AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking to get the X800 m2 by Sony.

Does anyone's X800 M2 still work after 2 years?

I heard that these go bad fast and are no good in the longevity department. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Very interesting.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I heard that these go bad fast and are no good in the longevity department. Is this true?
Where have you heard this?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

The Sony X800M2 has only been available for a little over 8 mos.

Please provide a link. I would like to read these potential concerns also.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just returned this player after having for a week. Despite loving all the features the player offered, I couldn't get past one thing--whenever the unit warmed up, the cabinet made very loud cracking noises, and then did the same thing when it cooled off. I'm sensitive to noises and this really bothered me.

Did anyone else experience this? Was I just unlucky?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I just returned this player after having for a week. Despite loving all the features the player offered, I couldn't get past one thing--whenever the unit warmed up, the cabinet made very loud cracking noises, and then did the same thing when it cooled off. I'm sensitive to noises and this really bothered me.

Did anyone else experience this? Was I just unlucky?
Sorry to hear this. Did you consider trying another 800M2.

Curious. Was the unit very hot to the touch. Where was the X800M2 installed?. Inside a cabinet, on a shelf, on top or bottom of other equipment?.

For ME, the only noise I can hear is when the disc tray door closes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Did you consider trying another 800M2.

Curious. Was the unit very hot to the touch. Where was the X800M2 installed?. Inside a cabinet, on a shelf, on top or bottom of other equipment?.

For ME, the only noise I can hear is when the disc tray door closes.
It was on top of a shelf directly under the tv (with a few inches of clearance above it) without anything blocking airflow, and it wasn't hot to the touch at all. It was just weird. I thought about trying another unit, especially since it was on sale (and is no longer on sale), but I have an LG player that I know works and doesn't make cracking noises. The main reason I tried the Sony was the supposedly silent drive. While it was slightly quieter than the LG, it wasn't $XX (no price talk) quieter and certainly wasn't silent.

If it means anything, the manufacturing date of the 800m2 was November 2019.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My needs for DLNA playback are extremely simple.
Same for me. I only use it for straight-through (no transcoding) playback of DSD, Hi-Res Audio and UHD movies with TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X.
For everything else, I use appleTV 4K.
There is no TVSideView in the Android Play Store. I found a Sony list of supported devices and no UHD player is listed. I guess they do not keep the list up-to-date.
Yes, turns out to be true.
TBH, Sony should give up creating software and stick to what they know best - AV hardware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone else get a periodic burst of displayed static when playing a SACD? The static is only the video display, the audio isn't impacted.

I have the video routed through a marantz 5007.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Does anyone else get a periodic burst of displayed static when playing a SACD? The static is only the video display, the audio isn't impacted.
Not me, said I. We seem to be repeating ourselves. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
It was on top of a shelf directly under the tv (with a few inches of clearance above it) without anything blocking airflow, and it wasn't hot to the touch at all. It was just weird. I thought about trying another unit, especially since it was on sale (and is no longer on sale), but I have an LG player that I know works and doesn't make cracking noises. The main reason I tried the Sony was the supposedly silent drive. While it was slightly quieter than the LG, it wasn't $XX (no price talk) quieter and certainly wasn't silent.

If it means anything, the manufacturing date of the 800m2 was November 2019.
I have both the X800 and the X800M2 and I've never heard any noises such as you describe. However, my first X800 unit on my main tv had to be exchanged due to random freezing and the unit would sometimes turn on by itself with nothing on the screen. My second X800 used with another tv has always worked fine with no freezing. So it seems to depend on the specific unit just like any other product you buy today. My X800M2 is around four months old and no problems so far. I do leave QuickStart ON, HDMI Control ON and no issues. It is used every day for at least two hours but I do not stream so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine has Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube. I don't use them either. I couldn't get the sound to work on YouTube. I chatted with Sony tech support and they tried to get me to tinker with Bluetooth on my phone, not sure why.
You're right, it's YouTube. But I'll have to try it just to see about the sound issue one day.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Please see my post above (753) but I think you mean the X800 as the M2 version was available around May, 2019 which is not even a year. The original X800 had some issues depending on the specific unit as the one I still have with the older build date works fine where the newer one had to be returned/exchanged for an M2 under an extended warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BD-R won’t play

My x800m2 won’t play any of my own recorded BD-R discs. Yes they are clean. Yes they are finalised. They play fine on my Panasonic Blu-ray burner/player and also on my PC. Why not on the Sony?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
NEW FIRMWARE for 800M2 available
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800m2/downloads/00016618

Applicable Models

This information is for the following models:

UBP-X800M2
IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

About this download

Benefits and improvements from the latest update
Fixes issues that may occur when using network services
Previous Benefits and Improvements
Improves image quality in specific scenes
File Info

File Name
Firmware update version M45.R.0052
File Version
M45.R.0052
File Size
187 MB (196,107,038 byte)
Release Date
02-13-2020

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My x800m2 won’t play any of my own recorded BD-R discs. Yes they are clean. Yes they are finalised. They play fine on my Panasonic Blu-ray burner/player and also on my PC. Why not on the Sony?
Per owners manual. May be a concern for you.

*2 BD-RE: Ver.2.1, BD-R: Ver.1.1, 1.2, 1.3 including organic pigment type BD-R (LTH type). The BD-Rs recorded on a PC cannot be played if postscripts are recordable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Per owners manual. May be a concern for you.

*2 BD-RE: Ver.2.1, BD-R: Ver.1.1, 1.2, 1.3 including organic pigment type BD-R (LTH type). The BD-Rs recorded on a PC cannot be played if postscripts are recordable.
Mine were made on my Panasonic Blu-ray recorder. My local AV shop has tested one of my disks and it works fine in everything except Sony 700, 800 or 800m2. A Sony problem then! Any chance of a Sony firmware update to address this?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine were made on my Panasonic Blu-ray recorder. My local AV shop has tested one of my disks and it works fine in everything except Sony 700, 800 or 800m2. A Sony problem then! Any chance of a Sony firmware update to address this?
What brand are you using? I have recorded many BD-R's using my Mac computer with an LG burner with no issues playing on both my Sony 800 and 800M2 models. But I've only used Verbatim 25gb discs so far.

EDIT: One other thing that comes to mind: what country are you in? I thought Panasonic recorders are not available in the U.S. if it's a consumer grade machine. You might have a region code issue then although I thought blurays don't have the same problem as regular dvd's.

741 - 760 of 1134 Posts