AVS Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 10309 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
What possible purpose or reason would you want an HDR "Slider" when you are connected to an HDR display?

Also, there are variations in the way studios master their HDR levels that they record onto disc. That plus the fact that projector owners with screens larger than 100" cannot get the same brightness levels as the smaller oled or lcd screens. I wish it were the same playing field but the technologies between the display devices are totally different and the pros and cons between them are also varied.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does this 4k player allow you to access Windows shared files like the PS4? I am looking for a one shop stop where I can play movies from my cloud hard drive in AVi files ect. Right now for the LG UHD player I can only play them via USB. Really debating on taking my LG back to get the Sony due to this lack of feature and mainly because the UHD 4k disc are extremely loud when playing!
Yes the Sony can do exactly what you are thinking but only through DNLA shares or as a rendering machine. It has played most all of my 1080p files and also most of my 4K demos depending on the bitrate and audio type.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just received the email that was supposed to contain my redemption code for the free 4K discs but there's no redemption code. It says, "Here's your redemption code:" followed by a blank line.

Not the best customer experience I've had.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just received the email that was supposed to contain my redemption code for the free 4K discs but there's no redemption code. It says, "Here's your redemption code:" followed by a blank line.

I got exactly the same email today...no code! I emailed customer service. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Love the player with my Epson 5040 so far though...incredible!

·
Registered
964 Posts

I bought my player from a small local shop and they told me they were an authorized Sony dealer.

When I registered my player so I could get the free discs, the small shop I ordered from was not in their list.

I went ahead and selected a different store, and when it got to the end it said they would verify the info and I'd receive an email after that.

I honestly didn't think I'd get the code, but the next day they sent the email with the code.

I ordered 2 discs on Saturday and got notification the discs were mailed today.

I'd bet you could call them and they'd get your issue straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well my replacement hi speed 4k cable arrived today and it too doesn't display anything when I plug it in to my Hisense tv. I decided just for giggles to drop the hdmi mode from enhanced to regular and the video came on and player still claimed it was sending HDR to the tv. God I really hate these hdmi cables, you never know what's going to work with what. I have some cables I paid 1.98 for 4 high speed supposedly 4k supported. They work better than the real 4k cables I bought and do work in enhanced hdmi mode.

By the way I have also had the player pause and hard lock while I was switching disks around and cables. I just had passengers start locking and pixelating while I was swapping stuff around checking out the new cable. Restarted the player and it still did it so I pulled the disk. It had some heavy finger prints and minor smudges on it so I cleaned it up and all the issues stopped so make sure the disks are clean.
And if you have marginal cables try dropping down from enhanced mode and see if your video works. At least you can watch movies till you get cables your set up likes. I couldn't see any difference in the quality, it still played HDR and all that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got exactly the same email today...no code! I emailed customer service. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Love the player with my Epson 5040 so far though...incredible!
I also got the blank email! Contacted Sony chat support, but was at work and didn't have my serial number to give them to get a code.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was just watching a few episodes of Parks and Recs on Netflix and it crashed like once an episode and then once when watching a movie. Anyone else having this many issues? I have up to date everything.
Same issues here, although not as frequent. I'm on my second player, cause I thought a new one might be better. No dice, but maybe 3rd times a charm. I did get the extended warranty from bb this time though. I haven't seen a fix or a bunch of complaints on this either, but I've stayed away from this thread for a week or so. I've been considering the Samsung m9500, but I hate Samsung's color over-saturation tendencies. Not sure, maybe the new Panasonic players will be out soon. Honestly, I really want to love the Sony player, I just don't want $300's worth of problems.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well mine was pretty warm when it had issues and the disk was dirty. I think Sony will support this thing pretty well for a while as it seems to be one of their look at our awesome technology type of unit. I bet they release a firmware update or whatever it takes if this turns out to be a issue with a lot of players. When I was just watching a movie and not beating on it testing cables and hdr disk playback it worked fine, and like I said I got some nasty finger prints on the last disk having problems.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Does this 4k player allow you to access Windows shared files like the PS4? I am looking for a one shop stop where I can play movies from my cloud hard drive in AVi files ect. Right now for the LG UHD player I can only play them via USB. Really debating on taking my LG back to get the Sony due to this lack of feature and mainly because the UHD 4k disc are extremely loud when playing!
Yes the Sony can do exactly what you are thinking but only through DNLA shares or as a rendering machine. It has played most all of my 1080p files and also most of my 4K demos depending on the bitrate and audio type.
If the question is whether or not the X800 is able to access Windows Shares directly, then the answer is absolutely not.

As EricE pointed out, however, there are other options available to you where you run software at the sharing system to expose the content via DLNA. I run Plex and have all of my content available via DLNA, the Plex app, and can also access the same content directly via Windows sharing (Samba on Linux). Plex is a recent addition but the Windows-based access I've had in place for about six years.

·
Registered
346 Posts

I was able to "talk" to live chat today (got no answer last night). He said to send the email with no code to [email protected] and they would try to straighten things out and send me a code. I told him that others had had the same experience.

Reactions: ricksastro

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
The player is locking up playing 4K disks? Reported to Sony?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
It is indeed strange how some players are "locking up". I haven't had that so far.
Software in these players is pretty fragile, I don't think there's any model out there that doesn't lock up at some point.

Reactions: goksucats

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I need to replace my current Bluray player and was considering
this Sony. I currently have a Panasonic Ae3000 projector and a Pioneer
SC-07 receiver both of which will be replaced with 4K units over the next
year or two. But in the meantime, has anyone successfully paired this player
with older Pioneer receivers? From reading a few posts on here it appears some