AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1622 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting this up now that they are in the wild, mine is on order from VE, hopefully shipping next week. It appears Best Buy may have them in store.

Product page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800m2

Support page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800m2

Manual:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...43cf5641adf90fb7113c8029fdb0239/47408221M.pdf

Does DV function the same way as the X700: YES

App to help sort which titles are DV or not:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...ners-thread-no-price-talk-7.html#post58159088

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do we know anything about the apps? Netflix with DV and Atmos? Amazon , Vudu ?

I don't, I hope Netflix and Amazon function as expected on arrival, but maybe one of us will know soon.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I broke down and ordered one from bb here Tuesday. Promise not to gripe about dv toggle. Bb site has six reviews already. As far as apps go just Netflix,prime,YouTube,nothing else. All other comments were positive. I think it will be a good backup to my panny. They had them available for pickup but decided to have it delivered.

Reactions: gadgtfreek

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems I missed the first lot at VE, so mine will be a week or so before shipping...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't get Atmos to be recognized by Netflix.
Not sure why, I'll play with the settings.

Atmos does work with HD disks however, odd not Netflix

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I can't get Atmos to be recognized by Netflix.
Not sure why, I'll play with the settings.

Atmos does work with HD disks however, odd not Netflix
Did you set bitstream to on in settings.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Reported on the anticipation thread so far the Netflix app has just 5.1 no atmos.even with dv on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It only have 3 apps: Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube
Does the Amazon Prime app pass 4k HDR? The reason I ask is the PS4 Pro won't, it is limited to 2k.
I’m pretty sure when I tested Jack Ryan last night on the Prime app, it supported both Atmos and Dolby Vision 4K. I need to double check to confirm again as it was a real quick check, but I’m fairly certain all was working in that app.

And for those curious, Netflix also ran 4K with DV fine, but I could not find a way to get Atmos audio. Everything was just 5.1 for me.

·
UHD Addict
37,967 Posts
I’m pretty sure when I tested Jack Ryan last night on the Prime app, it supported both Atmos and Dolby Vision 4K. I need to double check to confirm again as it was a real quick check, but I’m fairly certain all was working in that app.

And for those curious, Netflix also ran 4K with DV fine, but I could not find a way to get Atmos audio. Everything was just 5.1 for me.
Was it DD or DD+? Because the x800 only outputs legacy DD from Netflix. No idea why Sony did that but I was hoping they changed things with the new player.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,020 Posts
I've never really been happy with the LG UBK90 since I got it 6 or so months ago, I've been looking for a better player. Tried the Panasonic UB820 but it ended up being more than I need. I was looking for something in-between the 2 players so I was excited about the x800M2. It was unfortunate when it was discovered it had the same Dolby Vision implementation as the x700, (a player I never even considered because of it's DV on/off thing). But then I decided to be a bit more open minded and if the manual DV aspect was the only "bad" thing about the player and everything else is what I want, maybe I can live with it.

Having said all that, I hate to admit it but the manual Dolby Vision control is pretty irritating. My plan was to just leave it off at all times, unless I am watching a DV movie in which case I will go turn it on. I am actually a big DV Fan so I know exactly what discs of mine have it. But the trouble is the player autoplays when you put a disc in. So I either have to remember to turn DV on/off before putting a disc in, or stop a disc and then go do it.

Is there a way to turn off autoplay?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I haven't streamed anything with this player yet but I just watched two movies back to back and when I removed the disks they were much cooler temperature wise than disks were when I removed them from my X700 or the Sammy I had. I watch everything with DV on, one movie was just HDR and the other was a DV movie and they both looked great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dark Side Of The Moon SACD and Faith Hill - Cry DVD Audio played very well the sound was great.
Thanks for the heads up! I don't even have a 4k set (haven't replaced my 70" 1080 quite yet) but I do have a ton of SACD and DVD-A and a new Pioneer Elite. This will be a nice, future proof, upgrade. Great audio now, and when I get a new screen I'll be ready.

Ordered.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've never really been happy with the LG UBK90 since I got it 6 or so months ago, I've been looking for a better player. Tried the Panasonic UB820 but it ended up being more than I need. I was looking for something in-between the 2 players so I was excited about the x800M2. It was unfortunate when it was discovered it had the same Dolby Vision implementation as the x700, (a player I never even considered because of it's DV on/off thing). But then I decided to be a bit more open minded and if the manual DV aspect was the only "bad" thing about the player and everything else is what I want, maybe I can live with it.

Having said all that, I hate to admit it but the manual Dolby Vision control is pretty irritating. My plan was to just leave it off at all times, unless I am watching a DV movie in which case I will go turn it on. I am actually a big DV Fan so I know exactly what discs of mine have it. But the trouble is the player autoplays when you put a disc in. So I either have to remember to turn DV on/off before putting a disc in, or stop a disc and then go do it.

Is there a way to turn off autoplay?
You don’t have to stop the disc to swap DV. Just hit the home button at any point and make the settings switch. Then go back to disc and progress is saved. I’ve been swapping back and forth regularly at any time during play. It auto pauses with home button.

Just not sure how autoplay is an issue? But I do wish I didn’t have to manually swap.

1 - 20 of 1622 Posts