AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please use this thread to post your questions about the new Sony HS10. If you already own this projector, please post your comments, reviews, etc. in the OWNERS forum.

Thanks in advance to everyone for trying to limit the number of individual threads for this projector!

·
Registered
522 Posts
OK I want to be first!

Quick question for those of you that have demo'd the HS10 with multiple sources. How does it perform when switching between different video formats? Is it fast, slow? I'll have 480p and 1080i sources running to the same component input.

Also, can it auto-detect and switch automatically between composite, S-video, and component as I change sources on my receiver, or will I have to change it manually on the PJ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Video processing? I only know that the specs say 3 /2 pull down and I think that is Sonys proprietary algorithm and chip. Can it compete with FL2200? How does it do with an interlaced signal? How is the filtration? Does it seem adequate? Some one took a picture of a filter and it looked like it would stop anything. Hopefully Sony has improved the filtration based on some of the other LCDs having constant dust problems.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricT43
OK I want to be first!

Quick question for those of you that have demo'd the HS10 with multiple sources. How does it perform when switching between different video formats? Is it fast, slow? I'll have 480p and 1080i sources running to the same component input.

Also, can it auto-detect and switch automatically between composite, S-video, and component as I change sources on my receiver, or will I have to change it manually on the PJ?
Let's just say it isn't "fast". I am still trying to figure out the auto-detect thing as it seems to me to be struggling some... the manual is not particularly clear on how it works so it takes some fumbling.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Utopia
Video processing? I only know that the specs say 3 /2 pull down and I think that is Sonys proprietary algorithm and chip. Can it compete with FL2200? How does it do with an interlaced signal? How is the filtration? Does it seem adequate? Some one took a picture of a filter and it looked like it would stop anything. Hopefully Sony has improved the filtration based on some of the other LCDs having constant dust problems.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to answer.
The processing seems very good,... I shoot an interlaced component signal into the HS10 from my Daewoo DVD player and it looks like a million bucks :D

The PJ comes with an installed filter and a spare. Yes the filter looks good but I bought some "canned air" anyway and figure to check my filter and lens this next weekend (I am now at nearly 50 hours) just to see.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
How about horizontal pans with different sources -- nice and smooth or somewhat jerky?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssj2
How about horizontal pans with different sources -- nice and smooth or somewhat jerky?
No jerkyness that I can see. I was getting into shape to purchase of a nice progressive scan DVD player and doing all the necessary research and now just put that all on hold as I can't see where it would help me at all,... If you have a nice player with great features you will have to seek advise from some one else as mine is the cheapest of cheap and that's the only one I can experiment with and comment on. When you put the picture on "pause" with an interlaced signal of course you get a grainer image than a quality progressive scan player would give but that is a small sacrifice...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thanks blitzkreig.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Reading the post on 1:1 HTPC pixel mapping for the Sony HS10 @ 56 Hz I am curious to what the native refresh rate is on the projector (I guess it's the same as on the VW10/11/12HT)?

If the native refresh rate is 60Hz, sending [email protected] will cause tearing in the picture (which I guess not many would notice based on the moire patterns reported in the 1:1 pixel perfect images so far).

If the native refresh rate is 56Hz, sending [email protected] will cause tearing (some games may require 60Hz).

So, what is it? If the native refresh rate is 60Hz I will not buy the HS10 since sending in 56Hz with PowerStrip will cause tearing (it will still be 1:1 though). I really want to use my HTPC for picture control. To me, using 56Hz native refresh rate sounds like a really strange decision...

/Johan

·
Registered
159 Posts
blitzkreig,

I liked your HS10 pics!

Is your projector ceiling mounted? If so what is your ceiling height and what size extension are you using for your mount?

The HS10 will be my first projector so please forgive my noob questions. I have been told that a peerless mount works good but I need to know what size extension to get.

I have an 8' ceiling and will be projecting to a 100"+ screen. If you look at my room layout in my photo gallery , you can see the dimensions I have to work with.

Thanks in advance.

--Paul

·
Registered
959 Posts
Regarding the HS10 filter. I did a search but couldn't find the picture mentioned in an earlier post. Is the filter one that you clean with a vacuum cleaner several times before having to replace. Or do you have to replace it at a certain interval ?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The HS10 sounds like a great pj. But nowhere in the spec sheet does it make mention of what line doubing circuits it uses, like the DRC, which is in the 11HT and I presume the 12HT. Do you need to add an outboard line doulbler for s video improvements from sat boxs etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
OHH GREAT, this thread will be even more confusing than the 1:1 pixel mapping thread!!! Come On Mods! Is all this really necessary???? Do you guys have something against the HS10?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ComputerAddict
Is your projector ceiling mounted? If so what is your ceiling height and what size extension are you using for your mount?
I used a Chief mount but the Peerless looks nice too. From what I could tell they are similar in quality and price so what ever. I think the Chief is sort of "commercial" use product and so is pretty heavy duty and very flexible for use with many different makes,... all you change out is the mounting plate. I wanted to hug the ceiling fairly close (7'2" from my floor to the suspended ceiling) so my extension is only 6 inches and 1/2 of that is above the suspended ceiling. You can buy 1 1/2 inch black pipe from a local plumbing store cut to any length you want for only a couple of dollars. It just screws right in. The plate that screwed into my rafters is a "floor flange" and cost about $8 US from the same plumbing store,... that and a can of black spray paint and you are set :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>OHH GREAT, this thread will be even more confusing than the 1:1 pixel mapping thread!!!

I have to agree with you Chuck. I cannot possibly see how this is going to lead to anything other than absolute confusion. I like to follow/monitor threads individually.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WTS
The HS10 sounds like a great pj. But nowhere in the spec sheet does it make mention of what line doubing circuits it uses, like the DRC, which is in the 11HT and I presume the 12HT. Do you need to add an outboard line doulbler for s video improvements from sat boxs etc.

Thanks
I wouldn't buy an outboard anything until you test this thing first hand yourself. The documentation that comes with the HS10 is poor to say the least. This thing may have DRC for all I know. But holdit I thought DRC was a Sony version of MLA (reducing screen-door)... what ever... Lots of times manufacturers will reuse technology developed for their "highline" inside their lower priced machines, but not spell it out in their literature as that may eat into their higher prices model sales (and that's not wise). Sony paid to develop the software for the 10/11/12 and if you think about it why would they pay again to develop more software at all??? ... but I honestly don't have any idea what it is,... but it works for me what ever it is:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Coughlin
OHH GREAT, this thread will be even more confusing than the 1:1 pixel mapping thread!!! Come On Mods! Is all this really necessary???? Do you guys have something against the HS10?

Nothing against the HS10. We'll be doing this to several other projectors, too.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
I used a Chief mount but the Peerless looks nice too. From what I could tell they are similar in quality and price so what ever. I think the Chief is sort of "commercial" use product and so is pretty heavy duty and very flexible for use with many different makes,... all you change out is the mounting plate. I wanted to hug the ceiling fairly close (7'2" from my floor to the suspended ceiling) so my extension is only 6 inches and 1/2 of that is above the suspended ceiling. You can buy 1 1/2 inch black pipe from a local plumbing store cut to any length you want for only a couple of dollars. It just screws right in. The plate that screwed into my rafters is a "floor flange" and cost about $8 US from the same plumbing store,... that and a can of black spray paint and you are set
blitzkrieg,

Thanks! That helps a lot. I guess I won't worry about it because I can always buy whatever length of 1 1/2" pipe I need if I need to make adjustments.

If anyone else here has an 8' ceiling let me know what lengths you are using.

Thanks,

--Paul

1 - 20 of 386 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.