AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 10309 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Many of us have had success using Monoprice certified premium HDMI cables with the X800. They are pretty cheap and they get them to you fast. Might be worth a try. Is your TV on the latest firmware? Late last year the Hisense needed a firmware update in order to get HDR over HDMI inputs 3 & 4. If you bought your set recently it probably has it already. Don't know where you see notification that it is in HDR mode. On a lot of TVs you see a brief popup that tells you the TV has sensed HDR and is in that mode.
It's on the latest firmware as far as I know and I double check every do often to make sure it hasn't missed one. They say it won't show HDR just automatically adjust when it detects a HDR signal coming in.
It is also known it doesn't hit all the specs but gets it to about 83 percent of what a fully compliant set can hit. I guess many wont do the maximum brightness anyways but this thing seems way brighter than my old Sony 50EX645 I was perfectly happy with. It's only around 550 anyways so I think most buyers are happy with it considering the bang per buck you get.
The eBay seller has said he is going to send me some different supposedly compliant cables and the one I'm using now shows HDR on the Sony when it's playing a HDR disk and the bit rate hits around 50 at times. If the new ones don't work I'll check out mono price as I've bought cables and speakers and switches before from them and they've always been high quality for a great price.
I've had issues before with almost any hdmi cable and certain gear before so not surprised my combo might be picky.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's on the latest firmware as far as I know and I double check every do often to make sure it hasn't missed one. They say it won't show HDR just automatically adjust when it detects a HDR signal coming in.
It is also known it doesn't hit all the specs but gets it to about 83 percent of what a fully compliant set can hit. I guess many wont do the maximum brightness anyways but this thing seems way brighter than my old Sony 50EX645 I was perfectly happy with. It's only around 550 anyways so I think most buyers are happy with it considering the bang per buck you get.
The eBay seller has said he is going to send me some different supposedly compliant cables and the one I'm using now shows HDR on the Sony when it's playing a HDR disk and the bit rate hits around 50 at times. If the new ones don't work I'll check out mono price as I've bought cables and speakers and switches before from them and they've always been high quality for a great price.
I've had issues before with almost any hdmi cable and certain gear before so not surprised my combo might be picky.
Me too, I've had issues with various cables and different equipment over the years. I have a box of HDMI cables, some will work fine in one situation but not in another. Hopefully your seller will come through for you. From what I've heard about your set it does deliver a lot for the price. Good luck with your setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys! I just picked up one of these to replace the Samsung yesterday. I got it fired up and noticed that it has an HDR setting in the menu from 1 to 5 active while watching a movie. It seems to make the picture brighter or darker. Is this similar to the HDR slider that was added in firmware to the Panasonic. I found that while watching Planet Earth II it was helpful to make things pop better. Thanks!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Was just watching a few episodes of Parks and Recs on Netflix and it crashed like once an episode and then once when watching a movie. Anyone else having this many issues? I have up to date everything.

I was watching a UHD movie last night and near the end the blu-ray locked up.

I've also had times when I couldn't turn off the player or open it to pull out a disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Guys! I just picked up one of these to replace the Samsung yesterday. I got it fired up and noticed that it has an HDR setting in the menu from 1 to 5 active while watching a movie. It seems to make the picture brighter or darker. Is this similar to the HDR slider that was added in firmware to the Panasonic. I found that while watching Planet Earth II it was helpful to make things pop better. Thanks!
Interesting, wasn't aware the Sony had that, it was a very welcome addition on my Panny player

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
So where do you access it? I haven't seen that, but I didn't upgrade my firmware yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The setting shows up while watching a movie and hitting the options button. It will bring up a menu and you can select HDR then the slider will appear. If it is similar to the Panny then this is a great player for the money!!!! I already like it way better than the Samsung but did not want to spring for the Panasonic at twice the price.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hdr slider

So where do you access it? I haven't seen that, but I didn't upgrade my firmware yet.
I believe the HDR Slider "only" appears if its converting HDR to SDR. Then the slider will appear while watching a 4k/HDR disc hit OPTIONS on your remote and its under the heading of HDR CONVERSION.. Since my 65 inch SONY 4K TV is non HDR and while watching a 4k /HDR Blu Ray I see on screen that it is converting HDR to SDR then when I hit OPTIONS I will get the HDR slider. I dont know if it appears if you have an 4k/HDR TV since I dont have one. I think the slider only appears if converting HDR to SDR (at least thats how I understood the manual).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the HDR Slider "only" appears if its converting HDR to SDR. Then the slider will appear while watching a 4k/HDR disc hit OPTIONS on your remote. Since my 65 inch SONY 4K TV is non HDR and while wathcing a 4k /HDR Blu Ray I see on screen that it is converting HDR to SDR then when I hit OPTIONS I will get the HDR slider. I dont know if it appears if you have an 4k/HDR TV since I dont have one. I think the slider only appears if converting HDR to SDR (at least thats how I understood the manual).

