AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1870 Posts

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,087 Posts
You don’t have to stop the disc to swap DV. Just hit the home button at any point and make the settings switch. Then go back to disc and progress is saved. I’ve been swapping back and forth regularly at any time during play. It auto pauses with home button.

Just not sure how autoplay is an issue? But I do wish I didn’t have to manually swap.
I did not know that! That certainly makes things easier. Do I just press home, goto settings and do what I need to do, then press Home again to go back to the movie?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't have the M2 in my hands yet until later today when it gets delivered. It would have been nice if Sony could have made a change to the remote control unit by adding a dedicated "Dolby Vision" button for quick access to the manual switching i.e. Toggle On/Off.

Hopefully, some day such a button command, could be programmed into the wide range of Universal Remote Controllers out there such as my Logitech Harmony. I would be happy about it and dismiss the pain of having to manually switch via going through Settings etc.

Of course, better yet, offer a auto-switching feature via a firmware update to their software. One can dream.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hope this isn't a stupid question but is making the DV switching automatic via firmware even possible?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hope this isn't a stupid question but is making the DV switching automatic via firmware even possible?
I don't see how it wouldn't be. From a programming point of view it's a simple IF statement.

I just ordered the 800M2 from Amazon. Should have it by Friday. I haven't been happy with the LG UBK90. It's OK but it suffers from the raised blacks via HDMI Dolby Vision bug on my LG C8. It is my understanding that the profile used by Sony actually fixes this issue. Even if I have to toggle DV in the menu, I'll trade that if I can watch Dolby Vision with proper black levels.

Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It would have been nice if Sony could have made a change to the remote control unit by adding a dedicated "Dolby Vision" button for quick access to the manual switching i.e. Toggle On/Off.

I wonder if anyone has ever used a Harmony Remote to make a solution to this issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just got mine today. Good build quality. 4K looks terrific. Will be using this only for 4K disc playback. No streaming or HD Blu-ray. Watched Aquaman in DV. Looks excellent. I know a lot of people complain about the manual switching needed for DV but I don’t find it all that big of a deal. When you start playing a disc it shows HDR. As another poster pointed out, it’s quite easy to then turn on DV after the disc is playing or vice versa. Yes, hopefully Sony will do a update allowing an ‘auto’ option for DV. Love the two free movies included. Highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Received my 800m2 this afternoon from Best Buy. Got the 2 free discs which I already own. I also own the panny 820. You all know it’s features and at this time I am not. Doing an in-depth review. Over all it has beautiful picture quality both in hdr and Dolby vision disc i would give the 820 a small edge there because of its many picture controls including the hdr optimizer but it is a bit over kill. The big negative for me is the dv toggle and so far no atmos in the network apps. It’s build quality is very good and runs whisper quiet. It was an easy set up connected wirelessly to the internet and did firmware update with no issue. The panny is less cumbersome with Dolby vision except for its Netflix app. I love my Panasonic and despite some dislikes to me I like the Sony as a nice backup player. Pending any operational issues I plan to keep it. The way some vendors are discontinuing making them its good to have a good backup. My wish is the add auto Dolby vision, atmos in Netflix and amazon but wont hold my breath. As far as recommending the x800m2 as long as no issues mainly freeze ups or other issues develop its a nice solid player. Worth the money.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Someone asked a bit back about the Netflix and prime apps they both do 4k hdr with Dolby vision off with it on Netflix everting shows Dolby vision logo prime still hdr neither does atmos.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever used a Harmony Remote to make a solution to this issue.
I don't know but I wouldn't put it passed someone to come up with some sort of macro command to navigate through the steps in order to activate the feature with a press of a buttons.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't see how it wouldn't be. From a programming point of view it's a simple IF statement.

I just ordered the 800M2 from Amazon. Should have it by Friday. I haven't been happy with the LG UBK90. It's OK but it suffers from the raised blacks via HDMI Dolby Vision bug on my LG C8. It is my understanding that the profile used by Sony actually fixes this issue. Even if I have to toggle DV in the menu, I'll trade that if I can watch Dolby Vision with proper black levels.

