AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 10202 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Dolby Vision: No support announced from Sony at this time.

Firmware / Service info:

Service update Released April 28th. New apps added:
Mubi, Sirius XM, Slacker Radio and Berlin Philharmonic

--
Firmware M36.R.0173 Released April 26th 2017 (USA/CA)
Adds supports for additional network services (YouTube™ and Spotify® Connect)
Expands 4K UHD content availability for some TVs
Changes the background of the UI (user interface)

---
Service update April 12th added Hulu, MLB, iHeart Radio, WWE Network, Pandora

---
Firmware M36.R.0111 Released 2nd March 2017 (USA). Adds support for Amazon Video 4K, Vudu and Opera TV store apps platform.

---
Current USA apps:

Netflix (4K, HDR Support, Dolby Digital, 24fps)
Amazon Video (4K, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
YouTube (4K, HDR Support, 24fps)
Vudu (3D support, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
Opera TV Store
Hulu Plus
MLB
iHeart Radio
WWE Network
Pandora
Spotify Connect
Crackle
Mubi,
Sirius XM,
Slacker Radio
Berlin Philharmonic
Fox News
Yupp TV

Sony's first Ultra HD Blu-Ray player announced at CES 2017

Price: $299 (USA)

Features

• 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback
  • 4K HDR to SDR conversion (
    When playing 4K HDR content on a 4K SDR television the UBP-X800 utilizes a unique Sony algorithm that you can adjust to reproduce the proper brightness and color gradations to provide the best picture possible.)
  • 3D Support
  • Multi disc playback (DVD-V, DVD-A, Bluray, 3D Bluray, SACD, CD, UHD)
  • 4K HDR support (HDR10)
  • Dolby® Atmos and DTS:X support
  • Support for the new BT.2020 color spaces
  • High resolution audio support
  • DSEE HX audio enhancement for audio files
  • Unique frame-and-beam chassis offers a rigid structure to eliminate micro-vibrations
  • Network playback (DLNA and USB)
  • Streaming services/Apps (See Above).
  • Bluetooth audio (with LDAC) and multi-room support with SongPal app
  • Coaxial digital, Ethernet and Twin HDMI outputs. Front USB port.
  • Screen mirroring (Android)
  • 2 Free UHD disks through offer below.

Specifications

Disc BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray™
Video format
AVCHD Disc Format, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg, .MPEG, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS (.mpg, .MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)
Audio Format
AAC (.AAC, .mka), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby® Digital (.ac3, .mka), DSD - DSDIFF/DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), HEAAC v.1/v.2/level2, LP cm (.mka), Vorbis, WMA10 Pro, WMA9 Standard (.WMA)
Photo format
BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), PNG (.png)

Dimensions (W x H x D)
W17 x H2 1/4 x D10 3/4 (inch); W430 x H54 x D270 (mm)
Weight 8 lb 7 oz (3.8 kg)

Picture Feature
4K Upscale (60p), HDR → SDR converter, Deep Color (12-bit), 24p True Cinema™
Certified Hi-Res Audio Yes
Dolby Dolby Atmos / Dolby® True HD decoding (7.1ch)
DTS
DTS decoding (7.1ch)
DSEE HX Yes
Bluetooth Bluetooth® TX, LDAC

USA release date: Available Feb 23rd 2017.
Other Territories TBC.

Buy now at: Amazon, Best Buy and B&H.

Support: Sony x800 eSupport

Promotions:

Limited time offer(2/10/17 to 11:59 PM PST on 09/30/17- Customers who purchase a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player between 2/10/17 - 9/30/17 will have the opportunity to receive two free Sony Pictures 4K Ultra HD Discs, from a selection of over 15+ titles. Visit www.sony.com/4kdiscbundle to see promotion and redemption details.

Movies included in promotion:

Pasengers, The 5th Wave, Angels and Demons, Chappie, Concussion, The Davinci Code, Inferno, Ghostbusters (2016), The Magnificent Seven, Pride+Prejudice+Zombies, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Risen, Salt, Sausage Party, Amazing Spiderman 2, Angry Birds Movie, The Shallows and Underworld.