That makes sense since my projector is not HDR capable. I am about to upgrade it and the new one will be HDR so I will test it when that happens. I have always liked the Sony DVD/Blu-Ray players over the years. They have always worked well and been extremely well built.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The quality (the "wow" factor) for 4K/HDR and even DOLBY ATMOS/DTS-X can vary from title to title not to mention the 4K TV and the 4K Blu Ray player your playing it on. So many variables.
Just got my X-800 a week ago and was very impressed with both the 4K quality and the DOLBY ATMOS with "In the Heart of the Sea"and "Planet Earth 2"("Planet Earth 2" is NOT in ATMOS by the way)... but last night watched my "free" 4K Blu ray that I received when registering my X-800 "The Magnificent Seven" and although the 4K quality was impressive I was not overwhelmed and the DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack was so-so.
A following is a good link to search for the title of your choice and get a review of not only the 4K quality vs the 1080 quality and the DOLBY ATMOS quality vs the 7.1 quality .....and it even reviews the HDR quality of the title :
http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quic...earch_keyword=atmos+demo&section=bluraymovies

On a side note, if your avr/pp has the ability to transcode atmos to dts- neural x , try it , I have come to prefer atmos/dd transcoded to dts- neural x. I have 4 ceiling speakers and dts-x/neural seem to put more information to the height channels than atmos , that gives more of an immersive feel. I'm sure the atmos engineers didn't intend what dts-x/neural will do with it but it sounds more immersive and appealing to me, intended by the authors or not.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was watching a UHD movie last night and near the end the blu-ray locked up.

I've also had times when I couldn't turn off the player or open it to pull out a disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has happened to me several times as well with this player. As recently as night before last watching Star Trek Beyond it just froze about 3/4 of the way through the movie, couldn't turn the player off, couldn't eject the disc, couldn't do anything. Had to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to start functioning again. And there are times it just doesn't respond to the remote, it won't open the disk drawer, nothing. They have some firmware/software problems right now with this player.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Passengers was also one of my free titles. The other one is The Shallows. Have not watched it yet. For those of you that have seen it should it be a good demo of 4K? I may go pick up Planet Earth 2 at BB today.
If Blake Lively in 4K HDR doesn't make your eyes pop out of your head, then you are a lost cause my friend.

:cool:

That said, my experience has been that the improvement varies significantly. From marginal (Ghostbusters) to jaw-dropping (Hacksaw Ridge and The Martian). The improvements can be subtle, but significant. Make sure you do a fair comparison, by throwing in the standard Blu-ray after watching it in 4K HDR, which is what I did with Hacksaw Ridge. That was when I realized what I forked over all that money for, and that it was worth it. The standard Blu-ray looked flat in comparison.

Reactions: jimsmith94

·
Registered
886 Posts
I sure do hope that Sony does a firmware upgrade to include the HDR slider when sending HDR to a HDR capable display (projector in my case).

I loved that feature in the Panasonic UB900 and that is the reason I may return the Sony X800 for a Panasonic UB400.
What possible purpose or reason would you want an HDR "Slider" when you are connected to an HDR display?

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
What possible purpose or reason would you want an HDR "Slider" when you are connected to an HDR display?
Some Members with older, dimmer HDR sets may find it of some help.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
This has happened to me several times as well with this player. As recently as night before last watching Star Trek Beyond it just froze about 3/4 of the way through the movie, couldn't turn the player off, couldn't eject the disc, couldn't do anything. Had to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to start functioning again. And there are times it just doesn't respond to the remote, it won't open the disk drawer, nothing. They have some firmware/software problems right now with this player.
I had a similar lockup last night (watching Pacific Rim UHD). After unplugging the player and plugging it in again, I was able to watch the movie without issues. (Played through the spot where it hung before.)

I had similar things happen with a Samsung UBD-K8500. Hard lock, no response to remote or buttons on the unit.

My memory is getting a little hazy, but I think that it may have happened with a Philips BDP7501 as well.

If there's a player that never locks up while playing a UHD disc, it's not one of the ones that I have experienced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Passengers was also one of my free titles. The other one is The Shallows. Have not watched it yet. For those of you that have seen it should it be a good demo of 4K? I may go pick up Planet Earth 2 at BB today.
Picture quality is reference quality. I was surprise at how good a 2K upscaled intermediate could look. Of the movies that I own it's one of the best in terms of picture quality. Movie was actually watchable and enjoyable, although I found it more comedic that thriller or horror. It's up there with the The Revenant and X-Men Apocalypse picture quality wise. In my opinion PE2 picture quality is hit or miss. Some scenes are good and others not so good. It also didn't help that PE2 was not that interesting compared to the first one or Life.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm liking contrast +6 on the darker movies, like Passengers and Revenant. Yes, max contrast! At that setting on either of those movies it still never clips highlights on my tv, but the HDR goes from greyish highlights to bright whites. For other brighter movies +2 is working well for me.

The problem is the higher your contrast setting the more the colors become yellowed and desaturated, but you can mostly fix that after from your tv settings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does this 4k player allow you to access Windows shared files like the PS4? I am looking for a one shop stop where I can play movies from my cloud hard drive in AVi files ect. Right now for the LG UHD player I can only play them via USB. Really debating on taking my LG back to get the Sony due to this lack of feature and mainly because the UHD 4k disc are extremely loud when playing!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Picture quality is reference quality. I was surprise at how good a 2K upscaled intermediate could look. Of the movies that I own it's one of the best in terms of picture quality. Movie was actually watchable and enjoyable, although I found it more comedic that thriller or horror. It's up there with the The Revenant and X-Men Apocalypse picture quality wise. In my opinion PE2 picture quality is hit or miss. Some scenes are good and others not so good. It also didn't help that PE2 was not that interesting compared to the first one or Life.
Sony pictures does a really good job w/ this stuff! All their titles look good.

2961 - 2980 of 10309 Posts