AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're an OWNER of the new Sony HS-10, this is the place to post your reviews, comments and information about the projector based on your ownership experience.

OWNERS: We'd appreciate it if you'd also check out the HS-10 questions thread to help provide information to those who are interested in this projector.

If you're not an owner of this projector, and your question doesn't specifically relate to something posted here by an owner, please post in the general HS-10 thread.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ok comparing the HS10 to my older CRT unit, as requested by someone, it simply isn't up to the Sony VPH-1251 in terms of black levels, in fact it was bugging me at one stage.

I put the cinema filter on and at first every thing seemed blue?

I tweaked the settings with video essentials and finally got a nice picture, again black levels not so black, but acceptable.

Screen door isn't a big issue, I can see it from about 1.5 screen width but then its so small its a bit like seeing scan lines on the CRT unit sometimes.

At about 1.8 screen width where I sit its not a problem at all and I cant see it.

I am watching PAL material and for PANS etc I cant fault it, I watched most of Apocalypse now and half of the fifth element last night, WOW.

It is certainly allot crisper than the CRT, how ever the fan noise is a bit higher than I expected!

http://www.users.on.net/jsparkin/hs10/DSC01144.JPG

http://www.users.on.net/jsparkin/hs10/DSC01147.JPG

Someone siad I thought they could change bias/gain etc for each of the panels, I only spent 10 mintues with the menu's and didnt find this....where is it?

I also think the memory stick function ROCKS, images come up so clear!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Powerstrip settings that work for Preset # 51(1366X768)

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1366x768=1366,65,142,207,768,1,3,21,79046,39

Generic timing details for 1366x768:

HFP=65 HSW=142 HBP=207 kHz=44 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=21 Hz=56

Linux modeline parameters:

"1366x768" 79.046 1366 1431 1573 1780 768 769 772 793 -hsync -vsync

Turn vertical keystone corrections off on the HS10.

Untick hide resolutions this monitor will not display in your display properties on your HTPC.

Note to self........Stay away from hostile Canadians :)

Thanks to JRWood (If he ever comes back) , Ray Lam, builty, defiler and Li On (others as well) .

Gentlemen, this is how a forum is supposed to work. Its open to the public so you will always have some confusion. I think we as a group have answered this important question. I would also say if you think the HS10 fits your needs, buy one.

·
Registered
617 Posts
okay, you lucky owners, tell me these things if you will:

1) how's it do w/ ambient light?

2) how much does the sideshot affect picture clarity?

3) anyone actually tested different screens w/ this pj yet??

4) how much bass can it put out?

okay, just kidding on #4...

:D

Thanks for the help

~rob

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ambient light - not too badly at all its got plenty of punch in terms of brightness

Side shot is better than I thought! In fact quite a pleasant surprise, then again I only tried it with SVHS, but I wont be using it myself, only to see what it was like

I have only used it with my matt white screen

bass?? the internal speaker is quite feeble and is about 1 3/4 inches and only works with audio from the memory stick and I think computer input cable, not for normal video inputs - I haven't had any sound out of it except for the fan and the "click" when it shuts off

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,073 Posts
Any HS10 owners in the DC area willing to show off their new PJ? I'd like to see it in action and can bring over my Hitachi 5500 for an A/B comparison. Any takers? Have beer, will travel. ;)

Send me a PM. TIA.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Watch This

What color is that wall that you're projecting on and what is the size of the projected image?

Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
when you turn it off, the fan runs for a minute or two then theres quite an audible relay click and its off!

·
Registered
14 Posts
JSP

I have been playing with my new HS10 for a couple of days now, and am also disappointed with black levels. Could you possibly post the settings you are using with the cinema filter? Like you, I found the colours a bit strange when I tried it. I don't have any of the calibration DVD's yet, but thinking I might invest in one.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Pappanastos
Watch This

What color is that wall that you're projecting on and what is the size of the projected image?

Thanks
it's an off-white wall, and the image is about 8 feet wide...plain old S-video too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
okay, you lucky owners, tell me these things if you will:

4) how much bass can it put out?

okay, just kidding on #4...

~rob

Depends if you are watching the Outdoor Life Channel or not....

:D

Dennis (sorry, I had to...) :p

·
Registered
595 Posts
Grapevine, I haven't spent half the time tweaking I would like too, and everybody probably has their own taste in picture quality!

I sat in front of 7 inch CRT's for 10 years so black levels are bit of an issue for me. I am going to try a grey screen after Christmas and some more masking as well.

But I have to admit its one of the best LCD's I have ever seen. Thats why I bought it :) I tried a sharp m20 DLP and it was "uncomfortable" to watch.

http://www.users.on.net/jsparkin/hs10/DSC01160.JPG

If anyone knows how to change the levels of the individual panels I would like to know, I seem to have a pinkish hue on some things like clouds etc!

These pic's were taken in the middle of the day with 2 uncovered windows so they are very washed out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsp
I seem to have a pinkish hue on some things like clouds etc!
try taking off the lens filter, if u have it on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Neil, according to Sony's HS10 Throw chart a 92" diag. 16x9 screen needs 11.6 feet minimum. The link to the Sony throw chart is in This link posted by Schwa. Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
595 Posts
watch this said : try taking off the lens filter, if u have it on.

do you mean the cinema filter or the lens hood/cover?

(might sound like a dumb question this is my first LCD only ever had CRT)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsp
watch this said : try taking off the lens filter, if u have it on.

do you mean the cinema filter or the lens hood/cover?

(might sound like a dumb question this is my first LCD only ever had CRT)
the cinema filter... place it over a white piece of paper, and u can see where all the pink overtones are coming from. :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
I realise that, I allready posted a pic of the cinema filter, maybe its just me and my perception of the image, I had people over last night for LOTR and they couldnt see what I was talking about!

Is there a service menu or something where we can tweak the individual drive for the panels? There just doesn't seem to be allot of options for picture tweaking is all

·
Registered
522 Posts
jsp - I'm sure you'll need to get into the service menu to do that if there's no adjustment in the user menus. I'm a little disappointed that they are not present - this is the biggest complaint I have about my RPTV right now too. Anyone serious about picture quality is going to want to adjust the color balance - why do they have to make it so difficult? Or maybe the real question is, why can't they just adjust it correctly at the factory?!?!?

We are probably going to have to wait for someone to get a peek at a service manual and tell us what the codes are. I'm probably going to try the SMART program once I get mine. Steve Smallcombe told me that the 11HT program should work for the HS10, so I'm hoping the service menu code and parameters to adjust are included in the SMART package.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.