AVS Forum banner

10041 - 10060 of 10149 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
How do you mean that?
There are only 3 HDR formats defined for Bluray - HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. There is no HDR without HDR10 in the consumer Bluray world.
Thank you very much for your explanation. In my ignorance, I thought HDR and DOLBY VISION were competing brands and now I understand the "competition" is between HDR10/HDR10+ and DOLBY VISION.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have mine set to native resolution and no upscaling. Going through a Denon x6200w and Ruipro fiber hdmi to a Benq HT3550. No issues.
Maybe try that and see if it helps.
Good luck!
Anyone here know what a folder symbol next to the disc icon on the home screen means? I just got a copy of fargo remastered on Blu ray, and no issues with the disc, but when I put the disc in the player I noticed that there was a folder icon next to to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Anyone here know what a folder symbol next to the disc icon on the home screen means? I just got a copy of fargo remastered on Blu ray, and no issues with the disc, but when I put the disc in the player I noticed that there was a folder icon next to to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it.
From Page 15:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys quick question hopefully someone can explain this in more detail. Whats the difference between display type tv and projector? Obviously its pretty self explanatory which to choose but what does it do exactly? I have a x950g on my marantz receiver monitor 1 and my benq ht3050 on my monitor 2.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Guys quick question hopefully someone can explain this in more detail. Whats the difference between display type tv and projector? Obviously its pretty self explanatory which to choose but what does it do exactly? I have a x950g on my marantz receiver monitor 1 and my benq ht3050 on my monitor 2.
I've heard it's best to just leave it on tv, both for tv and pj. I have with my 900e and Benq HT3550 and everything works and looks great.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I am assuming that the 800 is attempting to adjust its HDR conversion to better match up with your type of display... between a projector with lesser overall brightness or overall dynamic range capability as compared to a TV display?

x[HDR Output]
[Auto]: Outputs HDR signal depending on
contents and HDMI-SINK capability.
Conversion function is applied when content
is HDR and HDMI-SINK does not support HDR.
[Off]: Always output SDR.
x[Display Type]
[TV]: Select this when the player is connected
to TV.
[Projector]: Select this when the player is
connected to Projector.
z
[HDR Conversion] will be adjusted according to
the display type you select. Even though same
setting value of [HDR Conversion] is selected,
dynamic range of picture is different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have an X800, appreciate what you have. I just purchased a Panasonic UB820 and I am not happy. The depth of rendering and richness of image is much better on the Sony. Sony X800 looks more like film and the UB820 is lacking in depth. Its like choosing between a Leica Lens and a Canon Lens. The Canon Lens is great no doubt, but there is something about the rendering of great lenses like Leica and Zeiss that just plain mesmerize. Sony is more like a Leica. IMO Enjoy the X800. It really is a great player.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you have an X800, appreciate what you have. I just purchased a Panasonic UB820 and I am not happy. The depth of rendering and richness of image is much better on the Sony. Sony X800 looks more like film and the UB820 is lacking in depth. Its like choosing between a Leica Lens and a Canon Lens. The Canon Lens is great no doubt, but there is something about the rendering of great lenses like Leica and Zeiss that just plain mesmerize. Sony is more like a Leica. IMO Enjoy the X800. It really is a great player.
Interesting to hear this. Where are you located? I would be happy to trade you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have any of you ever had an issue with Redbox rental discs? I thought I had a player issue with my Sony UBP-X800 when two discs would not display properly. One disc was a blu-ray and the other a DVD. I hooked up a retired Oppo BDP-83 and had similar issues. Both players were set to upscale the image. When I set both players to play the discs without any upscaling, the discs played normally in both players. I can't say I've ever seen this issue with any disc until these two rental discs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have any of you ever had an issue with Redbox rental discs? I thought I had a player issue with my Sony UBP-X800 when two discs would not display properly. One disc was a blu-ray and the other a DVD. I hooked up a retired Oppo BDP-83 and had similar issues. Both players were set to upscale the image. When I set both players to play the discs without any upscaling, the discs played normally in both players. I can't say I've ever seen this issue with any disc until these two rental discs.
Did you clean the discs? It may work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, I cleaned the discs. Whatever it was, I just turned off any upscaling and have not had that same issue again. Now, about those random freeze ups...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yes, I cleaned the discs. Whatever it was, I just turned off any upscaling and have not had that same issue again. Now, about those random freeze ups...
Whether or not upscaling is enabled would seem to have no direct relationship to the discs being from Redbox. Upscaling happens well after the content is read, and that's a purely digital process (it either reads or it doesn't). It's interesting that you found this to be the issue... Unless... are these 4K discs? If so, is it possible that the player was trying to revert to lower quality data content because it couldn't read the 4K content? Or maybe the other way around?

Either way... I set every connected device to pass all content in native resolution and let my TV do the upscaling. It's exceptionally good at it...

·
Registered
286 Posts
No, there shouldn't be a relationship there. If there had been an issue with one disc in one player I would chalk it up to a bad disc. But, for two discs to have the same issue in two different players is odd. One disc was a blu-ray and the other a DVD. Just one of those things I guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone tried to play mp4 files in this player? The output always defaults to 60fps. I tried to play 720p 30fps and 24fps mp4 files from usb. If I choose original resolution and turn off 4k upscaling, it outputs 1080p @ 60fps. If I choose auto, the output is 4k @ 60fps. No matter what option I choose, I always get 60fps for mp4 files (videos are not smooth). Mkv files, avi files, dvd, bluray etc. are outputting the correct fps when auto is chosen.
I guess the only option I have is to convert mp4 to mkv for smooth playback.

Other than this and mkv chapter / mkv atmos issue, this player has pretty good quality and playback features.

In the auto mode, if the player switches from 4k to 1080p for framepacked 3d output, without having to manually change it for 3d, it would be great.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a smartphone app that will let me control the dlna music player on this unit without turning on my TV? I just want to play music without turning on the projector.
What about something like an Echo device to play music via DLNA? Yes, I can appreciate having excellent quality from a full audio system, but I often listen to music on my Echo devices.

10041 - 10060 of 10149 Posts