AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
They point to a location on how to create scripts in order to get the daemon running under Linux. The only writeup I saw for Fedora was for the old Fedora 15, which is way, way, out-of-date. They also provide a package for QNAP, but provide zero operational instructions. The program may be good, but the documentation is extremely lacking (IMHO).
OK. I am on Mac, so installation and operation was a no-brainer.
I use the console app exclusively for that.
BTW they have quite good Wiki https://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php
and Forum https://forum.serviio.org

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
As pointed out in the previous posts, this player's support of DLNA 4.0 is severly lacking. It isn't even certified.

·
Registered
782 Posts
As pointed out in the previous posts, this player's support of DLNA 4.0 is severly lacking. It isn't even certified.
And why is it important?
It plays all important formats, including more obscure ones like DSD.
UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision (profile 5) + Atmos and DTS:X are all there. I mean they work for me on my UBP.
I wonder what am I missing out on “severely lacking DLNA 4.0 support”?

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
I wonder what am I missing out on “severely lacking DLNA 4.0 support”?
You can't hook it up to your home LAN and expect to view files via your home server. Many these days have files on the home server, not just physical media.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You can't hook it up to your home LAN and expect to view files via your home server. Many these days have files on the home server, not just physical media.
Hmm, I must still be missing something.
It is exactly how it works for me! I share some folders on my server and enjoy SACD or UHD-HDR-Atmos on my UBP, connecting them via LAN.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
You're saying that MKV, and/or TS, files are shared to the player and your player doesn't complain about not being able to play them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
sony x800m2 - dolby atmos from uhd disc

Hi everyone, i bought yesterday this uhd player. Everything seems to work fine (apart dolby vision..but it's just my tv that doesn't support it)...but i figured out that it dont' show "dolby atmos logo" on the info replacing it with generic "dolby true-hd 7.1" even if my Onkyo TX-NR555 support it (i have no problems with dolby atmos and xbox one X using the same disc). It's just the missing logo and nothing else or it means that something is not working properly? if i press "display" on the remote i see (see the pic) dolby true HD, but if i press "info" on the Onkyo remote i see "dolby atmos". I don't understand. (forgive me for my english..and for my stupid question probably...i'm a newbie :p )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts
That's the way all players work. Only the receiver reads the ATMOS data. The player just sends it out to be decoded.

Reactions: ToonMasterTim

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm considering purchasing this player. Has anyone successfully macro'd / sequenced the DV toggle key presses on a harmony remote? Would this even be possible?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You're saying that MKV, and/or TS, files are shared to the player and your player doesn't complain about not being able to play them?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.
Obviously, there are limitations, esp. with MKV, and these are laid out in several posts here on forum (already in X800 and X700 threads).
Long story short, over DLNA:
-chapters not supported
-TrueHD only from m2ts, not from MKV (MKV's non-compliance problem)
-in MKV only text subs, no PGS. in m2ts the other way around.
All forms of DTS up to :X and HDR10 play from both file types.
Profile 7 Dolby Vision (straight off UHD-BD with 2 video streams) does play only from optical drive, not from any other source (DLNA or USB). I.e. the extra layer is ignored by the player when not on optical.

PS I landed on Serviio after trying out several DLNA servers. Mainly because of 2 reasons:
-it was the single one where I could play back SACD/DSD files without any messing with setups/player profiles
-it has nice easy setup and minimal user interface
At this vey moment Serviio has only one annoying bug (for my usecase), but according to developer it will be addressed in next version 2.1

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Then that means the DLNA server on my QNAP TS-451A is broken. I've since turned it off.

The serviio qnap x86_64 package for the NAS refuses to install, as it wants the JRE8 to be installed. The QNAP app center JRE version is 32bit (how dumb is that). The third-party qnapclub web page for their x86_64 version doesn't work. I have a forum query as to where to get a version.

In the meantime, I installed the tarball for my Fedora 27 server and that did not go well. After finding the log file, I discovered that it was complaining about ffmpeg. It only complained that the program woould not work correctly. Instead of continuing to run, since I won't be transcoding, it shut down. I thought that it was already installed. Installed it. Now all of the pieces run.

Then the player did not see my Fedora server. Sigh. I thought that I had the firewall turned off. It wasn't. I tried punching a hole for port 1900/UDP, but still nothing. So I shut it down. The router that I have has a firewall and I use it.

Now the player finally sees the server. While I see all kinds of categories, I see zero files. I added /NAS/Multimedia to the list, but nada. I just want it to show me all of the files in that directory, as well as the three subdirectories. No fancy category lists, etc.

EDIT:

Got it. I managed to somehow not hit the save button. I disabled everything but the folders for video and audio and I see what I want to see for a layout.

Plus, playing files WORKS!

Thanks for the nudge. Now to go onto the serviio forum to ask about getting systemctl operation set up. [now working as well]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sony UBP-X800M2 vs Sony UBP-X800

What’s the difference between the newer Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony UBP-X800 other than the price? I used the comparison tool on Crutchfield’s site and can’t find anything different.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
What’s the difference between the newer Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony UBP-X800 other than the price? I used the comparison tool on Crutchfield’s site and can’t find anything different.

What am I missing?
The original X800 had more apps but the newer one has only three with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I think the third is Hulu but I don't use them so I can't recall exactly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The original X800 had more apps but the newer one has only three with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I think the third is Hulu but I don't use them so I can't recall exactly.

Mine has Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube. I don't use them either. I couldn't get the sound to work on YouTube. I chatted with Sony tech support and they tried to get me to tinker with Bluetooth on my phone, not sure why.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Plus, playing files WORKS!
Congrats! DLNA UI pales against things like appleTV or Plex, esp. the spartan implementation on Sony, but it gets the job done for me.
PS You can also use Sony app TVSideView as controller.
My old UBP-X800 would also appear in Sony SongPal app and I could use that to browse the media and launch playback, but the M2 versions of bluray players have lost that funcionality, unforutunately.

Software is also a bit more "advanced".
It shows in 2 areas:
1) new icon design and sleeker font on homepage
2) additional 2 rows of info on the HUD to show also signal format being output from HDMI:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/3067046-official-sony-ubp-x800m2-owners-thread-no-price-talk-11.html#post58318128

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Congrats! DLNA UI pales against things like appleTV or Plex, esp. the spartan implementation on Sony, but it gets the job done for me.
My needs for DLNA playback are extremely simple.
PS You can also use Sony app TVSideView as controller.
There is no TVSideView in the Android Play Store. I found a Sony list of supported devices and no UHD player is listed. I guess they do not keep the list up-to-date.

I just found the Sony website about the app. As of October it is no longer being distributed on play store. Support for the app has also ended as of October 2019.

Oh well.

721 - 740 of 1134 Posts