Overview of X800 from Eric Kingdon (Sony Europe) :

·
UHD Addict
37,433 Posts
I don't have mine yet. I haven't even ordered it yet. I'm waiting for it to show up in the physical store at BestBuy before I make my purchase. I'm looking forward to pairing the Sony X800 with my Sony UHD TV and Sony Speaker bar. I've been using the Sammy UHD BD player with them for over a year now.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hoping to pick it up within a week or two, just need to read some reviews/impressions from AVS users first :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Will be picking one up tonight. Main need is hdr to sdr bt2020 conversion with an hdfury integral. I currently have the oppo and Panasonic players to compare. Oppo is already going back so it will be between the Panasonic and Sony. Not even sure if the Sony will be able to do sdr bt2020 with the intergal. If not that will make this an easy choice to return. If it does I'll need to do a lot of a/b comparison.

I'll post my findings and general impressions this weekend.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
For those who do get a chance to test out this player, can you let us know what apps it features? Specifically does it have Amazon 4K w/HDR, Netflix 4K w/HDR, VUDU w/UHD, Fandango Now, and Sony Ultra? Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My Sony UBP-X800 is out for delivery. I live in Northern California area. Will be connected to my LG OLEDB6P UHD TV. Does anyone who has received theirs already know if it comes with the free 4K Ultra Blu-ray movies mentioned in the Amazon product page?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wish Sony had published the manual. Wife picked mine up so I will play with it tonight. would like to read what settings correlate with this:

"4K HDR to SDR conversion (
When playing 4K HDR content on a 4K SDR television the UBP-X800 utilizes a unique Sony algorithm that you can adjust to reproduce the proper brightness and color gradations to provide the best picture possible.)"

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
As with the other threads (Oppo, Samsung, Panasonic) that we are transitioning from, please do not clog the thread with order status, waiting, etc.. Keep those to the announcement thread.

Reactions: farkem and RonAlam

·
Registered
646 Posts
My Sony UBP-X800 is out for delivery. I live in Northern California area. Will be connected to my LG OLEDB6P UHD TV. Does anyone who has received theirs already know if it comes with the free 4K Ultra Blu-ray movies mentioned in the Amazon product page?
Mine had a sticker on the outside of the box with the free movie offer information. It lists a website to go to where you fill in your name, address, etc. along withe the serial number of your unit. It states that after 2 or 3 business days, you will receive a redemption code via email which you then use to select the movies you want.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable about projectors, but there is an item in the setup menu called "Display Type". The two options to choose from are "TV" and "Projector".
Thanks. I don't have one yet, but what I meant, because they're both Sony, they may fit well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread

I'm not knowledgeable about projectors, but there is an item in the setup menu called "Display Type". The two options to choose from are "TV" and "Projector".

That's really interesting that they have the choice, I wonder what choosing one or the other would cause the player to do differently.

Is it possible projector mode would strip hdr and send sdr bt2020 like every projector owner wants? Would be a good move by Sony.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Received mine

first impression:
1. vudu and amazon does not work, needs software update, but there are no updates yet.
netflix seems to work, I did not login. NO SONY ULTRA 4K (big no-no for non Sony TV owners). No VUE, no playstation video. Needs further software update.

2. load time is very fast. faster than samsung k8500, philips, xbox. Comparable to OPPO

3. 4k 60p, mkv, dts hd through usb (like the s6500 I had), info shows HDR, if no hdr detected, it will show SDR, AV type.

4. overall feels solid, not like the plastic s6500. definitely feels higher quality than k8500, philips. smaller form factor than oppo, but feels just as heavy.

that's it for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Received mine

first impression:
1. vudu and amazon does not work, needs software update, but there are no updates yet.
netflix seems to work, I did not login. NO SONY ULTRA 4K (big no-no for non Sony TV owners). No VUE, no playstation video. Needs further software update.

hows the pic quality compared to the sammy?

2. load time is very fast. faster than samsung k8500, philips, xbox. Comparable to OPPO

3. 4k 60p, mkv, dts hd through usb (like the s6500 I had), info shows HDR, if no hdr detected, it will show SDR, AV type.

4. overall feels solid, not like the plastic s6500. definitely feels higher quality than k8500, philips. smaller form factor than oppo, but feels just as heavy.

that's it for now.
hows the pic quality compared to the sammy?

1 - 20 of 10202 Posts