AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 1134 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I'm playing with an 800M2. For network setup is there a way to change the IPV4 preferred setting?
I'm sure you've figured it out by now. The manual sucks, but if you go into the network setting, all is there.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Now the DVD+R disk I was burning to was more than ample to fit these two files. Do you think the Sony player cares that these folders are not on a BD-R disk?
Samsung players do not like BD layout on a DVD either.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What I have not found is a way to step through frames. With some players, pausing and then clicking on pause will result in a single frame step. Not with this player. Nor have I found a separate step button. I gather the Sony players can't frame step.

BTW, I've yet to take the original remote out of the packaging. :D
Try pause, then click FF once for each frame advance. Same for RR one frame back.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Apparently this unit is downsampling the digital output. Why is it doing that and how can I correct this?
You can't. IIRC, the optical and coax outputs do not have the bandwidth for 96kHz.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Try pause, then click FF once for each frame advance. Same for RR one frame back.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Edit: Yep, that worked.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
You are welcome.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Fedora comes with a DLNA server built in: rygel

I started it and had it serve up the QNAP TS-451A that I have media files on. I had been running Kodi on it. But, the software wasn't the most reliable. What it had going for it is that it would send the raw digital audio to the AVR, i.e., it would allow all audio formats. I can't say that for this player. It will not play DTS in MKV, nor DD+ in MKV, via the Home Network. I had switched to playing MKV files via VLC on the PeeCee.

Once I get this player set up in the home theater, I won't be using VLC. Now to do some testing with TS files.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Well, the manual says that with MKV and TS files that it might not be able to play them from a Home Network. Using the DNLA server on the NAS box, it would not. Am I going to have to use the Kodi streamer app on the NAS box and send that thru the new home theater AVR because the Sony is to stupid to play files over the network via DNLA? It is real stupid to not be able to play H.264 files. The manual shows no restrictions with HEVC MKV/TS files. I'm going to have to recode a file just to see if it will play it.

EDIT: I'm seriously thinking about abandoning doing DNLA file serving. It would be a royal PITA to have to recode files in order to view them this way, when the Kodi server works just fine. It is only a 4-disk NAS and would sit next to the AVR just fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can't. IIRC, the optical and coax outputs do not have the bandwidth for 96kHz.

No, this player (Sony UBP-X800M2) has the option to control the maximum sampling rate on the coaxial digital output to 48 kHz, 96 kHz, or 192 kHz (which would be pointless if it couldn't do it). It does send a 96 kHz signal over the coaxial output when playing a 96 kHz FLAC file. It does not have an optical digital output.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Like I said, IIRC. Seems not. :eek: True, it doesn't have optical, but the output spec for optical is the same for coax. That said, I therefor have no clue as to why it is doing what it is doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like I said, IIRC. Seems not. :eek: True, it doesn't have optical, but the output spec for optical is the same for coax. That said, I therefor have no clue as to why it is doing what it is doing.

OK thanks. I went round the mill with Sony customer service on this, and they gave me all kinds of answers which didn't really add up. I pointed out to them that their player from 2001, the DVP-NS500V, will output 96 kHz no problem from a DVD-Video that has that content, and eventually they said that regulations have changed, the implication being that they are now limited to 48 kHz over digital (non-HDMI) output. I for one don't believe them. I think I read somewhere that Blu-ray requires some limitation to 48 kHz over digital (non-HDMI), but even if that is true, how does that dictate any kind of limitation on DVD-Video? I would think that, in the software, they can put in a test to see whether the device is reading a DVD or a Blu-ray disc, and output 96 kHz as appropriate. I think they are just lazy, or misreading the requirements. The DVD-Video standard does (to the best of my knowledge) include 96 kHz, and if Sony is going to market a DVD player, which this is in addition to everything else it does, then it ought to support it. Especially given that they had no problem doing it 18 years ago!

In practical terms, how much of an issue is this? Well, I have created a couple of discs using lplex at 24/96, and I have purchased a couple of discs so encoded from AIX records. It is not that big an amount of material, and I don't know whether I could actually tell the difference between 96 kHz and 48 kHz. But it is still annoying, and I would think that a concern such as AIX records would be disappointed to see that their product is, in certain setups at least, not fully supported. The player does output the hi-res signal over HDMI, but not over coaxial, and not everyone has a receiver or DAC with HDMI.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I just pulled my DVD Demystified book and looked it up. 48kHz is the only sampling rate for DVD-video.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just pulled my DVD Demystified book and looked it up. 48kHz is the only sampling rate for DVD-video.

There is conflicting information out there. However:

"The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD-Video are: PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit Linear PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6,144 kbit/s...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dvd-audio-or-dvd-video-with-24-96.77600/
This has a discussion of the use of DVD-Video for 24/96 audio.

https://www.aixrecords.com/
I have a couple of discs from Aix Records that contain DVD-Video at 96 kHz/24-bits.

http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/
This is a software program you can use to make DVDs from audio files where the audio can be 24/96. I have used lplex to make DVDs that will show up as 96 kHz on my DAC or receiver.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/1355277-sound-quality-music-reviews-comments-sacd-dvd-7.html#post21467118
A post on this forum from 2012 where AVS Forum Special Member Philnick explains it all.

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Thanks for all of the info. Very interesting indeed. Especially the discussion about how optical SPDIF has the bandwidth to handle DTS-HD (for example), but is crippled not to.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks for all of the info. Very interesting indeed. Especially the discussion about how optical SPDIF has the bandwidth to handle DTS-HD (for example), but is crippled not to.
Yes. The artificially set limitations are not technical.
Problem is, when making SPDIF, they forgot about copy protection.
Hence no high-res formats are allowed and require HDMI.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Really good to know the program has been resurrected.
Tried it out - works well with HEVC, HDR10 and TrueHD Atmos.
Still have to try it out. The "look" is a bit different than before but I'm using a Mac. Thanks to mrvideo for posting the update!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I've been doing some digging into DLNA support with this player and the results are not good. I've been communicating with a contributor to the Fedora Gnome rygel project and he has pointed me to some information.

There is a website (https://spirespark.com/dlna/products/) that lists certified products and there are zero UBP products listed. If you look at the manual, the DLNA certification logo is not there. All clues that Sony is not giving its best toward DLNA support.

For the foreseeable future, I'll be using my NAS and Kodi to output thru HDMI to my AVR, leaving my player turned off (OK, standby).

701 - 720 of 1134 Posts