Hope it all works out.
I know this is off topic but could you tell me about the DV Bug with the UBK90 and LG C8? I have that exact combo of equipment and am concerned I don’t know about this. Can you link me to some details on it please. Maybe send me a PM. THANKS!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know this is off topic but could you tell me about the DV Bug with the UBK90 and LG C8? I have that exact combo of equipment and am concerned I don’t know about this. Can you link me to some details on it please. Maybe send me a PM. THANKS!
The LG C8 has a bug when playing Dolby Vision content over an HDMI connection. In some scenes, black levels are elevated and you don't get pitch black where you should.
The easiest way to spot it on the LG player is to pop in a Dolby Vision 4K blu ray with a widescreen aspect ratio. When the bug manifests itself, you will see that the black bars are no longer true black. They look grayish, like a cheap LCD. Watch in a dark room and it will be easy to see. If you walk up to the TV while it's happening, you'll see noise in the black bars as well.
On the Apple TV 4K I can confirm it is the Dolby Vision bug and not the content by forcing the same scene to play in HDR10. Then you get perfect blacks.
To bring this back on topic, the Sony X700 uses a special Dolby Vision profile needed to work with the Dolby Vision implementation Sony uses on their TVs. Basically, the player is doing the heavy processing instead of the TV. For some reason, this fixes the Dolby Vision problem on LG sets.
I bought the X800m2 because I'm positive it is using the same DV implementation. Sony wouldn't release a DV player that doesn't work on it's own TVs.
If I'm right, I'll finally be able to enjoy DV Blu Rays. As you know the LG player doesn't let you switch off DV if it senses your TV is compatible. It auto switches and plays HDR10 when that is the only thing available, and that's good. But if a movie has a DV, the player uses that. I was always stuck with elevated blacks.
The x800m2 seems to be just what I needed. Can't wait to get in delivered tomorrow.
Now, if only I could find a solution for DV on the ATV4K...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The LG C8 has a bug when playing Dolby Vision content over an HDMI connection. In some scenes, black levels are elevated and you don't get pitch black where you should.
The easiest way to spot it on the LG player is to pop in a Dolby Vision 4K blu ray with a widescreen aspect ratio. When the bug manifests itself, you will see that the black bars are no longer true black. They look grayish, like a cheap LCD. Watch in a dark room and it will be easy to see. If you walk up to the TV while it's happening, you'll see noise in the black bars as well.
On the Apple TV 4K I can confirm it is the Dolby Vision bug and not the content by forcing the same scene to play in HDR10. Then you get perfect blacks.
To bring this back on topic, the Sony X700 uses a special Dolby Vision profile needed to work with the Dolby Vision implementation Sony uses on their TVs. Basically, the player is doing the heavy processing instead of the TV. For some reason, this fixes the Dolby Vision problem on LG sets.
I bought the X800m2 because I'm positive it is using the same DV implementation. Sony wouldn't release a DV player that doesn't work on it's own TVs.
If I'm right, I'll finally be able to enjoy DV Blu Rays. As you know the LG player doesn't let you switch off DV if it senses your TV is compatible. It auto switches and plays HDR10 when that is the only thing available, and that's good. But if a movie has a DV, the player uses that. I was always stuck with elevated blacks.
The x800m2 seems to be just what I needed. Can't wait to get in delivered tomorrow.
I hope it's ok to reply to this since it is off topic. Thanks for the information about the Dolby Vision bug. Is it possible not everyone has it? i ask because...I am not sure I do. I have watched a ton of movies in Dolby Vision (I Love Dolby Vision) and I swear I haven't seen anything like wha you say. I do always watch DV content in the dark -- or near dark -- as well.

Is the issue obvious? You mentioned black bars being grayish and I have certainly never seen that! (I feel like that would stand out.) Can you name a few DV discs I can try where you have experienced the problem? Likewise, I do have an Apple TV 4K so if you can think of a few movies or shows where you also experienced the issue during playback, I can take a look and see how my system does.

Having gotten an X800M2, perhaps this will become a moot point for me. Though I am tempted to plug my UBK90 back in just to test things...

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Thought LG had fixed this via firmware? Or was it only for certain OLED models?

·
Registered
189 Posts
So I got an X800M2 to play with and I found that too determine if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding you should enable Dolby Vision output on the player, then start the disc.

Once the disc starts you press the "Display" button on the remote and the player will tell you if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding or just HDR, and that the player is outputting Dolby Vision to your TV.

Doing it the other way - leaving Dolby Vision off and pressing the "Display" button will tell you the disc has HDR encoding and that the playing is outputting HDR - it does not tell you if there is the disc is Dolby Vision encoded.

This is what it looks like when play Blade Runner 4K which is only in HDR when the Dolby Vision output is ON. You would want to turn Dolby Vision off so the correct HDR mapping is used.

This is Spiderman Homecoming 4K when Dolby Vision is on, the top area says the movie is encoded in Dolby Vision and the bottom are says it's being output in Dolby Vision. This is the optimal output for this disc.

This is Spiderman Homecoming 4K when Dolby Vision is OFF and HDR is ON, the top area says the movie is encoded in HDR (which it is)n and the bottom are says it's being output in HDR. This output will be fine, but from this state you can't tell if the disc has Dolby Vision.

I also tested Multi-channel SACD and it passed DSD to my Pioneer receiver.
DVD Multi-channel audio is output as MCH PCM as expected.

The build quality of the X800M2 is pretty nice - but it does NOT have an on-device display.

21 - 40 of 1870 Posts