AVS Forum banner

9701 - 9720 of 10128 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
So basically the X800 runs on Windows 95, i.e. the longer it runs the more likely it will freeze up, so one should preemptively reboot it occasionally to prevent a lockup :D

Good to know I'm not alone with my lockups. So great when it works, so frustrating how often it seizes up. Guess I'll be looking into Panasonic for my next player.
If this happens what about warranty?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just when I thought I didn’t have any lock ups. LOL

Mine just froze up in the middle of my new 13 Hours 4k.

Quick unplug fixed it, I also turned off the quick start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For two years I have had pretty much flawless results with HDMI1 connected directly to an Epson projector and HDMI2 set to audio out feeding a Sony receiver. Suddenly I get no audio from HDMI2 but I do get audio from the coax out and from HDMI1 (if I turn off audio to HDMI2).

Do you think this is a hardware failure or did something change with a recent software update?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've noticed the bass is a lot stronger when streaming from my Gen1 FireTV through an optical cable, vs streaming through my X800.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I played a couple of demo scenes back to back on both players streaming from Netflix and bass was really lacking when it was streamed through the X800.

As far as the locking up thing, I use both HDMI outs and the quick start feature is on. I used to get a lock up every once in a while, but haven't for a long time now.

I was thinking about trying a different player but Im not sure if there is really anything noticeably better out there right now as my 900E TV isnt Dolby Vision compatible anyways.
One thing that comes to mind is to check the Audio DRC setting found on p. 22 in the manual. For best sound it should be OFF but is on AUTO by default which applies compression to some discs (not sure about streaming).

Also, since it sounds like you're using two different inputs on the receiver, is it possible that they have separate tone parameters for each and one may have a higher bass setting than the other? Since you said the Fire goes into the tv first, maybe the tv has tone controls which also are affecting it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
UBP-X800 disc lockups:

I thought I had solved the infrequent...but annoying.....UHD disc lockups when I installed a "micro" USB stick in the player. It went quite a while with no problems, but has recently hung up on Schindler's List and 13 Hours. I think it may have been around the layer 3 transition.....around the last 1/3 of the movie. In both instances the player was not consistently responsive to FF or Rew or chapter skip and when it was responsive, it would hang again at roughly the same point. Just stopping the disc, starting it again and skipping to the start of the "hang" chapter would allow the disc to play through with no hang up..... The recent hangups did not require a power off or plug pull. I did have a couple of those....lockups?.....when I first got the player 2 years ago, but nothing that drastic in the last 18 months or so.

The player is only used for UHD discs......

Cheers,
phannon

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m starting to think some of this may be sensitivity to the disc. For example I just got the Ghostbusters 4K and it hung in the same place every time - so I assumed like you it was the L3 transition. For reasons I won’t bore you with I had access to the same disc from another set - and that works fine. I can’t see anything with the naked eye, but I’m guessing there are ‘micro scratches’ or something that the laser in this unit just can’t error handle properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It's not just playing movies... My Sony locks when streaming videos as well.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I'm sure it's not related to the disc...

I'm guessing this is a power supply directional glitch.

I don't have x800 but the Sony UHP-H1.
I had to return one to warranty....

I hear X800 has same issues... My understanding is that this is more or less a problem and more hardware/software related.

In my new player it's almost no problem. But I had a couple freeze when streaming Hi Rez music from my phone.

I found out I Can not shuffle and must play only folders...

I think/guessing this is related to the way the electrics and power supply is made. It's a all in one player/streamer, and this may be tricky.

The player also use time too boot up and go to home, it's no real main switch, you most also wait for it too shut down properly.

I wonder if the 1000 and 1100 has same issues.

The Denons I've had before was simply on and off, good power supply and very reliable functions.. but that was before the streaming era.

I've heard rumors Sony's always had this issues. Cudos to Sony for making everything themselves. Maybe they get it right..

Sent fra min AGS-W09 via Tapatalk

·
Banned
739 Posts
Have anyone tried to play Blu-ray Audio Dts-Hd master audio 24bit 192hz 5.1? With X800?

I can't get this to work on H1, I believe it only works as PCM...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Have anyone tried to play Blu-ray Audio Dts-Hd master audio 24bit 192hz 5.1? With X800?

I can't get this to work on H1, I believe it only works as PCM...

Have you tried switching the DSP mode on your AVR. On my Pioneer Elite SC97. I need to select Direct, Pure Direct.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's not just playing movies... My Sony locks when streaming videos as well.
A friend of mine has this issue too, X800 on a 2016 LG OLED.
I have never had this issues, X800 on AF8.

