AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 4186 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hey all. I have a Sony x800 and it has issues with subtitles with mkv files. I rip a lot of my own discs and it's hit or miss with the forced subtitles like the apes signing in planet of the apes or game of thrones. Can any of the owners comment on how the player is able to utilize subtitles? I have also tried m2ts files and i get nothing...I anticipate a little further price drop come BF and wonder if it would be worth picking one up. Dolby Vision would be nice too...

·
Registered
480 Posts
New firmware is less aggressive with the Dolby Vision flag. My SDR slides on a USB stick remain SDR now even when Dolby Vision is On in the settings. The former firmware sent my TV into Dolby Vision mode with those same slides.

Someone may want to check SDR Blu-rays. I did not take the time today. But my suspicion is they too will remain SDR even with Dolby Vision set on the settings.

LeRoy

·
Registered
480 Posts
I stayed up a bit later to see what happened to Blu-ray playback with Dolby Vision on in the settings. I checked out three disks. My AVR can show me the encoding and frame rate sent through it.

The Last Jedi SDR HD Blu-ray
The Last Jedi Dolby Vision UHD Blu-ray (DV)
The Avengers Infinity War HDR10 UHD Blu-ray.

SDR Dolby Vision off YCbCr444 36bit 23hz
SDR Dolby Vision on RGB 24bit 59hz Dolby Vision mode
HDR10 Dolby Vision off YCbCr444 36bit 23hz
HDR10 Dolby Vision on RGB 24bit 23hz Dolby Vision mode
DV Dolby Vision off YCbCr444 36bit 23hz
DV Dolby Vision on RGB 24bit 23hz Dolby Vision mode

So the SDR Blu-ray appeared to act just like the previous firmware when Dolby Vision was enabled. Note the conversion of the frame rate.

HDR10 and DV Blu-ray kept the encoded frame rate, which is different and an improvement over the previous firmware.

Netflix with Dolby Vision on appears to put out SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision content at the encoded frame rate in Dolby Vision mode. Needs more testing, but I use my Apple TV 4K for Netflix. Someone else can see if there are other changes there.

LeRoy

Reactions: Bruggelink

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am trying for now leaving DV on all the time. I had to turn up my backlight setting for DV on the TV but I seem to get a better picture even on regular blu rays this way. You still have the same picture dynamics on a regular blu ray that you had with the setting off but the color seems a little richer. I'll have to watch a few more standard blu rays this way to make sure nothing else is messed up also a few more non DV HDR 4k blu rays but so far I like whats happening just leaving HDR on auto and DV on.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I read that Solo has DV on streaming, but Disney, in their infinite wisdom, didn't put it on the UHD blu ray. How nice.

The 'Solo' movie is very dark. Was the movie meant to be that way, or is it my x700 player? I'm viewing it on a Sony x900E w/ HDR10 from a 4KUHD HDR disk.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 'Solo' movie is very dark. Was the movie meant to be that way, or is it my x700 player? I'm viewing it on a Sony x900E w/ HDR10 from a 4KUHD HDR disk.
Yes, there is widespread consternation at the look of Solo, seems it was filmmaking choice. I saw it in the theater and thought it was fine but I haven't played my copy of the 4k disc yet. I am more bothered by the lack of DV when it was available for use on the disc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi, it's been a while, anyways, does anyone know how to make X700 force faux-DV on BDrips over DLNA? or is it just something that it simply doesn't do (via DLNA specifically)?

So, the forced faux-DV works on physical BD in the tray, it also works on BDrips in M2TS format via USB, but it doesn't work on the same M2TS BDrips over DLNA from my (windows) media server. It's solely a (in)convenience thing for me, if I had to transfer the BDrips to an USB HDD to enjoy the toggle switch option, surely it would work, but then why don't I just pop the disc instead? at which point it starts to defeat the whole purpose of ripping BDs and storing them in a media serve in the first place so I could avoid moving my lazy butt out of the couch...;) Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just a small update for playing disc's, I set my backlight back to normal and changed the gamma on my tv settings for the DV profile from 2.2 to 2.1 checked a few more standard blu rays and HDR only 4k disc's along with my DV disc's and they all look great, so I'll be leaving HDR on auto and DV on all the time from now on.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am trying for now leaving DV on all the time. I had to turn up my backlight setting for DV on the TV but I seem to get a better picture even on regular blu rays this way. You still have the same picture dynamics on a regular blu ray that you had with the setting off but the color seems a little richer. I'll have to watch a few more standard blu rays this way to make sure nothing else is messed up also a few more non DV HDR 4k blu rays but so far I like whats happening just leaving HDR on auto and DV on.
I've had varying results using DV with regular Blu-rays. I've found if the film is fairly recent, forced DV looks fine. I watched A Quiet Placeon Blu-ray the other day, and it looked great. But when I tried the Blu-ray of Goldfinger, I didn't like the way it looked at all, so I went in and switched DV off.

I guess I'm back to turning it on and off depending on content.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sorry but I simply don't understand the point of forced DV.
I think dolby vision is about having a team in stuidio working on a "mastering" the movie color, and make adjustments, even frame by frame as they say.

This forced dv is nothing like that?
Is it not just a boost in color saturation or/and contrast to make thing more "vivid"?

What is the difference between forced dv and hdr10+? If there is no human action behind it.. It is the same, just an algorithm.

Envoyé de mon G8142 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Is it not just a boost in color saturation or/and contrast to make thing more "vivid"?
Maybe, maybe not.

What is the difference between forced dv and hdr10+?
Almost certainly a great deal.

There have been tens of thousands of words written about these technologies. It's not possible to condense all that to a few sentences.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Cost is not an issue. The ES has better file support than the Cambridge (multi ch DSD 256, multi ch FLAC 192, DTS HD Master Audio and Atmos on MKV, try that on the Cambridge). The Sony ES DAC is wonderful for sacd 2 ch playback. Cambridge nada.
How does the ES sound compared to the x700? I have the x800 and it is the best sounding CD player I've ever had, and want DV but don't want to downgrade audio. The x700 and x800 have slightly different audio specs, so that's why I am wondering...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is it possible that when DV is set on all your forcing is the deep color settings and with the metadata for DV or HDR missing it just defaults to a normal range of SDR settings?

·
Registered
509 Posts
How does the ES sound compared to the x700? I have the x800 and it is the best sounding CD player I've ever had, and want DV but don't want to downgrade audio. The x700 and x800 have slightly different audio specs, so that's why I am wondering...
The surround channels of X700 overpower the front LRC when playing multichannel SACD, despite sending PCM signal via HDMI to processor. The surround levels are just off and harsh on the X700 compared to X1000ES. X700 doesn't support DVD-Audio so I can't compare on that department. X700 doesn't have analog L/R ch output so I can't comment on that department either. Playing CDs on X700 passing bitstream PCM via coaxial or HDMI to the processor has identical performance to the X1000ES. But playing CDs (and 2 ch SACD) using the internal DAC of X1000ES via L/R analog out produce much more nuanced and detailed sound compared to coax, digital or HDMI out of X1000ES itself.

1901 - 1920 of 4186 Posts