lg cx I had need a new player so I orderd the x700 for dolby vision support.
For your LG TV you may consider the LG UBK90. Mine has never froze to the point of me needing to unplug. I got mine in Aug 2018 and just this year started to freeze during playback. Have only noticed this on BD100 discs and if I open and close the tray and then jump to the time it froze or if the discs supports "resume playback" it works fine. Also with the LG Dolby Vision is auto detected and used. None of the manual switching like the Sony players. Sony players on the Sony TVs make sense since I have read multiple places LG Dolby Vision doesn't play nice with Sony TVs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you I will only use the player to play 4k and blu ray disks maybe some dvds will see if I need to Update the Firmware then never will use the wifi again I dont think sony is botherd to release any new updates as with all players only reaveon players release a player this year all are buggy old tech will see on Monday how the dolby vision work with Lg I dont want to spend more money on old tech like a Pansonic 824 or the sony x800m2 but not would buy the Lg ubk90 it also have some downsides i read somewhere

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ok it wasn’t an issue before but now I’m getting annoyed with freezing issues. What’s the upgrade from here for Dolby vision and no freezing? The $$$ Panasonic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok it wasn’t an issue before but now I’m getting annoyed with freezing issues. What’s the upgrade from here for Dolby vision and no freezing? The $$$ Panasonic?
I think every player have freezing issues with 100gb disks the Panasonic have hdr enhancer software I want to have but not for the asking prize and also potential freezing I wait out the Pandemic and Semiconductor shortage and hope after that new players will release in 2-3 years or so that are not so buggy.And will keep my x700 for hdr-sdr conversion if i buy a Projector

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have it now had put it on speaker raisers and on top of my sideboard played anna 4k 100gb disk and it played flawless on my new 4k blu ray player checked for update and then disconected the network afterwards. But still had no time for Ps5 darkplate change and cable managment for all the devices

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still need to move Alexa and the old ubp 800 cablemanegment behind the tv and speaker cables and darkplate change on the ps5

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
From what I've seen over the years, the freezing problem has been attributed to playing discs, particularly triple-layer, BD100 discs.
Sony UBP-X700 only? If not, which other players?

Re my Sony UBP-X800, I can't speak to all BD100s listed at bluraydotcom, but I've experienced no freezing or any other issues with the BD100s I own: Forrest Gump; Game of Thrones Complete Collection; Godzilla: King of the Monsters; Hannibal; Harry Potter Complete Collection; John Wick 3; Jurassic World; Rocketman; Scarface.

Prior to the Sony, I did experience 2K & 4K Blu-ray reading and playback issues with Panasonic DMP-UB900.

4581 - 4600 of 4658 Posts