Might this be due to HDMI ports/ data communication?
AF8 HDMI 2/3 is specced higher compared to the older LG OLED tv's...AF8 should possible be 2.1 after a software update.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m starting to think some of this may be sensitivity to the disc. For example I just got the Ghostbusters 4K and it hung in the same place every time - so I assumed like you it was the L3 transition. For reasons I won’t bore you with I had access to the same disc from another set - and that works fine. I can’t see anything with the naked eye, but I’m guessing there are ‘micro scratches’ or something that the laser in this unit just can’t error handle properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every, yes EVERY disc I had lockup issues with plays perfectly after cleaning with some warm water and dishwasher soap....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sorry for off topic question but I am trying to make sure that a bluray disc that is a UK import will play on this player? The sellers info on E-bay says it is "Region 2/Region B"

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Sorry for off topic question but I am trying to make sure that a bluray disc that is a UK import will play on this player? The sellers info on E-bay says it is "Region 2/Region B"
Nope.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every, yes EVERY disc I had lockup issues with plays perfectly after cleaning with some warm water and dishwasher soap....
As a counter data point, every disc I've had lockups with I just started playing again after unplugging and replugging the power, and they worked fine. I would fast forward to right before the lockup occurred, and the player would power right through the rest of the movie. These discs were all newly unwrapped from shrinkwrap. At least in my case the problem is definitely the player and not the discs.

It could be a coincidence but I think they were all 4K discs as I haven't been watching too many regular blu-rays since getting 4K.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
A friend of mine has this issue too, X800 on a 2016 LG OLED.
I have never had this issues, X800 on AF8.

Might this be due to HDMI ports/ data communication?
AF8 HDMI 2/3 is specced higher compared to the older LG OLED tv's...AF8 should possible be 2.1 after a software update.

Unlikely... I stream from my NAS to my DLNA clients. It works with my Sony BDP-6200, BDP-7200, Oppo BDP-95 and Samsung UDP-8500. It does not work with my X800 or X700. The video freezes at certain points and it is repeatable at that same point on both players. Another hassle is that the X700/800 does not recognize chapter stops like the older players do.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Then again, UHD discs are region free. The discs I have contain in 70% of cases also region-free regular BD disc. The rest are still old-style region-coded.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Then again, UHD discs are region free. The discs I have contain in 70% of cases also region-free regular BD disc. The rest are still old-style region-coded.

The Blu-ray disc is "Leonard Cohen Live In Dublin". The E-bay seller from GB says it is Region 2/B and won't play on USA players but there's another listing from a seller in the US that the disc. So I guess it's possible it was manufactured twice and the one he is selling was manufactured in the US so maybe it will play.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
The Blu-ray disc is "Leonard Cohen Live In Dublin". The E-bay seller from GB says it is Region 2/B and won't play on USA players but there's another listing from a seller in the US that the disc. So I guess it's possible it was manufactured twice and the one he is selling was manufactured in the US so maybe it will play.
As noted earlier a Blu-ray labeled Region B will not play on the US version of the Sony X800.

Region B: Europe, Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand.

The Leonard Cohen Live In Dublin is marketed as a CD music set with the Blu-ray included as an extra.

Leonard Cohen - Live In Dublin is an extraordinary full-length concert recording and film. Lensed and recorded at Dublin's 02 Arena on September 12, 2013, Leonard Cohen - Live In Dublin documents a peak performance from the musician's monumental sold out 2012-2013 world tour, introducing Cohen's then-latest release (2012's Old Ideas) within a major canonical on-stage retrospective.

This state-of-the-art audio-visual presentation of a full length concert from the Old Ideas world tour delivers this artists' repertoire (backed by a band recognized by critics as Cohen's best ever) with the intimacy, wisdom and intensity that has become a trademark of a Leonard Cohen concert. Live in Dublin recreates the deep emotional connection that audiences felt so powerfully and critics universally praised with five star reviews during Cohen s most recent tour.

Blu-Ray includes a full show from September 12th, 2013.
DVD Bonus songs
Show Me The Place Halifax, NS, Canada April 13, 2013 Halifax Metro Centre
Anyhow St. Johns, NL, Canada April 20, 2013 Mile One Centre
Different Sides St. John, NB, Canada April 15, 2013 Harbour Station
https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Cohen-Live-in-Dublin-Blu-ray/dp/B00O87J9HG?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-000-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00O87J9HG&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

9701 - 9720 of 10128 Posts